Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

obi_ant posted:

I'm in need of a computer chair. I've been sitting on a crappy Ikea chair for the past 4 years and I'm sick of it. I'm basically looking for something that will last a long time and be super comfortable. I'm not looking for anything super pricey, but I don't know what is considered a good price for a chair. I sat on this for a while in the store, but I didn't know about the longevity of the chair, so I didn't pick it up. I think $200 is the maximum I'm willing to spend, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

I had that for a few years and it was super comfy, I'm 6'3" and it was nice to be able to lean my head back. My cat loved to scratch it up but besides that it held up great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Looking for recommendations on a Bluetooth earpiece, the kind douchebags keep in their ear all day to look busy.

I won't use it for phone calls, I just want to be able to listen to podcasts in one ear while working and for it to be durable enough to jam in my pocket full of other crap.

I've only looked at a few at a ghetto cellphone store and they didn't all seem to be able to play audio other than calls.

If there's Bluetooth earbuds that would work individually that would be great since I'd have a backup once I destroy the first one.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

One Day Fish Sale posted:

I really like the QCY Q26. $10 on eBay, decent battery life, charges in 15-30 minutes. The only problem I have with them is that I keep sending them through the wash, and they don't survive that.

Thanks, ordered!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

If you're using mats IKEA has a wide variety of cheap but good looking frames. I've also heard good things about Michaels custom frames especially if you use a coupon, I guess they're supposed to have frequent sales there but I haven't tried it yet myself.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Maybe a baby gate or one of those cans that scares pets with compressed air blasts.

PetSafe SSSCAT Spray Deterrent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RIA95G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jR8ZzbYNMBY0F

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

OSU_Matthew posted:

I figure this is probably the right crowd to ask about this... Can anyone recommend a home planetarium projector? Preferably something a step up from the 30$ pinhole projectors, something more like the Sega Homestar.

I feel like there should be some really great stuff out there in 2017, but I'm not really finding much in the way of innovation like other consumer products.

I don't know anything about these but your post made me end up buying this cheapo one
http://s.aliexpress.com/MFvmeInM

Kinda want to look into the sega too if it does anything amazing.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

We have a tendency to smash wine glasses, I need something that can take some abuse. I'm open to creative ideas, it doesn't have to be especially cheap or have a stem. I might have to get a few pimp chalices if I can't come up with something better.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Not the worst idea, but we're old and not that sloppy, the dog took out the last few with a tail wag. I'm just looking for something fun that I don't have to worry about and I haven't found anything especially interesting yet.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

bongwizzard posted:

We mostly use the smallest size mason jars as wine glasses do to similar clumsy/dog issues. But really any tumbler-like glass works fine.

Funny you say that, we've been using the baby mason jars too since we already have a lot of them. Maybe I'll stick with that. We'll see.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Tiggum posted:

If you don't care about them having stems, just go to your nearest supermarket and buy some cheap glasses of whatever size you prefer. If they break, go get some more.

Well yeah I have basic glasses, just checking if there's anything better around. I'm not just drinking out of a bottle since a couple stems broke.

Dewgy posted:

You can do pretty well with plastic wine glasses these days.

MICHLEY Unbreakable Wine Glasses, 100% Tritan Plastic Shatterproof Wine Goblets, BPA-free, Dishwasher-safe 12.5 oz, Set of 4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013OWBRD4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_tM-9zb88TKWRE

(This might be a referral link? I dunno, I copied it from the app.)

These were the nicest I could find on a quick search, but I have a set of less fancy ones that we grabbed at the local supermarket for like three bucks each. Got a bunch of clear ones for a play my mom was in and a set of colored ones for the house.

Not the worst idea, I hadn't considered plastic really. I'd have sooner thought about getting a glass blower to make some retardedly thick ones with short stems but I'll see what's new in the plastic world in the meantime.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Bag balm

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Van Dis posted:

4) it makes game board purists very mad.

I didn’t know this part, going to have to look into that. I’ve got the game but only played once, can confirm it’s fun

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Fall Dog posted:

I have no idea if such a service exists, but does anyone know if it's possible to get a book reproduced on canvas?

For a while now I've been wanting to get Dinotopia printed on canvas, with hand drawn/painted artwork because I think it would be a trip using it to make a kid think it was written by an ancestor.

Is there a place that does this, or am I just slightly insane for wanting this?

You can try finding a local artist, it doesn’t sound too hard but it likely won’t be cheap depending on how well you want it done. You mean just the book cover? Or a portrait of an ancestor holding the book like they wrote it? That sounds pretty funny.

Also AliExpress has plenty of artists who do custom painting, you just have to be very specific and give good references to work from so you leave as little up to them as possible.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Fall Dog posted:

Uhh no I mean like the entire book printed on canvas/sail cloth and hand bound or whatever so it looks like the a personal journal that's been written by a great great grandfather from shipwreck scraps.

I would take a class in bookbinding and DIY because it’s an insane thing to commission unless you’re ready to burn money. As someone who actually does make things look old like that and has taken bookbinding classes, it’s fun and I recommend it. Maybe just start with one short chapter of the book, doing the whole thing is a little ridiculous tbh.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anyone have experience with key finding fobs like Tile? I want one for my keys and one for my wallet so I’m thinking about getting the Tile sport/style and a slim. There’s also the Keyringerxl that sounds pretty good for range but maybe not much else.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Big Skinny is great, much better for back pockets. You just have to train yourself not to routinely shove garbage in there.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m looking for something to listen to audio while sleeping. I’ve seen headbands with earbuds in them and things with speakers that you slide under your pillow, but haven’t tried any of them yet. I have tried putting an earbud under the pillow which was great but I end up feeling like the princess and the pea- that little earbud was annoying under my thinnish pillow. I’m hoping there’s something less obtrusive.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Kilometers Davis posted:

I use AirPods and they’re extremely comfortable as a side sleeper. They come out by the time I wake up but they’re always just under me. This is irrelevant if you don’t use an iOS device of course.

Lots of people love SleepPhones.

I’ve tried earbuds in my ears but then I end up waking up wondering why my face hurts then realizing I’ve been sleeping for hours with an earbud pressed into my cheekbone.

Any idea how thick the speakers in the sleepphones are?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Rock candy looks great but is a slobbery mess to eat and you might as well just suck on a sugar cube as far as flavor goes.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m a hot sleeper and usually like firm normal mattresses but recently I slept on a Wonderland soft foam mattress and had an incredible night of sleep without overheating and now I don’t know what’s real.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anyone especially knowledgeable about roomba type vacuums?

I need one that’s under $500, as good on pet hair as possible and is less likely to get caught up on anything it hits like the old one I have.

Now I see there’s lots of brands and models and I have no idea which to get.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Awesome, thank you both, that helps a lot. Now I just have to look up next gen roombas to see when they might launch :v:

I’ll probably go for the 890

E- yeah drat that i7 is sweet but gently caress proprietary bags. Maybe AliExpress has some bootlegs.

Snowy has a new favorite as of 07:47 on Dec 24, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Get a necklace with a little platinum carabiner for easy ring stowing

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Organza Quiz posted:

Recs for earplugs of the "protect ears from damage at loud concerts" type? Is there another word for that?

Etymotics are good and pretty cheap

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What are the good sites for Chinese mailorder prescription eyeglasses? I thought it was discussed here recently but haven’t found it.

Someone suggested a place where the prices start around $20 but you should spring for anti glare.

E- nm, found it in the AliExpress thread, it was Zennioptical btw.

Snowy has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Mar 22, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m looking for a new thin bifold wallet. I’m not so crazy minimal that I want money clipped on the outside or anything, just a simple one that holds a few cards as well.

I’d also love to have a color that makes it easy to spot and a material that isn’t so slick that it wants to fall out of my pocket. I used to have a Big Skinny but I don’t like how slippery it was.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What’s the coolest temperature-wise thinnish pillow?

I am a way too hot sleeper and was tempted by some diy liquid cooled pillow instructions I saw but that also seems insane.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

mrking posted:

I used one of those water bladder pillows for a summer when our A/C was busted and it worked pretty well. I would throw it in the fridge in the afternoon and it'd be super chill when I was going to bed. I now have a latex pillow which I love and wouldn't change for anything though.

Cool thanks I didn’t know about those water bladder things!

How’s the latex heatwise? Ok or is the comfort the big draw?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

colas posted:

Both of those come in s-xl sizes. One takes 4+ hours, the other takes as little as 20 minutes? Instant pot is a pressure cooker, Crock is so cool you can go work and come home to a nice pot roast.

Instant pot gets you that crockpot quality pot roast so fast you don’t have to bother waiting that long

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

You didn’t love your records? :confused:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Loofas are natural

Pack of 6 Natural Loofah Luffa Loofa Exfoliating Bath Body Shower Sponge Scrubber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019CV86ZI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.M7cDb4CGZETG

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A while back itt I got some recommendations for the Roomba i7. The price on Amazon dropped from $800 to $539 and I’m tempted to grab it but is there some reason it’s not a good idea like they won’t keep supporting the app or something? I see there’s a new fancy model that the top of the line now but it’s like $1300 so forget that.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I tried a few of them from AliExpress and didn’t really like any but they did work. There’s a variety of styles there, and they’re like $1 each.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

PRADA SLUT posted:

That's what I'm wondering.. if someone with a Tile / similar setup is nearby, will it track the location that way?

Yeah there’s a network of tile users and if any of them are near it you should get a signal. I use a tile in nyc and it says there’s some crazy number of people around me in their network. Right now I’m upstate and it says there’s 330 tile users around but that’s in a pretty large area so it’s not very reassuring.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I got the long version of this very hipsterish iPhone cord and it’s the most durable I’ve ever had. Free shipping now too

https://www.nativeunion.com/collections/charging-cables

E- This one specifically. I love it.

https://www.nativeunion.com/products/belt-cable-xl

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Looking for a recommendation for glass jars, primarily large ones for food storage, but a few smaller ones for spices as well.
I see a bunch of options, but no idea which ones are durable without being exorbitantly expensive.

Ball jars all the way, they’re cheap and you can’t get much more practical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sDNIwAx2g8

Also I like using the one cup size for wine but I have a huge collection of these jars

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Inzombiac posted:

Please spend more than $50 if you can BUT thread count is a scam.

If you sleep cold or like being toasty, some mid-range flannel sheets are just about as comfy as you can get.

I usually don’t like high thread counts but never really put it together that they’re cooler and now I might be converted.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I have no helpful info but that’s a cool work area

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Tweezerman is great and I think still has free sharpening for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I need a file cabinet, something ideally with two file drawers and a small stuff drawer on top.

This one looks ok, I like that it has wheels:

Lorell LLR17427 SOHO Mobile Cabinet, Black https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004GZBHZM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1TKC6PGX13Z1YEMH8084

This one is the right idea but the reviews make it sound really flimsy:

https://www.target.com/p/hirsh-3-drawer-filing-cabinet-steel-off-white/-/A-14796066

I’ve seen some that are made so you can turn the files sideways and fit legal size folders. That’s pretty cool but seems unusual.

So, anyone know a cabinet along these lines that they love?