Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Need a gym bag- any suggestions? Doesn't have to be big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

FutonForensic posted:

Is it just to hold clothes and maybe a towel? I just use a cheap drawstring bag.

Ideally it'd have to hold shoes, hygiene gear, sandals, change of clothes, and other random poo poo, so it can't be too tiny :( I just don't know if the Adidas gym bags that everyone has are worth it.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Beachcomber posted:

My wife has a medical condition which basically turns her brain into pudding when she overheats. We already have a cooling vest and a "kool tie" you soak in water for slow evaporation. Anyone have experience with anything else we can use to beat the heat?

An air conditioner.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

travisray2004 posted:

Speaking of backpacks, I'm after one that isn't huge as I'm going to be using it when on my motorcycle, but has a good use of space. Currently I'm using one of the drawstring backpacks and it's not bad but the drawstrings are annoying as hell when trying get them over a jacket and while wearing gloves. Looked into hiking packs but they seem to be almost the same but costing more. Looked at motorcycle backpacks but they're either goofy, expensive or goofy and expensive.

5.11 Rush 12. I've had mine for 4 years and travelled everywhere with it. It's cheap and tough as nails. Lots of room for all your gear and if you get it in black it's very low profile. 5/5 stars.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Irritated Goat posted:

Goons, I need a new wallet. I'm currently using a phone\wallet case but want to move to something a bit slimmer since I'm also looking for a car phone mount as well. Help?

I love these wallets

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002...6YTL&ref=plSrch

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
iPhone 7+ cases?

Trying to decide whether I want to get a leather folio type case or a spigen-type plastic case. iPhone is white/silver, the plus model. Help me decide!!

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

we are the Funyuns posted:

Be sure to finish off the look with all-white Skechers or New Balance. Hth.

I prefer white vans thank you very much.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

I am already dying of cold this winter. Please recommend me products that will help keep me warmer. Are any of the battery socks any good? I do have clothes with good insulation, like Pendleton scarves, but I really need things that make the heat for me.

I have a heated blanket, and I sleep between two moose hides. My father says he will get me a heated mattress pad for Christmas. So in terms of bed stuff, I think I am OK. I mostly need stuff for when I am sitting down and working.

What kind of job do you have that you can't just take a portable electric heater to and plug it in at your desk? And how far up north do you live that it's already that brutally cold where you're at :stare:?

As someone who dives for a living in very cold water in upper New York State (wetsuit too, not drysuit) for 6-8 hours a day, I can suggest a few things.

There's lithium-battery powered vests (for diving, surfing, and hunting) and other kinds of wearables that have wires in them that heat up and provide heat for a few hours. Just google "thermalution vest". But that's dependent on what you do at your job I guess.

Also, take a thermos with plenty of hot liquids to drink. You'd be amazed at how much warmer you can be if you drink warm fluids.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bongwizzard posted:

A coworker of mine had one of those battery-powered heating coats it was more or less garbage that weighed like 15 pounds and really didn't produce a reasonable amount of heat.

Hunt around online and buy Arcteryx Atom LT jacket or hoodie. They are absurd absurdly warm for their weight and bulk, and are slim fitting enough that you can layer another jacket over them if you need to. Wearing one feels like being snuggled up in a sleeping bag in the best way possible and they can pack down to like the size of a large grapefruit.

Also all arcteryx gear is absurdly overpriced.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bongwizzard posted:

I thought so too until I got one of their jackets, it's worth every penny.

Meh, I have one of their jackets too and I'm not amazed by it. TBF I got it issued to me by Uncle Sam when I was in the USMC

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Eponine posted:

I finally saw someone about my persistent foot problems and I was admonished for wearing unsupportive shoes. So besides going to an orthopedic doctor next month, I need to find decent shoes that won't aggravate a stress fracture in my foot. The problem is that I have very high arches and extremely tiny feet (Euro 36, US women's 6-6.5, US men's 4.5-5). I also work in a casual work environment and don't want to wear running shoes to work. Normal width is fine, I just don't want to be stuck wearing grandma shoes for the rest of my life.

https://jet.com/product/detail/5927...CFd1XDQodFEgPnw

I like these. I'm a guy with ridiculously high arches and basically ballerina feet. These inserts really help with supporting my arches.

I have a very active lifestyle that includes hiking, carpentry, outdoor work; etc... you won't regret them.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

black.lion posted:

Y'all could try that rope bag from Kavu that everyone has - it's unisex and comes in a billion colors and isn't expensive

http://www.kavu.com/Product/923/Rope_Bag.aspx

But really...

https://missionworkshop.com/collections/backpacks/products/the-sanction-rucksack-backpack

That rope bag is cool as heck

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I got a Nantando Swatch

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Lady Gaza posted:

~25L backpack recommendations? I need it for two purposes: mainly carrying my 13" laptop, gym kit and lunch to/from work and also for when I go travelling as a day pack.

It therefore needs:
-laptop sleeve
-some organisation to it, at least a main and a front pocket, but more compartments useful to put my shoes/food/camera/guidebook etc in
-bottle holder
-decent zips
-a mix of smart/plain for work, and functional for travelling; a lot of backpacks I've seen are way too smart to take travelling or too hiker/'tactical' to be used for daily commuting

Amazon or shops available in the UK would be great.

The North Face has like dozens of packs that fit this category

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I'm looking for a lightweight, hopefully water resistant, coat with hood that can fold into itself. One of the things I truly hate is being caught in cold rain and New Mexico's monsoon rains have been pretty chilly this year. That or I'm just getting more intolerant of the cold. I asked in YLLS's hiking thread but nobody answered.

There's an outdoor gear site called sunnysports that has usually has nice sales on rain jackets. A poster above recommended the PreCip jacket and it's pretty good, but unless you're wearing something like a fleece or a sweater under it, you're gonna stay cold. Either wear a lightly insulated Gore-Tex jacket (check out Arc'teryx Fission SV jackets) or wear a layering system.

Good luck!

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

couldcareless posted:

My work backpack which I use to carry around my laptop and several tools and extra cables, cable tester, etc, is falling apart. I am beginning to shop for a replacement but don't want to break the bank too bad so my budget is probably under $100. Any good suggestions? My only requirements are basically a separate sleeve that can at the minimum fit a 15" laptop and hoping that it can survive daily fairly rough use.

I have a timbuk2 messenger that I really like and has really stood up to the test of time, but it's too small for my regular work carry. What I do really like about the timbuk2 messenger is the ballistic nylon they use for the fabric. If I could find something like that for material, it would be ideal.

The 5.11 RUSH 24 packs are amazing

Also The North Face packs are great too.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

AnimalChin posted:

Truth. My 5.11 bag is incredible but be aware it doesn't have any sort of support/padding/protection for a laptop.

It is, however, tactical.

They have decent enough support, I mean there's a frame sheet in the back that makes it rigid. I'm sure they have laptop compatible models, the Rush packs are more general purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Furia posted:

What’s it called when long sleeved shirts have like a little hole for you to put your thumb through

I’d like to get a couple shirts in that style

I have a Patagonia Tropic Comfort shirt that does this and I love it. It’s lightweight and super airy. Also has an attached hoodie to protect your neck, but they sell one without the hood.