Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Danger Mahoney posted:

It's a deep cut copypaste from a really old SA thread.

Man I miss effort comedy. Margarita machine threads were the tits

The problem is when you find out people took you seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBm04npLu6I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Panda Time posted:

You could make a liquid cooled heat sink for your boxfan like this guy did:

https://imgur.com/a/jgvlM

Which he fills with freezepacks from his in-room refrigerator. :master:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

various cheeses posted:

Is that a tiny comb?

The target audience does'nt have a lot of hair.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

One Day Fish Sale posted:

Also, I bought this during the last Nashbar 25% off sale, and it's been surprisingly good and not poo poo.

What does a one day fish sale need with a bicycle sale?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

Gold is $1200 an ounce. A small gold bar is about 35 oz.

The one on cody's lab wasn't that big (30 grams / 1 ounce), but yeah, gold is pretty dang expensive atm.

If you just want a little gold to screw around with, I usually buy my gold wire from Rio Grande.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sappo569 posted:

Can anyone recommend a good quality magnified LED makeup mirror ?

For my mom. She wants the kind that go on the wall and have an arm, one side is slightly magnified and like 10x on the other side

Needs to be hard wire-able

I ordered one from amazon in time for Christmas , she opened it Christmas morning to find the magnified side is in backwards or something because the image is upside down

They won't honor a return as its past 30 days, loving $300 for this pos

Not sure about the quality of any specific one, but I was doing price comparisons with Alibaba and those mirrors are one of the items that has loving insane markups going from Chinese sellers to American ones. Like $5-$10 on Alibaba.

EDIT: Search link for Ali Express, if you want to gamble. Ali Express isn't as cheap.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 07:03 on Dec 30, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

I'm making a few specimen jars and I'm trying to find a fake brain that I can keep submerged in water.

Do I have a link for you!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799626

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is there a recommend me a laptop megathread?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Thanks

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

noni that I know of

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Snowy posted:

Anyone have experience with key finding fobs like Tile? I want one for my keys and one for my wallet so I’m thinking about getting the Tile sport/style and a slim. There’s also the Keyringerxl that sounds pretty good for range but maybe not much else.

I tried a couple - Tile definitely works a lot better than XY findit.

It's a bit of the pain to change the batteries on tiles but certainly doable.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just get a LCD clock and a cheapo flashlight

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the cheapo 12 dollar one I got at walmart worked okay, despite ostensibly being a vicks vaporizer

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LululeMon had a cool arc in season 4

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

That's what I'm wondering.. if someone with a Tile / similar setup is nearby, will it track the location that way?

it's an option if you report something as lost for it to get searched for by everyone else with the app

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Anyone recommend a white noise machine? My partner keeps having issues with random noises keeping em up at night and I've been trying for like 3 years to convince them to get one to no avail.

I got an air purifier at costco and it doubles as a very nice white noise machine.

Seems to help with waking up congested during pollen season too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If you have access to a sandblaster (from a makerspace or whatever), this should work without making things TOO inaccurate

A) Get some blank clear dice

B) Using tape, mask off the areas you want to remain transparent

C) hit the dice with a sandblaster, making the rest of the surface rough and opaque

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I built one myself like 20 years ago for not too much, it was pretty easy (all the complicated electronics are handled by cannibalizing off an existing controller)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

Kyla Bennett, an ecologist and attorney in Easton, Massachusetts, subscribes to a school of thought called antispeciesism, which considers the preferential treatment of any animal species over another, humans included, to be unethical
Oh, an antivaxxer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ham Equity posted:

Probably cross-post this, but is there a good way to get temporary internet? Our fiber is down, and there's a tech out tomorrow, but if there's an option to get things up before the weekend (even if it were just 4G or something), that would be great. South Seattle, if it matters. I checked out Verizon home internet and Google Fiber Webpass, and neither of those are available at my address.

can you use your cell as a wireless hotspot?