Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

imo the ones the Wirecutter recommends have been perfectly fine for myself and the Mrs. nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-sleep-mask/ More power to you on the silk ones but these do well enough for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Lived here all my life and I've never heard of/seen this before. Though it doesn't surprise me South Carolina would have a hand in it. They're the Mississippi of the Eastern Seaboard.

Related note: If anyone knows of a knockoff PB crisps that is readily available I would be insanely interested in hearing of it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Snowmankilla posted:

I am tired of trying to get my wallet, chapstick, keys, phone, and pocket knife in my pockets. Let alone a mask/anything my kids may need. I have a backpack, but am looking for something smaller. Any advice/ recommendations for something that a not cool 40 year old dad could wear? I am leaning Fanny pack , but not sure I am ready to be 80s dad around the waist, but not cool enough to wear across the chest like a rapper?

Any other not cool dads?

I got you fam. https://www.peakdesign.com/products/everyday-sling?variant=29742302068780

The 3L is better for EDC “don’t call it a purse” type stuff. I have the 6L and it carries my camera and a few necessities just fine. They also have a new bag that’s more purpose build for carrying random crap, but I’m not fond of the look.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Can’t recommend Peak Design’s stuff enough in general. Excellent build quality and well thought out.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Fs in chat for The Wirecutter. Anyone got a good reviews website?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

If they gated that to the new articles and had a rolling backlog of freely available stuff I wouldn’t mind as much. I’ll peruse most of their stuff as it comes out as part of the ol Morning coffee but then you limit yourself from actual searches when you need them. The affiliate link game ain’t a money maker and the NYT wants a ROI for that purchase.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I have this one. It looks like they’ve moved to a newer version but you might be able to find one for about that price point. It’s pretty good, I have no complaints.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_70F4RYR05795C6B10VWE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Wait, I do have one minor gripe. The audio out whatsits are on the sort side so you’re likely going to want to get some extenders if you aren’t going to have it right beside your amp or whatever.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I bought this one a while back for just carrying the few cards I actually cared about and it’s held up well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM0Z036/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_WAIuzEiW2U94t

These days I just put it in my purse camera sling and don’t sweat it at all.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The one the wire cutter recommends is really good, but it’s shredded foam if that matters to you.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Rolo posted:

I got a laptop for work and it’s time to stop using a backpack. I’m now in the market for a messenger bag! I’d prefer some durability on the butt part because it’s going to have a MacBook and 2 iPads in it. They’ll all be in cases/sleeves so it doesn’t have to be armored, just not super thin and cheap.

I also prefer over one shoulder to the side and not something I have to have across my chest. I won’t be walking miles with it and I’d like to grab things out of it without taking it off.

Any recommended brands to get me started?

I’ve not tried Peak Design’s dedicated messenger bags, but I’ve never had a product of theirs that I wasn’t a fan of. Their larger sized everyday bags may be able to fit in the computer stuff and have plenty of room for snacks or whatever left over.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

The work secret santa has given me someone who I don't know and only has "formula 1" listed as his interests.
I am at a total loss for ideas, I know nothing about what someone who likes any kind of racing might enjoy. All I can think of after some research is a poster of the 2022 race schedule/maps. I don't feel confident about it but that's all I've got.
Does anyone have any ideas or, at least, keywords I can be investigating?

I know one guy that’s into that a bit too much recently bought a part of a wrecked car and seems to be pretty pleased about it. No idea what that sort of thing runs for.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Interesting. I use a whetstone on my “two guys” zwilling set from time to time though I’m sure I’m doing it poorly/wrong. Are those decent enough blades that I should be paying for someone to do it instead?

Also tangentially related at best: are those magnetic rails that some places use to mount/hold knives damaging the blades over time?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh this all reminds me, what’s a decent cutting board/work surface? This place is in my area and seems to have nice stuff: https://oldworld.co/

Warbird
May 23, 2012

What’s an average going rate for blade sharpening? The local restaurant supply place is like 8 bucks a blade which isn’t awful imo but it a bit much. Especially at one of the 3 I’d want done is a pairing knife and thus is damned small. Still, about $100 a year isn’t terrible.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh for sure, I’m not too worried about it. Though it does work out to be about a buck fifty an inch if I do the 4 blades I care about. Don’t mind paying them that, but I may shop around a bit more first next time. Might be able to cut a deal on some sheet pans or something so all is good.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

DKNY has some microfiber-y modal-ish briefs/boxers that are quite comfortable and have lasted me for several years now. I need to sit down and order a few more sets. Iirc it’s the “micro stretch” line.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

What if, hear me out here, you chained your wallet to your pants so it wouldn’t go too far if you dropped it? Also you should consider a pair of JNCOs so you can used the excess fabric as a makeshift net to catch it in a pinch.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The Mrs. and I got one of those swanky Swash 1000s early in the pandemic and they’re a great upgrade if you can get power to it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

https://www.usa.philips.com/c-f/XC000015359/can-i-use-my-philips-oneblade-wet-or-dry

Seems so.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

P sure they meant their testicles OP.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Like one to be used on a permanent/long term basis similar to those enclosures that let you use a 2.5 HDD over usb or something intended for swapping out like a SD card reader? The former exist but I’ve not heard of the latter. Haven’t looked either so eh.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Speaking of, anyone have recommendations for light and breathable pants? We’re not quite to mosquito season here but I’d love something other than shorts to wear in the summer and not get annihilated by bloodsuckers (or get heatstroke). Bonus points for long sleeves or button downs.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Headed to the beach with the wife and baby next week. Any going recommendations on what all to bring? I haven’t been in a decade or so.

Got some folding chairs, a waterproof picnic blanket deal with stakes that ought to hopefully stay in place, and a kite or two. Still need to sort out a umbrella or other shade generator. Any suggestions?

E - Also some place that sells cheap Hawaiian shirts that I can wear with a tank top undershirt like a real piece is poo poo would be appreciated.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’s pretty slick. I’ll have to look into it a bit more if going back become a thing. I haven’t personally been to the coast in nearly a decade (and don’t honestly enjoy it) but if the kid takes to it I could be down with one of those more elaborate deals.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

35 $/day courtesy of the city of Myrtle Beach.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

For two months? Honestly the ol’ open dresser drawer method might be valid. Though that may not be considered safe these days. Check Wirecutter to see if they have a recommended model.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Chiming in to say I have that Bellroy Slim that was shared and I’m quite fond of it. I usually keep it in my sling and not my pants so I can’t speak to the durability as much but I have no complaints. drat goony meat suit and its less than flattering appearance appearance with stuff in my pockets…

Warbird has a new favorite as of 14:49 on Jun 10, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Trabant posted:

There's a headphones thread which might have more opinions. I personally like the Jabra 75t set I got for running.

I have the “Active” SKU of these and they’re pretty great. My only gripe is that you periodically have to clean them/the case as body oils can build up over time and cause the sensor that detects if they’re in the case to give false negatives and results in your phone connecting to them accidentally. It’s not big deal and can be done easily but it’s still fault annoying and not something I ran into for the 65t series.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The Patagonia pants are the tits and are super light/breathable, but they’re expensive af. Iirc a pair of their jogger styled ones and a similar one of a different brand we’re right at $200. Something similar could be found for a shirt but I’ve yet to come across anything that would be wearable around in public without looking a bit odd.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I have this blender. it's a very nice blender from I think the 50s I got at a rummage sale that was in pretty decent shape, no rust or anything, just some of the settings didn't work(sadly liquify is broken).

I've been using it daily to puree watermelon, strawberries, bananas, etc for smoothies, it's loving fantastic and far better than soda or whatever garbage. but I think it's starting to conk out, or maybe I need to get it lubed up or something, because it gets real loud and grindy and sometimes has trouble chopping up some stuff. I dunno if I can even get something like this repaired, so I might as well ask now in case I need a new one, what's the best blender on the market? I'd like options for both on a budget and if money is no option. I've heard Blendtec Blenders are phenomenal, but also

beyond that I am entirely unfamiliar with what blenders are good or not. something I can use daily that is easy to clean like this one would be nice, this old one is like 25 pounds of glass and metal, and cleans in seconds so long as you wash it out immediately upon pouring out the smoothie.

We have a Vitamix we’re very happy with but they are anything but cheap.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yes, but that’s just a more permanent solution to the problem if you turn your head and squint a bit, no? :v:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I use a zojirushi for my coffee and it’s lid is both secure and also locks. I haven’t messed with cold stuff too much but temp isolation works both ways afaik.

As for Yeti, I’ve found that the Orca jug my buddy gave me works just as well as my tumblers so that may be a viable option as well.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

7of7 posted:

I've started wearing long sleeve sun shirts like this one in the summer to avoid the annoyance of constantly having to put on sunscreen. They're relatively loosely fitting, breathable, and block the sun.

What I'd like is some equivalent sort of pants for men. I wear shorts a lot because they're lightweight and breathable but they leave me having to put sunscreen on my (very hairy) legs which is really annoying.

Does anyone have any recommendations for light weight, breathable, sun blocking pants that don't make the wearer look like a slob (sweats) or a gangster (wind suits)?

I’ve got a pair of Patagonia joggers that are exactly this that I’m super fond of. Same deal with Prana though those are a bit thicker and more hiking oriented. REI carries both. And while I’ve not tried their longer offerings, all the Lululemon stuff I’ve ever gotten would be good for this, though that’s going to be pretty pricey and likely not too loose fitting. Deffo going to check out one of those shirts.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Lots of them these days are set up so that you just pop them into a a fuse that runs when the car does. They’re pretty neat and look a lot better than trying to wire things into the cigarette doohickey.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

We’ve always used vinegar and a bit of dish soap, but if that actually works on mosquitoes I might pick one up. It amazes me we don’t have better ways of killing the little bastards, this won’t make the yard safe, but I can work with the house being clear of suckers.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Have you considered a mid size dog and/or a particularly fat cat OP?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I want to say the IKEA brand are just rebadged Eneloops so that might be worth your time. Wirecutter has an article on them if you want some more comparing and contrasting.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

evobatman posted:

If you can, get a microwave with a crisping pan. It literally changed my life.

Oh that’s interesting. I wonder if that would be real good for pizza reheating. Pan + steam is always a winner but preventing the crust from getting wet is a bit of a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’d cut the difference and get a regular electric kettle if either of you are open to it. They’re tons faster and more energy efficient than stove counterparts. Mrs. Burd and her folks are from the tea drinking part of the world and the thing runs about nonstop. If you’re intent on a stovetop version the Wirecutter folks may have a recommendation.