Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Sappo569 posted:

Cross post from PYF Recent Purchases: Please, don't shop-shame.

I'm not really sure what you are asking. Are you looking for speaker recommendations, or some sort of media receiver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I'm looking for a wired headset for a cell phone with great microphone quality. Ideally also has a volume slider (aka Android compatible) and a mute button. Does such a thing exist? The microphone quality has been pure poo poo in all of the ones I've tried, even if the driver quality is great.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

turbomoose posted:

I have a cast iron grill pan and it is a BITCH to clean. Just get something you can actually put in the dishwasher

You've gotta season those things! Internet cast iron fanpeople will act like a well-seasoned cast iron pan is the most nonstick surface in the world which isn't quite true, but nothing should be fusing to it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

I'll second that. Definitely the best wallet I've ever owned. A lot of the slim wallets are hard to use, in my experience, and the "slim sleeve" is the most functional for me. Plus it's nice looking and smelling leather.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I'm tired of getting actual Ray-Ban Wayfarers because they scratch extremely easily and are obviously made of about $2 in materials. It also seems impossible to search for actually scratch resistant / good optical clarity lenses because they all make that claim.

Can anyone recommend (new) Wayfarer-style sunglasses with actually good lenses / construction? Polarized is a must.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

1redflag posted:

Also, invest the money in a thermapen. It's expensive, but you will easily get your money's worth over it's lifetime.

Thermapens are nice but this thing works 95% as well for 1/4 the cost: http://a.co/3QoWzOd . I've had mine for a few years now with no issues, despite being abused.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Where do you people buy your contact lenses online? The only one I've ever used is 1800contacts.com, but I feel like in 2019 I shouldn't be using a website that is a phone number.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Can anyone suggest one of those desk toppers that you can use to raise your monitor up to standing height? Needs to be able to hold a loving heavy monitor.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I've been using the Zenni blue blockers for a couple of years and I like them, but it's difficult for me to say whether or not they made a significant difference for me. But they definitely do what they advertise, and even give you a little blue laser pen.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Why'd you have me watch this extended video of someone who clearly just likes to hear themselves talk and guffaw? I learned nothing.

They give you a pen that emits visible blue light, the glasses filter it. That's all. There is literally no way you can say it's not reducing the amount of light that enters your eyes, but again, no clue if it matters.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Comatoast posted:

Check out Wiggys for a car camping, non-inflatable sleeping pad. Inflatables are nice but they come with some severe downsides. A non-inflatable will never leave you sleeping on the ground from a hole or busted seal, and it won't retain moisture from you filling it with your talking hole.

I'm personally too much of a baby to sleep on one of these. When I go camping (car, backpack, whatever) or even crashing someplace I bring this thing: https://www.bigagnes.com/Q-Core-SLX_2 and inflate it with this thing: https://www.bigagnes.com/Pumphouse-Ultra

Camping air pads have come a LONG way. This thing is baffled so that you don't slosh around at all, the edges are slightly taller so you don't roll off, and it's thick. Plus it's insulated for camping so you don't freeze your rear end off. If you inflate it with the thingy, it only takes ~5 minutes and you don't need to use your breath. Plus it seems to be really durable.

Definitely overkill for this application but just sayin.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Takes so much longer to get in and out of the flap comfortably. I have no idea how some people seem to do it instantly.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Snowy posted:

I got this one after seeing lots of recommendations, it’s cheap and works well.

Philips Norelco Multigroomer All-in-One Trimmer Series 3000, 13 Piece Mens Grooming Kit, for Beard, Face, Nose, and Ear Hair Trimmer and Hair Clipper, NO Blade Oil Needed, MG3750/60 https://a.co/d/7q6Adga

This is what you want for anything other than a close shave, for me. I have both this and the OneBlade. The OneBlade is great for close shaves on the face, but I'd never use it without a guard down below, and it's much more cumbersome and slow to use when you have the guard / length attachment on the end. It basically just does very well at one thing.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Inzombiac posted:

I shave my junk in the shower with a old fashioned safety razor.

Not a joke. It works super well.

I don't even want to know the mechanics of this. Why on earth would you need that close of a shave? I can't even use one of those on my neck without it being rash city.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Iron Crowned posted:

You just need more experience TBH. Safety razors take a little finesse, but you eventually get the hang of it. I shave my face 3 times a week and I don't get any rashes, and get a nick or two maybe once every other week.

I do think the key is you have to add it to your routine. In the past I was just shaving whenever I felt like it, and my face would get all rashed up and be in a constant state of being knicked.

You'd think so, but no. My neck skin is just plain too sensitive for a shave that close. I really tried everything, including just sucking it up and hoping my skin toughens up. Safety razors aren't for everyone.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Inzombiac posted:

lmao if you don't want buttery-smooth junk.

You think anyone putting their mouth on your balls wants a bunch of hair there? LoL

"yeah sure I'll put your genitals in my mou WAIT IS THAT A HAIR? GROSSSS"

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
CO2 refills at a scuba shop may or may not be food grade, you'd need to check. They stock it for hobbyist stuff like paintball guns and whatnot, not for breathing, because that would be bad.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Harriet Carker posted:

I'm looking for an inexpensive way to raise a cheap 48" inch TV by about 2 feet. I could just stack a few boxes but I'd like it to look slightly better. . Not interested in wall mounting - I'd like the option to easily change its position. It's currently on top of a ~3 foot high IKEA TV stand, but I need an additional 2 feet or so to get it to standing eye level for dancing games.

not necessarily this one, but you can buy replacement height adjustable stands that screw on where a wall mount would
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Pedestal-Mount-Swivel-Feature/dp/B07N4GL2LW/

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Slimy Hog posted:

Alternatively buy a normal DE safety razor and save a poo poo load on blades.

My personal experience is that safety razors are painfully too close of a shave and OneBlade cartridges last for an absurdly long time anyway.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I want a little tiny mask on the end of the flute

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I got into Amazon Vine, which has really opened my eyes to how much weird poo poo is on Amazon. I ignore 500 options then get one "backpacking chair" that weights 8 lbs. It's bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Sharper Image used to be all about those things ~20 years ago, and you can tell they didn't even update the design because it still takes 4 C cell batteries. I wouldn't be surprised if my local stores didn't even carry those things anymore.