Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Can anyone recommend a good sub-$100 microwave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

Bloody Mayhem posted:

I need a power strip for my office (computer, printer, some lights, speakers, etc.), preferably with some hooks. My desk looks like this.

I'd like to hand the strip from the metallic mesh so it doesn't lie on the floor. And I need a pretty long cord, since my office sadly has few/ill-placed outlets.

Is brand important, or are they all pretty much equivalent?

What's mostly important is confirming that you are buying something with adequate surge protection for the equipment on it and not just a glorified extension cord. A lot of the "better" brands also have some measure of reimbursement for if the surge protector fails to protect your equipment, if that's important to you.

We use APC stuff at work and it's been good enough that I've bought a few for use at home. Something like this should be suitable (specs here) for your computer equipment and while it doesn't have hooks, it does have screw mounts on the back that you should be able to use to attach it to that screen on the desk. It's got a 10ft cord, which should hopefully be enough to run to one of your outlets.

Hope this helps!

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

Inzombiac posted:

SUMMER IS HERE
Let's talk about cooling solutions.
Right now I have a standing AC unit that is really nice for 1-2 rooms. However, my problems are threefold:

1) The only windows in this apartment face east or west. I'm baking in the sun all goddamn day.
2) It's a loft apartment so half of the space is open-air and two stories tall.
3) I have guinea pigs in the living room that need to be kept at a reasonable temperature at all times.

Getting an AC unit for each room would run me about $1,200 before utility costs and we only have three months of +80 weather.
I've never foiled windows before. It looks tacky as hell but I'm not so proud to not do it.
Is there a more elegant solution to explore before I blind my neighbors?

Blackout curtains maybe? They make some that have a sort of insulating material that reduces heat without being reflective, I think.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

Lawen posted:

I'm looking for some really, really good hard candy. Something a few steps up from Werther's Originals or Brach's Strawberry Bonbons (though those are both very good). Willing to try pretty much any flavor or flavor profile but I generally don't like licorice/anise.

Some cursory research led to a couple fruit flavored candies from Italy and Belgium that sounded good. Also some Asian/Japanese stuff with either barley sugar or ginger that sounded interesting though some of the more esoteric Asian candies I've tried in the past haven't really been my thing.

Suggestions?

I can't believe it's taken this long, but you should really check out the goon-run Raley's Confectionary; it's easily the best hard candy I've ever had and the flavors are incredible, plus they have cute little designs embedded in them.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

Cornuto posted:

https://www.pd.net/

Never ordered anything from here, but I get recommended this guys youtube videos for some reason. They're kind of neat TBH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKcE0Nxd0gg

Isn't Lofty Pursuits the store Raley used to work for before starting his own business?