Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've wanted to de-pill my mattress and sleeping bag and some other stuff for a while now, and picked up this Conair Fabric Shaver.

it's a goddamn miracle tool, is what it is. and the little THIK THIK THIKTKTKTKTHIKTK as it quickly and smoothly sucks in and severs the little pilling and loose threads on the mattress is so insanely satisfying, it's ridiculous. after a thorough run-over with this thing and a followup vacuuming, my mattress looks almost brand new when it looked heavily used before, it's kind of amazing. Plus, of course, the rough slight bumpiness of the pilling is no longer there. I love it and can't recommend it enough, and you just pop the little "chin" of the shaver off to empty out the stuff it's collected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

George H.W. oval office posted:

This tool is 100% something I never knew existed but now that I’m aware that it does it makes perfect sense. What a delightful thing
It rules, already completely cleared the mattress and some other pieces of furniture, it also snips stray threads and stitching short which is nice so they dont catch on something. However, it's for light depilling, anything heavier and it will clog up really quickly. I've been slowly using it to depill a very old sleeping bag that is absolutely coated in significant pills. After about 3 minutes of slow, methodical use, I have to disassemble the depiller and pill the thick fabric from the sleeping bag out of the blades, motor, etc.

Luckily, the entire assembly is roughly 5 pieces, and so cleaning is super easy, I just have to do it often with something as involved as this. Overall, I highly recommend it, it's cheap and even having trouble it's still getting the job done on something it's probably not designed to be used on

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

C-Euro posted:

Can I do any vinegar + alcohol or does balsamic + vodka just work the best? I have some 70% rubbing alcohol, but surprisingly no vodka (and I'm not giving these fuckers any of my bourbon)
just a little bit of apple cider vinegar and dish soap stirred up gently. I had a bag of potatoes go bad and a cloud of the bastards flying about everywhere, put a small cup of the stuff in the rooms they had congregated in and they were all gone within a couple days, an inch of fruit flies coating the bottoms of each cup. It works really well. It'll cost you like five bucks if that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
here's a must-have product every single person should have on hand at all times.

https://smile.amazon.com/New-Skin-Liquid-Bandage-Ounce-Cover/dp/B0017JOF86/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=new-skin&qid=1602392960&sr=8-4

liquid bandage. brush-on, like rubber cement, but for your skin. This poo poo is absolutely excellent, and can significantly reduce scarring as well. check this out, so I hosed up using a new skill knife and cut my finger. It was so sharp that it just sliced right in from the base of the fingernail to the joint, about an eighth of an inch deep(which is QUITE DEEP for a finger cut). I immediately grabbed an alcohol swab pouch(another thing everyone should have ample supply of), disinfected the cut while it began to gush, squeezed it shut, wiped the blood away, and quickly put a decent layer of New Skin on it, then a second layer to reinforce it, then a third layer, then a fourth. I peeled it after two days and replaced it. It makes the location waterproof(but try to avoid getting it wet anyways as it can weaken the hold on the skin as the skin absorbs moisture) and holds the skin together, making it heal much faster. This is the cut after 4 days, after removing the second "shell" of New Skin:

(my nails are hosed thanks to Alopecia)

It itched like hell for a day or two, but that's because it was hard at work healing, and it is very close to being completely healed.

If you overapply it all at once, it can hurt/burn as the chemicals dry, so try not to go too hog wild when putting it on, but this poo poo is the absolute best for cuts. Just periodically reinforce the shell with a new layer so that it doesn't crack and fall apart, and you're golden. I had another cut not even 24 hours ago where I cleaned it and quickly glued it shut, and it's just a reddish line on my skin now. seriously, everyone should get at least one bottle of this stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean, don't gently caress with cat scratches to begin with tbh

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

blight rhino posted:

got a weird ask. I'm trying to find a MP3 player, that has no wireless capabilities whatsoever. I had a AGPTEK G15, and it sucked and is dead, after like 3 months.

No built in camera, and no microphone. Honestly, something like the iPod Nano, but I want to be able to have playlists and what not. Bluetooth is acceptable, but not required.

I was thinking of getting another AGPTEK, but if it's just going to constantly die .. no thanks.

I had a 200gb iPod classic, that'd be perfect. It's dead. Those are going for insane $$$ on ebay. Well, I just looked and they're not stupid expensive, but I'd prefer to having something new.

Any ideas, friends?
I've ben using my original 2nd gen (I think) ipod nano since I originally bought it whenever it first came out, it's got no extra frills but lets you make playlists through iTunes or whatever you connect it through. You can probably find one for 30 bucks, and if necessary a replacement battery for a pittance. Mine's original battery still lasts about 4 hours which is perfect for work, I charge it during lunch. I'll see if I can get you some links later if you want, but imo this is the sort of product that was from before the "intentional obsolescence" style of design because it still does everything you need it for and can take a serious beating on top of that. It's only 4 gigs but that equates to a solid 2 days of music or podcasts, so that should be good enough, right?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Lavender posted:

Below freezing weather and snow has hit where I live, and my hands instantly dried up like a desert. 4 of my knuckles are split and bleeding.

Captain Lavender posted:

Below freezing weather and snow has hit where I live, and my hands instantly dried up like a desert. 4 of my knuckles are split and bleeding.

I've tried Eucerin hand cream, and a few others, but nothing is helping. Any recommendations for a really good or restorative hand cream? I had decent results with O'Keefe's foot stuff, is their hand cream good too?

Otherwise, I drink a lot of water, not sure how to prevent dry skin like this.
I've tried Eucerin hand cream, and a few others, but nothing is helping. Any recommendations for a really good or restorative hand cream? I had decent results with O'Keefe's foot stuff, is their hand cream good too?

Otherwise, I drink a lot of water, not sure how to prevent dry skin like this.
I have prescription strength skin cream that really helps with cracked and split skin, it's called like, Triamcinolone or some poo poo.

For non-prescription, Workers Hands Cream has done well for me too, so you could try that yeah.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
when did someone last recommend a water flosser? I have one of these and it has dramatically improved my gum health.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterpik-Flo...24-135149aa9081

my teeth are an unmitigated disaster, and I have lost far too many fillings to accidentally snagging them on thread floss, so I switched to this. it does an incredible job at getting out little food bits and while it hurt initially because my gums were so painfully sensitive, now it's not a problem even at higher settings, and it gets stuff out from under the gumline too.

I will never use thread floss again. this thing is a miracle machine. I'm sure there's arguments for regular floss, but the waterpik doesn't snag on fillings or whatever, and has greatly reduced discomfort in my teeth and gums. It's great. Minimal effort to use, too, although it is a bit messy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
way too late for that, friend. if I could afford it, I'd have all my teeth ripped out and implants put in, they're all so jacked.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol, dental insurance

but seriously, the insurance I have covers 50% of implants. which is, uh, still well over ten grand for the procedure out of pocket.

I eventually want to get it done, but right now it's not really doable, my teeth are hosed, yeah, but I can keep getting them patched up until I can get'em all ripped out of my drat head

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Any recommendations for the best, most durable, strongest, all-powerful nail clippers on planet earth? Who makes the best nail clippers, of any sort? I have a pair I have used forever but they have a tiny nick in the jaws that no longer leaves a clean cut.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

OSU_Matthew posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-nail-clippers/

Personally I’ve been a huge fan of tweezerman clippers. I’ve slowly been replacing and stashing a set in every medicine cabinet and travel bag. They just work extremely well and don’t go all catterjawed like the regular ones
Those Green Bell clippers look perfect. I've decided for christmas gifts this year I'm buying folks "top tier" everyday use items. nail clippers, AA batteries(eneloop packs + chargers), that sort of thing.

man, eneloops are godsends. back when they first released them, I bought an 8-pack and a charger. They are only now, almost a decade later, noticeably losing their charging capability. I spent like, 20 bucks on them, I think. For ten years of almost everyday use, that's goddamn phenomenal.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is a fairly weird request, but something I've had percolating in the back of my mind for years now. my general computer setup isn't sitting at a desk, it's an HDTV on a wall, I'm in an oversized chair with my feet up, a bluetooth mouse on a small table by the chair, and a bluetooth(MX Revolution) keyboard I kinda either have on my lap or place around me wherever if I'm not actively using it. that's the one problem remaining with the setup, otherwise it's super comfortable and extremely convenient, but the keyboard being haphazardly placed or having to grab it constantly is a drag. Hell, I've even got this bendable long arm phone holder clipped to the table so I don't have to grab my phone and so the phone sitting on the table doesn't reflect the tv screen. Anyways, I've been toying with the idea of getting some kind of multi-jointed movable arm contraption to attach the keyboard to so I can swing it down into my lap to use, and just push it up and away(or whatever) when not using it. something like a dentist's chair light arm in terms of "lift up and away and it just stays where you put it":

I don't know if there's a more reasonably-sized version of that sort of thing that I can mount to the back of my oversized wingback chair(it's old and busted up, I don't care how it looks with stuff attached to it so that's not an issue, it's just super comfortable and big) and have some kind of holder to mount the keyboard to, but that'd be cool if there was.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that's a real thing you can buy? when I saw that image recently I thought it was a photoshop parodying lovely cyberpunk future products, holy poo poo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
brother black and white printers are godsends if you don't need color printing. this is the one I have had for years and it has never once had problems, with thousands of pages printed:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081J7T987/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I bought a two-pack of unbranded toner cartridge replacements for 15 bucks and they still haven't run out despite, again, years + thousands of pages printed. the one I bought in particular was an E-Z Ink two-pack but the specific page is gone from amazon unfortunately, but if you pick up a brother printer I'm sure something in these search results will do you just fine

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Trabant posted:

It sounds like a tricky one, mostly because everyone has their own preferred keyboard ergonomics. There are a number of "keyboard arms" out there but I think most of them assume you'll be clamping them to a flat surface (i.e. desk). Then there are gooseneck "tablet arms" -- one of which I use to support a small auxiliary monitor on my desk -- but that also requires clamping and wouldn't stand up to typing.

How about one of those laptop desks that either go under the chair or roll around, would that work?
those are nice for what they are, but they're not really applicable to this situation since there's nowhere for the rolly one to sit properly and the other one only seems to move out in a fixed pattern.

I might actually look for a for-real dentist light arm, since I can't seem to find the precise thing I'd want like it that isn't just...exactly that. seems like there's some available for a couple hundred bucks so it's not as bad as I thought, definitely something I'll keep in mind.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rolo posted:

Whelp. I’m posting from my couch at 2:13am because I need a new mattress. I had a friend over who invited another friend who brought their dog and it pissed so much dog piss on my bed that I’m giving up on my 6 year old Amazon memory mattress.

It’s so much piss and it has permeated everything, gently caress this. I didn’t even notice it for like 8 hours.

So what’s the good memory foam nowadays? Purple?
boy I hope you're having your friend's friend at least partially compensate the replacement because that's a cool grand you're looking at for most current mattresses, at least

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what's the thing that like, guys from Sears and furniture movers use to easily move furniture, the harness or whatever that lets two people easily lift super heavy stuff? And where can I get one, I've got a like 200 pound fridge to move up a flight of stairs and that might be the safest method to do so with.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've always wondered, can you buy bulk seasonings from things like instant ramen? I rarely eat instant ramen anymore, but there's one I've always loved, nongshim kimchi ramen:

and I'd love to just get, like, a jar of the seasoning to put in rice and stuff. I know it's a simple powder but I'd just like to have a jar or bunch of pouches I could buy of the stuff if that's a thing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been using the same frying pans for ages, and the non-stick part is wearing away on one while the other fell on the floor one time and has a dent in it now, so it's time to replace them. any recommendations for good quality frying pans and also possibly woks? hopefully nothing exorbitantly expensive, but suggestions are welcome.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have an air conditioner that works relatively fine still, but it's getting a bit old and the plastic is starting to yellow on some parts, so maybe it's time to replace it. I bought this one for my mom a year ago and it's a good one, but is there an above-all best one to get?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well we're going to be doing some landscaping, and some of my tools are no longer functional or are old and rusty. I'm looking to get:

hand scythe
bushwhacker
maybe some sort of multitool if there's one of those for pruning/gardening

Anyone have good recommendations for those? there's roughly a billion options on amazon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Anyone got recommendations for sparkling water? I picked up some Bubly and found only one flavor even mildly decent, the others terrible. the google result for bubly says

quote:

bubly is an unsweetened sparkling water that playfully instigates fun and positivity in everyday life.
what the gently caress kind of marketing garbage babble is that, more like playfully instigates me pouring the can down the drain

Something lower sugar would be nice, but not terrible like bubly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

signalnoise posted:

My wife likes a brand called Waterloo

Schmeichy posted:

Polar has the best flavors imo. I agree buble or wtf sucks, la Croix is mostly decent, Waterloo is good too
cool, thanks! I'll pick some up next time I'm at the store and check'em out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well, I cleaned up my current fridge, opened up the back, vacuumed it out and cleaned every accessible spot, all that jazz, and while I wait for it to possibly return to normal, I might as well as for recommendations for a replacement if it has truly kicked the bucket. It's a 2002 model according to the sticker inside it so it's old anyways, I'd prefer to not buy a new fridge while prices are sky high but I'll have to if this one's toast. So any recommendations for a freezer-on-top/fridge-underneath style fridge would be much appreciated. So long as it can fit through a normal doorway, dimensions aren't a huge issue since I can modify the area it's in accordingly, but I need to be able to get it there to begin with so it's gotta be able to fit through a typical doorway's dimensions, it can be a bit taller but can't be wider than like 32ish inches.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol, jumbo camo fanny pack

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
something like that could probably be an okay distraction for kids, because I know as a kid I would just press buttons just to press them, ESPECIALLY if they had good reactive button-pushy feelings like going KACHINK, KACHUNK when pressed in/out

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've got a bunch of these rubbermaid plastic containers:

they are largely wearing out, some have broken already and been discarded, etc, they were good for years but I'm wondering if there's similar containers available that are more focused or better recommends than the rubbermaids. more "lunchbox sized", the ones that can fit a regular two-slices-of-bread sandwich in it, and the ones that are taller versions of that that could fit like, a burger in it, those are the most-needed kinds for me. maybe a couple large ones for putting watermelon, stew, etc in.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
anyone have some high quality/highly-rated vegan chocolate recommendations?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

dinahmoe posted:

Taza Chocolate is really good. I used to live near the factory, and they have a really great factory tour. My favorite is the guajllio chili.
sounds good, my neighbor did me a real solid while I was incredibly sick and they're vegan, I want to get them a nice gift and this giftbox looks perfect. thanks!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Happiness Commando posted:

Who's got a suggestion for memory foam pillows? I've tried a bunch of them from Amazon and they were all varying kinds of bad. I'm sleeping on buckwheat now and its better than polyfill or down, but its not memory foam.
I've been using a tempurpedic that looks similar to this one for at least ten years now. it's basically perfection.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tempurpedic-Symphony-Memory-Foam-Bed-Pillow-with-Washable-Cover-Standard-Size/902138188

I don't know if that one is the same as mine or not, probably been changed since I got mine, but it looks basically the same.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a family member is suggesting I use these "mice pouches" to deal with my problem with mice coming inside due to the cooling fall temperatures and also so I don't have to kill them, but this poo poo seems like snake oil to me. and the quick-kill traps I use are basically perfect at their job anyways. anyone here had success with the pouches?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
from experience using the dry bucket method, you do not get a bucket full of live mice, you get an abattoir with one very fat mouse in the bottom of it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am glad the FATMOUSE website still exists but please do not associate FATMOUSE with the carnage wreaked upon the bucket

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Simple Green is like, the most mundane of cleaning chemicals, right?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Android Apocalypse posted:

Yeah, but it works well enough and IIRC it's the least toxic compared to other detergents.
oh yeah I didn't mean it wasn't effective, but more to the second point, it's extremely lightweight chemicalwise compared to other cleaners

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
STEALTHO is a really stupid name for a company/product line, I love it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
speaking of vacuum cleaners, I am a sucker for the ol' horizontal electrolux vacuums.

I have one of these really old Electrolux Diamond Jubilee vacuums. I'm pretty sure it's older than I am, my parents had it for as long as I can remember. Still works, had to have it repaired a single time well over a decade ago. I found one at a yard sale with all the attachments for like 25 bucks so I have a spare if the original ever carks it. But it's a goddamn tank of a machine, if you are looking for a vacuum cleaner, see if you can find one of these, I have seen them on craigslist from time to time for dirt cheap, like 50 bucks used and complete.

also while looking for a photo I found a forum dedicated to vacuum connoisseurs which. I guess!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Anyone recommend a white noise machine? My partner keeps having issues with random noises keeping em up at night and I've been trying for like 3 years to convince them to get one to no avail.
I have this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JWDC66L

it's out of stock but you might be able to find it elsewhere. the key bit is getting one with non-looping sound, because I will guarantee if you get one with a like 15 second loop you will almost immediately get into a rhythm of hearing every specific tic of that loop and it will instead keep you awake, the exact opposite of what it's supposed to do.

I bought my mom this one and it works well enough, too, and is still available: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RWRJ4XW