Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am looking for a standalone rain hood. Google doesn't really come up with much, I bought the Showers Stop one but it is too small for my fat neck. I am desperate for anything at this point. I need it to wear with a dry suit thus the need for a standalone hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

king of the bongo posted:

Maybe a rain hat will work for you? They make ones with a attachable neck and sides flap.

Go all old school with http://www.amazon.com/Dutch-Harbor-Gear-SouWester-Yellow/dp/B009Q2BHOG/

I have been looking at hats as well but I really want something that will go down past my neck. The neoprene will eventually get soaked and having ice cold water on my neck will suck.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
For flashlights I have been super happy with all the Fenix Light stuff I have owned. For dog walking I do think a headlamp is a better option though.

For bags, I have whatever Osprey model is the smallest one with a waist belt and it is a near prefect day pack and is very comfortable even when loaded down with fishing gear.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

I like the Nivea Balm stuff..

I use this stuff as shaving cream and have never found anything better.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
It is totally fine to use soap on cast iron, what you want to avoid is letting it soak or going nuts on it with a scouring pad.

The no soap thing is a relic of when dish soap was way more caustic then it is now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7BvEldVEHU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Need a gym bag- any suggestions? Doesn't have to be big.

I needed one last summer and found this on amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YC3GF0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fulfilled all my duffle bag needs and has survived being checked luggage like 4 times now.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

ZeusCannon posted:

I know there are a bunch of shaving threads or something on here but I'll be damned if I can find them, anyone know a good brand for beard oil? Mines been unruly this winter so I figure I can give it a try.

All the oils I have tried have been, well, too oily. I use Honest Amish cream and it works great. The trick I have found is constant conditioning and brushing, washing it well in the shower, but only shampooing once a week, or after eating ribs. The shampoo really drys my beard out and makes it frizzy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Blindeye posted:

Any recommendations for a pair of really durable straight fit jeans? I like my Levis 505s but they wear out at the crotch from abrasion really fast (1-2 years).

Edit: Assume I can pay 50 bucks max for a pair of jeans because the rent is too drat high.

One to two years of use out of a $50 pair of cotton pants isn't that bad. I have some hiking pants that are going on 10 years now with just minor repairs but they were about double or triple that price.

If you really want jeans I used to wear Carrhart ones at work and they would last a year or two under very rough construction site use. They are bulky and ugly though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Is playing guitar really a marketable skill?

I think the Go Pro idea is the best, as that might have some chance of getting this kid outside for a while.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I am very committed to exoffico undies but I bought a oak of airsims to try them. They are decent and do dry quickly but they ride up a ton more then the ExO ones.

Full disclosure, I suffer from Hank Hill butt so it might just be me.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

goons posting ITT not knowing about going commando :kiddo:

I was commando when you were still in diapers. I assume, I'm pretty old

Ex Officio undies are so good they made me give up freeballing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Timotheous Venture posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a beginner sit-on kayak? Ideally under $300 but I can go higher if there's justification for the extra cost.

If you have a West Marine near you their house brand is a great value, but closer to $500. In any event, post in the A/T fishing thread, there a a bunch of yak fishing guys there who can guide you.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I am in search of a good headlamp. I want something simple, just off/bright/dim, don't want or need red or blinking lights. I really want something that has a firm enough switch that it will not turn on in my bag. Also needs to be less then $50 cuz I need to buy like 4 of them.

I found a Fenix Light one that I loved but now, 2 years after buying 5 of them, they are all starting to fail.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I am looking for a site to buy prescription glasses from. I am looking for a few pairs of cheap sunglasses and a good pair of safety glasses. Can anyone suggest a place for either?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Fair point, I didn't think of the fit issue. I was asking for my GF, I haven't gotten new glasses in so long that I don't really think about the process.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

This is lame as gently caress, but years of stage work compel me to point out that WD-40 is in no way a reasonable lubricant. Something like CLP is a far far batter "universal" spray.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
What traumatic videos did someone show you?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Layering is a huge pain for city stuff, but your points about overheating are true as well.

I have an Arcteryx Atom LT jacket and it is just crazy warm for it's weight and bulk. It will keep you dry for like a block or so but really needs a rain coat over it. But, it will compress down to the size of a grapefruit so it is super easy to stash in your bag when you head indoors

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

theHUNGERian posted:

I know. I had seen it earlier this year and I even considered getting an Aeron. What I don't like about typical computer chairs is that I cannot use my mouse on their arm rest. But perhaps using the arm rest for the mouse is not very ergonomic.(?) I'm afraid to ask that question in the computer chair thread.

I more or less believe that if you find yourself doing something p differently then most people, maybe 1-3% of the time you are a genius, the rest of the time, you are a twat.

To be helpful, my grandmother used to have this tv tray type deal on a stand that she would use to do needlepoint on while chilling in her lazyboy. It was maybe big enough to hold a laptop and was super adjustable. GIS is failing me but you could look at freestanding laptop trays to see if you can find something that might work.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Etrips posted:

Merino wool socks.

Unless you have an entirely carpeted house, merino socks are going to wear out so loving fast.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Scruffy the janitor posted:

I was thinking of buying my dad an electric filet knife for Christmas. It would be entirely for fish. Wondering if anyone has experience, if they're worth it, and if so which one? Didn't really know where to go looking for a fishing thread if there is one.

There is a fishing thread in ask/tell.

oh dope posted:

a buddy of mine always has a pocket knife on him, but one day he forgot he had it on him when he tried to get into a concert and they took it and never gave in back. well, i got him for a secret santa deal, and i'm looking to replace his lovely old knife with a nice new one. doesn't have to be anything fancy. any suggestions?

You gotta post a budget as "nice pocket knife" is like a $40-$400 range.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Eh, the Kershaw Shuffle is kinda lame. The bottle opener snags on my pocket and the entire thing feels pretty flimsy.

A Benchmade Minigrip is, to me, the gold standard of small, useful pocketknives.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

My brother's girlfriend wants a makeup bag. Is there an Osprey of makeup bags?

Like, a markup artist's type bag?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Krakkles posted:

What's a good non-stick wok and skillet/pan? Or trustable brand?

I'm leaning toward getting a cast iron skillet. This is for home use, so I don't need either to be huge, but I'd like them to be high-quality and last awhile. We're currently about done wearing out a $40 T-Fal 12" non-stick from Target.

For the pan, buy an all clad. Look at TJ Max, Marshals, Coles, Homegood, etc. They will often have insane deals on All Clad stuff. Don't bother with the more expensive stainless line, the normal stuff is fine and any discoloration can be cleaned. Cast iron, just get a Lodge, unless you want to hunt around for a old Wanger or Griswald. Most antique stores have a few.

For a wok, just go to an Asian grocery and buy a carbon steel one. It's very likely that your range will not get hot enough real wok cooking so don't sweat it too much.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

TheAbominableSnow posted:

I'm looking to get a refillable pocket lighter; everyone I know says to go with Zippo, but 1. there are shitloads of fakes around and 2. I was wondering if there might be a better brand. I'll probably use this indoors and outdoors. Under 25$ would be great but I'll spend up to 50$ if it's going to last forever. Any thoughts?

Get a zippo from a official dealer and get a butane insert for it. Can't remember the good brand, but it was like $20 on amazon. They get rid of all the flaws of a zippo but still give you the same tactile pleasure.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

uwaeve posted:

Buy an umbrella.

Buy a beater car and replace it every time you have to sink more then $400 into it.

Or buy a kayaking drysuit to wear over your clothing and give no fucks about rain.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
People always say that about mattress, but I have never noticed much of a difference in anything above a "oh god did someone die on this why is there a permeant valley in the middle" grade mattress. I find that blanket/comforter quality is far far more important.

Source: Maybe 100 nights a year in a wide price range of hotels.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Literally google "excel invoice template".

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Inspector 34 posted:

I thought about using some kind of Office template, I just don't know if that would allow me to keep some of the functionality of an actual invoicing program. Can it automatically number each invoice individually, automatically enter each product and price into a database for future use, and do the same with customer info? If yes then I'll definitely just use a template. I figured I would have to do each of those things manually and that just sounds like too much work so I was hoping someone around here could point me in the right direction for a simple program.

I also don't like how easy it is to gently caress up a template with a couple errant clicks, and I know with 100% certainty that one of my employees will screw it up somehow. Is there a way to lock it down so my guys can only enter in information but not actually edit the formatting?

What you want is not a simple program. You are likely going to have to pony up and buy some kind of enterprise software.

You can make a PDF that is mostly locked, but the specifics are beyond me. I think that should be easy to do with a free or cheap PDF creator.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I literally cannot think of any info or data that I would worry to that degree about. Im I just boring or not paranoid enough?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
That was amazing, thanks.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Scruffy the janitor posted:

Recommendations for comfortable work shoes? I do a shitload of driving and walking. Non-slip isn't necessary and looks don't matter that much.

All the guys in the warehouse at work wear New Balance 990. Its kinda cult like.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

OGDanDogg posted:

Just got an inflatable kayak as a gift,

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What kind of boat is it?

Also interested in this. I drunk-bought a pair of little packrafts over Christmas but have not messed with them yet. They inflate via the stuff sack and that just sounds painful, so I am also looking for a small pump.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Unico Airsim tshirts are what you are looking for.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Move somewhere cold?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Use thin line to tie two belt loops together on the side?

Or just gain/loose a little weight?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Figure out how they are getting in and fix it?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Um, how does grinding up ice sharpen anything?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Garbage disposal blades aren't like steak knives, they are meaty industrial chunks of metal. Running ice through helps polish, clean and "sharpen" them by making their job easier.

Ok, but again, how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

I think I'm looking for boots.

I work in a warehouse, not really a warehouse but sometimes we have to move tons of heavy poo poo around; I'm expected to be in dress shoes, but they loving suck when moving fridges around. Any suggestions to some boots that do not look like "rear end kicker 3000s"?

Do you need steel toes, or just comfy shoes? All the warehouse guys I work with have settled on NB 990s as the ultimate warehouse shoes.