Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

My desktop computer case has a very poorly placed set of buttons for power on/off and reset, notably right where a cat can jump on top of the tower and put a hind foot directly on them. I do want to keep them connected, because the power button at least occasionally comes in handy. I currently have a piece of cardboard taped over it but would like a more permanent solution like maybe a hinged button cover about an inch to an inch and a half square. Plastic would be fine.

I can't seem to find a combination of search terms that doesn't get me something designed for a light switch, or that is huge or tiny, or for buttons on clothes. Anyone have any suggestions?
Something like this?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32236810690.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32438199963.html

(I just randomly googled "emergency button cover", no idea if they're any good. They may be too small.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Anyone got a nice glass teapot to recommend? I’d like something that looks sleek and isn’t awful to use.
A french press that you already own.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think their description of the pros/cons of products are good but I'm not sure their overall ratings are that useful because it usually completely depends on your personal preferences and unless you're buying stuff the second it comes out at full MSRP (which really makes no sense for outdoor gear/clothing), by the time you're looking at something all the prices (which are inevitably one of the biggest factors in the overall ratings) will be completely different anyway.

mystes has a new favorite as of 20:27 on Sep 1, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rolo posted:

I think I'm falling down the mattress rabbit hole. Do we have a thread or is the advice just down to "go to SleepLikeTheDead"?

I thought my Zinus memory foam was fine until I spent September in a brand new Homewood Suites and slept on a hotel bed better than my home bed. Half of me wants to be the guy who calls them and asks for bedding details.
I think it's really just a matter of personal preference (whether you like foam, a firm mattress, a pillow top coil spring mattress, etc.) and maybe whether you sleep on your back/sides/stomach. I don't think there's a single "best mattress."

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rolo posted:

Yeah I know, I was asking if there’s a “best place to talk about them.”
Oh, try this thread in Ask/Tell I guess: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813333

I think it's mostly foam mattress people though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

That basic gray glass bead reflective stuff is pretty sensitive to dirt/wear/water so you might want to get stuff with prismatic reflector tape even though it's less comfortable and cool looking.

Also, reflective stuff is only visible to someone if they have a light approximately near their eye level pointed at you (for example, if you're approaching an intersection and a car is also approaching it perpendicular to you, since it's headlights are focused in front of the car, the person driving it may not be able to see you at all until its too late) so you ideally want to always throw in some lights as well.

You could get something like this even though they are kind of annoying to wear: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VC2HZQ3

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think you need to rinse off pretty much any cleaning product you would use on your floor?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stalizard posted:

we're trying to find a decent office chair for my wife, she's an accountant so in the springtime she basically lives at her desk full time.

do they make a decent desk chair that holds up to long term sitting for ~$250 new? i'm pretty sure that her only hope is to troll fb marketplace for a steelcase or a herman miller and her only response to that idea so far has been "ugh can't i just go buy one at a store."

if you guys have any other ideas i'd love to hear em
The costco aeron knockoff is decent for $130: https://www.costco.com/bayside-furnishings-metrex-iv-mesh-office-chair.product.100522611.html

Also one of the Ikea office chairs is pretty good too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

You absolutely don't want anything making ozone while you're around (so, for example, air purifiers that intentionally make ozone are an insanely bad idea and should be illegal).

You can probably manage to use a big commercial ozone generator safely somehow with effort but it's the sort of thing where you would have to start it running on a timer and then get out immediately.

It might work after you were temporarily pet sitting for a week but I can't it being a solution to pet odor when you actually own pets and have them around all the time.

mystes
May 31, 2006

baram. posted:

what's the recommended router nowadays? i'm getting tired of the poor 5g range on my current one.
5ghz inherently has a shorter range. You might need to get a pack of mesh routers or something else if you don't have enough range

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't see the point of getting a tiny one because pressure cooked stuff is typically extremely convenient to make extra and save. If you lose that ability you're missing out on a lot of the benefits

I would get at least 6

mystes has a new favorite as of 12:53 on Sep 5, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

gently caress, qine

mystes
May 31, 2006

Trabant posted:

We do have a boots thread so you can ask there as well. And yeah: the more detailed you can be about what kind of boots you want, the better. Style examples will also help.

I will warn you though: sub-$200 for something that'll last years and years is going to be very tough, short of a really good sale. Some people have good luck with Thursday Boots in that range, others not so much. I'd pitch Red Wings, but that's in the $300 range. Post over there too, others might have better ideas.

Rolo posted:

Merrell Moab 2.
I like how these are both valid completely answers but probably anyone who answers one way hates everyone who answers the other way

mystes
May 31, 2006

Futaba Anzu posted:

depending on how staunch of a vegan they are, kombucha is made from yeast for what that's worth
I don't think veganism usually precludes eating fungi considering that they aren't animals

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's never too early to start your kid on trackballs and weird custom mechanical keyboards

mystes
May 31, 2006

Snowy posted:

Now I wonder if anyone records podcasts to tape so they can listen on a Walkman
even as a gimmick I doubt anyone has the patience to record audio to tapes (in realtime / at 1x speed) in 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Frogg toggs and other evaportive cooling stuff (or even just dumping water on your clothes although you'll have to do it more frequently) works great as long as the humidity is low. It does not work at all in places where the humidity is high

mystes
May 31, 2006

Trapick posted:

Is there anyone still making/selling BPA-full plastic stuff? Specifically water bottles and ice cube trays. I want indestructible ones and I'm not concerned about leaching (I'll avoid hot/acidic things and not use them to feed infants, which I think are the biggest risks).
I don't think anyone is selling water bottles with actual BPA anymore but polycarbonate (which most hard clear plastic stuff is made of) still has other very similar chemicals that are effectively the same thing. You could just YOLO it but if you specifically like the feel of polycarbonate and want something like a nalgene water bottle, you might also want to try tritan which looks/feels similar but doesn't have bisphenol plasticizers in it.

I don't think any ice cube trays are made of polycarbonate so they won't have BPA or similar chemicals (a lot of other types of plastic are pointlessly labelled as BPA free when they never had it in the first place)

Other types of water bottles like soft LDPE bike water bottles or bottles made of translucent HDPE like most rubbermaid stuff also never had BPA in them.

mystes has a new favorite as of 22:42 on Sep 6, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

mystes posted:

I don't think anyone is selling water bottles with actual BPA anymore but polycarbonate (which most hard clear plastic stuff is made of) still has other very similar chemicals that are effectively the same thing. You could just YOLO it but if you specifically like the feel of polycarbonate and want something like a nalgene water bottle, you might also want to try tritan which looks/feels similar but doesn't have bisphenol plasticizers in it.

I don't think any ice cube trays are made of polycarbonate so they won't have BPA or similar chemicals (a lot of other types of plastic are pointlessly labelled as BPA free when they never had it in the first place)

Other types of water bottles like soft LDPE bike water bottles or bottles made of translucent HDPE like most rubbermaid stuff also never had BPA in them.
Lol never mind actually HDPE plastics may be fluorinated and leech PFAS it turns out

mystes
May 31, 2006

Viruses aren't animals so you're probably ok with her as long as you don't try to treat your roundworm infection

mystes
May 31, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Looking for a handheld microphone and speaker combo that can be paired with each other over Bluetooth. The speaker doesn't have to be big, and preferably something that can be bought on Amazon so I can smoke some store credit. If a combo doesn't work, then just a handheld mic that can be paired with the little Bluetooth speaker that I already own (but I'd prefer a pair that are already set up to work with each other).
Do they have to talk to each other via bluetooth? If you search for pa speaker or karaoke speaker there seem to be a bunch with wireless microphones but I don't think the microphones talk to the speaker via bluetooth.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Brother Tadger posted:

Also, is there a dedicated thread for bike-related gear I should try instead?
I don't think there's a specific gear thread but you could probably just post in the bike megathread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933899
(there are several bike threads in the great outdoors)

mystes
May 31, 2006

coleman francis posted:

I'm going to be getting a new cell phone soon and I don't think any newer models have audio jacks anymore? The way I listen to music/podcasts while driving is plugging my phone into my cars audio jack. My car has bluetooth but only for calls.

Can anyone recommend a good bluetooth receiver that I can plug into an audio jack?

I bought one from a brand called Scosche but there is a noticable crackle when the music is loud that is not present when my phone is plugged in directly.

Thanks!
I have (what I guess is actually the older bluetooth 5.0 version so not technically the exact same model of this but I'm assuming they haven't managed to gently caress it up since then) this and it works great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081GGB53R

mystes
May 31, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Are there any quality bone-conducting earbuds that are below $100?
I'm not expecting extremely good bass or anything but I'm fine so long as things aren't super tinny.

It'd be mostly for podcasts while I work, anyway.
I don't think bone conduction "earbuds" are really a thing because of how bone conductions earphones need to contact your head.

If you just mean bone conduction earphones, I would suggest any of the aftershokz/shokz products. I've had a pair for years and I think they're great.

Just be sure that bone conduction is really what you want (i.e. you don't want them to block out any sound, so if there's loud noise around you you'll hear the noise and not what's coming through the earphones unless you turn them up ridiculously high).

(I think some people have apparently had luck with cheaper products off of aliexpress/amazon but some of them aren't even really bone conduction despite claiming to be.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

They said they were looking for cordura. That might not exist though.