Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which one's the best?
titan quest+immortal throne
marvel heroes
path of exile
torchlight 2
diablo 3
View Results

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

IMO it is titan quest with the underlord mod. it just has so much content and the loot game feels really close to diablo 2.

what do y'all think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Have you tried Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction, it's basically the same game with more

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

thuly posted:

Have you tried Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction, it's basically the same game with more

:eyepop:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

With mods?

Torchlight 2.

Without mods?

Borderlands 1

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Widestancer posted:

With mods?

Torchlight 2.

Without mods?

Borderlands 1

was there ever a super eastern sun-like mod for torchlight 2 that fixed everything wrong with it?

Dec 26, 2012

i remember torchlight 2 being wildly boring, what mods made it good

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

01011001 posted:

i remember torchlight 2 being wildly boring, what mods made it good

Too many to count but the biggest thing was the respec potion.

You shouldn't have to mod a d2 clone to make it good but it's nice that it's available to do so.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The best diablo 2 clone is the upcoming patch for Diablo 3 which puts in the first few areas from diablo 2.

Dec 26, 2012

Widestancer posted:

Too many to count but the biggest thing was the respec potion.

You shouldn't have to mod a d2 clone to make it good but it's nice that it's available to do so.

you shouldnt have to mod any game to make it good tbh

idk how it holds up for serious d2 fans but i liked that van helsing game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

01011001 posted:

idk how it holds up for serious d2 fans but i liked that van helsing game

despised that game. it was so broken there were literally console commands the devs put in and recommended people use whenever there was a soft crash, cutscenes just wouldn't play and completely block progress, bosses were unkillable etc. and i played it like a year after its release

also after act i every enemy has a different way of stunning you or otherwise taking away your control which was insanely loving annoying

Dec 26, 2012

i must ahve gotten lucky then, i think i only had like one soft crash

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i hate diablo's camera so much

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

related question: whats the best kind of piss to drink

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

googled up a list and found the 'ginormous list of diablo 2 clones'. not one good game. voted diablo 3.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
It's Titan Quest

D3 isn't really a D2 clone but it is also a very good game in its own right

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Agreed on Titan Quest and Underlord.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Titan Quest is really fun.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

thuly posted:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
That Lord of the Rings gameboy advance game

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hammerwatch is pretty fun if you keep a loose definition of Diablo 2 clone.

Scyther posted:

related question: whats the best kind of piss to drink

Diabetic

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Lumpy the Cook posted:

This was a really good game

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
All I want is a game that plays like the SoM series, but replace the bullshit anime storyline with infinite procedural dungeons. Is that too much to ask?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Secret of Evermore

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
path of exile is really good but imo it has to be titan quest, and SOON grim dawn when it;s full released :)

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Phantasy Star Online 2

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
hellgate: london

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
i can vouch for both titan's quest (with the underlord mod) and marvel heroes being very good.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I believe it is Diablo 3, but Titan Quest is pretty cool as well.

Dec 26, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

this was my poo poo for sure

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
i would have voted for diablo 3 as well but generally when i think "diablo 2 clone" i think poo poo outside the diablo series so i didn't.

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!
I really liked the setting of Titan's Quest.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Iron Casanova posted:

I really liked the setting of Titan's Quest.

titan's quest was very epic and had a lot of cool locations. even the mandatory desert act had you going through giza, pyramids, oasis-like areas and stuff.

you think act 1 is the peak going through greece but then act 3 is just a beaut and the expansion act has loving Hades which is incredible

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Ehhh I got Titan quest on sale in late 2013 and it's like... meh. Having played it after playing D3 I just can't go back. But I can totally tell how it must have been a great game at the time of release.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Ehhh I got Titan quest on sale in late 2013 and it's like... meh. Having played it after playing D3 I just can't go back. But I can totally tell how it must have been a great game at the time of release.

it's better with mods imo.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AHungryRobot posted:

it's better with mods imo.

yeah without the underlord mod the drop rates are honestly pretty lovely even on "hell" mode and the skills aren't balanced for poo poo. melee classes die left and right to everything while casters get summons so powerful they clear screens on their own+an insanely high damage shotgun staff attack skill.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
best diablo 2 clone is the version in your head, when you forget about the horrible tedious bullshit like wandering around in the jungle not being able to find a waypoint before you have to go to your next class, or the gross color scheme and the screen clutter, and all you really remember was that perfect moment of finding something like a buriza or a high-level rune.

diablo 3 does a great job of giving you fun ways to mow down hordes of monsters, and the classes all feel pretty distinct from one another.

path of exile does really interesting things with loot, skills and economy, but it's got the same problem marvel heroes has: the combat doesn't really hit home. marvel feels floaty. path of exile feels sluggish.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah marvel heroes is good i just never feel like im hitting anything. im just shooting particles at them and numbers pop out.

it also quickly becomes an unintelligible mess when there's too much action, and the loot rates are tuned so that if you want to see more than one unique an hour you need to buy loot chance boosts. but it's f2p so that's expected

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 28, 2014

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i like torchlight 2 because the camera doesn't make me feel like i am ramming my face into hte screen but it's not very good

i need to play more diablo 3

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Unguided posted:

Hammerwatch is pretty fun if you keep a loose definition of Diablo 2 clone.
Hmmm... I may have to check it out then. It's one of those games that I can't remember how it got in my steam library and I know almost nothing about but I'm interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man

THE PENETRATOR posted:

path of exile is really good but imo it has to be titan quest, and SOON grim dawn when it;s full released :)

Grim Dawn is gonna own with atomic force

• Locked thread