Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which one's the best?
titan quest+immortal throne
marvel heroes
path of exile
torchlight 2
diablo 3
View Results

• Locked thread
Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
the best Diablo II clone is Darksiders II no troll :madmax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kinsky posted:

the best Diablo II clone is Darksiders II no troll :madmax:

I'd play a Darksiders Diablo clone. Make the four horsemen, the giant blacksmith, and I don't know, the angel lady I guess the characters.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dark siders 2 is really good, i just wish the space was used more intelligently. even within the dungeons you spend way too much time dashing around through enormous empty rooms

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
Path of Exile is Diablo 2 patch 1.14, except the netcode makes it frustrating and bad.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

mr sad posted:

best diablo 2 clone is the version in your head, when you forget about the horrible tedious bullshit like wandering around in the jungle not being able to find a waypoint before you have to go to your next class, or the gross color scheme and the screen clutter, and all you really remember was that perfect moment of finding something like a buriza or a high-level rune.

diablo 3 does a great job of giving you fun ways to mow down hordes of monsters, and the classes all feel pretty distinct from one another.

path of exile does really interesting things with loot, skills and economy, but it's got the same problem marvel heroes has: the combat doesn't really hit home. marvel feels floaty. path of exile feels sluggish.

that feel when zod rune drops on your billionth baal run of the evening

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Path of Exile is Diablo 2 patch 1.14, except the netcode makes it frustrating and bad.
The netcode is better than d2's lol, d2's netcode is really awful

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Khorne posted:

pretty much. poe has terible netcode ("but but it never trusts the client!" abloo bloo) but it was better htan d2. poe is probably the truest successor to d2 right now, except until maybe Grim Dawn comes out and even then it's basically a giant love letter to d2.

too bad it's combat is pretty crummy to play, d3 combat + poe game design would have made for an awesome arpg.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
diablo 2 is fairly loving fail aids so please dont make me choose the least aidsest out of the fail pile

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Khorne posted:

Whatever Diablo 2 did, at least what was happening on your screen was pretty close to what was actually happening on the server and it worked with dialup pings and bandwidth.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Whatever Diablo 2 did, at least what was happening on your screen was pretty close to what was actually happening on the server and it worked with dialup pings and bandwidth.
What happened on screen was nothing like what was actually happening, even in single player. Monsters are never where you see them in d2 pretty much. It has all the same issues as PoE and then some.

You can even get stuck places and have nothing happen just like in PoE. The only reason it doesn't happen all of the time is d2 lets you teleport around without teleport to compensate, but it doesn't show it that way on the client. D2 also has no real limits on most spell ranges so if you desync even a little bit (so always) you're casting farther than you are supposed to be able to.

PoE is generally more in sync than d2, and the netcode would feel/be much better if they just forced oos server side when a client was sending stuff that doesn't make sense.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 28, 2014

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Hellfire

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

you have a very bright memory of diablo 2 online. i fear it is wrong

it worked most of the time but when it was bad it was really loving bad. like im playing SP on bnet and every few minutes it would completely loving spaz out and not record anything i was doing for 30 seconds and then warp me somewhere/kill me and this is with a modern connection.

i dont know how much bullshit i put up with when i was 11 and played with dial-up but it was probably a lot

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
the median xl mod is p crazy

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

these mediocre games are the best examples of the genre after diablo 2

starting to think that arpgs just aren't good

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Vargs posted:

these mediocre games are the best examples of the genre after diablo 2

starting to think that arpgs just aren't good

Starting? And only just now? ARPGs are a bad genre that are only playable by completely shutting your brain off, which to be fair is what you want sometimes.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

There are still some people that are playing Titan Quest and one weirdo is even actively making a mod based on Underlord. I haven't played it yet, but it looks sweet and those of you that want to replay TQ should check it out.
Soulvizier

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Diablo 2 with the Eastern Sun mod:

http://d2mods.info/forum/viewforum.php?f=15

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
diablo1 is a pretty good clone. they took out a few features tho.

also i really enjoy marvel super guys 2015

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Sacred and Sacred 2 were some pretty good games that would keep you entertained for hours. The artwork and quest designs were pretty well done as well. The major difference between Sacred and Diablo is the act structure versus the more free roaming style of Sacred. Definitely worth a try.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Haam posted:

the median xl mod is p crazy

It is. I don't even remember when I last played the vanilla game. The guy who makes it is fairly bonkers too. I remember sending him an email thanking him for the mod, and telling him how much fun me and my friends had at a LAN party where I introduced the mod to them. I told him that I thought he has vision, which apparently triggered something, since his response was basically "Ok, thanks, but <multiple paragraphs of ranting about how the buggy D2 engine and the oblivious fanbase of his are forcing him to ruin all that he ever held dear about his mod>". :stare:

No harm done though, so I still think he's a super cool guy, and the mod is very good.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Moose_Knuck posted:

Sacred and Sacred 2 were some pretty good games that would keep you entertained for hours. The artwork and quest designs were pretty well done as well. The major difference between Sacred and Diablo is the act structure versus the more free roaming style of Sacred. Definitely worth a try.

I liked both Sacreds but is there a mod or something that prevented enemies from spawning all the god drat time on top of you? If the enemies would respawn on reload, it would be awesome.
Also I heard that Sacred 3 is an abomination y/n?

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
There is a trick to Sacred where you play an "online" game (even though the original sacred servers were taken offline) either by yourself or by Hamachi-LAN, which limits the storyline, but monsters (and previously completed quests, actually) respawn on reload.

As far as your Sacred 3 question, I haven't actually played so I'll have to pass that on.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The way I feel about myself when I play Diablo 2 is the same way I feel when I see old folks playing slot machines.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

chumbler posted:

Starting? And only just now? ARPGs are a bad genre that are only playable by completely shutting your brain off, which to be fair is what you want sometimes.

which is why marvel heroes is the best since its the one most suited for loving around and shitposting in chat

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

which is why marvel heroes is the best since its the one most suited for loving around and shitposting in chat

Unfortunately playing the game is so boring it could be used as a prescription sleep aid, so loving around in it isn't even fun. And there are better places to shitpost.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

chumbler posted:

Unfortunately playing the game is so boring it could be used as a prescription sleep aid, so loving around in it isn't even fun. And there are better places to shitpost.

Sounds like they copied Diablo 2 a little too closely

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Scyther posted:

Sounds like they copied Diablo 2 a little too closely

woah..nice troll

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
If you liked the first two Sacred games under no circumstances ever play the third.Also do not play it if you didn't like them or have no opinion on them.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Diablo is the only Blizzard franchise that has produced nothing but 100% fuckfail games for retarded children who require no other stimulation for their lizard brain than to watch numbers go up

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Scyther posted:

Diablo is the only Blizzard franchise that has produced nothing but 100% fuckfail games for retarded children who require no other stimulation for their lizard brain than to watch numbers go up

that's a good point, user with pokemon name and halo avatar

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*grinds bhaal 100x for that epic drop* I'm mhaving fun. This is an epic game.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

that's a good point, user with pokemon name and halo avatar

both pokemon and halo are infinitely better games than diablo

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!

Scyther posted:

both pokemon and halo are infinitely better games than diablo

I almost thought this was a serious post.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Iron Casanova posted:

That guy is seriously brain damaged and this is his schtick so just pay him no mind.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

halo is a decent shooter thats heavily consolized but i'd still rather play that than "click poo poo and pretty colors happen and loot flies out the game"

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Iron Casanova posted:

gently caress you halo is great

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Widestancer posted:

With mods?

Torchlight 2.

Without mods?

Borderlands 1

more like borederlands

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How is grim dawn

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Eonwe posted:

How is grim dawn

their media page hasn't been updated in several months, probably because the devs are all too busy playing their awsome game, Grim Dawn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Eonwe posted:

How is grim dawn

it shows a lot of promise, when i first got it on early access it was one act and buggy as poo poo with poor balance. they're now up to three acts two complete acts with a ton of new stuff and the last time there was a major update was 11/15, which introduced instanced loot for online and other neat stuff.

it basically feels like titan quest 2 with a diablo-esque grimdark art style, it also feels really good hitting stuff and even though there's rapid health regen outside of combat it can get pretty loving hard. im just waiting for it to be actually finished before i touch it again because i hate being left hanging.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 29, 2014

• Locked thread