Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

So I've never really gotten into the EO games but have played drat near all the Megatens. Keeping that in mind what should I know to make things go smoother? I seem to be having money issues and gearing up is proving to be problematic. I just hit floor 3 of the first dungeon and have access to fusion. My party is all level 7 so I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Do I just go raid the power points and leave the dungeon or is there a better way to get money and materials?

You shouldn't really be having money issues. Just keep going in the dungeon until you have a full inventory, retreat and repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squallege posted:

All the Smash Bros on 3DS has put me in the market for a new 3DS so I'm going to grab this bad boy

Persona Q is pretty awesome. I've never played Etrian Odyssey so this is fairly new to me.

Don't buy a new 3DS until the New 3DS comes out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

SP damage tiles!? Atlus! :argh:

I really, really, really don't get why people are upset about this.

90% of the tiles (and 100% of the required route) have paths you can walk around them without taking any SP damage whatsoever. Shortly into the dungeon you'll get enough resources to buy Winged Sandals which cost a trivial amount and allow you to walk over the tiles without damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Personally I wonder why they even bothered with trap tiles in the first place with the inclusion of winged sandals. I guess to remind people to use items or something.

Its a general encouragement to use items and helps quietly stress that there are options besides brute forcing things, which is basically the lesson of the entire second labyrinth. The game is pretty Beginner EO and spends a good amount of time openly or quietly teaching you "here are how things work, yo."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My team has hilariously gravitated towards P4 Protagonist, P3 Protagonist, Shinjiro, Naoto and Mitsuru, which basically feels like "Team The Competent Ones" which cutscenes are happening.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

I don't really understand the point of poison. Trash mobs wipe too quickly for it to have much effect, and for bosses/FOEs, panic seems like a much better ailment, since it cripples their ability to attack and makes them unable to dodge any attack.

Poison is way better against the HP-wall enemies. They rarely have incredibly threatening attacks but being able to chunk their HP down in huge numbers makes them far more manageable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They're not terrible but the lack of a Persona is honestly pretty crippling.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

You're comparing them at one point in time. Each character has a pretty irregular stat curve. For example Mitsuru's stats take off towards the end game and she becomes one of the better characters.

Basically I think they balanced all the character stats towards being good at certain parts of the game if you weren't too good with the subpersona system, and figured you'd always have at least some characters who are doing well at any given point in the game.

Mitsuru begins as one of the better characters, just for having a cheap cast-all panic attack as a default ability. If you give her the LU-AGI Braclet she also becomes hilariously fast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Boy Maze 4 is tedious.

Also don't use Naoto unless you want to suck all the fun out of battle. She's just way, way too good. I took her along for the first floor of the 4th dungeon and every single thing is weak to her insta kills and with inpure touch there's literally no fight. Then it comes to a boss fight and surprise insta-kills don't work and your stuck with this turd of a character who can't do any damage whatsoever and just a waste.

You have Impure Touch on her. Give her other debuffs, like Poison.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SC Bracer posted:

Naoto is one of my bossfight mvps thanks to poison and impure touch. Honestly I find that magic is less useful in this game than physicals or ailments outside of instant death.

It really depends. Base magic is kinda eeeh, but you can boost it pretty absurdly. That said I don't really have a main magic attacker at the moment. Everyone is debuffs or a mix of physical/magical.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vengarr posted:

Forked Spear, it gives you a medium chance of getting two normal attacks per turn. That is, if you pick attack, you might get a second attack for free.

Victory Cry is underwhelming since it only restores HP. I rarely find myself losing HP in random battles thanks to Naoto "Murder Machine" Shirogane.

Check out this kickass navigator persona I fused. Money troubles are a thing of the past with this baby:

Safety Prayer lets you safely loot Power Sponges without shadow ambushes. Harvest Prayer and Cornucopia increase the rate of rare materials from P-Spots and give a low chance to gather extra times (I've had up to 8 so far). Hunter Prayer increases the drop rate from shadows, and Alleys of Light restores a little HP with every step taken.

Fortuna doesn't learn any other Navi skills, so don't bother sacrificing anything for her.

Why have Snake Glare there? Doesn't it only activate if they're the Battle Navi? At very least it activates for me off my Battle Navi, not my Field Navi.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inflammatory posted:

the dlc personas are out. holy poo poo, those unique skills.

What do they have?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theshim posted:

And Aigis!

Zen carries you too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

Okay, so Snake Eyes or Snake Glare or whatever it is. Do I need that on my "battle" navigator or my "labyrinth" navigator?

edit: holy poo poo, top of page, I'm a moron. Unfortunately right now it's on my labyrinth navigating persona. :(

Apparently it works on either.

Edit:

Can Golden Link be passed on to other Persona? It feels like nothing can inherit it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 3, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Francis posted:

I mean that hanging the entire boost mechanic and any sustained offense off of fishing for crits with multi-hit physicals is extremely limiting and unfun. It's less degenerate than being able to annhilate 95% of encounters with Impure Reach Naoto, but not by much.

But there are a ton of ways to get around that. Boost isn't your only option for speed in general. You don't have to use multi-hit physical crit-fishing, it's just one option.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Francis posted:

EO combat (especially in 3) is about stacking every offensive multiplier in the game and autopiloting to victory. That's all this boss is, since as you admit, it does nothing interesting or dangerous at all. Boosting isn't about speed, it's about being able to push through 18000 HP before I die of boredom and without neutering the third of the cast that used STR as their dump stat.

Uh, what? You're talking about a pretty different EO than I played where status effects and special abilities are also plenty powerful. Which also applies to Persona Q. If you're trying to brute-force damage everything try doing different things instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

How many hours is this game? P4 was like 70-80 on the timer plus probably 10 other hours for me because of all the lost progress from dying. Between vanilla and golden and multiple playthroughs I've spent like 300+ hours with that game.

Can I get anything close to that with Q?

It's less time. Probably closer to 40, but a big chunk of that is that it has way fewer cutscenes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This game is so goddamn depressing sometimes if you've played P3 :smith:

I can't wait for the P3 Protag to go to this party with everyone in 2 years! Oh Shinjiro is talking about how he should trust all the people younger then him and be more open. All these positive things!! :smith:

The constant times Margaret keeps trying to hint what is going to happen to Elizabeth is surprisingly depressing. It's basically a constant reminder P3 protagonist is gonna bite it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inflammatory posted:

eh, i'd say it takes until she gets mahama/mamudo for the murder train to really pick up.

Nah, early on enemies don't come in big numbers so even insta-killing one enemy per round is enough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I haven't started this game yet, but I've been reading comments here and elsewhere about the effectiveness of various members and their potential roles in the party. I've gone from "wow, Naoto sounds good, I should use her" to "wow, Naoto sounds too good, maybe I shouldn't use her," especially after reading about Impure Reach affecting Hama/Mudo. To be honest, that one thing sounds like just an awful design decision.

It isn't really. There are plenty of powerful ability combinations. Hama/Mudo + Impure just happens to be one of the easiest ones to get off.

Anyone with Tentarafoo is also broke as hell with Impure Reach for example. Part-wide panic is crazy and can cornhole many FOEs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think someone said earlier that you don't have to walk on damage tiles to complete a floor map? Well, they're wrong. You most certainly do need to.

I don't think anyone said that. It is however completely meaningless because you get Winged Sandals in the same floor they show up on so filling it out is a minor inconvenience at best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

Isn't this goons in literally any RPG ever? One of the most common complaints to pop up about Skyrim in the dragging games down thread is "it's too easy to brake it" and
goons regularly go "man that rpg is so easy because of how broken you can make your party." Goons just can't play a game and NOT try to powergame it.

How precisely are you supposed to play RPGs if you're not building an effective team with ability synergy? Because that is literally all you need to break the game here. Not "I read a FAQ and discovered all the abilities beforehand and am using a super-tedious method that earns me 1 extra skill point" or whatever. It's "hey, wow, I used Naoto in my party and gave her a skill that boosts the hit rate of her instant death moves."

I mean other than low-level runs or whatever, that is literally the point of RPGs. That isn't powergaming, that is playing the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

Did you know Impure Reach affected Hama and Mudo before reading the FAQ ie this thread?

Considering I had Impure Reach on Naoto anyway for a different reason it literally wouldn't have mattered either way. Impure Reach is a great skill even if it didn't influence Insta-kill attacks because Tentarafoo (which at least two characters naturally learn) is only just below instant death for 'wrecks random battles."

And since I'm a EO player, yes, I test moves to see how they synergize because that is a big part of playing EO.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

Neither is the method to break any other standard RPG.

Haha, what?

There are plenty of RPGs which have easy methods to break them but that doesn't mean all methods are created equal. These are not high-end strategies here. They are 'basic abilities characters have."

Like even if you don't give Impure Reach to Naoto she is still game-breakingly powerful. So are the two characters who get Tentarafoo. This isn't even giving characters special abilities or anything. It's literally poo poo they get at early levels by leveling up.

It's still a fun game and I'm enjoying it but it (like the main Persona games) is easy as balls.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

Again, the strategies required to break RPGs are very, very rarely high-end or complicated. They almost always involve using basic abilities or mechanics which are just flat out overpowered. It's not exactly a secret that RPGs are basically never well-balanced mechanically.

Except, again, unless you're talking about Final Fantasy (most of which are straight-up lovely RPGs) or the like, this really isn't true. They either involve specific strategies or exploiting basic abilities/attributes in ways which tend to require foreknowledge or somewhat in-depth understanding of game mechanics. The previous EO games have some OP strategies but most of them involve smart synergy of various skills, not "hit attack button."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

Clearly you and I play very different games then :shrug:

I play basically every RPG on the planet so probably, but I don't think I'm referencing anything particularly obscure here. Etrian Odyssey, the game that Persona Q is a psuedo-spinoff of, is an example all on its own.

And I still enjoy PQ. Creating broken builds and exploring dungeons is still fun to me. It's just a bit disappointing than it isn't even really on-par with the easier EO games. (and I don't mind easy EO games either! EO4 is probably my favorite.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

Yeah, because EO isn't utterly broken with just basic skills. Let's just forget about Immunize and Defender.

Immunize was pretty powerful but it wasn't remotely in the same ballpark and even then they pulled it out of the sequel because of the strength of it. Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty overpowered skill and needed nerfs hard but it isn't in the same area as "ability you get by default."

It's a fun game. I'm enjoy it. Anyone who argues it is way too easy to break and overly easy really have a fairly legitimate gripe. The game (and Person 4, especially Golden, also has this problem) throws way too many tools at the player without giving them anything that really needs it.

Rascyc posted:

I just equate Persona Q to SRW at this point and try not to think about it.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I approach it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 4, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

That makes it worse against trash mobs and potentially better against bosses, depending on how it handles that. Because that one Almighty physical move that Kaguya gets doesn't seem to hit the same enemy twice, period.

Other moves still do hit multiple times. That move you're talking about is one of the few I encountered that didn't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm on floor 9 of this final dungeon and I want to die.

Spend your time fusing broken demons and posting their QR codes. It is the only way to remain sane.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LibbyM posted:

Skill cards can't be reused right? I just got my first card, Recarm. I wanted to put it on yukiko but was planning to replace her once i get the persona 3 cast. Will I get a second Recarm card by then?

No, but you gain the ability to unlock additional cards by the midpoint of the third dungeon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toadsniff posted:

There is a severe lack of Personae too which is the series bread and butter, the battles are not at all challenging (in fact the first dungeon and first 10 hours are the hardest but from there, smooth sailing boyos).

There are a whole bunch of Persona so I'm not sure what you mean there. You get fewer after battle but you can fuse a whole lot.

"The first dungeon and the first 10 hours are the hardest" is basically SMT in a nutshell. Even at its easiest this game isn't remotely as easy as P3 or P4. (And that's saying something considering that you can Hama 3/4ths enemies in the game to death in the first round.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I just look at the list of Persona Q Persona and I'm not sure how you argue there is a 'severe lack of Persona.' There's the usual 6-10 per arcana.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

vilkacis posted:

Finally bagged me that FOE. Turns out the solution was "spam panic and reset until it loving well sticks".

Got some good armour out of it. It was... probably worth the time and effort.

You got Mara. The question is already answered.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

So is Mitsuru any good? I've been using her and Tetranafoo is nice, but I'm not finding her too useful aside from that. How are you all using her? I might switch her out with Zen and Rei.

That is really all you need from her, honestly.

She also has innate Mind Charge so she can save a skill slot on casting high-damage magic. I mostly used her as a debuffer and occasionally had her drop meganukes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

I didn't see it until pretty high levels.

Mind Charge and Power Charge just seem so bad in this game. Not only are they hideously expensive at 40 SP, they can't possibly put you in Boost state so your Charged attack is going to cost the full amount and come out at your normal speed instead of acting first.

Power Charge is fantastic because HP costs are rarely an issue. Magic Charge is more situational but if you have SP to spare (and you usually do) it's a better use of Boost than a regular cast if it isn't going to hit a weakness.

Physical damage is pretty OP so it isn't necessary but it doesn't hurt.

Cake Attack posted:

agh I spent all my money extracting skill cards and now i'm broke and also koromaru and yukari don't have subpersonas anymore and so i need to grind money to resummon them from the compendium

life is hard

Kill some FOEs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I know that melee characters are penalized when in the back row, but are ranged characters like Aigis similarly punished if you put them in the front?

They tend to have lower defenses and lower HP so they are in that sense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Whoa, FOEs will wander into normal fights if you get an encounter in their area. That's pretty cool.

Yeah, that's a classic Etrian Odyssey thing. It's kinda underused in PQ.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

Okay, so I just encountered the Old Doll on the 4th level of the Evil Spirits Club. Wow, this thing is PURE BULLSHIT. No wonder I saw some chatting about it upthread. It seems like binding magic is the only choice I really have against this thing, who's the best party member to give Makajam to?

It's vulnerable to Light insta-kills.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

I completely forget how you get playcoins.

Put 3DS in sleep mode. Walk around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessa posted:

So, I'm on the 3rd floor of Wonderland and can't figure out how to get past this FOE that's blocking the way. I did it before, but then used a Goho-m to get out and now I've forgotten how I got past him the first time.:/

Usually the answer is "paint the roses."

• Locked thread