Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The new VA for Naoto weirds me out. At least Kanji is usually really close to Troy Baker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FOEs aren't fun to get around and I don't like the puzzles for dealing with them. It makes exploring more tedious. Though I've only seen the Card Soldiers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That doesn't actually sound fun. It sounds annoying. I guess it's better than SMT4 Fiends or something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

KingEffingFrost posted:

I just finished the first dungeon using P4MC/Chie/Kanji up front and Naoto/Yukiko in back. Don't know what I want to do with the P3 crew yet though... I haven't even touched Rei/Zen because "no sub-personas" sounds completely awful.

This is my party exactly. I'm surprised by how much mileage I'm getting out of Hama/Mudo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

lunar blessing :love:

Don't you have to put Kaguya on your navigator to get that?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm not sure what I was thinking of in that case.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Technically Metis and FeMC don't exist.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So were the fighting games and they still didn't exist in those.

They won't exist in DAN either because all of these games are canon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It would have been nice, yeah.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

i dunno, adding all those characters would probably involve a lot of awkwardly writing around explaining who they are and why they're there. if they'd just made the game take place after arena it'd be fine, but as it is it'd be kind of distracting from the main plot.

the other option would be to just put them in the party selection without any explanation, but i don't really see the point in adding more characters if they wouldn't get any spoken lines outside battle.

You couldn't do this game after Arena because the P3 MC would be dead, that's why they do the weird time travel thing for the P3 cast in the first place. And Metis would still not exist. If they were gonna add these characters they'd have to make the game not canon. But it is, so they won't. :shrug:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Whelp, finally got around to finishing the first labyrinth and am now crippled with indecision as to what my team should be. Kinda wish I hadn't given Naoto my Media card so quickly, her new VA is just weird man. Also holy poo poo, P3MC blows P4MC out of the loving water.

God I wish the people not in your active party still got experience. It's so dumb that after all this time they still haven't changed that in Persona games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I guess I probably should have finished this meat jelly quest before because I can't remember anything about it. Time to accuse people at random and reload when it doesn't work!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That works as well, thanks. And while I'm getting help, what persona has an agility binding move? I need some snakeskin.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Einwand posted:

Links get insanely strong once you get double link and golden link combined together, god drat. What's up with Kanji's base stats though, he has almost half as much strength as the other strength focused characters with no major loss of other stats.

You mean twice as much? I think Kanji has like 40 strength in my game compared to the next highest stat of anyone being sub 30. His agility and luck are garbage is the thing. Looking real quick, at level 19 Kanji has 46 strength, 27 endurance, and then the rest are below 15.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Uh, my Kanji is at level 52 at the moment, and he has no stat below 26.

That was a typo, I was just correcting it. He's level 19.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

lol is anything in this game not weak to light or dark?

Seriously the instant death spells are ridiculously useful in this game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

He's your soul mate though. Together forever, live with your mistakes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Do you have her in the front row or something? Because you shouldn't have her in the front row. Also I've not seen a cupid enemy yet that hasn't been weak to instant death. Naoto's really, really good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hivac posted:

Sometimes I'll throw Naoto up front to use a poison attack and then switch back when it lands. Dunno if there's a ranged variant.

I don't think there's any advantage to doing this, she can attack without penalty from the back row. I've definitely used status effects with the back row and it works fine.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hivac posted:

yeah nope. :(

Also cheesing everything beefy with Poison is giving me some serious EO1 vibes...

It still doesn't matter at all if what you want is the poison proc, you're not getting reduced chances for that/less poison damage.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kinda wish FOEs didn't respawn. I get why they do, but I've killed like 10+ of these cupid horsemen things now and I'm getting pretty tired of either fighting them or engaging with their gimmick to explore. Also you have to kill some of them to get their spot on the floor filled in. :argh:

Though speaking of that, I'm at 97% map completion on the first floor of the second labyrinth and I have no idea which spots I missed. I'm sure they're those SP damaging ones but gently caress going over every single one until I find the few I missed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

at that point the map chest should be dirt cheap to open for playcoins, so i say gently caress it.

Last I checked on one with 90ish percent was still like 150 playcoins so

Also I don't leave my 3DS on when I'm not using it so I have less than ten playcoins.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Do you ever get upgrades for your item/persona storage? It's getting kind of annoying having to back out all the time to dump/fuse stuff.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

drat. It sucks that nearly half of your persona storage is taken up by your squad+navigators. I guess Rise/Fuuka don't really need sub personas, but I like having the extra skills for gathering/battle.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zurai posted:

Rise and Fuuka don't need sub-Personas, true, but neither do the other characters. Stuff like Purifying Rain, Snake Glare, and Heroic Wind are practically required IMO. Snake Glare especially; this is a game where getting ambushed can mean a TPK before you get a chance to act.

They do if you don't wanna back out of the dungeons every five minutes to refill your SP.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lunar Suite posted:

My current Kanji "Pain Train" Tatsumi has an Ose with Matarukaja, Critical Eye, Tempest Slash, Toxic Slice, Fang Smash and Impure Reach. Should probably swap either Aigis or Yukiko for Naoto and go to town. Might axe Yukiko because... really, I don't need that much healing, my P4MC has Media and I'm sure I can fuse Mediarama onto something.

Kanji's been pretty great with Warrior Title, Shinkuuha, and Power Charge for me so far. Even one hit is twice as much as my best from anyone else. I think my team kinda sucks though, Aigis and Yukari in particular are not pulling their weight but it doesn't matter much. I've kept that bow with a silence proc on Yukari and pray for crits with my MC so I can use Lunar Blessing and become completely untouchable. Naoto ends all random encounters before they can begin and Kanji does at least half of every FOE's health in damage by himself, but besides them? Eh, it works alright.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vengarr posted:

Aigis is a great tank with Pain-Eater. Put her in the back row, use Pain-Eater, then Body Shield the front row and let the attacks bounce off her. I'm in the same boat with Yukari though, pure casters seem pretty bad in this game. They need to hop on the Boost train or they'll run out of SP in a few rounds, and even if there's a weakness they can exploit, they can't match the raw damage of the Phys attackers. And Phys attackers can ride the Boost train anyway with the various elemental phys attacks. I'm thinking of having Naoto be the dedicated heal/support character for long battles and swapping Yukari out for Chie or someone else who hits like a sack of bricks. Maybe Shinjiro?

I don't have Pain-Eater yet, but honestly I can't see how it'd be better than Lunar Blessing. Somewhat useful for enemies that attack twice a turn, but still. My solution has been to fuse her a Pyro Jack using Kaguya and Ares to get some good skills on her while maintaining her resistances. Adsorb Fire from Jack and Resist Elec from the Ares Kanji is using (I know he already resists that, it's fusion fodder for later stuff since I have two people weak to it) is pretty nice. I just wish I could have transfered Warrior Title or Lunar Blessing, but you can't have everything I guess.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

there are elemental physical attacks too, you know.

edit: oh right that boss had no weaknesses. i forgot about that, but he's still not hard by any means.

There are plenty of FOEs with no weaknesses, dunno about regular bosses since I'm not that far in yet. I like this game but some of the design decisions frustrate me. I don't even necessarily think they're bad, the game is just slower than I'd like. Honestly I think Strange Journey was more fun to play, though I doubt that's a popular opinion.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zurai posted:

I've got a nearly-complete Enepedia and there are precisely 6 FOEs/Bosses with no weaknesses which I have seen (not counting The Reaper who probably also is in that category, but I havn't tried to kill it yet). Two are the two different Card Soldiers in the first labyrinth, one is an utterly stationary FOE, one is a semi-mobile FOE you have to intentionally choose to fight, and then the first and fourth labyrinth bosses (though the first hardly counts since there's plenty of ways to get Boost in that fight). That's it.

In the second labyrinth like half of the angel FOEs have no weaknesses (I can think of three varieties, gold, pink, and white. Gold is the only of them that has weaknesses, though there might be another one I'm forgetting) and none of the card soldiers do.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm making note of it because more than half of the FOEs in the entire first half of the game, potentially all but one even, have no weaknesses. That they don't move or that you can avoid them is irrelevant to how fun they are to fight. They're not even hard, just annoying. And you're going to fight them, it really doesn't matter whether you have to or not. You will. Maybe they should have put the ones with weaknesses first and kept the ones without for the end game, though it'd still be lame as gently caress to deal with them then.

My point is that what you're saying has no bearing on what I'd said at all. Optional or not, they're still not fun to fight and you should be fighting them. It'd be stupid not to.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I got Elizabeth as my destined partner. Game over folks, I have clearly won at this video game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Len posted:

It's asking if you want to date ken.

Or Teddie, or Aigis, or Koromaru

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think someone said earlier that you don't have to walk on damage tiles to complete a floor map? Well, they're wrong. You most certainly do need to.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Neither Skyrim nor Persona are hard in general. PQ is simply not a difficult game, but neither were the games it's based on.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Teddie is 100 times more annoying in this game than he was in P4 and I'm glad everyone snubs him at every turn.

Moldy Taxes posted:

You probably got that mixed up with the post saying you didn't need to step on tiles with the stationary FOEs

That could be.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Does it work like it did in P4?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That makes it worse against trash mobs and potentially better against bosses, depending on how it handles that. Because that one Almighty physical move that Kaguya gets doesn't seem to hit the same enemy twice, period.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

This FOE cannot be the jump scare people were talking about in Evil Spirits Club earlier. It just can't be.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like that I can just stare blankly at Naoto until she figures out puzzles for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Recarm is kinda bad anyway when it's a navigator skill. Besides, you shouldn't feel bad about wasting a Recarm card when Samarecarm exists.

• Locked thread