Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I think THE AWESOME GHOST was talking about the battle quips, although those work pretty much the same way. Chie/Yukiko and Kanji/Naoto give you extra lines, I'm assuming the other typical pairings do too. I'm not sure if the MCs have lines for anyone, but I have P3MC in a party with nobody else from P3(and P4MC as my main, so he gets no lines at all), so I'm not in a position to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Countblanc posted:

I just got this to have a way to kill time during holiday travel, which characters are good in which row? Gotta start planning my party before I even turn the game on natch'
Rows only matter for physical attacks, and even then only for certain ones. You can tell by whether it says RN(Ranged) or ML(Melee). The game will recommend rows for characters based on their weapon, but you'll never use their weapon for anything but inflicting statuses(and you can change rows mid-battle).

Basically put 2 or 3 tanky melee dudes(Kanji, Aigis, etc) in front and everyone else in back.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It's also not that hard to get a few subpersonas with ma-spells by then, so it makes the "we can't go on..." fall flat when you've barely spent any SP on the fight.

They should have made it a proper unwinnable battle if they were going to go the "we need more people to help!" route. :colbert:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Man, the cook a hot pot for Yosuke quest really drives home how much Atlus overused the "haha, girl can't cook!" cliche, since there are four girls it applies to. I get that anime poo poo loves that 'joke' for some reason, but goddamn.

KingEffingFrost posted:

Teddie can gently caress right off
Teddie is probably the character who suffered the most from the "distill the characters into a handful of mostly-comedic traits" approach since he was 90% comic relief in the first place. His rivalry with Koro is cute, but the rest of his dialogue is just him creeping on the girls.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

HGH posted:

I... I only just understood the pun with Goho-Ms. For years I've been wondering what it means.
I feel like the biggest idiot on the planet.
Now take a good long look at the Goba-Ks. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Just stick with status effect weapons. They don't affect anything but standard attacks, and using them for statuses is more use than you'd get out of them otherwise.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

theshim posted:

Yeah, one turn I didn't know what his vows were or wasn't paying attention or something and four of my party ate counters.
I ate a shameful amount of vow counters because I didn't hear any lines except the "vow not to strike" one, and never made the connection between UI colors and coffin colors. :downs:

But I won anyway. The penalty was more annoying than anything.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Any general tips?

quote:

obliterate everything with Naoto.

Other than that: Abuse power spots every chance you get. Poison is good against HP spong enemies, Panic is good against everything, Curse is OK but not good as either of those. Kill each type of FOE once you're up to it, since there's equipment you only get from selling their drops.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ApplesandOranges posted:

I know people don't like it but I actually found the puzzles decent. The annoying aspects for me were the encounter rate and the possibility of blocking yourself off with an FOE, which more or less forces you to Goho-M or Goba-K.
At least that dungeon also gives you the Goba-K More in a 100% Map chest. The encounter rate is what made it the biggest slog, imo(even with Naoto ending 99% of battles on turn one). I know Theo sells the rate lowering items, but the first one barely does poo poo and the second one unlocks way too late.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Is the final boss supposed to be hard?

Panic stuck first turn, before the boss could even make a move. It was all downhill from there. Afte the first wave of attacks, it had lost a third of its health. Next turn heroic gemini triggers and Kanji gets two Myriad Arrows, most of which crit. I think the game made the boss hang onto 1 HP just to make sure it could say all its lines. I'm sure its attacks would be very scary if it was able to use any of them. :v:

The spider boss before it was kind of a joke too, but the leg gimmick made it take longer. It wasn't any more difficult, just longer. Maybe I should bump the difficulty up in NG+...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The fifth lab also features tiny floors until the last two, which is a nice breather. The downside is that you can't end every encounter on turn one with just Naoto, because it ramps up the amount of enemies immune or resistant to either Light or Dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
No, but they shut up more in later dungeons(thankfully). You still get them commenting on obvious dungeon features from time to time, but nothing as bad as in Dungeon 1.

• Locked thread