Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Regarding Boost, it's important to note that getting hit while Boosted knocks you out of boost. So if you need a character to keep chaining free skills together, you may want to have one character act as a tank with attack drawing skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Burning Beetles are the worst. :argh:

They seem to be the Great Lynx of the game... at least they had the decency not to put them on floor 1!

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Aerox posted:

What kind of party is everyone using? I just finished the first dungeon and got access to the P3 characters and am kind of overwhelmed -- it's been a long time since I played an E.O. game so I don't remember what exactly is important in building a party.

I'm trying to make a diverse group of attacks/elements, so for right now I'm running Yu/Koromaru/Chie in front and Zen & Rei/Yukari in the back. Does Zen hold his own down the line, since he doesn't have a sub-persona, or does he end up falling behind all the rest of the characters?

I just finished the first dungeon using P4MC/Chie/Kanji up front and Naoto/Yukiko in back. Don't know what I want to do with the P3 crew yet though... I haven't even touched Rei/Zen because "no sub-personas" sounds completely awful.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Switched up my team to P4MC/Koromaru in front, Mitsuru, Yukari, and Yukiko in back loaded for bear with magic attacks. Wiped on the very first battle of the 2nd Labyrinth. Atlus games!

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Oh, about the Card Soldier FOE's in the first labyrinth. I actually think they're "weak" to ailments. I managed to keep one panicked for the entire fight against it. I also learned that Link skills can trigger off an opponent hitting themselves, which is awesome.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Welp, looks like "can't escape if your back is against a wall" has carried over from EO. Don't know why I thought it wouldn't have carried over, but a powered up Orobas has now been lost in the pursuit of science.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Because it hasn't been a thing since EO4 and U. I'm surprised to hear it's actually back.

Slight correction, it might not be back. It may have been the result of an unannounced mandatory fight after going through a door. It's hard to tell, as the enemy indicator was full red before stepping through the door, and there was no warning of a fight like there was in the previous labyrinth... I'm still not gonna chance it though.

Also, regarding the theme of the 2nd Labyrinth... Catherine-themed dungeon in a Persona game using Etrian Odyssey mechanics is a critical mass of Atlus

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

ZeusJupitar posted:

What level do I want to be before facing the Queen of Hearts on hard mode? I've got everyone at level 9 and just lost my first attempt to SP exhaustion.

I did it at 9 on my second attempt with the P4 team.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
The one thing about Swordbreaker is that it's very hard to transfer to anything else. I have a Valkyrie with it, and nothing that I've been potentially able to fuse can inherit it. That said, I don't mind using Aigis. She's pretty good as a tank, and as a tank. Death Counter is a Good Skill.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Note for anyone doing the "Investigate You in Wonderland!" quest: Don't go back to heal after killing the target. It'll respawn and you probably won't be very happy about it.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Whelp, finally got around to finishing the first labyrinth and am now crippled with indecision as to what my team should be. Kinda wish I hadn't given Naoto my Media card so quickly, her new VA is just weird man. Also holy poo poo, P3MC blows P4MC out of the loving water.

God I wish the people not in your active party still got experience. It's so dumb that after all this time they still haven't changed that in Persona games.

Well, at least the people not in your party get quest experience. Doing all the quests really helped me keep them at a usable level. Which is good because my approach has been "fuse the best Personas possible, then swap in whoever they're most compatible with".

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

SC Bracer posted:

Links basically proc extra attacks. Say Minato uses Frost link, then the next person to attack will proc an extra attack from Minato. You can improve the damage and hits of the links with more skills as you get them, and that's when they really start to shine.

Just to clarify, you get the extra attack the next time a party member hits the same enemy that was hit by the Link skill.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Speaking of Links, I just tried to attach my Turdak with Frost/Gale/Bolt/Double/Golden Link to my streetpass book, but the game wouldn't allow it. Apparently some Personas (quest rewards?) belong "only to you" and can't be streetpassed.

EDIT: Also, if you have a Matador and you're using Mitsuru, sacrifice the Matador instead of fusing it away. It gives a material that unlocks a fairly powerful Cursing weapon for Mitsuru

KingEffingFrost fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 1, 2014

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
There's just too much good stuff in the 2nd Labyrinth. I just finished it, and it's a drat shame that they didn't take the opportunity to call the boss' special move Shotgun Wedding.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
So, I got Red Rider and sacked a bunch of Personas to level it up to get Death's Scythe, which is good, but not quite EO4 Nightseeker murder machine good. Anyone know if there are advanced forms of that skill out there?

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Finally finished the Evil Spirit Club. Overall, I really liked it, definitely the best labyrinth so far. One thing did bug me though: did I miss a passage or is there a forced FOE fight on the last floor in the southwest corner of the map? I could not for the life of me get around to the other side of the wall where the second to last darkness key was, so I just fought one of the Lovely Dolls to break through.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Einwand posted:

If you're talking about the spot I think you are, that tetris piece shaped wall had two shortcuts in it, one by the switch and one to the left of the key

Ahhh, taking a closer look, you're right.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Armor-Piercing posted:

Mahamaon, full party wipe even with three people with resist light.

The real Shin Megami Tensei starts here.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

StandardVC10 posted:

It seems to catch up with me regardless, so frankly I'd rather just be able to kill it.

That's because it can move 2 spaces in a straight line for each step you take. Corners, even artificial ones, are your friend when escaping.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Dexie posted:

Where on earth are the Fate Seekers in the Evil Spirit Club? I've been all over the third and fourth floors and haven't ran into a single one.

Definitely not in the Group Date Cafe where the game says they are! In all seriousness though, I've only ever fought one as a result of a back attack while gathering at a power spot down on the fourth floor.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

StandardVC10 posted:

Is it just my imagination, or is the encounter rate higher in the fourth labyrinth?

Also, this whole torch mechanic is poo poo.

It definitely feels way higher to me. I've actually been using the "lower encounter rate" items, the names of which escape me at the moment.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
52 is a good level for Personas. Black Rider, Kartikeya, and Decarabia are all Good Personas. Also, got a scene where Yosuke was crying about only being level 28.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
I didn't manage to panic the 4th boss at all, but I did stick an Agility Bind on it for 12 turns after Stagnant Air. I don't think any of its hits ever landed on me... Oh, that reminds me, do you actually have to fight the Festival Dudes in the manner prescribed by Elizabeth? I mean, I did it, but it seemed like she may have been trolling.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Just finished the game. Overall, I really enjoyed it. Thought the labyrinths were cool and pretty well thought out. The combat, not so well thought out, though I thought the boost idea was interesting. The game was very cute, definitely made me laugh, and Teddie can gently caress right off. I'd play another one, though I guess Digital Devil Saga Q might be too much to ask.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
For anyone who's been playing/finished this and said to themselves, "You know, I could play another game like this if it couldn't be snapped in half just by choosing one particular character and murdering every FOE, and maybe smaller labyrinths would be nice too", Etrian Odyssey 4 is the game for you. I started up a new game of it shortly after finishing this, and pretty much everything you learn from this game carries over really well. It also has a great soundtrack and you get a :krad: airship to fly around in 20-30 minutes into the game.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Nessa posted:

I'm stuck on one of the spiders on floor 8 of the Clock Tower. I just couldn't figure out the trick to getting by them, so I started fighting them. I've managed to take out a few of them, but this one just won't go down, since I can't manage to panic it before it starts using Mamudoon and Mahamaon to take everyone out.:/

These are the web spiders right? The key is to figure out the rules of their movement. They're very specific, think "a Knight in chess, with a rocket booster strapped to the horse".

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Haifisch posted:

Is the final boss supposed to be hard?

Panic stuck first turn, before the boss could even make a move. It was all downhill from there. Afte the first wave of attacks, it had lost a third of its health. Next turn heroic gemini triggers and Kanji gets two Myriad Arrows, most of which crit. I think the game made the boss hang onto 1 HP just to make sure it could say all its lines. I'm sure its attacks would be very scary if it was able to use any of them. :v:

The spider boss before it was kind of a joke too, but the leg gimmick made it take longer. It wasn't any more difficult, just longer. Maybe I should bump the difficulty up in NG+...

Well, when I fought him, he got out of panic after 2 turns, cast a Diarahan equivalent, then I couldn't get an ailment to stick for the rest of the battle so he got to use this time stopping ability that was the equivalent of Dragon's Eye from Nocturne. Didn't help him much, but it was pretty scary at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Volt Catfish posted:

I've made it to Floor 4 of the IPE, please tell me this floor isn't as bad as Floor 3 was :(

Well, it's definitely not the same level of bad as Floor 3.

• Locked thread