Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Zurai posted:

There are a lot of cool builds available through sub-Personas, including EO-esque things like links (attacks which do damage when they're used and then trigger additional attacks under certain situations, usually another ally hitting the same target), circles (3-turn battlefield spells that attempt to hit the entire enemy party with an ailment or bind effect every turn, and various abilities which only function while you have a circle active like passive healing, etc), and dealing extra damage to enemies with ailments.

I was super stoked when I got a Persona with Stun Circle and realized there'd be other circles in the game. Arcanist was my absolute favorite class in EO4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Oh man, I was about ready to give up when (first dungeon boss) the Queen summoned a fifth set of card soldiers after I'd already exhausted most of my SP, but then Yukari pulled the gently caress through with her reaction attack and sniped the boss for the rest of her health.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Do the FOEs on the 2nd floor of the 2nd labyrinth have any exceptional weaknesses to debuffs? I couldn't get poison to land, and I ended up just brute forcing one down since Chie got enough crits to keep up a sustained Lunar Blessing through the fight, but it took something like twenty minutes to slog through.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

I was under the impression they were vulnerable to poison because I've had amazing luck with getting that to stick. If you're around level 29 you can also consider fusing up a Succubus, and grabbing their ability that increases your chance to land statuses.

Ah, that's quite a ways off since I'm level 19 at the moment. I just figured they'd be as easy to clear as the 1st floor's FOEs on my first run through.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Do circles have a lower chance of applying their debuffs as a tradeoff for being a a room-wide persistent debuff? I know I complained about not being able to land poison a few pages ago, and I just realized it's because I've been trying to apply it with a circle.

Or maybe I should ask what's the quickest way to grab an Impure Reach skill card to toss onto my arcanist.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

i'm not sure on the circles versus regular ailment spells thing. i don't think there's much of a difference in sp costs though, so i'd assume there's some drawback to circles.

if you're far enough into the game to be able to extract skill cards from personas, i'm pretty sure incubus is your best bet. if you're not that far, just keep going, it unlocks partway through the third stratum.

Thanks for that. I've just hit the 4th floor of the 2nd dungeon so I'm not quite there yet, but I'll keep it in mind.

Speaking of the 2nd dungeon, I'm a pretty big fan of how each floor introduced a new FOE mechanic, with the 4th floor tying them all together.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think someone said earlier that you don't have to walk on damage tiles to complete a floor map? Well, they're wrong. You most certainly do need to.

You probably got that mixed up with the post saying you didn't need to step on tiles with the stationary FOEs

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Vengarr posted:

When it says characters belong in the front or back row, they're just talking about their weapons. As in, the bog-standard "Attack" command that you'll pretty much never use.

I will say that Attack does have one use: those 1 DMG weapons you tend to pick up from the dungeon also come stacked with debuff bonuses, so if you want to hit a certain debuff they're a pretty cool way to apply them without having to use Persona skills.

Also while I haven't found one yet, a weapon that's stacked with Crit might serve you on your mage to get a crit + free cast of whatever expensive spell you want.

Vengarr posted:

Do the Growth+ items increase XP gain if the character is in the main party?

I don't believe they did in P3/P4 but the description is a little different in PQ. It reads "+25% XP, even if not in the party" instead of something like "1/3 XP gain if not in party".

I think it's something like 125% while in party, 25% while in reserve.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Could just not fight it and do the dungeon gimmick, dude.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Also you're going to miss the satisfaction of actually solving the gimmick.

I pretty much jumped from excitement when I solved it.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Do evolved personas get carried over into NG+? I'm not using P4MC in my main party, and if they don't carry over I figure I'll just unlock it during my second playthrough since I'll be leveling him instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Zurai posted:

^^^ Pretty sure Black Frost is just Jack Frost, Pyro Jack, and King Frost.

Yeah, I really wish there was an option between carrying over everything, just the map, and nothing. I'd like to have carried over just my map and compendium, for example, but not character levels and equipment.

Especially weird because Etrian Odyssey Untold let you choose whether or not to carry over your map, levels, item storage, and shop stock individually. Figured they would do that here too, but I guess not!

• Locked thread