Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Some general tips:
  • You can't buy SP restoring items until after the first labyrinth.

• You should always have one Ariadne Thread Goho-M when going into a labyrinth. There's no point in having more than one at a time since you have limited bag space and you can easily buy another once you're act. The game will warn you if you try going in a labyrinth without any Goho-Ms, which is pretty nice.

• The experience you get from battles and quests for your active party is a pool divided between everyone conscious in your party. If you want to level someone up faster, try bringing a smaller party. Everyone outside your active party will still gain some partial experience from completing quests.

• You can get a reward from a chest on every floor if you walk on every tile possible on the floor. This includes damage tiles. You can also open the chest by forking over play coins, and the number of play coins you have to pay up is determined by the number of tiles you're missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Are the characters designed to the same basic styles as they are in their main games? I.E. Mitsuru gets ice magic, Yosuke gets wind and so on? Is anyone different? How does the new character play?

I want to say Rei & Zen are closest to a Runemaster from EO4. They're really well-rounded. They get access to all basic elemental damage types and good healing skills. They start off with a passive SP heal too, which is really nice.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What would be a good level to kill the Card FOE on Floor 1 of Wonderland?

I took one down at around level 9 because the boss was giving me trouble, but it took a longass time. They're easier to deal with than the Burning Beetles, as long as your party can take a hit.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can do the dating quiz thing after beating the labyrinth, yesss.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think it's a gag quest and you win no matter what considering what happens to Teddy.

Nah, if you do the "proper" way, you get a bonus reward in addition to what's listed. A lot of the quests are like that.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Maleficent posted:

I kinda want to get this, but I only finished Persona 3. I did a few hours of 4, but now I don't have the means of playing it through anymore. I have read enough about the characters to know the gist of everyone's personality but I don't know much of anything about the plot or minor details. Will I be okay to play this, in contrast to something like Arena which is pretty much Persona 4.5?

They make some very specific references to what happens in Persona 4, including Golden. It's not unplayable, but I don't think you'd enjoy as much if you aren't familiar with P4G.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't say I was expecting a jump scare in this game.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is there a Jump Scare FOE?

At least the first time it's introduced, yeah.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

if he's talking about the ones i think he's talking about (the cute babies in the evil spirit club?), they're really not that scary after the first time it happens.

especially since with the right party mix you should be able to beat them before you've even completed the floor.

No, there are ones the lovely dolls a bit after that which like to pop up from the ground.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sodium Chloride posted:

Does the US version of Q allow for screenshots? Apparently you can't in the Euro version.

Nope.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Aerox posted:

What kind of party is everyone using? I just finished the first dungeon and got access to the P3 characters and am kind of overwhelmed -- it's been a long time since I played an E.O. game so I don't remember what exactly is important in building a party.

I'm trying to make a diverse group of attacks/elements, so for right now I'm running Yu/Koromaru/Chie in front and Zen & Rei/Yukari in the back. Does Zen hold his own down the line, since he doesn't have a sub-persona, or does he end up falling behind all the rest of the characters?

After I got access to the P3 guys, I remembered that I either hated their stat spreads or thought their Personas were ugly, so I kept rolling with Yu/Yosuke/Kanji in front and Zen & Rei/Yukiko in the back. Yosuke with Impure Reach/Lullaby is amazing for stopping random mooks from ever attacking, which is much more useful in the third labyrinth since that's when more Light/Dark resistant Shadows pop up.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Iceclaw posted:

Does the game allows you to try every one out, or must you commit to a select team of 5? I only played the first EO, and messing up my party's setup and having to retrain them slowly was miserable.

You can't really gently caress up any character anyway. Everyone levels like in Persona, and all their primary skills/stats are out of your hands. There aren't anything like skill points for you to distribute.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh hey, this FOE is weak to Slash, how hard could it be to f-- oh, it has Mamudoon.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Put Kanji on the front line a bit into the second Labyrinth, holy goddamn he hits like a truck.

Once you unlock the stat-swap accessories, you can give him an En-Ag reverse ring and he'll hit like a lightning fast truck. It's amazing. :allears:

ZeusJupitar posted:

What level do I want to be before facing the Queen of Hearts on hard mode? I've got everyone at level 9 and just lost my first attempt to SP exhaustion.

I grinded for about two hours and did it at level 11. I think you can handle fighting the FOEs at this point as long as you play defensively, and beating each one gives you a sub-Persona around level 30. You should also consider swapping in a more physical-oriented character, since they don't rely as much on SP to deal damage.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

StarkRavingMad posted:

There's a nav skill that does 20% heal at the end of battle - do I want that on my labyrinth navigator or my battle navigator? I'm not sure when it kicks in. Or if it matters.

Battle. You can see it restored immediately as the battle ends.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is it just me or are the lovely dolls way tougher than the big old doll, because the former seem to be way better at dodging and spamming Megidola. :argh:

e: Also, I insulted Junpei's jokes and everyone regained some HP. I love this game.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 30, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't stand horror stuff, but the song that plays during one of the FOE pursuits in the third labyrinth is actually really chill.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

equip kaguya on someone with a lightning skill. congrats, you are now basically invincible.

also, someone give me a hint about this door puzzle on the fourth floor of the third labyrinth. no need to spoil the answer entirely, just a tip about what the letters mean, or where to find a clue in-game.

The letters are a complete red herring. You should ignore them.

VVV I sympathize.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 30, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

getting hit by an element you null/absorb still removes boost. lame.

Getting hit by a panicked teammate won't at least.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

holy poo poo, gently caress the old doll so much. even with impure reach, i cannot for the life of me land any magic binds on it.

Impure Reach affects ailments. You want Binding Hands for binds. :v:

(Get Samael.)

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 30, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I'm a bit confused. I'm on floor 2 of the 3rd maze and I got a bunch of directions to follow on some paper but even going over my map that I'm pretty sure I got down perfectly I can't figure out where I'm supposed to take said steps. My first guess was the reference room but Naoto said not there.

You just have to look on your map to see where you can walk that path. I find it's helpful to draw it using the auto walk line. You want to look out for some kind of loop.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Samael posted:

I agree with this.

Also, how the heck do you download DLC? I go on add on content and it says it has been updated but there isn't options to download any DLC.

You have to do from the game. On the title screen, notice how the last option is Add On Content?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Beef Waifu posted:

Where do I repeat the questionnaire, I'm curious.

Go back and start at the entrance of the second labyrinth. You should trigger some dialogue.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you really want to wreck poo poo, Myriad Arrows is the closest thing I've found to a Hassou Tobi equivalent. 6-8 random hits is as great as you'd expect for bosses, especially if you can get off an agility bind. :v:

e: I found out that panicked enemies can't actually dodge, and after a Dragon Cry, Myriad Arrows from Kanji finished off the Burning Beetle equivalent in the fourth labyrinth in one turn. :stare:

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 1, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

theshim posted:

Characters are not even remotely balanced in this game. Compare Yukari and Junpei to Mitsuru and Akihiko, they get clobbered.

Junpei's description outright says he's not the best stat-wise, so they're at least aware of it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

You mean twice as much? I think Kanji has like 40 strength in my game compared to the next highest stat of anyone being sub 30. His agility and luck are garbage is the thing. Looking real quick, at level 90 Kanji has 46 strength, 27 endurance, and then the rest are below 15.

Uh, my Kanji is at level 52 at the moment, and he has no stat below 26.

Neeksy posted:

How do links work? I don't think it's ever been explained in game.

Links will automatically follow up the next party member to attack the same turn. Of course, nothing will happen if the one using the Link attack acts last.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

That was a typo, I was just correcting it. He's level 19.

You edit both too fast and too slow. :mad:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SC Bracer posted:

Links basically proc extra attacks. Say Minato uses Frost link, then the next person to attack will proc an extra attack from Minato. You can improve the damage and hits of the links with more skills as you get them, and that's when they really start to shine.

e: how much better is Mitsuru over Yukari? Yukari is doing just fine for me as my ailments/heal bot because of how ridiculous poison is.

I don't really understand the point of poison. Trash mobs wipe too quickly for it to have much effect, and for bosses/FOEs, panic seems like a much better ailment, since it cripples their ability to attack and makes them unable to dodge any attack.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

You guys just haven't experienced the magic of Myriad Arrows yet. :colbert: And I'm not just saying that because I've never tried poison except off a weapon!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr Pepper posted:

Oh hey second stratum.

I love the new enemies that outrun everybody but Yosuke, hit for half of everybody's HP, bind their magic at the same time, and come in either swarms or with paralyzing enemies.

:suicide:

There's a reason Yosuke has Tentarafoo. :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Toadsniff posted:

I'm curious as to which questions lead to which character. The first question of the dungeon is really weird and makes me think Ken is a possible choice. Please tell me I'm wrong and it's always Teddie please.

I kept a save file at the last choice my first time through so I could see all the ones I was down to, which were Ken, Koromaru, and Teddie. Ken is as much of a downer as you'd expect.

"I learned in social studies that two men can't married! Japanese law doesn't allow it!"

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Vengarr posted:

Thanks, this is really helpful.

Post your QR Codes with your best personas, nerds. If you hit "Create QR Code" it saves it to the SD card and then you can upload it using the 3DS screenshot uploader or whatever.

Well if you insist.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is it weird that even though I'm not a fan of localized honorifics, I don't mind the Japanese wordplay at all?

Like what's there is kind of clever if you know what to look for, but it'd be really difficult to translate into English.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Beef Waifu posted:

Japanese wordplay is bad because in the context of this game it requires the mispronunciation of western words to work and that just muddles what they're trying to do in something of a joke.

I feel like we're talking about different things.

On another note, gently caress FOEs with Diarahan.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Beef Waifu posted:

I had assumed you got to a certain point, in which case I will keep my mouth shut.

I have gotten past the fourth labyrinth, and I think you're talking about Rei being a corrupted abbreviation of Philei, but the fact that Rei means zero in Japanese is never brought up, which I appreciate as a bonus incidental joke. The ニコ/二子 is the one I was talking about and is what gets explained.I like that one because it's something you could potentially see beforehand if you're familiar with the language, but not something you'd be inclined to think of, kind of like Hikaru in SMT IV.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

i think he was referring to the jokes where it's like someone uses a word and then someone else confuses it for a different word that sounds sort of similar and that's the extent of the joke.

Oh yeah, those. I didn't think of that because I was only talking about the wordplay that they didn't translate.

Also, the fifth labyrinth has conditional drops for killing Shadows with light/dark, pffffft.

e: I can't believe that the spiritual successor to Funky Student's riddles have made it into this game.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 2, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Formaldehyde equivalent in this game is only 9,000 yen. :swoon:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I'm just about done with the 3rd maze's 4th floor. I just did that strange guide Rei around thing and I'm now trying to open the door with all these letters and stuff and I have no goddamn idea what to do with this. I've been trying several things and nothin seems to be working. Can I just get told the order because I'm sick of this place.

If you wander around enough lost, the characters will end up solving the puzzle for you, but here are some tips.

Hint 1: The letters are a complete red herring. Pay attention to the signs.

Hint 2: You notice how the top right room had a book with the ++ sign, and the top left room had a room with a -+ sign? There are two other rooms below those you couldn't see the books in, but is there anything with four quadrants and positive and negative associations coming to mind?

Hint 3: Remember the Cartesian plane?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Artix posted:

Okay I'm completely done giving a gently caress about Evil Spirits Club's puzzle aspects. I'm done with the actual dungeon but I wanted to clean up requests before I fought the guardian and Elizabeth gave me a code for the puzzle rooms. Assuming it works the same way as the main dungeon's puzzle, it's not actually possible to go through the rooms in that order, so how do I get her secret message?

Yosuke will eventually figure out it for you if you wander around enough. :v: The numbers refer to something else, they're the number of doors in each room.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Butt Ghost posted:

Should I play this on hard for the true experience, or is hard just kinda dumb?

I've been playing only on Hard. The first boss is kind of tough, but from then on the game is pretty smooth sailing. I've wiped like 20+ times, but 99% of the time that was because I was being arrogant and thought it would be a good idea to keep exploring when 4/5 of my party was knocked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dexie posted:

Flame Link, Golden Link, Healing Harp, Victory Cry, Return from Yomi, Fire Boost?, Absorb Fire?

Not sure what 'Bifurcated of pike' is supposed to be.

I wanna say Forked Spear.

e: Assuming you're talking about 二又の矛, because Kartikeya gets that too.

• Locked thread