Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
What triggers the all-out attacks? Is it based on boost? Seems like it asks you if you want to do one if enough of your party members get boosted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I think I just ran into this game's version of the Venomfly events. In hindsight, the sword thing was obvious. Still can't believe I made it through that. Status effects are really good in this game. Speaking of, is it like the EO games where it gets harder to inflict the same status effect on enemies over and over?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Einwand posted:

Are all the FOEs as annoyingly bulky and weaknessless like the card soldiers? Though maybe killing one at level six didn't help it feeling like a giant meat sponge.

FOEs are obstacles to avoid, not enemies to fight. You need to wait until much later before taking them on.

Who has the automap turned on? I don't since I like drawing my own maps, but the wall radar is handy.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

EO3 was probably the fastest the battle system has been. On the fastest settings you could blaze through turns within seconds if you held down A. This is much slower than any of the recent EO games.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Burning Beetles are the worst. :argh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

neongrey posted:

Will turning up the difficulty ease off the hand-holding maybe? I want to like this game. I really do, but it's fighting me.

No. Even on risky, everyone is a chatterbox.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

neongrey posted:

Burning off your SP and working off reserve during exploration is literally what that part of the system is for.

I've actually been playing it the other way around. Burning through my sub's SP frequently while saving the regular SP pool for emergencies.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

KingEffingFrost posted:

Welp, looks like "can't escape if your back is against a wall" has carried over from EO. Don't know why I thought it wouldn't have carried over, but a powered up Orobas has now been lost in the pursuit of science.

Because it hasn't been a thing since EO4 and U. I'm surprised to hear it's actually back.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So for the EO vets in this thread, how do the difficulty levels in this compare to other EO games?

Untold Expert was probably the hardest the EO games got. So far this isn't as rough as that, even on Risky.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Are the Card Soldiers just damage sponges? I'm fighting one right now, and they don't seem all that dangerous, but it's taking a while to bring them down.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Huh, even on risky, the first boss wasn't too bad. I loved it when the card soldiers showed up because that meant free boost for everyone. And if I got lucky, an all out attack would kick in. :getin:

By the way, how good is poison? I never used it but I noticed that some of the personas could inflict it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SP damage tiles!? Atlus! :argh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I just put Incubus on her and she got it through that. I'm having her act as an Arcanist on top of that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Do the different poison skills have different DOTs? I'm using Poisoma on Naoto, but I had to get rid of Toxic Slice to make room for Impure Reach.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

The Formaldehyde equivalent in this game is only 9,000 yen. :swoon:

Is it infinite stock? That's the important part.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

oh my god i drew a wall where there was a door

I did this a few times in the EO games and I kept getting stuck because of my own mistakes. :argh:

Does Tempest Slash have a high crit rate? I have that on Kanji and :stare:.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Actually no, because there's a hierarchy. :v: From the ones I've seen, Ken and Koromaru are the ones who carry you.

Shinjiro too. I ended up with him as mine. :v:

Can you force anyone else to read Marie's poem, or is it always Akihiko?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

You don't have to walk on tiles that force you to fight an FOE to get to. Like if they're stationary, or if they're moving in a way that makes that tile impossible to get to without fighting it.

g0lbez posted:

so does this game ever get remotely challenging? I'm at the fourth labyrinth on risky and just got to the fourth floor and aside from the first labyrinth guardian there's been absolutely nothing that's been able to pose any threat at all. I picked risky mode for a reason :(

It's probably down there with EO4 as one of the easier games.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh wow, the baby FOEs aren't immune to light?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

Wait, seriously? Oh man, it is time for revenge.

The Cute Dolls aren't, so don't try it on them. Bring some sort of instant death protection if you do insist on taking them on. They're heavily resistant to poison, so Impure Reach + Poison skill of your choice isn't gonna do much.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I'm really liking the third labyrinth a lot. The FOE puzzles in this game are a lot more interesting than in the EO series. I'm hoping they take a page from PQ and implement things like that in EOV.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

So is Mitsuru any good? I've been using her and Tetranafoo is nice, but I'm not finding her too useful aside from that. How are you all using her? I might switch her out with Zen and Rei.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Okay, this door on the second level of the third dungeon is starting to piss me off. I get that the 1-2-3-4 in black and white meant something, there was some kind of clue about dice, but the puzzle provides absolutely no information about its state or what resets it.

Map out the FOEs and lights and take a closer look at the map.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Level 9 is fine if you have something like Maragi or some other AOE skill. But at that point you'd have to kill an FOE to get a persona like that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dexie posted:

Where on earth are the Fate Seekers in the Evil Spirit Club? I've been all over the third and fourth floors and haven't ran into a single one.

On the third floor, they can ambush you at power spots, so try there. Be warned that they're like the Burning Beetles and the Kings in the first and second labyrinths.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I think the 3rd labyrinth was my favorite one. The atmosphere was nice, and the puzzles were really neat. Maybe not the Cartesian plane puzzle but I really enjoyed it. I'm not really enjoying these torch puzzles in the 4th labyrinth much though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

What skills do you need to make good use of links? I was thinking of making a linking Persona for Kanji.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Mitsuru's skill sounds like it's the Persona version of Ecstasy. Huge damage in exchange for releasing binds. Although it would have to do a lot of damage to justify it. Does it scale with the number of binds? It would probably make a powerful combo with that all bind skill.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Wait, so the game doesn't remind me what color corresponds to what Japanese word if I forgot? Seriously?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Power charged myriad arrows on Kanji is filthy. I think I can use panic instead of poison now. :stare:

So there was an event where Yukari complained about being too low leveled. What was that about?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Are there conditional drops I should be paying attention to? I think I already have some equipment that needs conditionals to make but I didn't bother with them for some reason.

Most of them are just for quests and they tell you how to get those. They didn't really involve conditional drops much in this game. The only one that you don't need for a quest is poisoning a cupid in the 2nd labyrinth.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Grimace posted:

Perhaps more importantly, this game has gotten me interested in the other Etrian Odysseys. Think I might take a peek at them whenever I get some downtime. :unsmith:

If you're gonna do that, EO4 is a very good starting point. It's the easiest EO game and it's the most user friendly of the bunch.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Okay so they just rolled me with two attacks per turn and I had Shinjiro, P3MC, P4MC, and Kanji. Am I missing someting?

Did you use a Leader Skill? That counts against you too.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There's very little plot in the EO games. Not too much long winded dialogue either. It may be comparable to Etrian Odyssey Untold, which is EO with plot, but what I've seen, PQ is more long winded than that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Is there a guide somewhere that tells you which answers lead to whom? I think I can guess my way to Yosuke and Yukari, but it'd be nice to check.

The way the group date cafe works, is that the first question determines the sex of your partner. Then it asks you a bunch of questions where one answer will determine your partner. If you answer one of those questions "right" the rest of the questions will be filler questions that doesn't influence your choices in any way. If you answer them all "wrong" the last question will outright ask you who's your type.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Here's the solution.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Lotish posted:

So how does the difficulty of this stack up against Etrian Odyssey 3 or 4 or Persona 3 or 4? Because I beat the latter two fine but never made it very far in the first two.

Even on the hardest difficulty, it's really easy compared to EO4.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It's also weird that instant death counted as a status ailment in this game. That wasn't a thing in the EO series since 3. Impure Reach + Light/Dark wouldn't have been so ridiculously broken if it wasn't. Although it probably didn't help that lots of things were weak to those.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I think what you're supposed to do with Teddie is to proc crits with physicals, and then use his magic spells for free. Except that magic sucks in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I really liked the 3rd labyrinth and I was expecting an even better labyrinth for the next one. Nope, it was a huge letdown. The torch puzzles were not as good as how the 3rd one handled things.

theshim posted:

It's really the fourth floor that overstayed its welcome, but yeah. Still not as bad as EO4's third land though!

Oh god don't remind me of that awful dungeon.

• Locked thread