Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What would be a good level to kill the Card FOE on Floor 1 of Wonderland?

Also, is it just me, or does Rei make anyone else hungry?

you get a request to kill one after completing the labyrinth, so i guess around then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

You can do the dating quiz thing after beating the labyrinth, yesss.

elizabeth's wedding scene may in fact be mankind's greatest achievement.

LordHippoman posted:

Does this game feature my main lady, Mitsuru "Motherfucking" Kirijo, and her magic battery powered motorcycle?

mitsuru is here, her motorcycle is not.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Zurai posted:

I'm sorry, you're wrong. Koromaru's wedding scene cannot be beaten.

you're right, i'd forgotten about him. back to the labyrinth i go.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
okay, so third labyrinth first floor. i'm stuck.

i've found the clue saying art is after shop and geometry is after science. are there any other clues i should be looking for, and if so where are they?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

The worst velvet room is Margaret.

Elizabeth is the best.

Discuss.

what's there to discuss?

also marie manages streetpass stuff, which in the west means that you will never ever need to speak to her ever outside of the poem MY PATHOS IS SCREAMING events and requests.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
^^rise's skills are more situational, yeah. her second skill reduces all skill costs for the turn to zero and her third one lets your whole party act before the enemy.

Einwand posted:

Are all the FOEs as annoyingly bulky and weaknessless like the card soldiers? Though maybe killing one at level six didn't help it feeling like a giant meat sponge.

so far i've seen six different foes, and only two of them have had weaknesses.

and yeah you're supposed to wait until like level 10 to fight the card soldiers.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i have an irresistible compulsion to get the map chests so i just walk on every space i can and let automap do the work.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

That doesn't actually sound fun. It sounds annoying. I guess it's better than SMT4 Fiends or something.

this may not be the game for you. not even trying to be a dick, dodging foes is a big part of these games.

like, in the second dungeon there are foes who only move when you make eye contact with them, and you need to figure out how to move groups of them in the right order to get past them.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Lame, jump scares always always get me. I'm a dumb idiot who falls for that stuff all the time.

if he's talking about the ones i think he's talking about (the cute babies in the evil spirit club?), they're really not that scary after the first time it happens.

especially since with the right party mix you should be able to beat them before you've even completed the floor.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Ken and that dog are horrible characters

:staredog:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

DrManiac posted:

I hope they carry over party members taking about shadow types when you get into battle to persona 5.

yeah the battle banter is one of the best touches in this game.

"cupid? more like STUPID. :smug:"

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Einwand posted:

At least they're polite enough to not murder you if they get an ambush.
The FOE gear drops seem kind of weird compared to the EO games, the painter soldiers give you an armor that's almost three times better than anything you can get in the first labyrinth, while the card soldiers only give you a slightly better sword you can't even make until the second one, does this change as it goes on?

yeah so far the card soldiers seem to be the odd one out, although i'm only in the third dungeon.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i'm rolling with yu/chie/makoto in front and aigis/naoto in back. decided against using zen and rei since their skills were so expensive early on, but apparently their attack power picks up later and makes the cost worth it.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Looper posted:

who says this

chie. everyone says you're missing out if you're not using kanji, and that goes double for chie.

she also has the best follow-up attack quote.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

KingEffingFrost posted:

I just finished the first dungeon using P4MC/Chie/Kanji up front and Naoto/Yukiko in back. Don't know what I want to do with the P3 crew yet though... I haven't even touched Rei/Zen because "no sub-personas" sounds completely awful.

they've got high base hp and sp to compensate, and rei's first skill is passive sp regen when walking.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

No, there are ones the lovely dolls a bit after that which like to pop up from the ground.

oh i'm sure it's not that scAAAAAAAAAA

jesus loving christ atlus.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Roguelike posted:

So does everyone get this (end of the 2nd dungeon spoiler) scene or does it change based on the options you pick?

it's based on the questions. the first two divide everyone into four groups, and each of the later questions corresponds to a specific character in the group that you picked. answer a character's question correctly and you can get their scene at the end. the last two (?) questions don't correspond to anyone in particular and are probably just tie-breakers.

Inflammatory fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 29, 2014

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Iceclaw posted:

Does the game allows you to try every one out, or must you commit to a select team of 5? I only played the first EO, and messing up my party's setup and having to retrain them slowly was miserable.

i'd recommend committing to a single team, most of your skills come from sub-personas and as long as you keep your party pretty balanced with physical and magic builds and don't take a bunch of characters who are weak to the same element, you should be fine.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Beef Waifu posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure it's Yukari that says that.

the best follow-up quote or cupid more like stupid? i'm positive that chie says the latter, because i've never used yukari outside of the battle with the card soldiers right before the first boss where you have to use her.

or you were making a reference to stupei ace defective that went over my head

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Worldwide Panther posted:

Yes, the solution is to slide that little volume control on the side of the 3DS :)

or look at the config menu.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

neongrey posted:

Even with the volume off you're still getting barraged with messages that I want to go away. The config menu just seems to have voice volume control, not 'shut up, I know you're short on SP, that's why you've got a sub with enough to cast all the spells you need'.

if you wanted to play a dungeon crawler without any predefined characters you probably shouldn't have bought this dungeon crawler with predefined characters. the messages aren't even that intrusive.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
leader, you've been probated! you might not be able to post for a while!

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

neongrey posted:

It's incredibly intrusive. They're coming in after every single fight and every few steps in the dungeon

Will turning up the difficulty ease off the hand-holding maybe? I want to like this game. I really do, but it's fighting me.

if you're getting low-on-hp/sp messages after every fight you might wanna turn the difficulty down, not up.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i don't love the pop-ups either but i just don't think it's worth all the fuss people have been making over it. the game is not trying to patronize anyone.

also nth-ing the bit about sub-persona pools, getting through each battle while minimizing hp/sp loss is kind of a big part of these games.

Inflammatory fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 29, 2014

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Vengarr posted:

I'm not sure about Risky, but at least on Hard Mode you can summon Kaguya (the FreeLC sub-persona) as soon as you get the Compendium. She gives +37 SP, which is three free insta-kills per fight.

Slap her on Naoto and spam Mudo/Hama everyday.

lunar blessing :love:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
it doesn't really matter, you get everybody after the first dungeon and after that it just makes some of the scenes focus more on whichever group you picked. i'd say just pick whoever you think will give you an easier time through the first dungeon.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

Don't you have to put Kaguya on your navigator to get that?

nope, it's not a nav skill.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Toadsniff posted:

Accidentally fought a FOE in the second dungeon..and.. it was super easy! I've been reverse fusing level 26+ persona's I got from the first dungeon's FOE's and just mopping up everything with them :getin:

yeah those gold cupid dudes aren't really too tough. having a weakness makes a big difference.

Beef Waifu posted:

Yeah, I somehow figured I'd get Teddie.

:smugteddie: :respek: :smugteddie:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
all that said, i like how they've changed up foes so they aren't all either "patrol a set route and ignore the player" or "chase the player". i've only played eo4 and untold but dodging foes in pq actually feels like a puzzle where it really didn't in those games, and i hope they keep that up in later installments.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i dunno, adding all those characters would probably involve a lot of awkwardly writing around explaining who they are and why they're there. if they'd just made the game take place after arena it'd be fine, but as it is it'd be kind of distracting from the main plot.

the other option would be to just put them in the party selection without any explanation, but i don't really see the point in adding more characters if they wouldn't get any spoken lines outside battle.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i really do wish they'd made this game take place after arena or something to make it not a forgone conclusion that everyone's memories are going to be wiped at the end.

like, the etrian odyssey dungeon crawling in crazy persona settings is really cool and it'd be nice to see it again in a game where the writing is less restricted.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
on a more positive note, gently caress yeah just got mara from beating a foe.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

Is it just me or are the lovely dolls way tougher than the big old doll, because the former seem to be way better at dodging and spamming Megidola. :argh:

i didn't even know they used megidola but yeah, most of their attacks aren't that dangerous, they're just so loving hard to hit. i tried fighting the old doll for a bit too, but it had way more health than i felt like fighting through. :effort:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

is this game actually canon?

I know I put that in the title but I was kinda joking

yeah, atlus has said that the game is canon but that it would be spoilers to explain why.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Dexie posted:

What's a good level to do the "Investigate You in Wonderland" request? That drat beetle is kicking my rear end.

equip kaguya on someone with a lightning skill. congrats, you are now basically invincible.

also, someone give me a hint about this door puzzle on the fourth floor of the third labyrinth. no need to spoil the answer entirely, just a tip about what the letters mean, or where to find a clue in-game.

Inflammatory fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 30, 2014

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

The letters are a complete red herring. You should ignore them.

atlus :argh:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

TheJoker138 posted:

What spell gets rid of Stona?

anything that cures ailments. patra, patra stones, purifying rain, etc. i don't think there are any specific cures for specific ailments.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
getting hit by an element you null/absorb still removes boost. lame.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Zurai posted:

That's very strange, because Immunity Buffer (High chance to null physical attacks on user) doesn't remove boost when it triggers.

okay maybe it's just absorb then. like in the early etrian odyssey games with the protector wall skills, where ailments would still stick if you absorbed the element of the attack that caused them, but not if you nulled it.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Huh, even on risky, the first boss wasn't too bad. I loved it when the card soldiers showed up because that meant free boost for everyone. And if I got lucky, an all out attack would kick in. :getin:

By the way, how good is poison? I never used it but I noticed that some of the personas could inflict it.

poison damage seems to be a percentage of max health rather than scaling with the attack that caused it like in eo. it did pretty good against early foes but i haven't really used it for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
holy poo poo, gently caress the old doll so much. even with impure reach, i cannot for the life of me land any magic binds on it.

• Locked thread