Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
I'm just trying to figure out what frame of mind you have to be in to even put those out there. I mean even the super crazy tone mapped poo poo makes more mental sense than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

xzzy posted:

Scrolling through their instagram, it's textbook dunning-kruger. They think they're emulating what successful photographers do, but lack the awareness to realize how far off they are.

What successful photographer has super out of focus pics that weren't shot on like a 100+ year old camera or something?

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

8th-snype posted:

Henri Cartier-Bresson?

At least I can tell what the hell is going on in his pics and get what he's going for.

This is a reminder I really need to study some photography history though.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

unpacked robinhood posted:

From the KS thread.
Want an expensive way for your uninspired photos to look like goddamn rear end ?

If I wanted everything to look like that I'd just take off my glasses.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

xzzy posted:

Someone please send help to this man, everywhere he goes the earth starts glowing red hot.

https://www.instagram.com/grantplace/

The sad part is that he's got some decent ideas with composition (a few a bit generic, but others I genuinely like). But that editing... yeesh.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Going back to some of the earlier discussion about photogs charging barely anything for photo sessions... a friend of mine and I were doing some research on convention cosplay shooters (and why I don't do it). We actually found someone that A) was only wanting $20 for a 30 minute session, and B) would give that person all the RAW files.

So many things to say... not enough booze here to do it.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

8th-snype posted:

I'm actually honestly planning on spending my next comic con following around con photographers and taking photos of them and their weird set ups.

If you do please post it somewhere, I'd love to see it. Lately the only camera I'll take to a con is my Instax Wide 300. I'll take one for myself and then another to give to them (along with a sticker for our website). They're super appreciative when you give them a physical memento of how they were wearing that costume at that particular time.

indyrenegade posted:

Thank you for that actually. I took some good advice from it.

Glad you got something out of it. We do have a lot of fun with this exploring how we see these characters in the situations we come up with. It's kinda like fanfic... minus the bad writing and self-inserts sleeping with whoever.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

:golfclap:

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Christ... that makes my tag use look like a Hugo award winning novel by comparison.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

unpacked robinhood posted:

Related: are people who run scripts to autofave other's photo and bring audience usually completely bland and boring as poo poo as photographers ? It seems pretty consistent

Joke's on them: I never go bother to look at their profiles. :)

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

It's funny when people I work with who are in front of the camera find an image and can point out exactly what's wrong with it. And they're NOT photographers!

Once I can find an image link to share here I'll be curious to see if people pick out the same reasons it was not a good photo for the same reasons we did.

ReverendHammer fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 7, 2019

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

I shared that with a friend who actually studies astrophysics as part of her college work... I think she hates me now.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

I've got a really odd question and I figured this thread would be a good place to ask. Though I will admit this is probably best directed to those who do more portrait work.

If you have people you work with on a regular basis do you ever show them mediocre to downright awful pics posted by others and ask them to pull out what exactly is wrong with them? Not to make fun of whoever actually posted the photo... but how to make it better. I work with a regular group of people and I've found that to be a good exercise especially so they understand why I do things the way I do. I'm not perfect by any means (and I very specifically ask them to call out any issues in the stuff we do). It just seems like we all learn something from doing this. And I was just curious if anyone else actually does it.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

red19fire posted:

It's good to find a group to constructively criticize each other's work. I do this with a couple of trusted friends, we get together every month or so with a few prints and critique each other's work. Criticizing strangers is also cool, there was a lovely photographer thread a few years ago that got pretty wild. Or, the dorkroom slack channel is a loving thunderdome.

It's good to find a trusted group to poo poo on terrible photographers and critique your own work. Being able to describe and pinpoint what makes a photo bad will help you to avoid mistakes in the future.

Whenever we're in a studio and I can shoot tethered I'll get other members of the team to look at the screen and call out any possible problems. When we might be out on a location we'll walk through where I would like to shoot to see if they point out anything of concern.

Looking at works from others has been interesting because most of the time we have no idea what their lighting setup was or the direction of their artistic intent. The former you can get some decent ideas of what they did if you think through things. But the latter isn't always apparent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

As someone who does cosplay/fashion/fine art portrait photos... holy poo poo the fabric mismatching across the "costume" makes me cringe.

Also for the horse I hope that's some sort of animal friendly dye. Because if not gently caress this entire image and the people involved.