Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I love that the title is an off-rhyme in a thread about the bastard child entry in a series with a rhyming witch. :allears:

e: Last LP with Rooreeloo asked for user submissions for the big ramp jump in one of the worlds. Sports world? and it was fantastic to watch. Any plans for getting CRAZY with user submissions?

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

dscruffy1 posted:

I love that the title is an off-rhyme in a thread about the bastard child entry in a series with a rhyming witch. :allears:

e: Last LP with Rooreeloo asked for user submissions for the big ramp jump in one of the worlds. Sports world? and it was fantastic to watch. Any plans for getting CRAZY with user submissions?

Im sure me and Dex can get something whipped up. If the cards play out right, it may even have prizes up for grabs! Time will tell..

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Guess it's time for my annual dusting off of this game. I guess since I never had a Nintendo 64 and thus no exposure to Banjo Kazooie before it wound up on XBLA this game never ruined my appreciation for anything, and I enjoy it far more than I have any right. Its flaws are many and apparent, but it's still one of my all-time favorite games, so this is definitely being followed. Roorelooo's old LP got off to such a promising start, too (and Lorak's Kintetikos was a blast)...

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Velocity Raptor posted:

This is actually a really common thing in game development. If a studio ends up coming up with a new "untested" idea, publishers will often decide to tie the unique idea into a known franchise and hope the name recognition will help drive sales. Similar to Silent Hill 4: The Room.

Adding in new elements/messing with the formula is pretty common, but in SH4 as far as I recall the actual levels were still pretty Silent Hill-ish, the first person hubworld type thing was just added in, it didn't take away basically all the established gameplay. Once you got into levels you still did running from monsters in cramped, slightly-off environments with kind of bad fighting controls making combat something you kind of wanted to avoid rather than seek out. It was still a survival horror game, it just had some new stuff added in around the core gameplay. For better or for worse, it didn't completely change the concept.

This game not only threw out the entire concept of a collectathon platformer, it actively mocks the player over the removal of the old moves. (And I'm not saying mocking the player is always a bad thing, humour wise, but combined with the huge shift in gameplay it feels even more alienating). If they'd kept the platforming stuff around, but also had a vehicle building system and plenty of challenges that required the vehicles, that would have been a neat way to switch up the franchise. This isn't going to be what fans of the originals games (i.e people who would be drawn in my the name) expect or necessarily want, so tacking on the name feels like a huge misstep. Seems like it would have drawn less hate and possibly done better without that.

I'm just super baffled by this game, if I'm honest. I don't have any frame of reference for whether it's bad or not, though the first video isn't promising, but as someone who played the originals as a dumb kid but never bothered to pick this up, it is not what I expected it to be and is just... confusing. If I had bought this, I would have been unimpressed by the sweeping changes, that's for sure.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

While I'm definitely disappointed at not getting another proper Banjo game, I did manage to enjoy this game for what it was, which was (oh god I'm sorry) a platform for making ridiculous vehicles to do ridiculous things. I mean, sure there are challenges and Jiggies and whatever, but to me the real joy comes from putting together a crazy-stupid vehicle that by all rights shouldn't actually work but somehow does.

Regarding the Jiggy vending, if you accept the Jiggy Bank as a physical object that is a good idea to have (I'm not convinced it is, but at least it's a big noticeable Thing in the middle of town), then carrying the Jiggies to the bank starts to make a bit more sense. The vending is also relatively friendly for multiple Jiggies since as I recall they (mostly) spit out into a nice pile.

Seedy Wizard
Feb 17, 2011

who wants a
body massage
gently caress this game

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Oh man, I love this game! Then again I only played the GBA game

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
My god, it's happening. :getin:

I'm stoked for the rest of this LP.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I wonder if this game would have been better received if Rare just decided on a hard reboot of the series rather then mangling the already established one. I mean, Activision did it with Spyro and that Skylanders and look how popular that is. Granted, it was with a completely new audience, but maybe that was part of its success.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Really, the best part of this game for me is messing about making daft things. Sometimes half the fun is spending ages making a thing and then as soon as you take it out it falls over. I think the big problem is it only really gets fun when you have enough options to work with.

Making it a Banjo-Kazooie game was probably a bad idea, or at least it seems that way. I really liked the first N64 one, but this was basically an entirely different thing and I think could have avoided all the backlash from nostalgic people if it just made some new characters. Rare always seemed good at slapping googly eyes on things and then filling them with character.

The levels are really nice though. Packed full of details and things that make it really fun to explore. When you have better parts. I guess there's quite a few bits that only really work as a Banjo-Kazooie game but actually thinking about it they could just have had them as references (really indepth, detailed ones but still). It'd probably seem (and be) ridiculously self-indulgent though.

The pre-built vehicle bits can go to hell.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

McDragon posted:

Really, the best part of this game for me is messing about making daft things. Sometimes half the fun is spending ages making a thing and then as soon as you take it out it falls over. I think the big problem is it only really gets fun when you have enough options to work with.

N&B is a great idea marred by somewhat sub-par execution hugely amplified by player expectations, which is why the game was much better received when it was later released as Cargo! The Quest for Gravity by Ice Pick Lodge.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
So happy about this! I am a big defender of this game. I loved the original 2 and this game by no means compares but I still had infinite fun with it. I wish Rare would go back to making good stuff...

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dex, I sent you a PM. Because of reasons. :ninja:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I was certainly not expecting to see this thread pop up. I thought you guys were done LPing for a while.

As for the game: Vehicle building was sweet, but I want my modern Banjo platformer, god drat it Microsoft.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

dijon du jour posted:

N&B is a great idea marred by somewhat sub-par execution hugely amplified by player expectations, which is why the game was much better received when it was later released as Cargo! The Quest for Gravity by Ice Pick Lodge.

Cargo! was loving abysmal, don't kid yourself.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

JavaJesus posted:

While I'm definitely disappointed at not getting another proper Banjo game, I did manage to enjoy this game for what it was, which was (oh god I'm sorry) a platform for making ridiculous vehicles to do ridiculous things. I mean, sure there are challenges and Jiggies and whatever, but to me the real joy comes from putting together a crazy-stupid vehicle that by all rights shouldn't actually work but somehow does.

My favorite part about Rooreeloo's old LP was the one viewer-submitted vehicle for the distance challenge that was basically just a big lump that abused a physics glitch to fly five kilometers.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Cargo! was loving abysmal, don't kid yourself.

I dunno, I thought it was at least slightly better than Nuts & Bolts, and I wouldn't even quite call that abysmal

vektuz
Sep 19, 2005
Endangered Species
I loved Nuts & Bolts. That and EDF2017 is the only xbox 360 games I actually purchased after renting just about every one that exists.

Maybe I have poor taste. But I also have every jiggy and every note.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
"I don't get why they changed the way collecting and unlocking things worked"

To be fair, it's not like Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie had notes and jiggies working the same way, either.

For notes: Banjo-Kazooie had you collecting 100 separate individual notes in each world to set your "best note score" (meaning you had to collect them all over again if you died or left the level) and you used them to open note doors. Banjo-Tooie had you collecting note nests worth 5 notes each (plus a treble clef for 25) and you showed them to Jamjars to get moves. Nuts and Bolts turned notes into actual physics objects and lets you spend them to get... various things.

For jiggies: Banjo-Kazooie had a lot of jiggies just lying about, and you put them into jigsaw puzzles throughout the hub world to unlock worlds. Banjo-Tooie had more of the notes earned from missions (though some were still just there) and you had to return to Jiggywiggy's temple to solve an actual jigsaw puzzle to unlock the next world. Nuts and Bolts having all the jiggies be earned from missions is just the natural progression, and since notes are physics objects why not have jiggies be physics objects too, it'll give the stupid trolley a use. (not that you should be limited to the trolley in town in the first place, but oh well, a design decision can be correct even when it only had to be made due to an incorrect one) The whole globe/plinth thing is basically a combination of how worlds were unlocked in Kazooie and in Tooie, having you go to a central location then take a token to places scattered throughout the hub.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I gotta say though, I really like the idea of turning collectibles into actual physical objects. Treating floating magical pickups like regular bodies is something very few games actually do and it gives the wrench more a feeling of power. It'd be cool if they designed puzzles around grabbing pickups and rearranging them, though they probably didn't do any of that. I really wish Rare would have worked on this concept from the beginning, I bet it would have been worlds better, Banjo or not.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Nuts and Bolts isn't a bad game, it's just a bad Banjo game, if this was a spinoff game like Mario Tennis or one of the many other Mario sidegames, I wouldn't have a problem, but this, as far as Rare were concerned, is Banjo-Threeie and there lies the problem for me.

To use the Mario thing again, it's like if Mario Galaxy turned out to be an intergalactic football game, where you earn stars by winning matches and doing space penalty trials, as fun as it may sound, it's not what you may have signed up for, or expected for a direct sequel to a series of platformers.

Judge Tesla fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 30, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

DeliciousCookie posted:

There is...sorta. Basically, you can modify any car made for log challenges once you get into the race/event. You can disassemble pieces and reassemble them into something a bit less unwieldy. Some of the challenges are stupidly hard if you don't at least do this. However its pretty much not the intention for you to do just that.

From a few pages ago, but I'm hoping to see as much of this happen as possible.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Of all the redesigns in this game, Banjo and Wumba's bother me the most. Banjo is really square (90s man), and it looks like Wumba was aged down.

The others look good as far as I remember though.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I actually like Kazooie and Mumbo. Banjo's squareishness is hit or miss, but eh.

I'd heard at one point that the characters' dialogue was actually going to be voiced instead of using the typical sound effects from BK and BT. Call me crazy, but I'm curious to see how that would've turned out; it's not like this game could have possibly been MORE divisive. I bring it up because it struck me that Grunty's cackling after she booted the cat in that one cutscene sounded a lot more like actual voice acting than anything else in this game to my recollection.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

ManlyGrunting posted:

I think the Lord of Games is a serious detriment to the game, since more or less everything he says is a direct insult to the older games and he just sort of exists to remind you of the games you played and laugh at you for liking them. I have a long-standing suspicion that he's based off of some suit who told Rare to make the game like this.

e: and he literally owns a video game factory, hmm...

I dunno why Rare thought putting a character in who directly mocks the concept of well-regarded games they made would be the right way of setting tone here.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Cranky Kong talked poo poo about the DKC games all the time.

edit: though I guess CK was a newness hating old coot while LOG is talking poo poo about the old games.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 1, 2014

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
A good point, but at least in the SNES DKC games you could go through them without seeing Cranky much at all. Not so much here, LOG is in your face from the get go.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Kurtofan posted:

Cranky Kong talked poo poo about the DKC games all the time.

edit: though I guess CK was a newness hating old coot while LOG is talking poo poo about the old games.

I saw Cranky as more of the "Back in my day" kind of character, meant to be that one old guy that talks about kids these days and how he had to walk to his video games in the snow, uphill both ways. I always found him endearing mostly because it's made pretty explicit that he's the original DK from the arcade game and so he's not just a character made to poo poo on the player for liking a certain type of game.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Justin_Brett posted:

A good point, but at least in the SNES DKC games you could go through them without seeing Cranky much at all. Not so much here, LOG is in your face from the get go.

Yeah, Cranky was definitely way more low key.

Kooriken posted:

I saw Cranky as more of the "Back in my day" kind of character, meant to be that one old guy that talks about kids these days and how he had to walk to his video games in the snow, uphill both ways. I always found him endearing mostly because it's made pretty explicit that he's the original DK from the arcade game and so he's not just a character made to poo poo on the player for liking a certain type of game.

Oh yeah, I thought he was an endearing character as well. LOG is just...obnoxious? I do like the pong-face concept though.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 1, 2014

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Cranky Kong had old fogey-charm, LOG just comes off like an rear end in a top hat. As with all humour, it's more about the execution than the content.

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
I was so mad at this game when it came out, but a cousin convinced me to give it a shot finally. I had a lot of fun once my expectations were set properly. It's not the Banjo game that I (still) want, but making a vehicle that moves by jumping and kicking off walls or a car that drives on vertical surfaces is still a joy.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, you guys are giving this game the treatment it deserves. Keep up the good work.

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012
I just love that all the level openings are old tv intros. Nutty Acres is a perfect spoof of Dallas, theme song and sequence included!

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Looking forward to watching this. Also chiming in on Nuts and Bolts, I personally enjoyed the game, when I first saw it LPed I thought the vehicle mechanics were awesome, so I ended up buying a 360 so I could play it. I was not disappointed, but I wasn't expecting it to be a banjo game. Also because I was just playing it before I saw this thread, I am reminded of Robocraft. The vehicle building seems almost identical.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I've often heard negative comments about this game, so this will be an experience. Also, does Grunty's Revenge count as a Banjo-Kazooie game?

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
I love the poo poo out of this game, and while I can understand complaints towards it, I can't believe how many people just absolutely think it's pure trash.
I'm gonna dust off my copy and build something stupid.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
You sequence broke wrong!

If you stand on top of something on top of the trolley, you can lift both yourself AND the Trolley up, as seen here. (if you knew this, I'll edit this out)

Also, did you not install the patch that increased the text size or did they just not do it high enough?

I like this game a lot, and the vehicle building is fun.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 3, 2014

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010
Several years ago I created my account while watching Rooreeloo's LP of this game that was eventually abandoned because of his real life complications. So I'm super excited to see this game get another LP even so long after the last one, and I can't wait to see it all unfold!

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
You know, I just realized Nuts & Bolts is basically Banjo Kazooie: Uprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010
I'm another one who missed BK the original games, but came across BK:N&B during the XBox360 era. I really enjoyed the game - I think the humour is great, and I love the colourful environments, and ways that one can both play levels legitimately, and totally cheese them [e.g. in the race in episode 1. there is a 'legitimate' route following the path of musical notes along a 'road', but you'll never get the trophy on that route. You need to take the cross-country shortcut to complete the mission in 20s].

• Locked thread