Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I think the main appeal of this game is the vehicle building aspect since that can lead to hijinks involving creating the most ludicrous vehicles conceivable and taking them for a spin made even more hilarious by the game's physics engine which can send objects flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, Rare does at least try to justify some of the more questionable design decisions such as the duo losing their old moves being do to atrophy.

The Jiggy vending can also be explained since the bank is supposed to be your Jiggy inventory and Jiggies collected in the levels don't transfer directly to the aforementioned bank though granted why Jiggies don't don't directly transfer is never explained.

One good thing is that level notes collected during one act count for the entire level not just the act they were collected in so backtracking for notes is somewhat easier thanks to this.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 28, 2014

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Velocity Raptor posted:

This is actually a really common thing in game development. If a studio ends up coming up with a new "untested" idea, publishers will often decide to tie the unique idea into a known franchise and hope the name recognition will help drive sales. Similar to Silent Hill 4: The Room.

See also: Kirby's Epic Yarn

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
At least the game's engine made physics and destructible set pieces possible which makes ramming into everything all the more satisfying.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

The Deleter posted:

Also the botched-together Havok physics is fantastic and I can't wait to see more abusee. :getin:

I honesty think Rare wanted the Jiggies be physical objects because they wanted physics shenanigans. LOG even says thst the Tamper Switches aren't supposed to exist in the first place.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

jivjov posted:

I think all of them are subtitle LPs...

The main LP videos were but he did a multiplayer group session with other goons from that thread as a bonus before the N&B LP died.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The Jinjo's book is in fact the Wotnot Book from Kameo: Elements of Power.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

I for one would be thrilled to hear you talk about Viva Pinata, Vile.

Agreed, Viva Piņata is one of those games I'd like to see an LP for that's never really brought up in forum much.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Ghost Stromboli posted:

Although who knows, maybe the primary audience by then was more like "children ages 10+" or some other, broader demographic.

Pretty much all mascot games apart from like Conker's Bad Fur Day are marketed to kids regardless of the brand's own age, the besr examples of this being Mario and Kirby.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The thing is that Banjo Kazooie was designed for you to 100% every stage the first time through with the exceptions of the aforementioned desert/winter stages whereas Tooie was designed explicitly for you to revisit levels multiple times hence stuff like the train. Prior to Tooie, inter-level connectivity wasn't a big thing in platformers with BK's desert/winter switch-up being one of the few notable exceptions so for Tooie to base its entire game design around this concept was unheard of meaning it really was the first and only of its kind.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

BK was pretty much the first big platformer after Super Mario 64, wasn't it?

Technically Crash Bandicoot was released the same year as Mario 64 though whether it came before or after depends on which release date you're looking at. Nevertheless, CB was successful enough to get two games before BK was even released.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

True, but Crash was a different style platformer; it wasn't a task-based collect-a-thon, it was more straight platforming to a goal.

Admittedly Crash was more like 2D platformers than a fully 3D platformer with its limited range of directional movement though it did have collectables in the form of Gems and later Crystals & Relics.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Microsoft's assessment that the bottom had fallen out of the platformer market wasn't wrong at the time since the market had at that point been saturated with games which just weren't selling well.

As much as people here hate to admit; there is a reason that Crash is now in permanent limbo, Spyro is now a member of the Skylanders, and the sixth-eighth generation of consoles doesn't have a mascot platformer at the same level as Mario.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
It didn't help that the first experiments with bringing fifth-gen mascots into the sixth gen systems, Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly and Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex, were pretty abysmal failures by all accounts and not a promising omen.

I'd say there are some underrated gems like Ty the Tasmanian Tiger (which is actually being LP'd right now) and Mario Sunshine but otherwise there was a lot of garbage.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Ghost Stromboli posted:

Maybe I was too young to appreciate Ty, but I never thought it was particularly great. Although it did teach me some ridiculous Australian gibberish. Sly Cooper also stuck around, and considering Sony keeps Sly around as one of its token console mascots we'll probably see another one soonish.

Admittedly, Ty wasn't amazing compared to say Banjo Tooie but it was one of the better series to come out of the sixth generation. Sly Cooper is an arguably better series overall than Ty but like with the Jak series, it became less about the platforming in and of itself and more about the story and completing missions.

In-fact now that I think about it, a lot of the good platformers at the time were more story-based aside from maybe Mario.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Stallion Cabana posted:

wait where is the Ty Let's Play? It was one of those games I was curious about but never got to play.

Here's the thread: link

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Dr. Buttass has it right: It wasn't so much the graphics rather the technology that allowed for the graphics, that's why games that made use of their limits like Wind Waker Okami did were so well received.

Hell, Kalon even made a comment to this extent during the Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction LP since cartoony games like R&C tend to age better than games that go for realism.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The cushion part of the hovercraft is called the skirt.

Mumbo & Humba were only married for Nutty Acres while LOG and Pikelet are new as well.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 31, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Kalon, I believe that you're talking about the Curvy Curbs minigame from Mario Party 5.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Pretty certain the idea behind Leafos' rumors is that they are supposed to be taken with a grain of salt as it's to make the player think critically since the idea that all the game's rumors are true doesn't seem that realistic especially given that "My uncle works for Nintendo" was a thing for years.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Kgummy posted:

The show is Medabot. The robot is named Metabee. For some reason.

Medabots, and Metabee's name is a portmanteau of Metal Beetle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

DeliciousCookie posted:

I don't think its suppose to spoof any specific movie. Most of the levels have been vague spoofs of various old TV shows. This one looks like its specifically spoofing retro scifi in general.

I'd assume the science fiction horror genre from the level name, font used, and background music.

• Locked thread