Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the largest number?
View Results

• Locked thread
Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
nis games are autism constructs in the form of anime grid-based strategy games.

some stuff:
there aren't caps on anything
there's a lot of postgame
there's a lot of grind, plus ways to deal with the grind
in disgaea you can throw enemies together to combine them to make super enemies, or grind on your own characters and get a different ending for it
in phantom brave it's completely possible to be a character who mastered the ability to pick the main character up and use her for a clib

let's talking about nis games, and have a grand time

edit:
some of them aren't turn based fft style strategy

zettai hero project is a roguelike, prinny is an action sidescroller, prinny 2 gets you arrested as a pedo if you say the name out loud in a game store

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Does Hyperdimension Neptunia count as a NIS game?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

The Taint Reaper posted:

Does Hyperdimension Neptunia count as a NIS game?

it's by NIS so yes but gimme a rundown on what it is in an imp-like manner

inexpensive meal
Jan 29, 2012

toot toot

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

added to op

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Doctor Goat posted:

it's by NIS so yes but gimme a rundown on what it is in an imp-like manner

So you're this videogame girl who's supposed to be the Embodiment of Sega and all the other characters are some representation of a videogame system or a videogame company.

The script loving sucks and the references are not only shoe-horned in, they're added to parts that make zero contextual sense (i.e. "If you don't tell me what's going on I'm going to go around here collecting gold rings")

Tits

The battle system sucks

But there's Tits

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im pretty sure NIS just publishes neptunia, Compile Heart makes it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

soul nomad is the worst best game ever made

i love everything about it, even if everything about it is half-realized and mildly retarded

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Cake Attack posted:

im pretty sure NIS just publishes neptunia, Compile Heart makes it

It's more than that, they're a loving character in the game itself.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Endorph posted:

soul nomad is the worst best game ever made

i love everything about it, even if everything about it is half-realized and mildly retarded

it has one of the darkest evil paths i can think of in a game too

gig is in disgaea 3 and if you use his magichange and it runs out, he eats the person wielding him instead of despawning

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's more than that, they're a loving character in the game itself.
compile heart is a character too. and NISA hasn't been in any of the more recent games

Doctor Goat posted:

gig is in disgaea 3 and if you use his magichange and it runs out, he eats the person wielding him instead of despawning
yeah the evil path is hosed, but also extremely cool.

the final stage where you fight almost every major character from the main game was fun even if raksha was the only real threat

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

they're all tedious garbage and if you willingly play them you are a pedophile and need to be reported to the police immediately.

inexpensive meal
Jan 29, 2012

toot toot

mysterious loyall X posted:

they're all tedious garbage and if you willingly play them you are a pedophile and need to be reported to the police immediately.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i just played the battle in disgaea 4 that explains magichange and i feel as if a new world has opened up.

i'm also bummed that cladun x2 isn't a better game

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I've only played Disgaea 1 2 and 3 but I thought they were okay. This is kind of an unpopular opinion but I think each new game in the series improved greatly upon the framework of the previous ones. Some people say the story got worse but I really don't care about that at all in Disgaea games.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Doctor Goat posted:

Is that the first game where they had a skill where you eat skulls and use it repeatedly on the same character?

It is implied that Adell in D2 ate his sister and brother in one of the endings and the language versions differ in how noisily he ate them.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

ive only played la pucelle tactics and it was ok, grim grimoire looks fun tho

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
every time i think about Makai Kingdom i get super pissed because its such a trash game with so many cool things like shotguns and an entirely adult cast

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
also they never got the guy who did zetta's voice back to do any of zetta's other appearances in NIS games and it sounds like trash now

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
wish they made more games like soul nomad or makai kingdom and less like literally everything else they've ever made

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
makai kingdom's combat sucked and why are you playing a strategy rpg if not for the combat

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
the combat in makai kingdom was cool and had a lot of really neat mechanics, the problem was literally none of it is explained to you and lots of it requires you to luck your way into understanding it

also the bits where you get to set up your home base in whatever way you want and only play as created characters until post game is a cool idea

e: it had some kickass music too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJc8p4_I6fg

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 30, 2014

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
zettai hero project is a cool game

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Doctor Goat posted:

Shame the spiritual successor was loving bad.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Doctor Goat posted:

Gaben should buy NIS so everyone can play it.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

dude ive no idea who made tales of xilia but i bought it on some random sale cos wtf not and holy crap.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
its not possible.e

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i might trade in disgaea 3 for 4 today. i dont know what the trade in value is but 3 costs the same amount as 4 and i'm not playing multiple nis strategy games at a time

vita scaling looks really bad or it would own to get psp games on vita. disgaea 2 can't use any dlc if you buy it on there either

but like phantom brave is $10 on there and that's neat

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tales is a namco-bandai franchise

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
id like to politiely request that ppl plz dont think too badly of me for doing that. i had noooo fwiggin idea

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

tales is a namco-bandai franchise

ah, well, it soundsl ike it belongs here in spirit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tales's fanbase is mostly women actually

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i think senran kagura actually made other games less creepy

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Doctor Goat posted:

i might trade in disgaea 3 for 4 today. i dont know what the trade in value is but 3 costs the same amount as 4 and i'm not playing multiple nis strategy games at a time

vita scaling looks really bad or it would own to get psp games on vita. disgaea 2 can't use any dlc if you buy it on there either

but like phantom brave is $10 on there and that's neat

4 is a lot better than 3, largely due to valvatorez being a likable protagonist

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
*wheezing nerd voice* EXPERIMEEENT

god i hate mao

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

People say Mao is unlikeable but I think they missed that the game was intentionally playing a trick on everyone who thought Disgaea games should be more like 1. Either way the story in all of them is stupid so whatever.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Silver Striker posted:

People say Mao is unlikeable but I think they missed that the game was intentionally playing a trick on everyone who thought Disgaea games should be more like 1. Either way the story in all of them is stupid so whatever.

meta unbearable is still unbearable

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think mao is kinda funny

i mean the game overdoes the 'whats good is actually bad and whats bad is actually good! demons!!!' gag but Mao's rambling about superheroes is funny and the constant title changes for Almaz are kinda neat

the game should have been about the Diaz Gentlemen though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I played disgaea on PSP for a little bit because final fantasy tactics advance -esque games are hella sweet. too bad it had really bad ghosting when moving around. also psp was lame bc it made my eyes hurt if i played for like an hour

• Locked thread