Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the largest number?
View Results

• Locked thread
Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Doctor Goat posted:

meta unbearable is still unbearable

I don't think he is more unbearable than any other Disgaea character, honestly. 1 had a bunch of atrociously stupid characters and 2 was just sappy and dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i'm going to go pick up 4 today because its cheaper in store than online which is Good

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i can get like $20 each for pokemon x and fire emblem awakening should i do it

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Doctor Goat posted:

i'm going to go pick up 4 today because its cheaper in store than online which is Good

What store is this? That sounds like a good deal.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
at gamestop it's $30, online it's $40, on amazon it's $30 + shipping

lol:
-Using a Baciel with the "Youthful" personality will crash the game. This is only a problem in the english track as playing the game in Japanese does not crash the game when you use this certain Baciel personality. It seems to be a buggy sound file that presumably fails to be fetched, and crashes the game. (This is the major issue people are having.)
-According to some people, the game crashes when pirates invade (this is not mentioned enough for me to distinguish it as a "major" issue.)
-If you decide to delete a DLC character from your party the following message appears: "(Insert DLC character's name) is
if you watch the event again. on the initial level rejoin your party" This is garbled to all hell, but it is not gamebreaking in any way shape or form. It only seems to be a really bad forced translation.
-Sometimes a "H" will appear in textboxes for no apparent reason, again not gamebreaking, but noticeable when it happens, rare as it is.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I'll probably pick it up on Amazon then, thanks for the heads up. That "H" appearing glitch sounds epic as hell.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
also if you don't get the poll's joke you suck

disgaea 3 also cost me $30 which makes me cringe but it only trades in for $8 so i might see how much the local indie game store thing will pay

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i never saw the H and now i feel left out

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Countblanc posted:

i never saw the H and now i feel left out

it's not commhon probabhly

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Endorph posted:

tales's fanbase is mostly women actually

Also all the games are good with the exception being Tales of Legendia and Tales of Symphonia 2.

You have a 90% not crap ratio.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

Also all the games are good with the exception being Tales of Legendia and Tales of Symphonia 2.

Tales games are pretty bad, grandpa.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

tales of xilia is bar none the worst game ive ever played.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Silver Striker posted:

Tales games are pretty bad, grandpa.

How? they seem to have one of the better battle systems out there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

you didnt get probated for this but you deserved to be

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Yeah Tales of Xillia 1 and 2 were both decent games.

Now Ar Tonelico on the other hand...

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

How? they seem to have one of the better battle systems out there.

Insane number of missables, lots of annoying bullshit, awful stories even as far as jrpgs go, and recently some awful dungeon designs (F Arc in Tales of Graces is absolutely horrid).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i never realized that the Tales fanbase is mostly women, but i guess thinking back anyone i met irl who talked about it was a woman so thats cool

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i missed an Arte in tales of the abyss and stopped playing because that type of thing annoys me esp. when artes tend to branch out into more artes so i probably missed like half a dozen because i didn't talk to chucklefuck #24 in optionaltown

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Silver Striker posted:

Insane number of missables, lots of annoying bullshit, awful stories even as far as jrpgs go, and recently some awful dungeon designs (F Arc in Tales of Graces is absolutely horrid).

The missables didn't bother me because after I beat it, I realized you can buy all the missable poo poo with grade and get the trophy that way.

The cosmetic treasures and everything are around the entire game and never go away.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Doctor Goat posted:

i missed an Arte in tales of the abyss and stopped playing because that type of thing annoys me esp. when artes tend to branch out into more artes so i probably missed like half a dozen because i didn't talk to chucklefuck #24 in optionaltown

In certain Tales games there are missable Artes which are basically the only reasons to use that specific character. As in, without the Arte they are worthless. Tales has a nice action-y battle system but the games themselves are pretty bad and are only making extremely minor steps to get better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

i never realized that the Tales fanbase is mostly women, but i guess thinking back anyone i met irl who talked about it was a woman so thats cool

the popularity polls are always 90% the pretty boys, the guys get school uniform/swimsuit dlc too, etc

Silver Striker posted:

In certain Tales games there are missable Artes which are basically the only reasons to use that specific character. As in, without the Arte they are worthless. Tales has a nice action-y battle system but the games themselves are pretty bad and are only making extremely minor steps to get better.
I cant think of any cases like this. I mean the missable stuff in Abyss was dumb but they've dialed back on the missables by a lot (none of the recent games have had missable moves), and even in Abyss none of the missable moves were critical. They were just moves. Most of them weren't even that good.

I guess Graces made most of the mystic artes tied to sidequests, but they were all pretty obvious sidequests and you could do them at any time, they weren't permanently missable.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 30, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Endorph posted:

the popularity polls are always 90% the pretty boys, the guys get school uniform/swimsuit dlc too, etc

#3 looks badass

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

I cant think of any cases like this. I mean the missable stuff in Abyss was dumb but they've dialed back on the missables by a lot (none of the recent games have had missable moves), and even in Abyss none of the missable moves were critical. They were just moves. Most of them weren't even that good.

I guess Graces made most of the mystic artes tied to sidequests, but they were all pretty obvious sidequests and you could do them at any time, they weren't permanently missable.

Abyss was actually exactly what I was thinking of. It's admittedly been a while since I played but you already had really small movepools for characters relative to the rest of the series and there were missable Artes for a few (I think Natalia has the most obvious example of this) which were some of their absolute best moves.

I just think it's extremely stupid that Tales is given a free pass for all of this absurdly archaic game design that they only slightly improve upon as the decades roll by.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Endorph posted:

Yeah I agree with you, everything that was worthwhile and trophy related you could not miss at all.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

i heard the first xilia was bad but the 2nd one is supposed to be good

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Swelter Discharge posted:

i heard the first xilia was bad but the 2nd one is supposed to be good

The first one is basically an extremely unfinished game, the second is still unfinished but less so. Tales fans just have really low standards by now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver Striker posted:

I just think it's extremely stupid that Tales is given a free pass for all of this absurdly archaic game design that they only slightly improve upon as the decades roll by.
Like I said, they've dumped the missable sidequests almost entirely. In Graces and Xillia you could do the sidequest round-up as soon as you unlocked the final dungeon and not miss a thing, and in Xillia nothing really important was tied to sidequests anyway. That isn't 'slight improvement,' that's big improvement. Abyss was bad about it but that was the worst the series has ever been, both before and since.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Silver Striker posted:

Abyss was actually exactly what I was thinking of. It's admittedly been a while since I played but you already had really small movepools for characters relative to the rest of the series and there were missable Artes for a few (I think Natalia has the most obvious example of this) which were some of their absolute best moves.

Did you play Xillia 1 and 2 because they've improved a ton over Abyss.

Not only that but Tales getting a pass has nothing on MMos still being grind fests the way they are, and Pay to Win games like Candy Crush. Those are much worse than whatever Tales puts out.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Endorph posted:

Like I said, they've dumped the missable sidequests almost entirely. In Graces and Xillia you could do the sidequest round-up as soon as you unlocked the final dungeon and not miss a thing, and in Xillia nothing really important was tied to sidequests anyway. That isn't 'slight improvement,' that's big improvement. Abyss was bad about it but that was the worst the series has ever been, both before and since.

abyss was really bad

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

I'll take your word for it on sidequests and missables, but I still maintain that basically the rest of the games are bad. The battle system would be much better off in almost any other series, to be honest. At least we can agree Abyss is bad.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I'm glad to see people dislike Abyss because I've always thought it was a weak entry in an pretty weak series to begin with, but tons of people hold it up as some masterpiece and I never understood it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver Striker posted:

I'll take your word for it on sidequests and missables, but I still maintain that basically the rest of the games are bad. The battle system would be much better off in almost any other series, to be honest. At least we can agree Abyss is bad.
you're entitled to that opinion

also abyss is Good actually, though i agree the sidequests were extremely stupid and arbitrary. my favorite is the one where you spend ten hours running around the world trying to get these two random soldiers to hook up, and then the guy dies in the next cutscene.

i really like abyss's plot (yes i know) and the combat system is as fun as ever. it has a lot of problems though, the overworld runs at like 1 frame a second and the dungeon design can get pretty tedious.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Silver Striker posted:

You should play Xillia 1 and 2. Xillia is like disc 1 to an RPG and Xillia 2 is Disc 2 you can easily spend well over 60+ hours in total playing both.

The battle system is engaging because you can throw off different combos with button combinations and the item crafting isn't a pain in the rear end because you can send cats out to specific areas to collect the materials for you.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

You should play Xillia 1 and 2. Xillia is like disc 1 to an RPG and Xillia 2 is Disc 2 you can easily spend well over 60+ hours in total playing both.

The battle system is engaging because you can throw off different combos with button combinations and the item crafting isn't a pain in the rear end because you can send cats out to specific areas to collect the materials for you.

Xillia is bad. I have played it.

If I play Tales games nowadays I basically completely ignore all sidequests because I'm used to it being like Vesperia or any of the older ones where even if you do like 9/10ths of a sidequest by pure dumb luck you will miss the last part because you didn't sleep at some arbitrary inn like 5 loving times, then backtrack to the other side of the world, then do some other stupid thing before taking one step out of town.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Silver Striker posted:

Xillia is bad. I have played it.

If I play Tales games nowadays I basically completely ignore all sidequests because I'm used to it being like Vesperia or any of the older ones where even if you do like 9/10ths of a sidequest by pure dumb luck you will miss the last part because you didn't sleep at some arbitrary inn like 5 loving times, then backtrack to the other side of the world, then do some other stupid thing before taking one step out of town.

Xillia 2 is really good and it's worth it just to run through ignoring all the extra stuff in X1 to play Xillia 2.

Not only that you get a Milla and Judge plushie attachment that you can turn into one of those character backpacks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver Striker posted:

yeah the games aren't really like that anymore

Graces had a couple of complicated quests but the most complicated it got was

Girl: i want stuffed animals *shoves crafting recipes for stuffed animals in your pocket*

and then you crafted all the stuffed animals for her and that was that

and Xillia 2 literally had giant glowing signs for all its sidequests and a thing that told you exactly what to do next. it was also 90% sidequest

if you dont like tales games im not gonna try and change your mind but please stop posting Untrue Things

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Xillia 2 had all of the non-character sidequests on a quest board. And the Character quests were lit up on the location they associated with on the world map.

The questboard may change but it never gets rid of quests. Once you complete them they go away but that's it.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I traded pokemon x for disgaea 4 and drat the new sprites are good

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Doctor Goat posted:

I traded pokemon x for disgaea 4 and drat the new sprites are good

hope you like Sardines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Endorph posted:

To be fair, Yuri is a pretty good character in addition to being pretty.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 30, 2014

• Locked thread