Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to make lunch for my senpai. They like beef and protecting underclassmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Doesn't matter what you make he's still going to fall for Romantic Love Interest A

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Are you his childhood friend? If not don't bother.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 30, 2014

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Sindai posted:

Are you his childhood friend? If not don't bother.

Also if so don't bother

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe you could, ya know, give someone other than loving sempai a chance for once?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The key to a good bento is to pick food that still tastes good even after it cools down, since chances are by the time your buddy cracks the box open everything's going to be cold. Well unless you splurge and get some kind of thermal bento or skip class right before lunch to dash home and make something but details.

Bentos lose a lot of mystique when you realize they're basically just high effort Lunchables. There's a main dish, and then some sides. I guess if you want to make the perfect bento you'd balance nutrients, flavors, and textures, but that's silly. Both because any student worth their salt won't care as long as it's free and because you probably don't know nearly enough about food to pull that off anyways. So instead you're going to have to resort to... the stash.

Basically anybody who does any sort of arts and crafts hobby knows what I'm talking about here. Knitters keep a bunch of yarn at hand. Painters collect paints. Plamo aficionados build up backlogs. And aspiring bento chefs should keep a ton of leftovers. If you're the type to finish your plate, every time you make something, set aside a fourth of it before eating. How you decide to store the food is up to you, just make sure it's air-tight. Much more important is how they'll keep; preserved foods like pickles can last forever, but other things usually only stay nice for a week. And meat only lasts for 3-4 days. Another factor is what you're cooling. If the food is supposed to be moist (rice, rice, rice, oh my god rice), wrap it while it's still warm so you don't get something horribly dry. Meanwhile meats and veggies should be at room temperature before storage, lest moisture and ice build up on their surface. Soggy vegetables seriously suck, don't do that.

Once you have a decent stash going (and don't rush to fill it up, if you're planning on making a ton of bentos at once you should just sit down, make some full meals, and then divvy them up full), it just becomes a game of choice. Variety is the spice of life, so mix up your selections. One day it's meat and potatoes with a side of salad, soy sauce, and some kind of soup. The next it's fried rice with some cucumber, mushrooms, and I don't know imitation crab meat? Whatever floats your boat.

So with all of that said, your target likes beef? That's kind of a paradox, since beef is usually pretty pricey and bentos are supposed to be economical but oh well. Try stir fried beef, rice, some lettuce so they can roll up the beef if they want, and maybe some potatoes. Nikujaga is another nice option if you want to go full japanese.

oh you were joking, sorry

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

You could use rice

MrLamo2k1
Dec 11, 2003

The new sheriff in town
Francis has you covered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_hbPLsZvvo

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Someone assemble a "goon bento" using Doritos, Cheetos, nacho cheese dip, chocolate bars and Chef Boyardee, with Gatorade or Mountain Dew to drink.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

The key to a good bento is to pick food that still tastes good even after it cools down, since chances are by the time your buddy cracks the box open everything's going to be cold. Well unless you splurge and get some kind of thermal bento or skip class right before lunch to dash home and make something but details.

Bentos lose a lot of mystique when you realize they're basically just high effort Lunchables. There's a main dish, and then some sides. I guess if you want to make the perfect bento you'd balance nutrients, flavors, and textures, but that's silly. Both because any student worth their salt won't care as long as it's free and because you probably don't know nearly enough about food to pull that off anyways. So instead you're going to have to resort to... the stash.

Basically anybody who does any sort of arts and crafts hobby knows what I'm talking about here. Knitters keep a bunch of yarn at hand. Painters collect paints. Plamo aficionados build up backlogs. And aspiring bento chefs should keep a ton of leftovers. If you're the type to finish your plate, every time you make something, set aside a fourth of it before eating. How you decide to store the food is up to you, just make sure it's air-tight. Much more important is how they'll keep; preserved foods like pickles can last forever, but other things usually only stay nice for a week. And meat only lasts for 3-4 days. Another factor is what you're cooling. If the food is supposed to be moist (rice, rice, rice, oh my god rice), wrap it while it's still warm so you don't get something horribly dry. Meanwhile meats and veggies should be at room temperature before storage, lest moisture and ice build up on their surface. Soggy vegetables seriously suck, don't do that.

Once you have a decent stash going (and don't rush to fill it up, if you're planning on making a ton of bentos at once you should just sit down, make some full meals, and then divvy them up full), it just becomes a game of choice. Variety is the spice of life, so mix up your selections. One day it's meat and potatoes with a side of salad, soy sauce, and some kind of soup. The next it's fried rice with some cucumber, mushrooms, and I don't know imitation crab meat? Whatever floats your boat.

So with all of that said, your target likes beef? That's kind of a paradox, since beef is usually pretty pricey and bentos are supposed to be economical but oh well. Try stir fried beef, rice, some lettuce so they can roll up the beef if they want, and maybe some potatoes. Nikujaga is another nice option if you want to go full japanese.

This is amazing. I can't wait to finally make lunch for senpai.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Source your quotes

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Namtab posted:

Source your quotes

if you have a problem with that post, i'll fight you myself

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 30, 2014

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Eh, it doesn't particularly matter what you put IN the bento. Just make sure it isn't pinku (that's Japanese for pink) or any girl color. Also make sure it has 2 or more kotaba (that's Japanese for 2 compartments) and that it's chibi (small) sized. Most importantly, it has to be really kawaii (cute).

Also, make sure the gohan (rice) doesn't touch any other things (it can get wet and senpai wouldn't like that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

if you have a problem with that post

i have a problem with every post except the ones I make

• Locked thread