Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Ty The Tasmanian Tiger

Do you know what fair dinkum means? Dunny? What exactly is a "ripper"? Well, they're all Australian slang, firstly, but this is probably the only videogame to use them all! Ty The Tasmanian Tiger is a 3D platformer starring, well, a tasmanian tiger. It's Krome Studios' baby, and would go on to spawn a series of four games.

What kind of LP is this?

Video, post commentary, 100%. And that's a pretty hefty statement with this game. There are collectibles all over the place, and they're still well hidden enough to encourage exploration.

Why should I care?

Ty manages to set itself apart as a platformer for several reasons. It had superior graphics to the other games at the time, a very thick layer of Australian charm, and boomerangs. But less superficially, the environmental design is absolutely splendid. The worlds are big, but every single inch of space offers something new to see or collect, and there's a sense of wonder in discovering it all. On top of that, it's surprisingly difficult for an early PS2-era platformer.

Who made this game?

Krome Studios, most well known for the TY series. They also created Blade Kitten, based on a semi-popular webcomic, and Hellboy: The Science of Evil, an incredibly faithful beat em up based on the comic series.

But that's enough muckin' about, let's dig in. Just don't spoil anything.

1. Two Up

2. Walk in The Park

3. Ship Rex

Boss: Bull's Pen

4. Bridge On The River Ty

Glossary:

Fair Dinkum: Authentic, true, genuine. One of the most difficult, as its exact meaning depends on the context.
Ripper: A generally gleeful exclamation. Can often be interchanged with "fantastic/great/awesome" and similar expressions.
Struth/Strewth: An exclamation of surprise or shock, like "my goodness/my god".
Cobber: Pal/friend
Onya: Good on you/good job
Grouse: Wonderful/fantastic.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Lies. there is a fourth game

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Just realized I missed a single golden cog in the tutorial stage, which will be shown quickly in the next video.

Well how about that.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Ty seems to suffer from severe Sonic syndrome, where the developers couldn't figure out how to make his mouth switch sides and just stuck two on there.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pixeltendo posted:

Ty seems to suffer from severe Sonic syndrome, where the developers couldn't figure out how to make his mouth switch sides and just stuck two on there.

It's really beautiful. We have a dual cheekmouth.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I had this game for a while and enjoyed it, never played the sequels though. I'm looking forward to this after your Hellboy LP.

It helps that I have a soft spot for Australian fauna.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

I had this game for a while and enjoyed it, never played the sequels though. Looking forward to this after your Hellboy LP.

Krome is a really solid developer and I'm glad to show off their most famous series as best I can. I'll get to the sequels sometime too, but one hurdle at a time.

ProApocalyptic
Nov 19, 2013
That cockatoo man is adorable.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ProApocalyptic posted:

That cockatoo man is adorable.

"Maurie", I think is how it's spelled, and he's by far my favorite character. He's somewhat of a stereotype, but this game was made by Australians, so it's okay.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Ah, the most :australia: game I know, own and learnt new slang from. I'm an Aussie myself, but perhaps some of the slang's more of an eastern states thing.

Getting all the collectibles in this game is definitely a serious task, especially if you want the concept art. :sweatdrop: Seriously, best of luck with this.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Yapping Eevee posted:

Ah, the most :australia: game I know, own and learnt new slang from. I'm an Aussie myself, but perhaps some of the slang's more of an eastern states thing.

Getting all the collectibles in this game is definitely a serious task, especially if you want the concept art. :sweatdrop: Seriously, best of luck with this.

I will be collecting all the concept art too, god help me.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
For those wondering, the Bunyip is a large mythical creature from Aboriginal mythology said to lurk in bodies of freshwater throughout Australia. It's a rather weird creature say the least and I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if Mike Mignola put one in the Hellboy Universe somewhere.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 30, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Well how about that.

It's available for pc, too, since it's in the Windows App store.

And it is so, so bad...

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

For those wondering, the Bunyip is a large mythical creature from Aboriginal mythology said to lurk in bodies of freshwater throughout Australia. It's a rather weird creature say the least and I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if Mike Mignola put one in the Hellboy Universe somewhere.

There is some Hellboy fanfiction with a Bunyip in it, apparently. Does that count?

corn in the bible posted:

It's available for pc, too, since it's in the Windows App store.

And it is so, so bad...

How bad are we talkin'?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

There is some Hellboy fanfiction with a Bunyip in it, apparently. Does that count?

Close enough though I certainly would like to see how it would be depicted in Mike's style.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

This is an incredibly painful game to listen to, not because of you but because of what they say in game. I'm Australian myself.

Also no one calls them "rangs" ever. :argh:

Yapping Eevee posted:

I've never been out west, I just assumed everyone here knew the slang. I'm from Sydney and people trying to talk like they do in game is on the rise. It's also painful to be around them.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Ohh man. I'm pretty sure this was the first PS2 game I ever finished. I didn't 100% it, though, so I'm looking forward to seeing you do it!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

As this game is all about collecting things... are you gonna be collecting Aussie slang and its meaning and post it in the OP?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

mycelia posted:

Ohh man. I'm pretty sure this was the first PS2 game I ever finished. I didn't 100% it, though, so I'm looking forward to seeing you do it!

It was one of my earliest PS2 games as well.

Carbon dioxide posted:

As this game is all about collecting things... are you gonna be collecting Aussie slang and its meaning and post it in the OP?

I had actually considered that. And you know what? It sounds fun, so why not.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
My god that mouth... did they not think better of it at any point? At first I thought his head didn't change expression at all, just a permanent snarl of attitude.

And you Australians aren't fooling me. Everyone knows you make up slang to confuse foreigners.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

How bad are we talkin'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5E-71pt20Y

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Elfface posted:

My god that mouth... did they not think better of it at any point? At first I thought his head didn't change expression at all, just a permanent snarl of attitude.

And you Australians aren't fooling me. Everyone knows you make up slang to confuse foreigners.

For some reason he does seem to snarl a fair dinkum in the opening cutscene, and then suddenly it's revealed he's a pretty ripper guy. Struth.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Those sound effects are problematic.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
This looks neat, good job with the first video GamesAreSupernice. I used to work in a video rental place (remember those?) and we had one copy of this - I don't think anyone ever rented it. I might have bought it during our closing sale, now that I know it's pretty decent I might have to see if I can dig out my PS2 and give it a go.

I appreciate you doing a good job showing off the game because the only other one I knew about from this company / Australia was Blade Kitten, which...didn't look as good as this game, to say the least.

It seems like there used to be a number of good action platformers like this: Banjo & Kazooie, Sly Cooper, Jak & Daxter, etc. Now it seems like it's only Nintendo doing anything like this. What happened?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Shifting demographics really, platformers just fell out of favor and into decline when we got to the sixth generation consoles presumably because the market got saturated with platformers that didn't meet expectations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Plus you can't sell map-packs for a platformer.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah, first person shooters were becoming a thing as well.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 30, 2014

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

CatsPajamas posted:

This looks neat, good job with the first video GamesAreSupernice. I used to work in a video rental place (remember those?) and we had one copy of this - I don't think anyone ever rented it. I might have bought it during our closing sale, now that I know it's pretty decent I might have to see if I can dig out my PS2 and give it a go.

I appreciate you doing a good job showing off the game because the only other one I knew about from this company / Australia was Blade Kitten, which...didn't look as good as this game, to say the least.

It seems like there used to be a number of good action platformers like this: Banjo & Kazooie, Sly Cooper, Jak & Daxter, etc. Now it seems like it's only Nintendo doing anything like this. What happened?

Blade Kitten isn't as bad as it appears from a glance, but the cutscenes and dialogue could be much improved.

Another good game they've made is "Hellboy: Science of Evil", which is very well written and faithful to the Hellboy comics.

As for 3-D platformers, the Ratchet and Clank series got a few more entries on the PS3, which I found to be outstanding, and the PS4 got "Knack", which I refuse to believe is as terrible as I've been told.

Elfface posted:

Plus you can't sell map-packs for a platformer.

If I can disagree, that actually seems like it would be very possible.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 30, 2014

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

If I can disagree, that actually seems like it would be very possible.

It largely depends on how the game is structured. A closed in level based game like the first three Crash Bandicoots would probably have a harder time justifying this while a more open world game that relies on exploration like this game or Banjo Kazooie would have an easier time doing so which is why sandbox games tend to get DLC in the first place.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Blade Kitten sort of plays like a 2d Ty, actually. You also unlock playing as him if you get 100%.

They're working on an expansion pack for it, too.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

For some reason he does seem to snarl a fair dinkum in the opening cutscene, and then suddenly it's revealed he's a pretty ripper guy. Struth.

This hurt to read by the way.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

corn in the bible posted:

Blade Kitten sort of plays like a 2d Ty, actually. You also unlock playing as him if you get 100%.

They're working on an expansion pack for it, too.

I thought it wasn't so much an expansion pack as the game was originally just plain not finished on account of running out of money, and now they're actually putting in the last third or so of the game that got ditched.

As for me I'm looking forward to watching Syrg suffer through the rest of the plot.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Spudd posted:

This hurt to read by the way.

I'm pretty sure I used "fair dinkum" wrong, too.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Is it possible to be racist to Australians?

If so, this game may be racist to Australians.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Smells like Blade Kitten, sounds like an ear hemmorage.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It's possible to be racist to anybody. The question is, does it count when the dev is Australian?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Lemme tell you about these people called "Australian aboriginals", aka the guys who lived there before England decided it made a good dumping ground for her criminals.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

That depends on how you look at it. I figured they were just celebrating their culture in a way.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Buttass posted:

Lemme tell you about these people called "Australian aboriginals", aka the guys who lived there before England decided it made a good dumping ground for her criminals.

No no, I mean the REAL Australians y'know the ones who go crikey and dodger and that stuff

Aboriginals? Sounds like some weird indie band, I'm not interested in some didgeridoo hipster nonsense

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Steve Irwin is dead. Are there any REAL Australians left?

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Steve Irwin is dead. Are there any REAL Australians left?

His really annoying daughter?

EDIT: Without looking, the main character sounds like he is voiced by the person who does Blinky Bill. The whole voice acting cast sounds like it comes from Blinky Bill. Also they used 'coot' instead of the more correct 'oval office'. Game is ruined.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 2, 2014

• Locked thread