Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Steve Irwin is dead. Are there any REAL Australians left?

Don't you dare associate us with that guy. :mad:

Pictured: My feelings toward Steve Irwin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Lord Windy posted:

His really annoying daughter?

EDIT: Without looking, the main character sounds like he is voiced by the person who does Blinky Bill. The whole voice acting cast sounds like it comes from Blinky Bill. Also they used 'coot' instead of the more correct 'oval office'. Game is ruined.

I believe you mean Grub. with a T.

also coot is totally a word. For old guy aka codger.
Slang is weird.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Australian fauna is pretty minable for interesting character designs, I'll give 'em that. Kinda laughed at all Ty's relatives also having sidemouths.

I look forward to increasing amounts of ridiculous techno/spiritual boomerangs.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Glazius posted:

Australian fauna is pretty minable for interesting character designs, I'll give 'em that. Kinda laughed at all Ty's relatives also having sidemouths.

And they take full advantage of that, we haven't even met some of the funnier characters in this games. And ridiculous boomerangs there are a plenty.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Yapping Eevee posted:

Don't you dare associate us with that guy. :mad:

Pictured: My feelings toward Steve Irwin.

Enlighten us, please.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oh man, this is really neat! I loving loved this game when I was a kid, time to see if it will hold up to my memories. Hell, as I think about it I can remember all but one of the boomerangs you get in this game.

It almost certainly won't :negative:

e: well, so far I'm being proved wrong. :)

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 18, 2014

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Dr. Buttass posted:

Enlighten us, please.

Nah. This cool thread doesn't need me ranting. :c00l:
What it needs is a second video.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Glazius posted:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Just a by the by, the name "Quinkan" refers to an actual thing in Aboriginal culture. I don't know as much about this as I did about the Bunyip so if anyone know this topic better than I do, feel free to go into detail.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Post-Christmas, my friend. Just a bit busy, but I have the footage and the commentary/video itself will be finished soon.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Yapping Eevee posted:

No, seriously, as a man who respected Steve Irwin and what he was about I feel like I should know why what he was about was something that some people wouldn't respect.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
drat I'd completely forgotten this ever existed, and now seeing the game in action for the first time I regret deciding not to buy it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Wow, this game is like a perfect painful storm of :australia: and :furcry:

Talking of which, the art style in the cover and that CD soundtrack someone just posted looks exactly like the style of a furry artist I knew at high school. In retrospect, he probably played these games.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Don't judge the game on that, there is still some barrier between this one and Blade Kitten. As I recall though the sequels aren't as good, so it was a gradual thing (only played the second though, which sort of tried to go for a sandbox feel and didn't quite pull it off).

This game though, having gone through some videos, is actually pretty drat good. Not in the same league as your Banjo-Kazooies or what have you, but still a solid honourable mention in the whole mascot platformers genre.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

God this brings back some memories, I can't wait for the next video. Hmmm I still have my old PS2, I wonder if the swap meet might have a copy...

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Ty on GBA was my first own game ever. It was the best even if I couldn§t understand anything :3:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It's finally time for part two, in which we explore the rain-forest.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I agree that Ty handles the "do this thing and you'll get X collectible" writing quite well especially since it gives the idea that Ty has known these people for years even though the player obviously just met them.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

I agree that Ty handles the "do this thing and you'll get X collectible" writing quite well especially since it gives the idea that Ty has known these people for years even though the player obviously just met them.

The second game focuses a lot more meaningfully on character interactions, but it's still pleasant that the first game diverts the trope of having to convince the characters to give up their collectibles.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Those disgusting flowers are called Rafflesia and are a kind of parasitic flowering plant found throughout southeast Asia and along the chain of islands that stretches down to 'straya. They produce some of the largest flowers in the world and are pollinated not by bees, but by flies which is why they both look and smell like rotting flesh. Also worth noting that one species of Rafflesia has even lost the Chloroplast gene entirely thanks to their parasitic lifestyle which came as somewhat of a shock to biologists because it was thought that land plants without Chloroplast weren't actually a thing that could happen.

As far as I am aware they're not particularly common in Australia, though I think we do get some up in parts of Queensland where its all jungley.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Neruz posted:

Those disgusting flowers are called Rafflesia and are a kind of parasitic flowering plant found throughout southeast Asia and along the chain of islands that stretches down to 'straya. They produce some of the largest flowers in the world and are pollinated not by bees, but by flies which is why they both look and smell like rotting flesh. Also worth noting that one species of Rafflesia has even lost the Chloroplast gene entirely thanks to their parasitic lifestyle which came as somewhat of a shock to biologists because it was thought that land plants without Chloroplast weren't actually a thing that could happen.

As far as I am aware they're not particularly common in Australia, though I think we do get some up in parts of Queensland where its all jungley.

Good to know they're exactly as gross as I expected them to be.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Good to know this LP is still going strong: like I said, I am super enjoying this trip down memory lane and this is the best LP of this game I could find by a country mile or ten.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ManlyGrunting posted:

Good to know this LP is still going strong: like I said, I am super enjoying this trip down memory lane and this is the best LP of this game I could find by a country mile or ten.

I'm really glad you're enjoying the LP! I think there is another 100% LP by some guy named "ScottishDuck17", but I haven't actually seen his videos.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Glazius posted:

Hopefully we'll get some mythical\dreamtime fauna too, some of those critters were bloody insane even by the standards of the continent that gave us the platypus.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There's an awesome 3D zoetrope of the Ty characters at a museum of cinema/media in Melbourne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt1WNt4fDO8

This is the best video I can find. Unfortunately the framerate of the video doesn't exactly sync up with the strobe effect. But you get the idea. It's really cool to see in person.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Neruz posted:

Hopefully we'll get some mythical\dreamtime fauna too, some of those critters were bloody insane even by the standards of the continent that gave us the platypus.

We do get at least two in the form of the aforementioned Bunyip and Quinkan though I don't know if any others show up as well. Even if they don't, it'd still be a topic worth discussion since they're aren't a lot of threads were Aboriginal lore is talked about.

Also, funny you should mention the platypus...

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

There's an awesome 3D zoetrope of the Ty characters at a museum of cinema/media in Melbourne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt1WNt4fDO8

This is the best video I can find. Unfortunately the framerate of the video doesn't exactly sync up with the strobe effect. But you get the idea. It's really cool to see in person.

It took me a second to realize it was Rex at the top, but that is legitimately wonderful.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 3, 2015

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Waaaaait, is the voice of the tutorial bird the same VA as Dickson in Xenoblade, because that greatly amuses me.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Ometeotl posted:

Waaaaait, is the voice of the tutorial bird the same VA as Dickson in Xenoblade, because that greatly amuses me.

As near as I can make out, Anthony May and Terry Gill are separate people. That doesn't mean, definitively, that they aren't the same person, it just makes the possibility more slim.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Chimera-gui posted:

Also, funny you should mention the platypus...

I honestly don't understand how anyone can attribute the platypus to an intelligent designer. I mean what the crap even is that thing and of course its poisonous why wouldn't it be poisonous. Thanks Australia.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

There's something kinda humbling about seeing something that was near impossible as a kid (that bastard turkey :argh:) get taken down in about 30 seconds.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ShootaBoy posted:

There's something kinda humbling about seeing something that was near impossible as a kid (that bastard turkey :argh:) get taken down in about 30 seconds.

I'm sure that everyone who's played Ty has very fond memories of that bastard turkey.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Neruz posted:

I honestly don't understand how anyone can attribute the platypus to an intelligent designer. I mean what the crap even is that thing and of course its poisonous why wouldn't it be poisonous. Thanks Australia.

it's venomous, you idiot.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 4, 2015

Notm
Dec 30, 2012

The one Australian guy
Fun fact about Ty The Tasmanian Tiger LP's: none of them have been done by an Australian commentator.

Don't believe me? Go onto YouTube and search through them all. I have never heard this game being commentated over by someone from the actual country in which the game takes place.

As someone who lives in Sydney, I can tell you that most of the game takes place in the outback (more specifically areas of the Northern Territory and northern parts of Queensland. The developers might not have known about the wildlife and plantlife, but most of what is seen in the first few levels is actually pretty accurate. There are a few exceptions that will be seen in later levels.

This game's fun to play, especially with a big group of people that know nothing about Australia.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Neruz posted:

Oh look. Exactly the same thing everyone in the history of observational humor has said on the topic of the platypus, ever.

God, you're so clever.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Notm posted:

Fun fact about Ty The Tasmanian Tiger LP's: none of them have been done by an Australian commentator.

We're an incredibly lazy people.

Notm posted:

As someone who lives in Sydney, I can tell you that most of the game takes place in the outback (more specifically areas of the Northern Territory and northern parts of Queensland. The developers might not have known about the wildlife and plantlife, but most of what is seen in the first few levels is actually pretty accurate. There are a few exceptions that will be seen in later levels.

1) Get out of my city
2) I look forward to seeing these exceptions

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Glad this LP isn't dead.

Spudd posted:

1) Get out of my city

Only one goon can live in this city at a time?

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

Glad this LP isn't dead.

Only one goon can live in this city at a time?

Well yeah, haven't you ever watched Highlander? Goons basically work the same way.

VV The latter, obviously. We're basically really lame immortals.

Hammurabi fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 5, 2015

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hammurabi posted:

Well yeah, haven't you ever watched Highlander? Goons basically work the same way.

But on a city by city basis, as opposed to the entire planet? Or are we just really lazy and terrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notm
Dec 30, 2012

The one Australian guy

GamesAreSupernice posted:

But on a city by city basis, as opposed to the entire planet? Or are we just really lazy and terrible?

I'll answer that question with another question:

How well do you think a goon meet up would go in Sydney?

If your answer was "terribly", you win!

• Locked thread