Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Notm posted:

I'll answer that question with another question:

How well do you think a goon meet up would go in Sydney?

If your answer was "terribly", you win!

This is correct, but we also just like telling people to get out of my X. It's an Aussie thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I live in Sydney and I never want to meet any of you fuckers irl so stay away

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Good thing I'm over on the west coast, so I don't have to worry about any of these lame Sydney goons. :v: Also, I'm fairly certain that goons meeting face to face is on the list of 'worst possible ideas'. Somewhere near the top.

On an actual game-related topic, this one's aged pretty darn well visually. I know the comment about cartoonish versus hyper-realistic visuals and which ages best has been made time and time again, but still.

Dr. Buttass posted:

Oh look. Exactly the same thing everyone in the history of observational humor has said on the topic of the platypus, ever.

God, you're so clever.

Just because the point's been made before doesn't make it any less true. (Though yes, lots of people use poisonous when they mean venomous. It's just one of those things.)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Good thing I'm over on the west coast, so I don't have to worry about any of these lame Sydney goons. :v: Also, I'm fairly certain that goons meeting face to face is on the list of 'worst possible ideas'. Somewhere near the top.

On an actual game-related topic, this one's aged pretty darn well visually. I know the comment about cartoonish versus hyper-realistic visuals and which ages best has been made time and time again, but still.

Just because the point's been made before doesn't make it any less true. (Though yes, lots of people use poisonous when they mean venomous. It's just one of those things.)

It helps that they made the character models as simplistic as possible. I mean, they're nearly textureless.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Yapping Eevee posted:

Just because it's been said before, I've even said it myself in a different thread, doesn't make it any less true. Cartoony games do generally age better than realistic ones as the former can hide the graphical limitations of the hardware better than the latter.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 5, 2015

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Yapping Eevee posted:

No, seriously, "The platypus is proof against intelligent design" is the "he was in a coma the whole time" of wildlife. It is the least original, least funny, least meaningful thing you could possibly say. People have been saying it literally since non-Australians were made aware it was a thing. That's not just beating a dead horse, that's beating the same dead horse without pause for a couple of centuries. If I sat down to think about it for the same amount of time I couldn't come up with something more tiresome. Also, you're making the platypi feel bad, and they don't deserve that, for they are rad little dudes.

I don't care about people saying "poisonous" when they should say "venomous". Sure it's a common mistake, but at least that's regular old ignorance.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Dr. Buttass posted:

Also, you're making the platypi feel bad, and they don't deserve that, for they are rad little dudes.
Platypodes are indeed rad little dudes. I'm fairly sure we'll get to see a bunch of them in this game, if I recall correctly.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Glossary:
[...]
Heaps: Lots/a lot
Heaps is obscure enough to count as Australian slang? Huh.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Yapping Eevee posted:

Platypodes are indeed rad little dudes. I'm fairly sure we'll get to see a bunch of them in this game, if I recall correctly.

Heaps is obscure enough to count as Australian slang? Huh.

It's debatable, but I've never heard the word "heaps" used un-ironically once outside of Australia.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Ah, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger. Its one of the few franchises that really managed to hook my mother into gaming for some reason, the other stuff tending to be either Harry Potter, or the Lego games. I have fond memories of it, having played all three of the main games (and the GBA version of Ty 3), though looking back with older eyes its... not impossible to see the flaws. 2 is like the archetypal open world platformer of the mid-2000s, though I'm suppose that's getting ahead of myself a bit.

The development of the series has kind of an interesting history. It was part of a very deliberate effort to create an Australian game icon, which is why the game has such a distinctive character about it. In particular, they were hoping to compete with other major animal mascots in the industry, particularly Sonic the Hedgehog, Spyro, and Crash Bandicoot, the latter two having pretty much been born out of the 3D platformer genre and all. They even admitted as much in their advertising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxzhEJG7_6w

Edit: Also, I can guarantee that people in the UK at least will say 'heaps'. As in, heaps of trouble. Commonwealth thing maybe?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I love Ty's ridiculous side mouth that is clearly present on both sides of his face.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Dr. Buttass posted:

No, seriously, "The platypus is proof against intelligent design" is the "he was in a coma the whole time" of wildlife. It is the least original, least funny, least meaningful thing you could possibly say. People have been saying it literally since non-Australians were made aware it was a thing. That's not just beating a dead horse, that's beating the same dead horse without pause for a couple of centuries. If I sat down to think about it for the same amount of time I couldn't come up with something more tiresome. Also, you're making the platypi feel bad, and they don't deserve that, for they are rad little dudes.

I don't care about people saying "poisonous" when they should say "venomous". Sure it's a common mistake, but at least that's regular old ignorance.

So how about airplane food? Isn't it funny that women leave the toilet seat down when they pee?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Astro Nut posted:

Edit: Also, I can guarantee that people in the UK at least will say 'heaps'. As in, heaps of trouble. Commonwealth thing maybe?

How about "heaps good"? As in, "this game is heaps good."

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Tiggum posted:

How about "heaps good"? As in, "this game is heaps good."

This game is heaps good though looking forward to the next vid.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Chimera-gui posted:

I agree that Ty handles the "do this thing and you'll get X collectible" writing quite well especially since it gives the idea that Ty has known these people for years even though the player obviously just met them.

I really like that it seems to be more "do this thing" and the collectible just comes in at the end. I mean, as a player of games we know the score here, but Ty's not really a mercenary little fella.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Glazius posted:

I really like that it seems to be more "do this thing" and the collectible just comes in at the end. I mean, as a player of games we know the score here, but Ty's not really a mercenary little fella.

I think another aspect that helps is that many of the collectibles have a relatively quick, tangible benefit, whilst not being 'currency'. So there's no way of simply grinding for opals, thunder eggs or golden cogs, but you'll still want to get them because opals lead to thunder eggs and thunder eggs leads to progressing through the game, whilst golden cogs give you boomerangs substantially more useful than your base pair.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Why did the third game in the series got such a scattered release, with versions for some platforms appearing only in certain regions?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Glazius posted:

I mean, as a player of games we know the score here, but Ty's not really a mercenary little fella.

I feel like the writers had the bolded part of this comment in mind when they wrote the missons. Like they knew that the people playing this were already familiar with how platformer collection worked thus didn't need to be told what Ty would be rewarded with for doing tasks ahead of time as the players would already know what the reward would be.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 1, 2015

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The writers/designers definitely had pre-established 3D platforming tropes in mind while creating Ty, that much is inarguable.

SelenicMartian posted:

Why did the third game in the series got such a scattered release, with versions for some platforms appearing only in certain regions?

I couldn't tell you, but a lot of sixth generation games seem to suffer that fate. Unfortunately, the only other game that comes to mind right now is Hello Kitty Roller Rescue.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

If I had to make a guess, it probably had to do with Activision taking over as publisher, since that would affect distribution rights and agreements with the console manufacturers. Now, why that resulted in Australia and Europe only getting one console version each, and one of those getting it on the console that was not the single largest selling of all history, and on which the games had sold most in general, I have no freaking clue. Maybe they somehow thought the 360's initial success meant that it could sell well enough due to backwards compatibility or something? Honestly, just kinda baffling, since I know my family ordered it online well after the fact.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Apologies to all for the wait. Thread's not dead (and it's not gonna die), I've just been lazy/trying to figure out the best path to take during the next stage/polishing off my backlog of other recordings.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

I don't know, but drat is Ty 3 not a good game.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I don't suppose you can elaborate? I never played it myself. Though a few videos seem to point to it being a key part of the Deviantartification of Krome Studios.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ManlyGrunting posted:

I don't suppose you can elaborate? I never played it myself. Though a few videos seem to point to it being a key part of the Deviantartification of Krome Studios.

The Ty series went through a lot of change, to say the least. I would personally consider 2 to be the high point, since the game is absolutely enormous and has better production values/dialogue.

Ty 3 is far more heavily action focused and reminds a bit of Krome's later work with the Spyro series, in that it is inspired in part by traditional beat em ups.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ManlyGrunting posted:

Apart from the silly Deviantart character designs, it adds enemies with lots of HP -- something the earlier games avoided -- and expects you to just hit them over and over until they fall down. It adds nothing that fans of the series would actually want, and just makes levels which would otherwise be fast-paced a huge drag instead.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

Apart from the silly Deviantart character designs, it adds enemies with lots of HP -- something the earlier games avoided -- and expects you to just hit them over and over until they fall down. It adds nothing that fans of the series would actually want, and just makes levels which would otherwise be fast-paced a huge drag instead.

This is also accurate, and what many people complained about in the first of Krome's Spyro games. That being said, they got far better with the sequels.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

We finally head into the third level, where Ty climbs the peaceful and serene Danger Spike.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
And once again, the game's writing does a good job of introducing a well known platformer mechanic while also establishing another one of Ty's buddies.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

And once again, the game's writing does a good job of introducing a well known platformer mechanic while also establishing another one of Ty's buddies.

The game's writing also makes it seem like TY's world is rather friendly compared to a lot of other 3d platformers. It's very odd to transition from, say, Banjo Kazooie, to this.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

GamesAreSupernice posted:

The game's writing also makes it seem like TY's world is rather friendly compared to a lot of other 3d platformers. It's very odd to transition from, say, Banjo Kazooie, to this.

Now that you mention it, the only hostile beings in the game are enemies be they Cass' minions like the Frills and Blue Tongues or the more natural enemies like the sharks and leeches.

Ty's buddies are very friendly towards us and even the characters we aren't technically friends with like the leafy seadragon mother are at least grateful when we help them.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The game is one big "come to Australia, our wildlife is (mostly*) friendly**" advert.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

The game is one big "come to Australia, our wildlife is (mostly*) friendly**" advert.

They have nice boobs, too.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I don't know why but the air gauge being a bubble paw is just really cute to me.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Zain posted:

I don't know why but the air gauge being a bubble paw is just really cute to me.

I was expecting the 3 small bubbles on the paw to grow smaller\pop one by one and then the main one which would have looked way cooler than the clock fade, but ah well.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

That ending was great.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Spudd posted:

That ending was great.

"Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I remember this game being hard as hell when I was a kid. So seeing it being pretty well clowned now is humbling. Keep it up! :v: also I live on the US' East Coast and we totally say 'heaps.' Maybe not as much as 'tons' or 'lots' but it would not raise eyebrows.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Danger point. Just past Killer shark reef.

Australia.txt

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Veloxyll posted:

Danger point. Just past Killer shark reef.

Australia.txt
"Professor, are we even allowed in the Forbidden Zone?"
"Why of course. It's just a name, like the Death Zone, or the Zone of No Return. All the zones have names like that in the Galaxy of Terror."

Spudd posted:

That ending was great.
The Multirang is the most magical goddamn thing. :allears: I'm glad that GamesAreSupernice knows exactly how it should be used.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 3, 2015

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Bogart posted:

I remember this game being hard as hell when I was a kid. So seeing it being pretty well clowned now is humbling. Keep it up! :v: also I live on the US' East Coast and we totally say 'heaps.' Maybe not as much as 'tons' or 'lots' but it would not raise eyebrows.

Opinion seems fairly split as to whether the game was very easy or hard as hell. If you factor exploration into the difficulty, I would say the latter.

Glossary has been edited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

How would you compare the swimming in this game to the other best swimming in any 3D game ever, Zora mode in Majora's mask?

• Locked thread