Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deftest
May 7, 2011
My modem has a tendency to drop the connection every once in a while. It doesn't happen often or for very long... But this afternoon it cut out while I was working. So when restarting the modem didn't work, I called my ISP.

At some point during the phone call, the internet returned to me. However, I was kept on the line by ISP's agent who was explaining that I had some sort of malware problem and my connection was not "secure".

After a lot of run-around, I decided he was trying to sell me something and said goodbye. Basically, he was telling me that by looking at my IP address, it seemed the "amount of internet I was using" was indicative of malware "inside of my network". That my Microsoft Security Essentials running on my main desktop was insufficient... That the problem wasn't necessarily on my machine, but in fact INSIDE of my network. When I asked why, if that was the case, could he not just reset the network on his end to clear any sort of cached malware since it didn't have a home on my machine... he offered to buy Sonic Wall on my behalf. That sounded like they were planning on buying it and then charging me for it.

Does this make sense to you? My networking knowledge is relatively elementary... but some of the things he told me didn't sound right. What do you think?

THANK YOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It sounds like the rep heard you mention you were using the connection for work and tried to upsell you to a business-class connection. A SonicWall is a real hardware firewall box normally used by businesses.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Alereon posted:

It sounds like the rep heard you mention you were using the connection for work and tried to upsell you to a business-class connection. A SonicWall is a real hardware firewall box normally used by businesses.

Strange...

He didn't try to up my service, though (I have the maximum speed they offer). He was trying to convince me to buy that device (specifically referencing bestbuy.com)

Is there a particular reason I would want one? His claim was that because I didn't have one, I was doomed to periodically be booted from my service and only ever have ~60% of my subscribed-for speed

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
No, I can't think of a reason you would need something like that. It doesn't do any magic on your 'network', it's just a more sophisticated firewall appliance. I doubt you would ever use the features it provides, unless you are in fact a 50 man company, or hosting numerous co-located servers. While it's possible your router could have become infected with malware of some sort, it's unlikely. Without him being more specific on the kinds of traffic, or what specific malware he thinks you have, it's likely just a bullshit line to upsell business internet services.

deftest
May 7, 2011
These are the explanations I needed

Thank you!

• Locked thread