Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdsuYHtth8k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

spooks

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I'm not going to watch. Not out of disrespect to the OP, but because I'm afraid.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I don't do well with spooks, sorry OP

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

archerb
Mar 3, 2005
the time when tghe bear freddy loojked at me and jumped on me was scary.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
all of doom 3, imo

I am not a brave man

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
some moments early on in cryostasis are pretty gnarly

bloodsuckers in stalker can manage to create some pretty tense moments depending on how they're encountered

archerb
Mar 3, 2005

how can anyone look at this... thing... and NOT be terrorfried... drat internet tough guys, the bloody well lot of them.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
that one splicer in bioshock who appears behind you when you pick up an item in a freezer scared the poo poo out of me but i have chronic anxiety now so most things scare me

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
in undying it was scary how much rear end the scythe kicked

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

Taken completely out of context
The only time I was freaked out in Dead Space was the door slamming in your face.

Maybe it helped that it didn't have an orchestral sting telegraphing it like everything else in the game.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i got oneshot by an invincible enemy in re6 once and every time i go through that area i am extremely careful even though they almost NEVER use that attack and usually do an old man slap instead

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

some moments early on in cryostasis are pretty gnarly

bloodsuckers in stalker can manage to create some pretty tense moments depending on how they're encountered

the bloodsucker village and x-18 always manage to instill me with cheek-clenching fear without fail.

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5_mS3sW4II

This scene's scary because it makes you think your game is loving up

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

BoredDG posted:

It made me think my graphics card was dying.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

BoredDG posted:

I remember reading some people just turned their game off at that point and thought their copy was defective.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
eternal darkness did the 'game loving up' thing really well, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXcajQnasc&t=138s

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
came here to post eternal darkness

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

the mutant zombie things from system shock 2... i still haven't played the game since i encountered them

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Silver Striker posted:

I remember reading some people just turned their game off at that point and thought their copy was defective.

The game messing up bit only lasts like five seconds. Are there seriously people who don't wait 5 seconds to see what is going on

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The first time I saw these I thought they were rocks and didn't realize they were enemies. I hit them with the slingshot and they didn't move or react so I thought it was safe until they got up and froze me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU21AG8HWhk

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

when i was a kid and played paper mario, the part where tubba blubba wakes up and chases you out of his castle scared the hell out of me

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

When I was a kid I played Hexen and I was terrified of the monsters being able to respawn so I hid in the alcoves the stained glass windows covered.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

But, to this day, I still remember punching the orc dudes was one of the greatest virtual punching experiences of my life.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Wormskull posted:

But, to this day, I still remember punching the orc dudes was one of the greatest virtual punching experiences of my life.

The triple punch is extremely satisfying and I think you can do it in Doom using Samsara, as well as playing as the Quake guy.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

when I was little, I was scared of Tekken. I think the 3D models or the polygons frisked me out or something. one night, by dad pulled me out of bed and carried me over to the playstation. he trapped me in his arms and forced me to watch him play Tekken. it was the spookiest day

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

oh i just remembered. when i watched my cousin play super mario 64 for the first time and he got to king bob-omb, i'm pretty sure i hid behind a couch. seeing a video game bad guy in 3d was too much for 3 or 4 year old me.

also unrelated but i'm just now realizing i was like 3 when mario 64 came out and thats weirding me out. i can't believe i'm a baby

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

sharrrk posted:

oh i just remembered. when i watched my cousin play super mario 64 for the first time and he got to king bob-omb, i'm pretty sure i hid behind a couch. seeing a video game bad guy in 3d was too much for 3 or 4 year old me.

also unrelated but i'm just now realizing i was like 3 when mario 64 came out and thats weirding me out. i can't believe i'm a baby

christ this makes me feel old

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I was scared of Donkey Kong because when I said there was Hairy Holes on the ground when my cousin was playing it in front of his girlfriend he beat me with action figures after she left.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I was scared of donky kong because of the game over screen in country

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

eternal darkness did the 'game loving up' thing really well, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXcajQnasc&t=138s

this made me rush across the room to my gamecube to turn it off and then almost immediately realizing my mistake

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

I was scared of donky kong because of the game over screen in country

That was definitely a scary game over screen. i saw it a lot.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
soda popinski's victory laugh scared the hell out of me as a kid

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

darealkooky posted:

came here to post eternal darkness

The horror!

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014