Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
I can only afford to replace one atm, I have no spares to test with.

Problem description:I was playing a game and I heard a pop and computer just shuts down, Hitting the power switch makes the fans and LEDs briefly turn on ( for less then a second ), pressing the power switch again will do nothing, until the rocker switch on the PSU is turned on then off. No burnt electronics smell during all this

Attempted fixes:Originally I thought it was the PSU so I bought a new one, same thing as above, I start removing components till something different happens, GPU, HDD, RAM. nothing until by chance I forget to plug the 8 pin connector near the CPU in it will now power on and stay on but will not POST, powering down plugging the 8pin back in and trying to boot will again cause the fans and LEDS to just barely turn on and then nothing till the rocker switch is cycled again. I tried this again after removing the MB from the case and onto a sheet of cardboard in case it was shorting in the case someplace with same results.

Recent changes:I added a 2TB Sata HDD but doubt that was the cause

--

Operating system:Windows 7 64-bit

System specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
MB: MSI 870A-G54
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R585OC-1GD Radeon HD 5850
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1600mhz and G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1066mhz
PSU: Original one was a Corsair 750watt, replacement was a Corsair 500watt
HDD: 2x old IDE HDDs , one is 20gb and the other is 250gb I think, and 2x Sata HDD 1TB and 2 TB

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Shuffle fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PPills
Oct 5, 2004
CPUs are usually extremely reliable (if you don't overclock them). Check for any scorched or damaged capacitors on your motherboard.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

PPills posted:

CPUs are usually extremely reliable (if you don't overclock them). Check for any scorched or damaged capacitors on your motherboard.

The tops of capacitors should be flat, or indented slightly. If any of them are bulging outwards, burnt, discolored, or leaking then you've found your problem. The good news is that if you know how to use a soldering iron you can buy replacement caps for a few bucks.

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 1, 2014

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
I've checked all the capacitors none look to be damaged I see no scorch marks anywhere I checked the cpu and nothing look different then when I built it in 2011. I've never overclocked anything on here

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could try different RAM or another GPU if you have them around but it does sound like the motherboard is dead if you've removed most of the components and removed it from the case and it still won't POST.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
From what you've said, I would say it's unlikely the CPU. If that pop you heard did have something to do with the malfunction, it's likely the motherboard or graphics card, but the only way you'll know is to test the parts with spares, no real magic we can provide to get around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Skandranon posted:

From what you've said, I would say it's unlikely the CPU. If that pop you heard did have something to do with the malfunction, it's likely the motherboard or graphics card, but the only way you'll know is to test the parts with spares, no real magic we can provide to get around that.

thanks

• Locked thread