Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Merry Christmas, all you goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Got the Paranoia bundle. Confirming that I have received my Computer-allotted allowance of seasonal cheer.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
Merry Christmas to all and to all a Grog night.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

MelvinBison posted:

Merry Crit-mas to us all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Merry Christmas and a big hearty thank you to all of you for making my first true year in this hobby a great time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Got Battlestations, Doomtown Reloaded, Elder Sign, and the collected D&D Fell's Five comic with 4e mini-adventures in back.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i got four different cheap pocketknives from different relatives

i didn't even need a pocketknife to begin with :v:

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
My parents got me a copy of Say Bye to the Villains (the card game by Seiji Kanai) because it was on my Amazon wish list, and a friend of mine got me a Noteboard, which'll be really cool whenever I have a use for it. I'll probably get some more tabletop goodies whenever I'm able to hang out with my other tabletop friends. Oh, and I got a boxed set of the first four Choose Your Own Adventure books, since I want to understand the medium better and get into making gamebooks and Twine games a bit, though early CYOA has a lot of weird acid trip stuff.

I had a pretty weird year overall, and I'm all ready for 2015.

So yeah. A belated Merry Christmas guys. :)

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
For me, 2014 was the year of buying everything I lost / sold in a long spiral down to homelessness while I was in college.

Holy poo poo was some of it expensive. Between Avalon Hill's Dune, planescape boxed sets, 7th Sea, L5R, Shadowrun, CoC, and old (and new) d&d, I had to have spent around 10k this year on traditional gaming stuff.

It is amazing to be in a spot to do stuff like this after fighting for so long to find food to eat. Now I'm here at the end of a PhD program, directing an online bachelors program, and have generally found a really happy life.

I even started to get back into design after not having done any games writing since like 2001. It is amazing how much everything has changed.

One thing I am interested in in 2015 are games like Dog Eat Dog. In much the same way as video game design is fighting with academia, pen and paper games are in a super strange way with academia. I am really anxious to see what happens this year.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Among other things, I received a random dungeon generation deck and two decks of creature cards for Dungeon World.

Yes yes, I get the hint.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So this is what I'm doing tomorrow.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Are you running the unrated director's cut of that Silver Princess?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

Are you running the unrated director's cut of that Silver Princess?
No, that one is a lot harder to grab and go, which is the point. It left a bunch of rooms as, "dunno, make poo poo up" which is not what I'm looking for, this time.

That copy of Moldvay Basic is, btw, the book that set me on this life of nerdery back in '82 or '83.

e: And this is a wacky loving dungeon, y'all. My favorite part is the deadly pit/fire trap between the schoolroom and the library for no reason. Seems like a bad idea.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 27, 2014

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Hey, is there a Mutants and Masterminds thread anywhere? I've got 'how do I do this' questions and I don't see a place to ask.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
PuttyKnife, have you told your story somewhere? Downward spiral to homelessness plus having the money to afford $10,000 on gaming in one year sounds like a pretty interesting tale.

Also I enjoyed reading this Ethan Gilsdorf 5th Edition piece and seeing that 4th Edition will apparently always be remembered by history as "the video-game one."

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Quarex posted:

PuttyKnife, have you told your story somewhere? Downward spiral to homelessness plus having the money to afford $10,000 on gaming in one year sounds like a pretty interesting tale.

Also I enjoyed reading this Ethan Gilsdorf 5th Edition piece and seeing that 4th Edition will apparently always be remembered by history as "the video-game one."
I was so close to grogposting that article. I'm really glad 5e is doing so well, though.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Quarex posted:

Maybe in a few years once i finish my dissertation i'll go back and write a "coming of age" tale. Most of this began on 9/11/2001 and hit rock bottom around 2005/6.

It's a pretty e/n tale filled with a crack addicted, pregnant girlfriend; high stakes bookstore thefts; stealing food to live; sneaking showers in at the student health center or apartments that were being cleaned; and pretty well leaving all leisure pursuits behind in order to try and get through classes.

By 2010 I was in the process of finishing my bachelors. By 2014, I was on my way to finishing my PhD and had basically achieved more than my parents had together. It felt pretty great though a lot of that emotional stuff has stuck around.

There was a particular New Year's where I decided to pay :10bux: (I had stolen from an unlocked coke machine and put into my bank account in order to dodge an overdraft fee) to register for SA. I wanted to learn more about how to be a normal person again so I basically paid to read the "You Look Like poo poo" forum (odd in retrospect). At that point, I had basically devolved to like 2 pairs of shorts and 3 plain shirts.

I'm almost sad I never got in to drugs but i really never had money to so I guess that's great. Ah, memories!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Swags posted:

Hey, is there a Mutants and Masterminds thread anywhere? I've got 'how do I do this' questions and I don't see a place to ask.

Not that I'm aware of, but I can probably answer any questions you have.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
This exists.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

That seems a bit...out of genre. Is that good or bad that it exists?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

I can only get so erect!

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Not that I'm aware of, but I can probably answer any questions you have.

A friend of mine is playing in the Heirs of the Atom living campaign in Denver in a few months, and wanted to make a dude. Neither of us have played since 1st ed, and we're not totally up on the rules. It's a PL-8 campaign with a noir feel. He wanted a guy who's kind of unconciously lucky. The Shadow meets the guy from Get Smart, who thinks he's a badass vigilante but is really just bumbling around. We came up with a bit, and then someone on Reddit suggested this, but we don't know if it's any good.

I'm not an expert either, but playing around in Hero Lab, I came up with this. I may be missing some obvious things, but maybe you'll get some ideas?
Strength 4, Stamina 4, Agility 4, Dexterity 4, Fighting 4, Intellect -1, Awareness -1, Presence 4

Advantages Defensive Roll, Diehard, Fearless, Improvised Tools, Instant Up, Jack-of-all-trades, Luck (Edit Scene) 2, Luck (Improve Roll) 2, Luck (Instant Counter) 2, Luck (Recover) 2, Prone Fighting, Second Chance 5: Choose Hazard, Second Chance 5: Choose Hazard, Second Chance 5: Choose Hazard, Second Chance 5: Choose Hazard, Second Chance 5: Choose Hazard, Uncanny Dodge

Skills Acrobatics 6 (+10), Athletics 6 (+10), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+6), Vehicles 4 (+8)

Powers Blaster Pistol (Easily Removable) Damage: Damage 5(force, DC 20; Increased Range: ranged) Breakfall: Movement 1 (luck, Safe Fall; Reaction: reaction) Escape Notice: Concealment 10 (All Senses; Passive) Luck Control: Luck Control 4 (Bestow Luck, Force a Re-roll, Negate Luck, Spend on Other, DC 14; Resistible: Will, Side Effect: on failure - Bad stuff happens if roll fails) Lucky Dodge: Enhanced Trait 1 (Traits: Dodge +0 (+4), Parry +0 (+4), Advantages: Uncanny Dodge) Lucky Escape: Healing 1 (Subtle 2: undetectable; Limited: Self)

Offense Initiative +4 Damage: Damage 5, +4 (DC 20) Grab, +4 (DC Spec 14) Throw, +4 (DC 19) Unarmed, +6 (DC 19)

Complications Accident Motivation: Doing Good

Languages Native Language

Defense Dodge 4, Parry 4, Fortitude 4, Toughness 5/4, Will -1

Power Points Abilities 44 + Powers 27 + Advantages 40 + Skills 9 (18 ranks) + Defenses 0 = 120

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I decided to start a contest for January a little early. It's focused on games that actively support online, traditional roleplaying games. In other words, trpgs made with the idea of playing across a computer as the main, intended form of play.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
So I've been reading Salem's Lot and playing Payday 2. Thinking of running a Night's Black Agents game where the PCs are a crew of professional thieves hired to steal a super rare antique from this dealer in a small town in the middle of nowhere. Once they steal the antique, they find out the dealer (and most of the town) are vampires. The person that hired them knew this and wanted to pit the crew vs the vampires because she thinks they'll succeed where a group of candy rear end priests, writers, and cops wouldn't stand a chance against the undead.

What's the antique?

What's special about these vampires?

Why can't the crew cut their losses and run?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone give me the elevator pitch/lowdown on Iron Kingdoms? I tried looking it up on F&F but it never got to the mechanics.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can someone give me the elevator pitch/lowdown on Iron Kingdoms? I tried looking it up on F&F but it never got to the mechanics.
D&D plus steampunk (not the full airships and top hats style, but early industrial revolution (guns, railroads) and clanky steam-fired robots controlled by magicians. World has generic good guy kingdom in the center (with a weak king and lots of unrest), a Russian/Soviet empire in the frozen north, a nation of crazed religious fanatics in the desert to the south, and a giant evil swamp empire ruled by an demigod-grade undead dragon and his council of liches to the west.Plus Dwarf Mountains, the Elven Forest, mysterious ruins, and some frightening invaders from across the eastern desert. Very well detailed and supported with good production values. You could do much worse for a D&D-with-a-twist setting.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Also if you're playing the newest version of the rules the combat section is straight-up a game of Warmachine, so if you and your group isn't much for wargames there's gonna be a problem.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

clockworkjoe posted:

So I've been reading Salem's Lot and playing Payday 2. Thinking of running a Night's Black Agents game where the PCs are a crew of professional thieves hired to steal a super rare antique from this dealer in a small town in the middle of nowhere. Once they steal the antique, they find out the dealer (and most of the town) are vampires. The person that hired them knew this and wanted to pit the crew vs the vampires because she thinks they'll succeed where a group of candy rear end priests, writers, and cops wouldn't stand a chance against the undead.

What's the antique?

All of those questions are going to vary depending on your vampires. I might do something like:

The antique is a royal seal from a house long lost to history. It's important to the vampires for a much more utilitarian reason--the material its made of is somehow a necessary catalyst for infecting people and turning them into vampires. And the reason the crew can't get out can be the same reason Sergeant Howie can't leave in The Wicker Man--the place is an island and their boat/seaplane has been busted. Or maybe the vampires are working a storm at some arcane site in town. The vampires themselves you'll have to make yourself. Considering the isolation themes, it's up to you whether you want to go physical horror and have the vampires in direct control of the town with all manner of vicious beasties, or go more Mirror Mode and say that the town has been subverted at its core, so that its nominally human inhabitants report to their vampire sires on the crew.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Swags posted:

A friend of mine is playing in the Heirs of the Atom living campaign in Denver in a few months, and wanted to make a dude. Neither of us have played since 1st ed, and we're not totally up on the rules. It's a PL-8 campaign with a noir feel. He wanted a guy who's kind of unconciously lucky. The Shadow meets the guy from Get Smart, who thinks he's a badass vigilante but is really just bumbling around. We came up with a bit, and then someone on Reddit suggested this, but we don't know if it's any good.

I'm not an expert either, but playing around in Hero Lab, I came up with this. I may be missing some obvious things, but maybe you'll get some ideas?
Strength 4, Stamina 4, Agility 4, Dexterity 4, Fighting 4, Intellect -1, Awareness -1, Presence 4

Advantages Defensive Roll, Diehard, Fearless, Improvised Tools, Instant Up, Jack-of-all-trades, Luck (Edit Scene) 2, Luck (Improve Roll) 2, Luck (Instant Counter) 2, Luck (Recover) 2, Prone Fighting, Second Chance 5: Choose Hazard, Second Chance 5: Choose Hazard, Second Chance 5: Choose Hazard, Second Chance 5: Choose Hazard, Second Chance 5: Choose Hazard, Uncanny Dodge

Skills Acrobatics 6 (+10), Athletics 6 (+10), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+6), Vehicles 4 (+8)

Powers Blaster Pistol (Easily Removable) Damage: Damage 5(force, DC 20; Increased Range: ranged) Breakfall: Movement 1 (luck, Safe Fall; Reaction: reaction) Escape Notice: Concealment 10 (All Senses; Passive) Luck Control: Luck Control 4 (Bestow Luck, Force a Re-roll, Negate Luck, Spend on Other, DC 14; Resistible: Will, Side Effect: on failure - Bad stuff happens if roll fails) Lucky Dodge: Enhanced Trait 1 (Traits: Dodge +0 (+4), Parry +0 (+4), Advantages: Uncanny Dodge) Lucky Escape: Healing 1 (Subtle 2: undetectable; Limited: Self)

Offense Initiative +4 Damage: Damage 5, +4 (DC 20) Grab, +4 (DC Spec 14) Throw, +4 (DC 19) Unarmed, +6 (DC 19)

Complications Accident Motivation: Doing Good

Languages Native Language

Defense Dodge 4, Parry 4, Fortitude 4, Toughness 5/4, Will -1

Power Points Abilities 44 + Powers 27 + Advantages 40 + Skills 9 (18 ranks) + Defenses 0 = 120

That's... more complicated than it needs to be.
  • I'd buy down attributes and add skills in general. Unless you have a lot of skills under an attribute (or a couple skills under an attribute that boosts a save), it's generally not worth buying them up, save for Fighting and Stamina, which always pay for themselves. Basically the attributes are a little confusing in that they're usually just "packages" of effects you can buy otherwise, and often more cheaply depending on the concept. Strength depends on your character, but it might be cheaper just to buy the Damage power with a fisticuffs or martial arts SFX unless he's intended as pretty buff. I wouldn't worry about buying down attributes generally, but that's a personal preference.
  • Never buy up Presence. It's a newbie trap, unfortunately, since all Presence does is boost Deception, Intimidate, and Persuasion. Buying up all those skills together is actually cheaper than the attribute. (We generally house rule Presence to half cost in the games I play in.)
  • Having the different kinds of Luck is an alternate rule. Generally I'd just say buy Luck 5, there'd be a lot less bookkeeping that way. Granted, if you are playing with the Hero Point variant where Luck has to be bought for various benefits, then go hog wild. I get the impression he saw it in Hero Lab and didn't realize it was an alternate rule.
  • I'd suggest having traits closer to the Power Level of 8. So the pistol should be Damage 8, your attack should be around +8, and saves should be around +8, give or take a point or two if you're doing tradeoffs. Having your combat traits around Power Level is how the game is balanced, roughly.
  • You don't need to add reaction timing to Safe Fall. Safe Fall just works as-is.
  • Luck Control shouldn't have resistible - most foes will make that save most of the time. If you want to have luck "backfire", I'd do that as a Complication instead for the GM to activate.
  • I wouldn't worry about Enhanced Traits unless you really want to. Buying up your saves normally involves less bookkeeping.
  • Healing 1 isn't worth the cost; most characters heal quickly enough in M&M 3e that the slight benefit isn't worth it. (Self-only Healing would just be Regeneration, anyway.)
That's just my general observations; I don't know what effects you're looking to achieve necessarily, but I get the impression the reddit guy here is tinkering with Hero Lab without a strong understanding of how the game actually works. There are some interesting ideas, like the Concealment, but overall I'd say he's overcomplicating things unnecessarily for what isn't a complicated concept.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's an alright skirmish miniatures game married to a class system and a very run-of-the-mill noncombat task resolution system. So, in other words, pretty much 4E but you'll have to use a ruler. :v: (You could super easily just substitute a 1" hex grid.)

The setting's cool, but I already have the massive D&D era sourcebooks for the setting and don't really like combat-focused RPGs. I'd probably try to hack out some sort of Fate implementation instead of buying the expensive official book. Atomic Robo might be a good starting point for warjack rules, maybe, and definitely a good place for implementing mechanikal gadgets. After that, it's just needs a good magic system and a bunch of ways for Menites to put things On Fire.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm reading through the core IK book now, and the first part reads like a textbook of the Iron Kingdoms' history from creation myths to present day. It's fantastic compared to the in-character White Wolf narratives I've been wrestling lately. (Listen Mac, you ain't the new bee stomper in the Big Flippy without Duke Suzi Knifetongue's say-so, so I'll lay it out in the vaguest terms possibly.)

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

clockworkjoe posted:

What's the antique?

There's a series of storms heading for a town in the Alaskan bush. The PCs get in, steal an old Russian Orthodox icon from the private collection/local museum/old church, and catch their employer's chartered plane out of dodge. Of course there's no plane, so there's no choice but to wait out the storms. It's probably a fishing town, but the storms are bad enough to keep the boats in or some such.

The painting could be a clue, or a very eery likeness of a popular modern celebrity, depending on what you want.

The vampires themselves are a clan of fairly traditional Russian vampires. They feed on the various sailors and temporary workers who come through town. The PCs were hired because they were all born on a Saturday or fathered by vampires or something.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
They were hired by a vampire to steal other vampire's favourite painting to gently caress with him, as a part of long-running feud. They sort of blew the secrecy of the entire thing (no one expected ~vampire powers~/~vampire conspiracy~), leading to the feud re-igniting with the both sides angry at them. As the shadow war spirals out exceeding expectations, the PCs can either live on the run forever, or play the sides against each other, hoping to either crash entire system, or if they're feeling cynical, set up an influential patron who won't mind leaving them be.

Escaping the town is difficult, because everyone can be on it, or whatever, let the conspiracy's tendrils spread/awaken wherever they go, perhaps returning to the town for a final showdown. It'll probably be more fun to let them do heists all around the country in important/iconic facilities, that totally are infiltrated by vampires.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

moths posted:

Listen Mac, you ain't the new bee stomper in the Big Flippy without Duke Suzi Knifetongue's say-so, so I'll lay it out in the vaguest terms possibly.
Hahahahahahahahahaha

I did not realize I had repressed memories of picking up a Vampire Clanbook at my local gaming store in the 1990s, reading a paragraph on the way to the counter to buy them, and then putting them back as a result of reading a paragraph. That I did this more than once is even more amazing.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

moths posted:

I'm reading through the core IK book now, and the first part reads like a textbook of the Iron Kingdoms' history from creation myths to present day. It's fantastic compared to the in-character White Wolf narratives I've been wrestling lately. (Listen Mac, you ain't the new bee stomper in the Big Flippy without Duke Suzi Knifetongue's say-so, so I'll lay it out in the vaguest terms possibly.)

I tried to read the core book's setting chapter, but it spent so many pages on "poo poo I do not need to know to play this game" that I skipped ahead to the system and still haven't bothered with the setting. I want to get into the setting, but twenty pages of ancient history is not the way to do it. Start with how things are, and make "how things were thousands of years ago" into back-matter unless you can make it directly relevant to a game.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
Vaguely recall that Iron Kingdoms was the book with more than 10 pages written about the Calendar of the setting, with detailed descriptions of minor celestial events and the inconsequential holidays linked to them. Am I misremembering? It was the worst info-dump I've ever seen in an RPG book.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
To be fair, IKR has basically the shortest big fat fantasy RPG setting timeline of just about any game ever, since it only goes back a few thousand years as opposed to like, several hundred thousand or even millions. Like there's a sense of actual progressing time and it's not about a glorious golden age that is now forgotten because magic is a fairly new innovation and they're figuring out new tricks all the time.

(Also the calendar is like a sidebar, not multiple pages)

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
IK's history is an incredible gently caress fest that you just sort of slog through to get to the good part, which is playing the game. Also, only play with Iosans and Rhulics, because every other nation is boring.

• Locked thread