Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DocBubonic posted:

Reckoners are the reason for ghost rock. It sure isn't naturally occurring in the Deadlands universe. Ghost rock and Mad science helped to keep the U.S. from defeating the C.S.A.

Also in the time between the end of the civil war and Hell on Earth, the two countries are at peace. At the same time the two countries do a good job of wiping out most supernatural threats.

The whole reason for ghost rock was to a) keep people fighting over resources and b) release damned souls into the world. The Reckoners' long-term plot was to accelerate human technological advancement to the point where we developed ghost-rock-nukes that didn't rely on Mad Science and could be mass produced, because they were the tools needed to turn the world into one big Deadland.

It's also why the manitous stopped helping mad scientists once the bomb was developed: their work here was done, and overnight mad science just stopped working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

I will have no truck with any setting that doesn't allow for mad science :colbert:

Oh, Hell On Earth still allows for mad science, it's just that instead of hoping a demon will whisper the technological secrets into your ear and fill in the physics gaps with spiritual energy, you trap the demon in a special spirit battery and drain the energy out of it until it evaporates.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There just seems to be a point where certain AEG settings (Legend of the Five Rings, 7th Sea, Shadowforce Archer) forgot their mission statement of providing a genre experience and instead started meandering into other genres without much rhyme or reason other than "gotcha!".

What was the "gotcha" on Shadowforce Archer?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tendales posted:

I've been flipping through Outbreak, and so far... well. The layout is awful. Text bleeds into the margin art. Character creation is completely nonsense. Honestly, this book is reading like a collection of someone's design notes, arranged vaguely into categories. Sometimes those categories are labelled wrong. Almost all of the gamemaster section's pages are labelled 'the turn' for some reason.

This is actually an appallingly unpolished sophomore effort.

That'll be an interesting conversation when that guy comes back into the store, then.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ratpick posted:

So it's basically an uglier version of Tabletop Simulator.

It's also incredibly impractical.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Babylon Astronaut posted:

My curiosity got the best of me and I watched this. Holy gently caress. It is the dumbest poo poo I have ever heard. "to stay true to history, role playing games came before D&D" "Ok, I'll accept that premise." They just stake out random positions on pointless poo poo, and refuse to budge in the face of reality. "A roleplaying game has no fluff." Every sentence is wrong. I'm coming to think that "RPG designer" is a step below idiot making GBS threads their pants and smearing it on their face like warpaint.

There are plenty of designers who aren't jackasses, but as is often the case you don't know it because they don't do stuff like make videos about how awesome they are.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I doubt it; as it is there's not a lot of real "reviewing" of RPGs outside of RPGNet or the stuff on DriveThru.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I like my bubble. All my stuff is in here.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Libertad! posted:

The other pertinent question is, how many dots in History (Japan) do you get from watching 10 years' worth of anime?

None. You actually owe the game three dots.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I was in a pokemon one-shot that used FAE, and it worked really well. The 'mons type and nature were just aspects, and they fought using the trainer's approaches.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'm reminded of a guy elsewhere who really hated Eberron because it was too focused on giving him plot hooks. It had too many mysteries! Too many fine details left unsaid! How am I supposed to get into the world as a DM if I don't know what caused the Mourning? How am I supposed to run a game if all I have to give players is adventure?

That sounds like Gaming Den thinkin'.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

Honestly, using that list of dramatic situations to come up with ideas is great. But using it as a random table seems pretty poo poo, yep. Put down the dice and just pick the most interesting situation.

On the other hand, the first one for story elements is cool to use as a random table, I think. There's a wounded crone in the Green Weasel Inn. She tells you of the Slayer of Mirrors that lies abandoned in the stormy desert where the invisible owl lives. Sounds like a perfectly D&D-esque quest to me!

Edit: and just re-roll the crap. A passionate gaming piece isn't ringing any bells, but a dying gaming piece? Now there's something I can hang a quest on. A too-rich-for-his-own-good motherfucker needs you to go get medicine for his sick meeples. Along the way you find out that they are fully sentient and enslaved. But he's offering you so much money...

It always bears repeating: there's nothing wrong with using random roll tables and such for inspiration. It's when they start dictating things that's the problem.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

There was a guy quoted in a previous grognards.txt whose long-running D&D campaign was so simulation-minded that it was literally impossible for adventurers to do anything because if there was anything to do, someone (probably higher level) would have already done it. Like, your party will never hear of a haunted tomb full of treasure outside of town because the likelihood of you being the first to hear about it were roughly zero, so some other party of adventurers would have already cleaned it out by the time you got there, and so on. Being the first group of people to be handed a map by a grizzled old man in a tavern was an obviously unrealistic dramatic contrivance, and the DM was having none of that. It was literally a world without plot hooks.

FMguru posted:

IIRC the players had to bust their rear end to find (or created) a profitable yet unfilled niche to exploit (why, yes, the DM also built insanely detailed and "realistic" trade and currency tables) and work to hold onto it. It was less a game of heroic monsterbashing adventure and more a game of "you guys are ambitious would-be criminals just arrived in a city where powerful mafias have already divided up all the territory and rackets and don't like outsiders, what do you do?". I think the answer was the party got involved in hijacking and reselling shipments of kegs of mustard seed. Which I guess could be fun if you wanted to play Dope Wars 1100AD and not Dungeons & Dragons, but man what a weird way to play.

It was like someone took that old criticism of Forgotten Realms - that canonically, there shouldn't be anything significant for the players to do, because if something was significant one of the super-NPCs (Elminster, etc.) would have taken care of it already - and built a whole campaign around that.

I can't help but wonder what the players must have been like if they wound up in other people's games. Did they revel in their freedom, or were they upset that they had stuff to do?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rockopolis posted:

Isn't building a giant-rear end castle basically the endgame for original D&D?

Yes, but it wasn't the endgame in the sense of that being the end of your character. There were like 20+ levels after that point to slog through.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

I've had people make this argument before, and it always seems to come from the same people who think that the fighter shouldn't be capable of leading anyone because he doesn't have high charisma. People who think that the Fighter should get to become a lord and have all the benefits of that to level the playing field inevitably want to be like 'well her ability scores don't support it so she can't actually', oh but look their sorcerer has 26 charisma so everyone will follow them so they have spells and minions obviously.
In Basic, it wasn't based on your stats. When you hit level 9 (of 36), you had the option of just getting a parcel of land and building a stronghold/temple/wizard tower/hideout/whatever on it. Then XdY followers would just appear and boom, you're controlling an area.

quote:

I'd never heard of Birthright or Reign before.
Reign owns, buy it. Or at least check out all the free supplements to get an idea of what it's about.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

People tend to complain about the size of Core compared to FAE, but a lot of the book is how-to stuff about how to run and hack the game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

I don't get why people think it's a commercial failure. You can infer a lot from its D&D Insider subscriber count in regards to how much income just peripheral of it generated.

Right, but that was another shooting-themselves-in-the-foot situation. A lot of people realized that the contents from the $30+ books was being included in your $10 a month subscription that you could share with everyone. So from a customer standpoint it wasn't cost-effective to buy the books after a while.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's one company that's put out a whole line of Fate shovelware. They basically take the OGL, staple 10 to 15 pages of half-assed setting onto it, then charges $15 for the drat thing.

This is the beginning of every one of their games. This is page 3, after page 1 being the cover and page 2 being the TOC/credits. This is from "Steampunk Powered By Fate" but every opening is pretty much this with the genre tags swapped out:

quote:

CHARACTER CREATION
Character creation is a good way to get to know a role-playing game. It teaches you about the rules and the setting before you actually start to play. It's also a good idea for the gamemaster to create a test character, before presenting the game to the players, just to get a feel for the process. When the gamemaster is confident that they know the ins and outs of character creation, a group of players can be gathered and the gaming can begin.

The moment you all sit down to create characters, you’re already playing Steampunk Powered by Fate. Character creation tells part of the characters’ stories, just like any other game session does. Characters that really come alive have histories, so character creation establishes where they’ve been, what they’ve done, and why they continue to act against the issues they face, together or in opposition.

Character creation is collaborative and is best done as a group activity. Doing all of this together builds a strong foundation of communication between the players and GM.

Character creation can take a full session to do—this allows everyone to learn about the world and each other’s characters. You and the other players will talk about your characters, make suggestions to each other, and establish some of the detail of the setting.

The Character Sheet
You’ll want to keep good notes on the character creation process. You can use the character sheet in the back of this book. The character creation process is broken into the following steps.

Name: Name your character.
Backstory: Decide on concept and troubles.
Aspects: Come up with your character’s aspects.
Skills: Pick and rate your skills.
Stunts: Pick, or invent, three to five stunts.
Refresh: Determine starting fate points.
Stress and Consequences: Determine how much of a beating your character can take.

Your Character Name
A source for character names that many players use is whatever novel they are reading at that moment, or whatever TV show or movie they're watching. You don't have to use TV character names directly, but can instead change and adapt them a bit.

It sometimes helps to find some meaning within the names, especially with surnames. Combining two names with a meaning can provide an interesting name, such as Darkraven, from dark and raven.

Sometimes players try to think of something that ‘sounds’ like it belongs to a steampunk setting. This tends to be names that have fallen out of fashion, such as Agnes or Sebastian. Sometimes the concept comes first and the character is then later named accordingly. Some players look for inspiration in mythology.

Whatever your ‘process’, naming a character is one of the most important steps in character creation. If all else fails, however, the Internet is full of name generators for sci-fi and fantasy characters that can
help.

Your Character Backstory
Once you have a name, you next design a concept for your character, and think about their troubles. These two things make up the character's backstory. This could also be modelled after a character from a favourite novel or movie, or could be based around some specific thing that you want to be able to do (like break boards with your head, explore Martian jungles, fix broken dirigibles, etc.).

Your concept will evolve as you decide on your character's language, sprawl of origin, previous career, etc.

Language
The languages spoken by the character are an good opportunity to add a little colour to the character sheet. Everyone, unless their background is very unusual will speak the language of the Empire where the game is set, or Martian for an off-world game.

Characters can speak an additional 1D3 languages if they desire. There is no need to choose your languages yet. Fill in your language slots as you play the game, and it becomes apparent which languages are important to your character.

I don't think I've ever seen a phrase that gets you into the designers' mindset better than "Combining two names with a meaning can provide an interesting name, such as Darkraven, from dark and raven."

They've got a dozen or so of these products, which isn't surprising since they probably took about half an hour each to write.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Davin Valkri posted:

If Fate has an OGL, and Fate Accelerated is free, then how are they still in business? That all sounds very...generic.

They were released about the same time the Fate Core KS ended, and people were grabbing everything with Fate on it. They're the very definition of cash-in-cash-grab products.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Parkreiner posted:

To be pedantic (the best kind of correct!), I'm pretty sure Green Ronin's first product was a supplement for Feng Shui, that Chris Pramas published himself because Daedalus was such a shitshow.

It was that and a supplement for Whispering Vault. But d20 put them over the top because they had the first d20 adventure available at the GenCon where 3e was released. So people were buying the first new D&D in however long it was, then GR was there going "hey, you want to start playing right away? Here's a module with pregens!"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Green Ronin was one of the better d20 supplement publishers. That's not to say their stuff is really good in a modern context, but was pretty solid when you compared it to most of the d20 output at the time - it was probably the closest you'd get to a low-budget version of WotC's releases outside of Malhavoc. There's a reason Freeport is one of the few settings that originated in d20 that's still being published to this day in various forms.

They were also smart enough to expand Freeport to other systems. They have a generic citybook that has all the needed fluff, then they have system-specific books for 4E, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, and Fate that have detailed stats and new rules and such.

I still say Pirate's Guide to Freeport is one of the best citybooks out there. They understand that if you're going to list major locations or people, they need to be interesting and/or have cool hooks.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Asymmetrikon posted:

Given that the existence of magic and wizards has essentially no impact on the functioning of society in RPGs, hoping for darkvision to affect worldbuilding is perhaps a bit optimistic.

I have a whole rant about how D&D-land can't be Standard Pseudo-Medieval Europe if Continual Light spells exist.

But yes, one of the things that makes Eberron so great is that it actually acknowledges that when you have magic, that will actually affect the culture at large.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Merry Christmas you goddamn nerds.

And Gygax bless us, every one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

From what I can tell, the "It's not going to be balanced/compatible with IKRPG" is a Privateer press forum interpretation of them saying "We're not going to balance the games assuming that PCs from one game will be in parties with from PCs from the other" at Gencon and then everyone going full Chicken little on interpreting that.

Well, that worked so well for White Wolf...

• Locked thread