Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

7th Sea just needed a mechanic where you randomly roll up a secret society and assign it to the players but they don't know. Five years into a campaign, you are finally allowed to inform your players they were *rolls* crab-men from *rolls* the moon and have a plan to *rolls* destroy all freedom through *rolls* a photonic virus.
Every game should have some "roll up a secret society" charts. Someone make this, I need some more crazy poo poo for my Mage game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Night10194 posted:

I was in a campaign that was pretty awesome right up until the GM bought all the books, excited, and decided he would follow the goddamn metaplot to the letter and killed the game right quick by doing it.

potatocubed posted:

I really enjoyed reading the metaplot, but I played it and it remained entirely irrelevant the whole time.

This is every metaplot in every game. gently caress metaplots, I want a game book not a novel.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

KirbyJ posted:

At least L5R 4e tries it's best to be timeline neutral, especially at the beginning of the line: it details stuff from certain time periods in the CCG but then usually gave you a sidebar on how to use it in another time period, etc. One of the things I really appreciate about the line.
Yeah that's actually one thing AEG does right: any time there's an "event" in the storyline that makes it into a book, there's a sidebar that says "this happens between events A and B, so if your game takes place in this part of the timeline/this thing did/did not happen (yet), X and Y would be different in this way."

Currently my L5R game is set in the "who gives a drat" era, with emperor Not Personally Relevant.

ETA:

FMguru posted:

Some people want to play in a world where the most they can hope to accomplish is fetching a Diet Coke for Hida O-Ushi or make a brief walk-on appearance at the Battle of Beiden Pass, and the L5R RPG is for them.
I know this happens because I've seen it (mostly in VtM), but I'll never understand it. Why the hell would you want to play an effectively nameless mook? When I play I wanna make Osano-wo look like a scrub in comparison, not tell the grand story of that one time I made a peasant bow to me.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 5, 2014

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AmiYumi posted:

Always the best way to run L5R. Hell, we would always just mash up the various eras on the basis of "what do people want to play?" Sometimes the answer comes up "a gaijin diplomat, a Daidoji Harrier, a shadow-branded Scorpion, and a Firefly clan bushi", and who even cares if that makes sense?
Some people have this weird boner for being 100% accurate to the fiction, which again is odd to me because why are you even playing at that point? Our party right now is a very Crab-esque Kakita, a Sparrow who fights with his fists because drawing a weapon means spending time not beating on someone, a Mantis who can't sail because the ocean hates him (Wrath of the Kami: Water), and my Phoenix who plans on building a castle made of crystal and jade in the shadowlands because this is the best way to research how to un-taint blood magic. It's totally ridiculous and very fun, but I'm sure there's a whole pack of sperglords out there who would howl endlessly about it because we aren't playing exactly to the stereotypes as written.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AmiYumi posted:

I just don't get it, especially because L5R character creation (at least back when we were playing) seems designed to make completely insane characters.
I don't know how it was before 4th, but yeah you can totally get crazy at chargen. A lot of stuff has a better ROI for characters of a certain clan/school/etc so you can see where they wanted people to go, but those cost breaks and such are so minor that you can do whatever you like. I rolled on the heritage table in Great Clans and ended up with a helpful kansen. And who wouldn't want a blood magic spirit buddy?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Yeah they way we did it was that you got one roll for free, then you could either keep it, drop it and not roll again, or drop it and roll again but you have to keep the second. I think I was the only person who actually managed to roll something worth keeping.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tendales posted:

I've been flipping through Outbreak, and so far... well. The layout is awful. Text bleeds into the margin art. Character creation is completely nonsense. Honestly, this book is reading like a collection of someone's design notes, arranged vaguely into categories. Sometimes those categories are labelled wrong. Almost all of the gamemaster section's pages are labelled 'the turn' for some reason.

This is actually an appallingly unpolished sophomore effort.
Welcome to FFG.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
To steal from Jim Gaffigan: Camping was a tradition in everyone's family, then we invented "indoors".

Edit: However, I don't think I could live in a city that didn't have trees and lakes scattered throughout it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AmiYumi posted:

Imagine what Reddit and 4chan would look like if the world were suddenly Exalted

just...imagine. :magical:
No. God no. I refuse. You can't make me do this horrible thing oh god I did it shoot me now

4chan are Lunars, Reddit are Infernals. :froggonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know a whole lot about Pokemon beyond watching friends play it on Game Boys back in high school, but I think that a game about fantastical animals engaging in sanctioned duels would be just about perfect for lots of social combat: backroom dealings and match rigging and betting and bookies. Don King: The Game, with small magical animals.
I would play this.

• Locked thread