Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Those "stat yourself" games sound like they'd be loving awesome if the last thing you do at character creation is pass your character sheet to the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, you stat yourself up and hand your character over to another player.

I mean, you'd probably have to devote a lot of text to how this is the fictionalized RPG version of your friends. So when it turns out Josh is a warp-dust addicted alien-cultist, it's fun and not GODDAMN GUYS WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS PICKING ON ME

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Athas used to be inaccessible from any other realm, which I took as meaning it existed in the future, way at the end of the D&D multiverse. Everything else had already died and burnt out, all that remained anywhere was a chunk of sand and rock whose inhabitants are fighting over the scraps.

Then they were just like "oh it's over here and some wizard poo poo makes it hard to visit."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah this is probably the best time to be into gaming ever. We're flooded with options, and you never have to settle for hateful cat-piss players with today's social media tools.

Plus the monolith of D&D is finally good and dead.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's no longer the only game anyone plays, it's dead as a monolith.

Hell even the poor souls who only play D&D are no longer honour-bound to a particular D&D (or Pathfinder D&D). And it's great. The hobby is free of the choking kudzu it was in the D20 days, or the light-blocking oak it was before that.

New games are happening, with new ideas and concepts. And people are actually playing them. You can ask "what if we didn't have ability scores?" and have a real discussion.

This really is the best time for RPGs. We see the worst of the industry in G.TXT, but for every shitheel homophobe raging against gay paladins, some lucky kid will unwrap a FFG Starwars game tomorrow. For every Kingdom Death creep, there's a half dozen new Settlers or Dominion players, meeting up on meetup groups. Things really are getting better overall, but it's easy to lose sight of that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Are you running the unrated director's cut of that Silver Princess?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm reading through the core IK book now, and the first part reads like a textbook of the Iron Kingdoms' history from creation myths to present day. It's fantastic compared to the in-character White Wolf narratives I've been wrestling lately. (Listen Mac, you ain't the new bee stomper in the Big Flippy without Duke Suzi Knifetongue's say-so, so I'll lay it out in the vaguest terms possibly.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Warlocks were just going to be Better, and they didn't care. It's a big red flag in an industry that routinely sucks off wizards while telling the sword-mans that doing a boring thing twice is fun.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's absolutely not the quote anyone reacted to. I'll see if I can find the right one, but ugh it's a loving mess of search terms.

e:

Sulecrist posted:

IKRPG seminar highlights:

-"Something is in the works" related to the old IKRPG model line.
-Unleashed has ~8 races and ~30 careers. Some overlap with Full Metal Fantasy.
-Warlocks are sort of intentionally more powerful than anyone else.
-The book is pretty lighthearted, since it's super violent and anything else would be too horrible.
-Amazing art. AMAZING.
-Emphasis on survival. Rules for freezing to death, starving to death, etc.
-Bone grinding as an analog to mekanika. You have to get the bits yourself.

A lot of what was said doesn't translate very well to bullet points. I can answer questions if you have them. Long story short I'm incredibly excited.

Fyrbrand posted:

Yes, and the reason given was that they don't care about trying to maintain some perfect nebulous balance between all the classes. It's an RPG, not a tabletop competitive war game.

moths fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Except that I quoted two posters, from this very thread, who attended the Gencon IKRPG seminar.

Maybe there was enough backlash that they've reeled in Warlocks since then.

Edit: it's totally possible that the presenter communicated the wrong message, and I don't doubt that the PP forums are overreacting. Based on the tiny fragment of information we have, it doesn't sound promising.

moths fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 30, 2014

• Locked thread