Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
gently caress it, why not. Applied as Hurrhurr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Non-IAP newbie perspective:

Starting day 3: I'm at Pirate Hall 3, Tavern 4, Guild Ship finishing up in about six hours, Blacksmith built, 90K-ish storage for gold and grog, 130 gems to go to get my third Builder. The Builders are the major bottleneck for progress because it's drat hard to find anything to spend gold/grog on that doesn't require a Builder, and you need to do a lot of building before you can upgrade your ship for further exploration (that's two Grog Storage 4s at a minimum to afford the Lighthouse).

If you don't care about your Battle Rank (and at this point I do not) filling up your Gold/Grog tanks is absurdly easy. Shop around for an opponent who's got basically unprotected storage units and lots of your currency of choice and then just unload everything on it. You may be defeated in 20 seconds but you'll steal tens of thousands of gold/grog in 10.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Holy poo poo. I just got an Errand - A Brew Good Men -- that takes six hours but gives 85 BP, 20K Grog and 12 gems. :getin:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

quote:

Meta Protip: Be careful how you upgrade troops. This is really terrible game design and I'm almost positive not intended and will be changed at some point, but for now there are some troops you want to skip upgrades on. Mainly the WitchDoctor, but also the Bomber, Heavy Gunner, and Juggernaut.

I've got Bombers now. What should I avoid when upgrading?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Hitting Pirate Hall 5 tomorrow, which has some nice upgrades with it. The growth curve is settling down now that worthwhile upgrades are taking 12-48 hours to implement, but getting the third Builder with quest gems helps a little.

The nice thing about pounding on Gold/Grog Storage upgrades is that it makes training at the Academy much easier. Buy an expensive skill upgrade, pound on idiots to gather up six figures of grog per attempt, buy a different troop's skill upgrade, repeat until everybody's got one in progress. My Bombers are much more fun now that they aren't total tissue paper.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Brutes benefit greatly from their first few Academy upgrades -- they boost Brute toughness significantly, which is what you need them for. By Academy Lvl 3 you can take Brutes from 350 to 1200, which makes them considerably more useful even without their Taunt skill.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
This is my favorite honeypot layout of the week.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Lblitzer posted:

Perhaps I'm missing something but when exploring, I can only reach so far and I've gotten to every point on the map that I can reach, but I still don't have enough EP to get myself a lighthouse to build a level 2 ship. Do I really have to explore random parts of the map I've already uncovered? If so, that's incredibly bad game design.

A couple of ways to generate EPs:

1) Errands. Have the appropriate pirate running errands constantly.
2) Send a couple of pirates on milk runs through shallow waters -- not fighting anybody unless you want to, just taking laps through those six-second waves.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I use Bombers a lot because they're hilarious to me. Nasty as hell when they concentrate on the right target, until their ADHD kicks in and you're screaming at them to stop running halfway across the map to blow up an outhouse.

Juggernauts have their advantages -- stronger out of the gate than moderately upgraded Brutes, less team cost -- but you have to remember that they won't beeline for defenses like Brutes will. They'll cheerfully beat on a Guild Hall while a Bunker an inch away peppers them.

At the moment I go 5 Brutes, 4 Jugs, then split the rest between Bombers and Gunners. Make a hole, send in the Brutes to clear out mortars, then spam.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

RVT posted:

If you're spending all that grog, might as well mix in a WitchDoctor once you get the first Guardian upgrade. That comp should be able to roll a lot of bases.

I plan to, but my Voodoo Hut is just now a day away from Tier 2.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
As I'm sure you just noticed, the good thing about walls is that while they do require a builder and get expensive, they upgrade instantly.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Only problem with winning our first war against Germans is that we'll just have to do it all over again a while later.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

gromdul posted:

Someone with a fully explored map, please take a screen shot and post it here (and add it to the op).

Perhaps spoiler tag it in case goons like the mystery.

Here's one that's in English with full details:

:siren: HERE THERE BE SPOILERS :siren:
http://i.imgur.com/7nLyOLg.jpg
:siren: THERE THERE BE SPOILERS :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
My tablet is having some charging issues, so Hurrhurr will be in and out (not that I haven't been already) until it's repaired.

• Locked thread