Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

No true brit would ever speak of eck's mass. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Renaissance Robot posted:

So I guess Salmond's recent diet is the latest part of the War On Eck's Mass?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Haha! Viz, yeah?

Coohoolin posted:

OP is missing Salmond as Santa.

I was going to add Santa Marx, but ran out of room.

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I must insist this is added to the OP to allow everyone to get into the appropriate spirit!

Adding to OP for extra yuletide cheer.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Gonzo McFee posted:

Whatever Cherie Blair is doing with her left hand I don't think Tony likes it.
Au contraire, he looks like he's in the vinegar strokes.

Edit: Seriously though, was the photographer pissing on Tony's shoes as he asked him to say cheese or something, that's a grimace for the loving ages.

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 1, 2014

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

Au contraire, he looks like he's in the vinegar strokes.

Edit: Seriously though, was the photographer pissing on Tony's shoes as he asked him to say cheese or something, that's a grimace for the loving ages.

Knowing Cherie she's probably trying to nick his wallet.

Also I think that's just his face now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesky Splinter posted:

I was going to add Santa Marx, but ran out of room.
Marx has far from the most impressive communist Santa beard.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Season's greetings! This is the actual Blair christmas card; featuring Tony Blair's warmest, most inviting smile! I must insist this is added to the OP to allow everyone to get into the appropriate spirit!

:whitewater:

That look on Blair. :gibs:

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Season's greetings! This is the actual Blair christmas card; featuring Tony Blair's warmest, most inviting smile! I must insist this is added to the OP to allow everyone to get into the appropriate spirit!

:whitewater:

Poor Tony was too busy hoovering up war criminal consultancy money in the East to make the photoshoot this year, so we used his wax replica from Madame Tussauds.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
It looks like they photoshopped Cherie's head onto some other woman's body.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Because she knows what happens if you directly touch Tony Blair.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

The Corporate posted:

Pointless protest - you can't fight the economics behind gentrification of Hoxton, it's Zone 1 and it's going to happen whether they like it or not. The issue is a lack of affordable housing elsewhere to replace it.

I don't agree with this attitude: "This is the way things are and we just have to adjust to it." The UK housing market didn't just 'happen': it's not somehow the natural order of things. The crazy UK housing market has got this way because of certain decisions made by the Powers That Be: if different choices are made, different outcomes will result. Remember that we're one of the richest countries in the world: there's absolutely no reason why there can't be plentiful, cheap, high-quality housing for everyone, except that decisions have been made that this should NOT be the case.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
I made this and regretted it almost instantly. Sorry.

Sorta :nms: :nms:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

Knowing Cherie she's probably trying to nick his wallet.

Also I think that's just his face now.

When your Christmas photo looks less appealing and loving than Charlie Manson's wedding album, you should maybe think twice before sending it to your friends.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'd say Tony looks like he's having an existential crisis, but those are only for people with consciences.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

While we're horrifying each other with Blair, I was wondering if someone in this thread would happen to know where I could find that ad designed to get people out to vote which ends up with Tony Blair mugging the camera? Someone posted it in a UKMT a couple years back and I can't find it anyplace.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You rang? :unsmigghh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmwqEg-06Ww

Lyrics actually poignant and accurate in retrospect

quote:

You can walk my path, you can wear my shoes
Learn to talk like me and be an angel too
But maybe you ain't never gonna feel this way
You ain't never gonna know me but I know you

I sometimes lose myself in me, I lose track of time
And I can't see the woods for the trees, you set them alight
Burn the bridges as you've gone, I'm too weak to fight ya
I've got my personal hell to deal with

You have shown me prejudice and greed
And you've shown me how I must learn to deal with this disease
I look at things now in a different light than I did before
And I've found the cause and I think that you can be my cure

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 1, 2014

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

baka kaba posted:

You rang? :unsmigghh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmwqEg-06Ww

Lyrics actually poignant and accurate in retrospect

Ta, that's the one. Just as awful as I remembered it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

So Ed Balls has said Labour must be "tough on the deficit and tough on the causes of the deficit" :v:

Any other choice soundbites for Labour to co-opt in their descent into cargo cult Blairism? If they repeat enough slogans from the late 90s glory days, maybe the power will come back!

My money's on "Immigration, immigration, immigration" for the follow-up.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Turns out that Lord Ashcroft's team miscalculated when they estimated that Miliband could be unseated if Tory and UKIP voters joined forces in Doncaster; corrected polling puts him on 54% in his seat versus a combined UKIP/Con vote of 38%. http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9084

Meanwhile, a combined English marginal seat poll has Labour up by 8 percentage points. Milibandism is... working?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Gilganixon posted:

Ta, that's the one. Just as awful as I remembered it.

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=dmwqEg-06Ww&video_start=0&audio=RrxePKps87k&audio_start=0

Renaissance Robot posted:

Xmas, or related abbreviations, has been used in this country for a thousand years

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cerv posted:

what makes you think their medical info is any of your business?
have some respect for people's privacy.

Well if a tube driver has symptoms that are similar to being drunk then maybe he shouldn't be driving a train full of commuters?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
drunk train drivers? so what? plenty of people drive pissed with no incident and the trains have all sorts of fail safe systems that cars don't have.

don't even have to worry about steering.

BA pilots managed to fly across the atlantic for years when they were pissed, no problem.

e/ also these are train drivers in LONDON the evil place full of EVIL commuters who are feeding mammon. let their train go off the tracks.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Man I don't know what I'd do if I got on a train with a driver who had a slurred voice due to a disability

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I got on a bus with a drunk bus driver once. The 376 Wells to bristol, at night 22 miles through the countryside.

The fucker kept talking about how this was the bus of death (a bus killed someone at the old Bristol Bus station not so long before, if any of you remember that, before the re-design).

Was actually a little scary.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

serious gaylord posted:

Well if a tube driver has symptoms that are similar to being drunk then maybe he shouldn't be driving a train full of commuters?

Luckily the people involved can work out a definitive answer to this instead of requiring input and approval from the peanut gallery

It's a good source of reckons though!! loving unions

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

LemonDrizzle posted:

Meanwhile, a combined English marginal seat poll has Labour up by 8 percentage points. Milibandism is... working?

You'd never know it from reading the papers but... Yes, it's being quietly successful. For the Conservatives to win the key marginals they need for a majority, they'd need a swing on average of 8-10% in each seat and for the life of me I can't see circumstances where that'd happen.

Something ELSE you'd never know from reading the papers:

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/11/27/voters-back-redistribution-wealth/

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

baka kaba posted:

Luckily the people involved can work out a definitive answer to this instead of requiring input and approval from the peanut gallery

If it was a slam dunk unfair dismissal, shouldn't the definitive answer be arrived at via an employment tribunal and a doctor rather than a strike?

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Should underfunded schools or schools in deprived areas similarly get a pass for not having access to top of the line facilities? Is trying one's best enough?

It seemed to me as if they had done everything that was sensibly required, including some of the vaunted "first-hand experience". Not so much "they did their best" as "what they did should have been enough".

I wouldn't penalise a school for not having top of the line facilities - I would penalise them if the facilities led to them not covering parts of the curriculum.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Umiapik posted:

Something ELSE you'd never know from reading the papers:

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/11/27/voters-back-redistribution-wealth/
This is what happens when you convince people that everyone is middle class except the super-rich and people on benefits who are all universally skiving and stealing your money. Squeezed middle!

It's only a step in the right direction if you're also allowed to step on people lower than you to get up there.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

baka kaba posted:

Trade unions are the greatest contribution our lovely, awful country has added to humanity.

I will fight anybody to the death, choice of their weapons, who thinks otherwise.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Prince John posted:

If it was a slam dunk unfair dismissal, shouldn't the definitive answer be arrived at via an employment tribunal and a doctor rather than a strike?

This is the root of it for me. If it was so obviously a massive loving over by TfL then why are they striking when the employment tribunal would sort it out?

Its just all a bit shady.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I know nothing about the details, but I sure have an opinion on it!

Unions strike for lots of reasons, like to effect changes in company policy and management. Here's the RMT statement:

http://www.rmt.org.uk/news/mondays-tube-strike-on-as-lu-management-wreck-acas-talks/

quote:

“RMT has been pointing out for some time now that a new culture of harassment and misuse of procedures is rife on London Underground at the moment and the union will not stand back while individuals are fitted-up and picked off as has happened in this particular case on the Northern Line.

“The unattributed briefings to the media that our member had been sacked for “drinking on duty” are totally untrue. Those smears have been repeated by the Transport Commissioner and the union has now taken that matter up with him directly.

"Our member has a specific medical condition and the union maintains that it was the failure to follow agreed procedures, and to recognise that condition, that has led to this unwarranted dismissal and the subsequent strike action. "

Why would a workers' union want to take collective action instead of letting this individual case pass, and rely on the courts to maybe slap a wrist a few months down the line? Sure is a mystery, obviously devilishly nefarious things are going on here

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

serious gaylord posted:

You quoted me, but I don't know why.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

This is the root of it for me. If it was so obviously a massive loving over by TfL then why are they striking when the employment tribunal would sort it out?

Its just all a bit shady.

So what do you think they are striking about then?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Future PM.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I often wonder what the legacy of the dead of WW1 would be. Why exactly they gave their lives to fight a pointless war that did nothing but create another world war, and was merely a political dickwaving contest.

We know for certain it wasn't to end war, to secure freedom, to protect the country or even bring peace to the world, but we've finally found it out was ultimately to flog cheap poo poo on behalf of Sainsbury's.

I never thought I'd say this, but gently caress the British Legion. Between this and the 'future soldier' poo poo they're really making GBS threads on everything they've traditionally stood for.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
"failure... to recognize that condition" is what jumps out at me

self-medicating with something that would trigger a breathalyzer for one of those tricky hard-to-prove illnesses?

Acas would do the obvious thing and abide by the standard that agreed-upon doctors get to say whether or not a condition exists, the union would obviously disagree. And agreed-upon procedures would probably not detail what to do in the scenario of a persistently disputed diagnosis, leading to accusations of failure to adhere to procedure plus accusing Acas of rigidity. This would fit the details released thus far.

Insofar as the purpose of a non-disruptive strike is to appeal to wider support, however, I think medical confidentiality principles have doomed such an intention from the get-go.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Ddraig posted:

I often wonder what the legacy of the dead of WW1 would be. Why exactly they gave their lives to fight a pointless war that did nothing but create another world war, and was merely a political dickwaving contest.

We know for certain it wasn't to end war, to secure freedom, to protect the country or even bring peace to the world, but we've finally found it out was ultimately to flog cheap poo poo on behalf of Sainsbury's.

I never thought I'd say this, but gently caress the British Legion. Between this and the 'future soldier' poo poo they're really making GBS threads on everything they've traditionally stood for.

It did go part of the way to changing the political landscape so war on that scale could never happen again, even if WW2 finished the job.

I think someone mentioned in a previous UKMT how the original management (or whatever you want to call it) died off and were replaced with people who didn't fight in WW1, weren't subject to the recruitment propaganda, etc, and everything sort of went off message, not because of that alone, but because of their allowing the media to take hold of the message.

That future soldier bullshit could not be any more offensive to someone who signed up for the trenches based on essentially the same narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So Stormont appear to have criminalised lap dancing. :wtc:

• Locked thread