Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I always thought that it was really cool when games had an in-game news source that commented on what's happening in the game world.

Earthbound had the hotel dude who would read you the newspaper:

Deus Ex had several datacubes and some cool images of in game newspapers, something replicated in the sequel and prequel:

And who can forget the Fallout series' use of radio news?

What are some other good examples of journalism in games being used to enhance the atmosphere (as opposed to just using a codex or whatever)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I meant to post this in Imp Zone but I guess it's fine here. There are a lot of really cool ways that players can be exposed to the world inside of video games and news "in game" is a good one.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I like you.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

:swoon:

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
also that one reporter you could keep punching in every mass effect game

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Get Innocuous! posted:

also that one reporter you could keep punching in every mass effect game

Yeah, the ambient news in those games was pretty rad. Didn't the Bioshock games do some similar stuff as well? Not with the punching part but with the games journalism part. It's been way too long since I've played one though.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
LA Noire had some nifty flashback sequences that sort of relates the article you are reading instead of making you read a bunch of text, which is an interesting way to handle "show, don't tell" in terms of news papers in video games.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Widestancer posted:

What are some other good examples of journalism in games being used to enhance the atmosphere (as opposed to just using a codex or whatever)?

Arcanum had newspapers, I think some of the later ones generated in response to your quest decisions.
Hitman:Blood money end mission newspaper was pretty sweet too.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Hitman: Blood Money also had very nice Newspaper thingies at the end, with a bit of backstories, random other stuff, etc., that you could zoom around and read. Very nice touch.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Deus Ex also came with a copy of that newspaper with small bits of backstory. Not only a perfect trinket, but also one of the last times we got that sort of thing, given that a year or two later game boxes would finally be standardized and shrunk down and no longer had room. And then a few years after that, along comes Steam, digital takes off the next year, etc.

Widestancer posted:

Yeah, the ambient news in those games was pretty rad. Didn't the Bioshock games do some similar stuff as well? Not with the punching part but with the games journalism part. It's been way too long since I've played one though.

Not really, just audio diaries. Though BS Infinite also had those film reel viewers, but they were historical and weren't reflecting Booker's actions.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pizza Tycoon had newspapers as not only something you could put ads in, but who would display information about what sort of food was now "in" or expensive at the moment, plus stuff like what you'd see in Sim City 2000 with for instance a drunkard who had to have his alcohol-blood level measured, as in they measured how much blood was in his alcohol-stream.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective came with several newspapers you could read through to find out clues and events related to the game.

They were really well done and pretty cool. Although I was like 5 so I don't think I could read very well but my dad helped.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
That one radio guy in Spec Ops constantly making fun of your flagrant murder was pretty great.

Him signing along to the helicopter chase scene was one of my favorite scenes from that game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2epElvGf0c

Factory Davey fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 7, 2014

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

cute anime girl
Feb 14, 2014

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Someone say Journalism?

Also Valkyria Chronicles has a bunch of written reports by said reporter and purchasing some of her articles actually gave you extra backstory missions and cutscenes which was really neat. Seeing your main Anti-Tank guy get hype about Vegetables is a thing to witness.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Pokémons Sapphire and Ruby had journalists who would take interviews with you, the main character! It was super nice seeing your randomly chosen words on TV.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

• Locked thread