Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I tried the 'Strike me down if...' tirade. Doesn't appear to be working.

I did just get some static discharge however.

God? Is that you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Acid Haze posted:

There is a movie called Heaven Is For Real and it's based on a true story. Pretty sure that means God is for real too, man.

It was such a good film that even ardent Christian hatelove it.

redstormpopcorn posted:

My (incredibly limited) understanding of the theories surrounding the Big Bang, and "time" being relative to distance and motion have indicated to me: the concepts of "before" and "first" may not really exist as typically considered when discussing an incalculably dense singularity containing (OR WAS IT?) the entire mass of the Universe.

Its more we can only define the beginning as "What is observable". There could have been plenty going on before the big bang, but we don't know what or how, so we work with what we can see and the evidence we have.

Everything before is "We just don't know"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

There must be a God who is testing me with these homosexual urges, because if there's not then that would mean I'm gay and I can't be gay.

...this sounds like a familiar story. Don't we have a thread in D&D about someone who is gay but only his love of Jesus keeps him from wandering off the path of truth?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zeitgueist posted:

Can I suggest The God Delusion by Dick Dorkins?

As an Athiest: Please don't read Dawkins or Hitchens for insight into anything but Militant Athiesm. They are pretty bad....

(I know you are being sarcastic)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zeitgueist posted:

Dorkins is so militant he hasn't published anything that wasn't a pop-atheism book for decades.

I used to like the guy back when I was young and dumb, also I liked libertarians. Much like libertarianism, the easiest way to ruin it for you is to learn more about him.

Pretty much. I have some of his works on Evolutionary Biology. But someone gave me some copies of his Athiesm works and I had to set them down and walk away. Pretty bad.

Even if Dawkins/Hitchens criticism is valid, they approach if from the 'burn your bridges' front, its a terrible idea. That and his Islamaphobia freaks me the gently caress out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Also, leftism. Seems kinda nice at first, but then you get a little more exposed to it, and yeeesh!

Oh shutup. The alternative being Rightism which would be having you put to death for being a non-sexually active gay person regardless of your dedication to the Catholic Church.

Or better yet, chemical castration.

Leftism is probably one of the only reasons the church has made the progress it has towards equality towards gays.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 3, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Maybe people are less prone to rebellion because they are happier

Man, you would've never made it in the Catholic Church prior to the 20th century.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

QuoProQuid posted:

My understanding of the science and theories surrounding the Big Bang is a little vague, so I'm not sure I can respond to redstorm's point or correct his presentation. The fact that the main developers of the Big Bang Theory were Catholic priests suggests to me that there is an explanation that at least fits within the Catholic understanding of God. I could be wrong though. Does anyone know how Lemaître might have responded?

One. Georges Lemaitre of the proposers behind the big bang theory was a catholic priest, but that had no actual bearing on his observations, and the actual work was done by Edwin Hubble alongside work done by Vesto Slipher. Religious groups have tried to both imply that the big bang theory implies a creator, others have argued it makes the idea of a creator redundant.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Berk Berkly posted:

And Inflation Theory sort of makes the idea of a unmoving mover even more redundant, or at least gives no special status or purpose to our Universe. We aren't the only possible outcome and likely not the only outcome as there could be actually infinite, different Universes popping into and sometimes out of existence with no intrinsic purpose or motivation. It is just how reality works.

Trying to proscribe some whim or intention upon it is just us projecting our egos and wishful thoughts.

Yup. Its just more 'privileged reference frames'. Ethnocentrism at its finest.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Fact: when most of you are elderly, you will believe in God.

And pigs will fly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

Yes it's called fear, do you love to be governed by it?

Well, he does think he is a sociopath that is only kept righteous by the grace of god.

Oh, and all us unbelievers are sociopaths too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

QuoProQuid posted:

His beliefs had no bearing on his observations but his observations would have had a an effect on his beliefs. I don't pretend to completely understand Big Bang Theory, but Lemaître remaining a Catholic priest after developing the theory with Hibble and Slipher and the Catholic Church being one of the main groups to popularize the theory suggests either that the Big Bang Theory can't be used to discredit theism or that both would be able to explain away any apparent inconsistency. I was asking if anyone knew what those explanations would be because I'm genuinely not sure.

No, I'm pretty sure this is just you. He was a priest before the Big Bang, he'd be a priest after discovering it because his work wasn't some attempt to validate his beliefs.

You are reading too much into his work.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

If the universe "just exists" without a creator, that sure would be strange! Why did the Big Bang occur out of nothing? "It just did?" And soon the universe will be ruined by the heat death, and its entire inhabitable existence will be an incidental blip from the context of eternity? How strange.

What is so strange about it?

Reality is really strange. So this is in line with reality.

I mean, you will die eventually, and long before the heat death of the universe. Death is strange. But it still happens.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 4, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

It'd be weird if stuff just existed with no explanation, so obviously it was all spun out of nothing by something that just exists with no explanation.

Turtles, all the way down.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

WMain00 posted:

I'm also agnostic, but I believe that God is the Universe. The manifestation of life is the Universe attempting to understand itself.

So you follow the Einstein interpretation of god, in that god is simply the order of the universe at large?

Kopijeger posted:

Why would a inanimate object or a collection of such have any need or desire to understand itself?

Technically life is a collection of inanimate chemicals that through various reactions and lots of time became self aware.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SHISHKABOB posted:

go land on the moon and tell me the universe is awesome for life :lol:

Its hardly proof against a universe filled with life. Its like saying because you don't see life on the first stepping stone in your garden, it must be lifeless.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SHISHKABOB posted:

There's a lot more than a few stepping stones out there that are barren of life!

Not to mention most space is filled with uh hydrogen atoms haha, ain't no life there either.

Yes, because apparently SHISHKABOB has searched the millions of billions of galaxies and stars and found them wanting.

Thanks for letting us know, we'll call off the search.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SHISHKABOB posted:

"oh but we don't care about EMPTY SPACE" oh well then maybe you shouldn't say "the universe is good for life- wow!" because MOST OF IT IS NOT GOOD FOR LIFE.

Did I say that? Following Drake's Equation, there SHOULD be life elsewhere in the galaxy, its far better to say that we don't know that there isn't life elsewhere than to say that there is no way life exists elsewhere.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Oh so you're saying that there's possible life floating around in the endless tracts of interstellar and intergalactic space?

Very possible, although we don't have any evidence for it yet.

But at the end of the day, our small planet and its life in the grand scheme of the cosmos is not proof of a creator or privilege.
We may just be a statistical anomaly in the cosmos, but more than likely that is all we are.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SHISHKABOB posted:

Whoah WHOAH whoah where are you going. I'm just saying that most of the universe is inhospitable. I made no claims about "is there life???????"

Sure the earth is awesometastic to live on, but go a hundred kilometers away from it and you're dead!

So? Guess we better go nowhere. Stay here guys, no reason to leave EuropeEarth, nothing to see or do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SHISHKABOB posted:

lol why would you think that, that's loving retarded. I think you're making some unfounded assumptions about my thoughts and what I'm trying to get across.

I think you are shitposting. But, it could just be me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Bro, I hate to break it to you, but God can just sit back and wait because he's already succeeded in trying to kill everybody by making them mortal. He's just murdering you through the slow process of cellular oxidation.

Why didn't he make the chemical process of cellular life more friendly to his creations!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I stand by the Catch 22 ethos that everything and everyone is out to kill you at all times. Even your own body is trying to kill you.

drat Cancer and Oxygen consumption

JawKnee posted:

vestigial organic structures in humans

boom, god as perfect designer disproven.

Wisdom teeth

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Space Whale posted:

In HElium we have eternal life huh?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ernest Hemingway posted:

The logic is actually quite sound - you can't really reject the argument on the ground of its axioms (I didn't invent modal logic). And no, this argument can't be used to prove the existence of magical penis unicorns. Necessary existence is a trait that can only be possessed by God.

Okay, prove it outside of a metaphysical 'What if' argument.

Otherwise, while we cannot disprove/prove god, claiming that what ifs make him a reality is no more true.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ernest Hemingway posted:

And so far I'm submitting that we CAN prove God. Which means that if you don't prove me wrong by Sunday you all have to go to church.

Is there an invisible dragon in your garage...?

Ernest Hemingway posted:

Well, if the argument holds, I fail to see how the sort of argument it is (metaphysical, or otherwise) affects the strength of its conclusion.

Are you asking for an argument based on empirical evidence? I'm afraid I don't have one (no one does).

Yep. No one does. Not even you. So arguing that you have PROVEN god while NOT proving god is a worthless exercise in circular logic.

If you believe in god. Good. Good for you. Don't try to sell it to us as 'proven' though, because in that case its no more proven than any child's imaginary friend or any other 'belief' that requires nothing more than positive thinking.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ernest Hemingway posted:

Now, when we're talking about necessary/contingent existence the picture becomes difference. There is no possible world where 1+1 does not equal 2 and no possible world with a married bachelor in it. Likewise with God.

This is called a god of the gaps argument, and its a logical fallacy. Sorry, that doesn't cut it.

Also: What the gently caress is that bolded part? That is just mind numbingly bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps

Ernest Hemingway posted:

You're thinking in terms of existence/non-existence and not in terms of necessary existence/contingent existence - your conception of the perfect cookie might include it's existence - but as Kant established, existence is not something that can be predicated onto something- i.e. regardless of what qualities A consists of, it either exists or it doesn't (You can have a real or imaginary A with qualities C,B,D - but you can't have an imaginary A that also exists ) this is why "The perfect (X) argument fails to address a more refined understanding of the ontological argument. When you imagine the perfect cookie existing, you don't imagine it necessarily existing - and you couldn't because cookies can't necessarily exist (i.e. there is at least one possible world where the cookie is not on the table).

The perfect cookie doesn't exist till someone actually creates it. It IS imaginary till its actually materialized. Likewise with God. Once again: Nobody is claiming god doesn't exist and they have the proof, they are claiming that there is insufficient evidence to accept that he does, as most of the natural things attributed to him have natural answers instead of supernatural ones.

You cannot try to use a materiel object that can be formed in reality with ease as proof that a metaphysical object exists.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 10, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

By using the 'God is a necessary being you are making the watchmaker argument.

Still a very poor argument, and in no way ratifies or verifies the argument you are trying to present.

Once again, while none of us can verify/disqualify the existence of God, neither can you do so with god of the gaps and watchmaker arguments.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ernest Hemingway posted:

Far from it, actually. The watchmaker argument speaks to the notion of causality and depends on the notion of necessary causality. My argument is not about causality and when I use the word necessary, I'm using it in a different sense - i.e. it is logically contradictory to deny a necessary something.

Still missing a key part: The proof that something is necessary implies you proving this 'necessity'

You have not done that yet. Nor have you shown how it is 'logically contradictory', in fact you've done your best to make it as illogical as possible.

Keep trying. Oh, and you did indeed make a Watchmaker implication.

Ernest Hemingway posted:

Well, now you're characterizing God as a contingent entity as per a psychological approach (yes, we dreamnt God up and anthropomorphized him at some point), but you're not really addressing the issue of God as a necessary being so much as just asserting the opposite without argument. (To be fair I haven't provided an argument for God as a necessary being, it's just something I've stated).... if it helps, I'm trying to characterize the concept of God as a strictly logical concept which possesses 'necessary existence' as an essential property.

God is not a logical concept. Its a 'fill in the unknowns' concept. Stop doing that. Remember where I said you made a god of the gaps argument? You just did it again.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 11, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dzhay posted:

Actually B was specified, it was "Having property A and necessarily existing". (A&N in your terminology, I guess)

He inserted N to imply that God is an unknown necessary. Which is utter nonsense.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 11, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ernest Hemingway posted:

Oh, then it's simple - property A, unless it is a property that is an essential property of a necessary being, couldn't be attributed to a necessary being. So property A can't be just anything as "Having property A and necessarily existing" contradicts itself if property A is something that could possibly be otherwise (like an orange on your desk).

Still waiting on you to prove the necessity of this 'being' in a logical manner that doesn't involve circular logic and poorly though out pseudo-intellectualism

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ernest Hemingway posted:

You're right, I haven't (and I'm not going to!). The argument, in most cases, would have to proceed from here.

The non-controversial claim I am making is that if God were proven to be a necessary being, then the fundamental characteristic of that proof would be showing that it is logically contradictory to deny God's existence.

Congrats. You are making the logic equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and going 'LALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU'

Ernest Hemingway posted:

I think you've misunderstood me here. God, like any other concept, can be represented symbolically in logic formulations. I meant that that was how I was characterizing God in my arguments - to lead it into more of a logical analysis direction than a space-monkey-in-the-sky one.

Nope. Either you prove how he is somehow a necessary component to reality, or you stop trying to make claims you can't back.

You CLAIM he is a necessity, but then you REFUSE to prove he is a necessity.

Therefore, he is not a necessity, and you are either trolling to just making poorly through out logical arguments for the sake of it.

Ernest Hemingway posted:

I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious but I really do need you to explain how I'm doing this.

You make claims to imply god is a necessity to everyday reality and materialistic objects. This is almost exactly what the watchmaker argument is ("A Watch implies a watchmaker, therefore reality is far too complex to exist without a creator, therefore god)

Its both a Watchmaker and God of the Gaps analogy all rolled into one.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 11, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ernest Hemingway posted:

Again, I think we've misunderstood one another. I never purported to offer logical proof of God's existence (which I think is almost surely impossible), but merely to characterize a more modern take on a very inventive and compelling argument - specifically, how S5 in modal logic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S5_%28modal_logic%29) establishes that if you can convincingly characterize God as necessary being in any possible world, you have proven God's existence. I thought it was a good topic to bring into the finding out if God exists thread.

I did. I did drop the necessity claim, because I agree that it's not evidently true or something that is easy (or even possible) to prove. Which is why I'm content to remain an atheist.

I don't think you know how this actually works.

Ernest Hemingway posted:

Again, I think we've misunderstood one another. I never purported to offer logical proof of God's existence (which I think is almost surely impossible), but merely to characterize a more modern take on a very inventive and compelling argument - specifically, how S5 in modal logic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S5_%28modal_logic%29) establishes that if you can convincingly characterize God as necessary being in any possible world, you have proven God's existence. I thought it was a good topic to bring into the finding out if God exists thread.

No, it doesn't.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ernest Hemingway posted:

How so? Have I mischaracterized S5? (This is a very real possibility since I'm by no means an expert in modal logic.)
...or do you reject S5 altogether?

No, you utilized S5 correctly, but as someone pointed out earlier, you could use this logic to apply to....anything imaginary. Unicorns. Perfect Girlfriends. Anything.

quote:

The fallacies of the argument are issues which a clever theologian could fix with some rewording and addition of some other premises. However, the argument can be completely broken and made laughable by simply changing "God" to "The Most Perfect Island" (or something similar). The argument remains structurally valid (that is, nothing in the symbolic formulation of the argument is incorrect), however, we come to the laughable conclusion that "The Most Perfect Island" must exist. You could also replace "God" with "Unicorns" and define "Unicorns" as "that than which no greater horse can be conceived". We now have an argument for the existence of unicorns, another mythological creature.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ernest Hemingway posted:

I've already spoken to this. The 'that which no greater can be conceived' issue speaks to older formulations (specifically, Anselm's), and while it is by no means a trivial response, it is a basic and obvious one that has been well addressed and which loses relevance once you get into more modern formulations such as the modal approach that I've done my best to describe in this thread. It's why you're more likely to encounter 'the perfect island' response to Anselm in high school or introductory undergraduate courses than in actual philosophy discourse.

When it comes to the ontological argument, the conversation really has moved past that point.

Doesn't really prove/disprove god, nor make him a 'necessity' still. That's the problem: Proving god a necessity requires showing that he is somehow felt through a real and tangible and observable phenomenon.

That is the biggest problem with Metaphysics and why Naturalism is king: You can postulate all you want about the philosophical implications, but at the end of the day its just mental exercises with no real benefit or end

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Unless I'm missing something he's conflating necessary existence (i.e., anything that necessarily exists) with God, which still begs the question (even if you're only predicating God in this one way).

The entire logical argument is begging the question, because necessity requires some form of materialism, one way or the other.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ernest Hemingway posted:

If the aim of the ontological argument is to 'define things into existence', or predicate existence onto a contingent subject, then it surely fails... and so much has been established through Gaunilo and Kant.

The response has to be that it aims to do something else - and in the modal case it is trying to establish the possibility of a necessary being. And this being is usually characterized as something like a being "of maximum greatness", which includes an argument for why only this being could be considered a necessary being. To avoid the risk of sounding like a lunatic again, I won't elaborate, and will leave it to you to figure out why this approach wouldn't apply to Dracula or anything else that would be substituted into the 'lost island' rebuttal.

I hate to nitpick, but the argument doesn't depend on the initial assumption of God existing - it depends entirely on establishing that it is possible for God to exist. It is by no means successful in doing this. But it is important to account for this turn if one wishes to respond to it effectively - (i.e. not with the drat island argument).

Is it possible he exists? Yes. Does that make him a necessity seeing as he has no presence on this plane of existence? No.

There could be a guy named 'Bob' in another plane of existence. Unless Bob has real effect on this plane of existence, he is an unnecessary entity. He is not PART of the system that is currently a closed loop.

Defining god does not make him a reality. A possibility, sure, but that doesn't make him a necessity because he was defined. It makes him a possibility, just like its possible that suns are just really giant light bulbs and not giant fusion reactors. This is almost along the lines of what groups like Freeman On The Land argue, and it doesn't work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemen_on_the_land

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

To start with, I feel kind of bad for you because a lot of people were completely misunderstanding your argument. It was pretty clear from early on that 1. you were using "necessary" in a different way than many of the posters replying to you were and 2. that you never claimed that God was, in fact necessary (and that your logic was contigent upon that).

One thing I have to ask, though; wouldn't that logic also mean that, if God is necessary, there isn't necessarily just one God? After all, something being necessary doesn't mean that there must only be one of that something (i.e. there can be two greatest things that are of equal greatness).

quote:

Necessity is a property of statements not of objects. It doesn't make sense to claim that an existent thing is logically necessary. Existent things just are, that's all. We have no examples of necessary existence; we just have examples of necessary inferences or judgments. There can be no empirical necessities.

As Kant notes, existence is not a real predicate or property; existence is not a characteristic which can be added to the concept of the subject. Thus, the concept of necessary existence is not meaningful. (Q.v., the notes Existence Is Not a Predicate)
The idea of necessary being is unintelligible. As Hume point out, any statement concerning existence can be denied. Hume writes, "The words, therefore "necessary existence," have no meaning, or which is the same thing, none of which is consistent." Whatever we can conceive as existent, we can also conceive as nonexistent.

Nevertheless, Charles Hartshorne claims that the predicate "necessary existence" does add something the concept of God and so is a real predicate or property. E. g., "necessary existence" is distinguished from contingent existence in that necessary existence cannot not exist.

http://www.sfu.ca/~swartz/modal_fallacy.htm

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ernest Hemingway posted:

In posting in a God thread on the internet I had to be prepared for some unclear semantics... and while for brevity's sake I didn't qualify each statement (i.e. God 'qua necessary being') every step of the way, my phrasing was a little sloppy and muddled at times.

And you're right, I don't see why the logic would exclude the possibility of more than one necessary being - but the monotheist would probably respond with something like "A unified perfection is greater than a shared perfection".

Agreed. And while the linked example doesn't quite explicitly to S5 (which I believe is the trick that makes this argument a little more fun), it does employ modal qualifiers to hide the arguments critical assumption. With:

PN(G)->N(G)
PN(G)
————
N(G)

PN(G) cannot really be assumed and it's up to the person presenting the argument to convince us otherwise before we accept N(G).
However, including PN(G)->N(G) as the first premise is, I think, a delightfully clever move.

I'm not disagreeing with your use of logic, I'm just saying it doesn't really qualify god as existing or not. Its kinda why Philosophy is fun and boring at the same time, we can philosophy all we want, but it won't change reality.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Perry Mason Jar posted:

This is so wrong it hurts.

I meant about the existence of god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ernest Hemingway posted:

No. While a magical being would be capable of performing deeds we would consider scientifically impossible, her actions would still be confined to the realm of logical possibility (as I've established above) - this means that she could not destabilize proofs. Furthermore, the examples you've provided do not violate the laws that you allege they do, i.e. Christ's never ending bread basket makes no scientific sense, but is still perfectly logical. Him having one loaf in one moment, then two in the next moment, then five in the next, etc. is fundamentally different from proving that 1+1=5.

Proofs are always safe, that 's why they're proofs. Scientific laws are never safe, and that's why they're not actually laws. These statements obtain in a world with or without God.

Woah woah woah, what?

• Locked thread