Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheQkey
Apr 5, 2013

Who the hell knew this existed, right?

Hi there, I’m TheQkey, and today I’m bringing you a wonderfully quirky, goofy, and kind-of terrible game you’ve most likely never heard of (unless you’re Polish). Presented for your convenience in video with subtitled commentary.

Here’s what the back of the box has to say about the game:
“Wouldn’t it be cool if there was a world where people actually paid you to hang out with beautiful women and rescue kidnapped animals? Where ugly tropical shirts were still in fashion? Where obnoxious behavior was admired and even rewarded? Well, my jungle friends, there is. It’s the world of Ace Ventura. And only a loo-OOO-ooo-ooo-ser would NOT want in there.”

Ace Ventura: The CD-Rom Game was made by a little company called 7th Level whose greatest financial achievement was making “Timon and Pumbaa’s Jungle Games”. Later, they came back together as Red Fly Studio, did some extra work on Borderlands, and eventually released the cult classic “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows”. Good for them!

As for the game itself, it was actually based on a staggeringly unfunny Ace Ventura: Pet Detective cartoon, which aired for 3 seasons around the same time as The Mask cartoon did. Since it ran on channels like Nickelodeon and Jetix, the humor had to scaled back a bit from what it was like in the movies, leading to most episodes having the comedic appeal of “A Serbian Film”.
7th Level, however, wanted their product to satisfy both the kids and the fans of the movies, and so they made sure that the humor in the game jumped dizzily between “haha silly animal highjinx” and stuff that would cause your hand to hover over the power button in case mom came in to check what all the moaning was about.

Video footage with subtitled commentary.

I’ve decided against the screenshot LP format for several reasons. The game has some pretty goofy animations and voice acting I’d like to show off, and having to include 5+ video clips with every update just seems like a lot of misplaced effort.
There’s also the problem of the game being pretty drat short. If you know what you’re doing and don’t screw around too much, you can be over and done with the whole thing in about 2 hours. In screenshot form, that would mean the LP would only be longer than 3 updates if I were to pedantically point out every single animation error or illogical puzzle. By doing it through video, I can rely on the fact that you all have eyes (excuse my ableism) and don’t need some internet jerk to point out every obvious little thing.
And finally, I honestly don’t have quite enough to say about the game to fill out an entire screenshot update.

Now, this being an adventure game, there’s some backtracking to be done even if you know ahead of time what you need and where you need it. Instead of having you sit there and watch Ace take 10 minutes to get from A to B, I’ll just edit that out and make it obvious I’ve done so.

And now that we’re done with all that, break out your Bad LP Bingo cards and enjoy the videos!

TheQkey fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Oh my god I didn't even know they had a game about this and it's based on the cartoon too :allears:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Holy hell that's some badly timed humor. Or attempts at humor. By the game that is, your work is great for what you have to work with.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Ah, I played a demo of this game from a magazine and couldn't even beat it, even as a point'n'click adventures lover I could only stand so many "I can't do that".

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Oh yes yes. The polish translation was a huge news back then, even if the cartoon itself wasn't in syndication (The Mask was, odd enough). I really wanted this game as a kid, for some stupid reason, probably because I liked the movie (which now I found largely unfunny) and it was a time for good cartoony adventure games (Wacki, Teenagent, Toonstruck, Koala Lumpur, even Leisure Suit Larry was in this style).

Watching the LP I clearly remember the polish voices, and now I think our VA put more effort in that whole "acting" thing. Bookmarking and waiting for more.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I think I played the demo of this? Some sort of Ace Ventura adventure game thing.

It certainly wasn't this part, though.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The demo is Ace's apartment, where you can click everywhere and animals pop out to do something silly :3 which is probably the main reason my poor father bought this worthless game for me because it looked like rest of the game had this level of interactivity and animation

TheQkey
Apr 5, 2013

laserghost posted:

it was a time for good cartoony adventure games (Wacki, Teenagent, Toonstruck, Koala Lumpur, even Leisure Suit Larry was in this style).

It seems you've had better luck than me, since I just kept accidentally buying games made by the Simon the Sorcerer people, including one where most of the plot was a kid-friendly retelling of Orwell's 1984 filled with what wikipedia calls "British Humor". One example of such, is a puzzle where you get an innocent man shot in the face by the space gestapo in order to steal his documents.
And on the topic of polish games, I'd love to Let's Play a little thing called "Skaut Kwatermaster", but so far I'm yet to find a truly stable version of the drat thing.

The next video should be up sometime between tomorrow and the day after, and it'll include a clip from the actual Ace Ventura cartoon as a way of making own writing seem less poo poo by comparison. At this pace, I should be done with the game in about 5 more updates.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

you know I remember watching this cartoon as a kid, there were only a couple episodes that I actually liked and it was on before Mad Jack the Pirate and it was Saturday morning, so you watched whatever the gently caress was on.

This game seems quite similar to the show but there seems to be something off. It feels slower than the show, but maybe that's just because of the time the game was made and all of the dialogue is delivered really awkwardly due to load times or something.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

TheQkey posted:

And on the topic of polish games, I'd love to Let's Play a little thing called "Skaut Kwatermaster", but so far I'm yet to find a truly stable version of the drat thing.

I've got the CD version from Gambler, will check later how it responds to DOSBox treatment.

TheQkey
Apr 5, 2013

Aces High posted:

This game seems quite similar to the show but there seems to be something off. It feels slower than the show, but maybe that's just because of the time the game was made and all of the dialogue is delivered really awkwardly due to load times or something.

Actually, the game is kind of slow by itself, but some of its issues come from how badly it was programmed. When 7th Level were synchronizing the cutscenes with the music and voice lines, they adjusted the timing for loading times. The problem is, they apparently only considered the minimal recommended specs, so if you're running anything faster or slower than what it says on the box, you're looking at around 1-2 second difference between the visuals and sounds. I fixed some of it in post, but if it still feels too sluggish I could try tinkering with it some more.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've played some bad adventure games, bit this may be the most obnoxious thing I've ever seen. :psyduck:

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
This seems, like... Uniquely terrible, without being completely abusive to its players.

I'll be looking forward to watching this.

TheQkey
Apr 5, 2013

No, it's still not funny.

Sorry for being late with this one, but it turns out that making this game into something I’d be willing to show on the internet is way more taxing than I expected it to be. Future updates won’t be coming out on any set schedule, but I’ll try to keep them frequent enough to satisfy your thirst for this game’s trademark humor.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I'll have to concede, for what is supposed to be a cheap licensed game this game has a surprising amount of animations, almost every single important action has an unique one, other similar games would be recycling most of them already.

Is that... thing with the baby whale the only content blocked by the parental control so far?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I think this game is going to make me forgive Rufus and the Deponia series. Send help.

Edit: Aaaaaah welp

i don't understand

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 6, 2014

TheQkey
Apr 5, 2013

Petiso posted:

I'll have to concede, for what is supposed to be a cheap licensed game this game has a surprising amount of animations, almost every single important action has an unique one, other similar games would be recycling most of them already.

Is that... thing with the baby whale the only content blocked by the parental control so far?

Actually, nothing so far has been blocked by parental control, including the whale part. The first real difference will come early into the next episode

I should mention that I'm playing a re-release of the game, which comes with a few unique features. For starters, I don't believe the Parental Block was enabled by default in the original release of the game. Also, 7th Level decided that the whole "Load and Save Game" mechanic was too complex for some young minds, so my version of the game came without the ability to manually save or restore progress. This means that once you complete the game, you will be forever stuck on the victory screen just before the credit sequence until your tech-savvy uncle comes to visit and manually deletes the .sav file from the game directory.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

So what does the Ace's wristwatch in the rerelease version? Also, if I remember, certain puzzles and arcade segments can be skipped by pressing CTRL and W (definitely the underwater segment and the infamous wire puzzle)

ninja edit: oh, I see, they actually removed the writing save/load on the buttons to these options, wow

laserghost fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 6, 2014

TheQkey
Apr 5, 2013

laserghost posted:

So what does the Ace's wristwatch in the rerelease version? Also, if I remember, certain puzzles and arcade segments can be skipped by pressing CTRL and W (definitely the underwater segment and the infamous wire puzzle)

ninja edit: oh, I see, they actually removed the writing save/load on the buttons to these options, wow

I'm not sure about the other minigmaes, but yeah, that cheat combination was the only reason I was ever able to see the game's ending. However, for the purpose of the LP, I will do the unimaginable and actually attempt to complete the wire puzzle by hand, without any guides.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well, after seeing that bit of the cartoon I can't say they weren't faithful to the source. Just that they probably shouldn't have been.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 23, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tiggum posted:

Well, after seeing that bit of the cartoon I can't day they weren't faithful to the source. Just that they probably shouldn't have been.

Yep, this is pretty on-point terrible cartoon writing and animation. But I like to think of it as an example of convergent evolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N.
Dec 31, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Starring Patrick Bateman.

• Locked thread