Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
My mother had this weird little tradition growing up. Every year, without fail, we'd make twelve kinds of cookies/treats/bars/whatever - because, you know, there are the twelve days of Christmas. We would make huge trays for my parents' workplaces, smaller plates for the neighbours, etc etc etc.

Well Mom's getting old, I moved away, and between distance and arthritis we don't really get a chance to do that. She stopped baking, and I took up the mantle. I already posted some of these pictures so bear with me; as I type there are pumpkin spice cookies baking away, and once they're cooled they're getting hit with brown butter frosting.

Shopping for butter:

Most of the smaller-amounts I picked up at my local Wegmans (gently caress I love that store, it's the best part of living in :911:), but for the bigger stuff I went to the local BJ's, which makes me laugh dirtily whenever I tell people I'm going to BJ's. I'm immature, whatever.

So this is what I ended up with:

Notables:
- 20lb flour
- 5lb white sugar
- 4lb light brown sugar
- 8lb unsalted butter
- 2 dozen eggs

... and a whole pile of other stuff. What I am doing with all of that is this:

Basically it's a lot of family traditions, some of my own additions, and experiments - the stollen and the pumpkin cookies are new additions.

Since my job has changed to where I now get my weekends off, and I have more vacation time than I know what to do with, I decided that at the beginning of the month I'd take my yearly time off for this. My burnout has been mighty, so when I booked these three days off to bake about three months ago, it was definitely something I was looking forward to. Just me, some form of media (Christmas carols, podcasts, Netflix, whatever) and these:

One does all the hard work, and the other just bitches and gets underfoot.

And the husband to be my quality control and dish-bitch when he's home.

Monday's achievements were pretty basic.
- doughs made for sugar cookies, chocolate sugar cookies, gingerbread, icebox cookies
- filling made for peppermint patties

I'll be posting more pictures as I go along, but let's use this thread as a place to talk about all their baking for the holidays!

As some people have asked me: Are you crazy for doing all this? I probably am, yes. But there's little better than having people look forward to what I can make. :chef:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
My family has pretty much the same tradition, every December my grandmother would just go nuts with baking. Instead of giving out wrapped presents, she'd give out cookie platters to friends and family. She'd also make a few things like stollen and strudel for the dessert on Christmas Eve. Ever since she was unable to carry on the tradition my mom carried it on, so now every year I always look forward to going home to a kitchen overflowing with homemade cookies, and maybe helping out with making several batches.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Sashimi posted:

My family has pretty much the same tradition, every December my grandmother would just go nuts with baking. Instead of giving out wrapped presents, she'd give out cookie platters to friends and family. She'd also make a few things like stollen and strudel for the dessert on Christmas Eve.
Oh god. My grandma used to make tons of cookies and she always made homemade stollen bread for Christmas morning's breakfast and me, her, my mom and maybe my uncle would ever eat it. Nobody has tried making it since she passed a few years ago and it hasn't been the same :smith:

Princess Nebula
Aug 15, 2013

Prancerising in your dreams.
You've officially inspired me to go for the gold and get the billion pound butter from Costco.

So far this season I've done white chocolate candy cane fudge, pumpkin bread, pumpkin nutella pie (gingersnap crust :circlefap:), lemon sweet rolls (not seasonal, whatever), and an experimental non-dessert breakfast hashbrown thing that literally turned out black. Don't ask. Up this weekend are chai spice cookies and blueberry sweet rolls with a cream type glazey glaze.

I made pumpkin cookies last year. Beware of runnyness. I still have flashbacks of flat, sizzling sadness all over the cookie sheet.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I polled everyone I'm close to for favorites and now I have about 20 different cookie recipes I want to make this year. I'm trying to decide whether I want to pare the list down or just make lots of small batches. I have the last several weeks of the year off so I'll have tons of time. I love holiday baking. :3:

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
Mass buying flour talk:

The best deal on flour that I've found is King Arthur AP in 25lb bags at Costco for $14.99

Although during the holidays last year Market Basket (for those in MA/NH) had KA AP 5lb bags for $1.99

Aaaand if you're driving through White River Junction VT you can get their professional flours like Sir Galahad etc. in 50lb bags for around $30

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004

Princess Nebula posted:

You've officially inspired me to go for the gold and get the billion pound butter from Costco.

So far this season I've done white chocolate candy cane fudge, pumpkin bread, pumpkin nutella pie (gingersnap crust :circlefap:), lemon sweet rolls (not seasonal, whatever), and an experimental non-dessert breakfast hashbrown thing that literally turned out black. Don't ask. Up this weekend are chai spice cookies and blueberry sweet rolls with a cream type glazey glaze.

I made pumpkin cookies last year. Beware of runnyness. I still have flashbacks of flat, sizzling sadness all over the cookie sheet.

Goddamn that all sounds awesome. I especially want to get my mouth around the blueberry sweet rolls.

My pumpkin spice cookies actually turned out really well - no runny messes anywhere. It felt more like a cake batter than a cookie batter to me, but it held up under baking and they're quite soft and chewy. The brown butter frosting is a nice touch.

Third Murderer posted:

I polled everyone I'm close to for favorites and now I have about 20 different cookie recipes I want to make this year. I'm trying to decide whether I want to pare the list down or just make lots of small batches. I have the last several weeks of the year off so I'll have tons of time. I love holiday baking. :3:

I'd totally do 20 small batches, one recipe each. You can find your favourites in there and add them to your 'oh can you bake something for this event' arsenal. (Yes, I have one of those.)

Pictures later tonight, somewhere along the way I've started coming down with a cold so energy levels are lagging. gently caress!

Princess Nebula
Aug 15, 2013

Sehkmet posted:

I'd totally do 20 small batches, one recipe each. You can find your favourites in there and add them to your 'oh can you bake something for this event' arsenal. (Yes, I have one of those.)

Mine consists of almost entirely bars. Bars this bars that. Minimal mess. I love cookies, but the patience and repeated in and out and roll more and now this batch in and out totally kills my do-more-in-the-beginning-to-be-lazy nature. :wooper:

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
I honestly HATE doing roll-out cookies, but I like decorating them. Go figure!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Hooray cookie thread! I love hearing about other peoples' cookies. I usually only make a few kinds, but it's still fun. I always have to make nutmeg noels, which are a family favorite. They're a soft, chewy sugar cookie with a bunch of fresh nutmeg, rolled in colored sanding sugar and more nutmeg. We tell people they taste like eggnog. Here's the recipe, but add more nutmeg lol http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/NUTMEG-NOEL-COOKIES-50014021

Also have to make those PB kiss cookies, you know the soft kind you stick the hershey kiss into. I usually use Dove chocolate squares though, it's a little better quality (and also larger because more chocolate = good).

I love Smitten Kitchen's 7-layer cookies, too. They take time but they're not that hard, at least not as hard as they look. And everyone will be super impressed. Plus marzipan+chocolate+apricot is the best. http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/12/seven-layer-cookies/

Then I sometimes make a couple others, but they rotate. Hopefully I'll get a few more ideas in this thread.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I learned today that costco has 4 pounds of butter for super cheap. Keep in mind, they come in 1 pound blocks, which is 4 sticks' worth each.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
Yeah, that's why I went to the Costco equivalent that we have around here - the butter I got was 9.99 for four pounds. Wasn't a bad deal since usually a pound runs $3.50+ in regular stores. Butter's getting really expensive around here, which sucks.

Princess Nebula
Aug 15, 2013

I've made these and this this season. The latter turned out horribly ugly but loving delicious. The cranberries didn't all explode correctly and I had tried to arrange the apple slices into an angry face for a work Halloween bake-off. I thought, "Hey, I'll make it look like a jack-o-lantern face with the apple slices and the cranberries will make it look like it got shot!" No. Nope. Looked like I didn't know how to bake a cake.

I'm also convinced that the reason I can't cook worth a cat's sad lick is because I can (sort of kind of almost) bake. When I tried to make a non-dessert breakfast last week ("I'll make Thanksgiving breakfast for the bf! It'll be adorable and he'll wake up to a delicious breakfast before he has to cook all day"), this hell happened. The picture on the left is what it was supposed to be. The picture on the right is when I happened.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Hahaha it's ok I think this has happened to most of us. Sometimes I experiment to make old family favorites dairy free, and it is ungodly. I think we just have to find new family favorites.

Those snickerdoodles look amazing. I want to make them, but I don't think there is suck a thing as dairy free white chocolate.

Princess Nebula
Aug 15, 2013

Echeveria posted:

Hahaha it's ok I think this has happened to most of us. Sometimes I experiment to make old family favorites dairy free, and it is ungodly. I think we just have to find new family favorites.

Those snickerdoodles look amazing. I want to make them, but I don't think there is suck a thing as dairy free white chocolate.

Boom though no ingredients list or the raw thang.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Thanks :) I found a recipe for white chocolate, so I am just phoning my local organic grocer to see if they carry it. And then I will make chocolate...

I'm sure my husband LOVES my kitchen misadventures.

Princess Nebula
Aug 15, 2013

At least he gets some goodies at the end of it?

My boyfriend fears when I bake, because I often turn into a raging oval office. I'm trying to be better about it, but it still works best if he just sits outside of the kitchen or I have a dough already prepped and ready to just roll/cut/what have you.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Sehkmet posted:

Yeah, I think this is what I'm going to try to do. About half the recipes are things I've made before, and I've already tested one or two of the new ones anyway, but I love the idea of having a huge variety.

Are there any generic tips for doing cut-out cookies? I want to make gingerbread men this year but I rarely do cut-outs so I don't have much practice with them.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
Definitely chill your dough for a bit before rolling it out to give it a chance to firm up. Usually chilling it for an hour or two is best, although some recipes say do it overnight. Gingerbread benefits from this to let the flavours really come out (and is even better when it has a chance to sit for a bit).

Don't overdo the flour; if you have a lot of trouble with sticking try putting a piece of wax paper on top of your dough and rolling, sometimes that can help.

If you have a super-buttery dough, sticking your pans in the fridge for 10-20 minutes can help to keep the cookies from 'melting' and losing their defined edges a bit.

Don't push on the dough like it owes you money - light pressure is best, enough to get some spreading but pushing too hard makes it uneven, which means lopsided cookies and bad baking times (one side too cooked, the other side not enough).

PATIENCE DEAR GOD PATIENCE. I usually curse so much when rolling out cookies, but if you're steady and patient it isn't a total mess.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
So hey I've been remiss in not posting things I've been making.

The other day I made salted caramels.

We have white sugar, corn syrup, and sea salt (grey sea salt from Penzey's). This gets melted down, stirred and cooked until it hits 305F, I believe.

This is just after adding some warmed-up heavy cream to the sugar - do it in parts or it'll boil over; I almost burned myself with steam here.

Cook it until it looks something like this, stirring constantly once it hits 245F until it reaches 260F for softer caramels, and 265F for harder caramels. The original recipe I used is orange-scented caramels, but I stuck with vanilla since that seems to be the favourite. A lot of the people I know aren't huge orange fans, so since I can't eat this myself, vanilla it is.

Pour into 9x13" pan with foil - make sure you either spray it with non-stick cooking spray, or butter it, or SOMETHING. Otherwise you just spent twenty minutes on screwing yourself over. Later on when you cut this, you can use a greased-up knife (sharp one, damnit) and then wrap these individually in little squares of wax paper. This is when having a spare pair of hands is really useful.

I also made fudge.

I have a confession to make about my fudge, though. It's really the most ghetto thing I make because it's at most five ingredients, but it's also the thing that gets devoured before anything else on the cookie plate, as a rule. Everyone loves it, and I can crank a batch out in five minutes (plus time for cooling).

Three cups chocolate chips (I tend to use semi-sweet, I bet a mix of semi and dark would be good, or something), a can of Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk, splash of vanilla, dash of salt. Add chopped nuts if you want; I tend to make one batch with chopped walnuts (about a cup) and one without.

I line the pans with tinfoil for easy removal, because I need them pretty much immediately after these cool.

Sugar cookies. I will always hate roll-outs but I can't deny how adorable they look when they're done.

See? Adorable.

Most people know these as 'Mexican wedding cookies' or 'melting moments' or something - cornstarch and flour, lots of butter, rolled around in powdered sugar afterwards. I found my enrober is really useful for the rolling in sugar part, actually, and I didn't break all the drat cookies.

Action shot of linzer cookies waiting to go in - I love how light these taste with the orange zest, the seedless raspberry jam that will eventually go in the middle, and the cinnamon. It's a change from a lot of the heavier stuff I tend to stock on my plates.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I've been experimenting with Oatmeal cookies. My mom makes a fantastic chocolate chip and MnM walnut cookie (the MnM's are very important, does not taste the same without), but they are made with magic and unicorns and too precious to my family to even try to replicate on my own. So I'm going for spicy fruit!

The first batch turned out nicely in the texture, size, fruitiness, and perfectly cooked department, but the recipe called for 1 and 1/4 cups light brown sugar alone. The cookies were a little mollasassy, and not really sweet enough. In another weird experiment, I made ghetto royal icing and drizzled that on top. Tastes better now, but not perfect. Also in the spice department, the first batch was not up to par. I used fresh grated nutmeg and ginger, and powdered cinnamon that i'm trying to use up. A teaspoon of each spice went into the batch. They did not come out spicy enough for my tastes. The dried NZ apples and raisins, however, were delicious.

Since this cooking was inspired by dad going 'Hey go make a bunch of cookies for the firemen's xmas', I made a double batch today with some simple fixes. First, I used a cup of light brown sugar, and a cup of white. That was exactly what the recipe needed, turned out fine. I doubled the spices, and found what I think was missing from the original recipe. CLOVES. The cloves certainly kicked it up a notch into 'appreciably spiced' territory. Not aggressive, but certainly enough to make you go, "Hey, spice cookies!".

However, I wandered into idiot territory. My mom was being a little weird about me using the dried apple slices we bought at Trader Joes. Just oddly possessive, we can always go out and get more, they are not that badly expensive. But she was making enough fuss that I decided to try an alternative she suggested (though I should have known better), fresh Honeycrisp apples. I cored, peeled, and spiraled them in our funky oldschool apple device, chopped them, and added a cup to a cup of raisins. Then I put the spices on them and set them aside while I creamed the butter and sugar and did other mixy things. The dough was fine, very thick and not overly wet at all, so I thought I got away with it.

Nnnnope. Almost everything that was right about the first batch I made two days earlier was wrong with this one. They spread like crazy on the baking sheet, and refused to hold any cookie shape. The second baking went in a few minutes longer, and held their shape a bit better, but not by much. So what do I do with the more crumbly batch? I gotta salvage this somehow.

I grease my favorite 9x9 up and pack the cookies in there, then set it in a 300f oven for 20 minutes. Then I let it cool completely. Slice. Yay cookie bars!

So it didn't turn out exactly how I wanted, but a lesson was learned. The second batch TASTED amazing by the way, just refused to let society determine it's baking identity I guess. The first batch is very pretty as oatmeal cookies go, just not up to my standards for flavor.

Now, the recipe for Highly Suspect Oatmeal Fruit Spice Cookies.

1 1/4 cup margarine
3/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
3/4 cup White sugar
1 Egg
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract

1 1/2 cup AP Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon (fresh ground if possible)
1 teaspoon Nutmeg (natch)
1 teaspoon Cloves (yadda)
2 teaspoon Fresh Ground Ginger (I have not experimented with Ginger Powder as a substitute, beware! You may need to reduce cooking time and spice amount!)
3 cups Quick Oats
1/2 cup diced Dried Apples
1/2 cup Raisins (other DRIED fruits of similar measurements can be substituted for fun times!)

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)

-In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar thoroughly. Beat in the egg, then stir in the vanilla. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg, ADD IN SMALL AMOUNTS into the creamed mixture. Finally, stir in the quick oats and dried fruit. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto a lightly greased cookie sheet, or one coated with non-stick foil.

-Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool before stuffing into mouf. Leave some for other people.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 6, 2014

Princess Nebula
Aug 15, 2013

Your sugar cookie roll-out pic belongs on a porn blog.

Also, Linzer cookies. :h:

Fudge I never feel bad about for how simple and drat delicious it is. My candy cane fudge is: white chocolate chips (I always seem to burn/brown them in the pot, maybe a REALLY low heat while stirring?), candy canes, peppermint extract, condensed milk, and some semisweet choco chippies on the top. and more candy canes because HOLIDAY damnitall.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Sehkmet posted:

I also made fudge.

I have a confession to make about my fudge, though. It's really the most ghetto thing I make because it's at most five ingredients, but it's also the thing that gets devoured before anything else on the cookie plate, as a rule. Everyone loves it, and I can crank a batch out in five minutes (plus time for cooling).

This is exactly how I've always made fudge. I don't even know the "real" way, or if this isn't it.

quote:

Most people know these as 'Mexican wedding cookies' or 'melting moments' or something - cornstarch and flour, lots of butter, rolled around in powdered sugar afterwards. I found my enrober is really useful for the rolling in sugar part, actually, and I didn't break all the drat cookies.

Can we have the recipe for these? With proportions, I mean. They look really good.

edit:

Princess Nebula posted:

Fudge I never feel bad about for how simple and drat delicious it is. My candy cane fudge is: white chocolate chips (I always seem to burn/brown them in the pot, maybe a REALLY low heat while stirring?), candy canes, peppermint extract, condensed milk, and some semisweet choco chippies on the top. and more candy canes because HOLIDAY damnitall.

I was actually taught to do it in a double boiler (I just put a pot on a slightly smaller pot), maybe try that if you aren't already?

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013
Thanks to this thread I made Mexican Wedding Cookies and peppermint patties!
They were both delicious, I've never had either before because I live in England and had never even heard of them.

I also tried making salted fudge brownies but didn't put enough salt on top, and feel weird about salting a cooked brownie.

Princess Nebula
Aug 15, 2013

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

Thanks to this thread I made Mexican Wedding Cookies and peppermint patties!
They were both delicious, I've never had either before because I live in England and had never even heard of them.

I also tried making salted fudge brownies but didn't put enough salt on top, and feel weird about salting a cooked brownie.

The salt probably wouldn't have stuck, either, unless they were hot hot hot out of the oven.

Peppermint patties?! You don't have them?! So fresh. So delish.

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013

Princess Nebula posted:

The salt probably wouldn't have stuck, either, unless they were hot hot hot out of the oven.

Peppermint patties?! You don't have them?! So fresh. So delish.

We have After Eights which are similar I think? Dark chocolate with peppermint, but they're a lot thinner and the mint filling is more liquid-y.
I've just seen a version of peppermint patties where you dye half of the filling red and roll it up into a cylinder so it's all swirly when you cut it, might have to give that a try to make them a little snazzier.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

guppy posted:

Can we have the recipe for these? With proportions, I mean. They look really good.

She's currently busy doing flood icing, so I'll help out and post for her.

3/4 cup flour (all-purpose)
1 cup cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup powdered sugar + 3/4 cup separate
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt.
- Cream the butter and 1/2 cup of the sugar until fluffy.
- Add vanilla.
- Incorporate the flour mixture.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Knead until malleable, then dish out with a cookie scoop.
- Bake 10-15 minutes at 375 until it starts to brown at the bottom edges.
- Let cool, dredge in the 3/4 cup of powdered sugar. (Warning: They are very fragile)

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I love this thread! Yesterday I made two kinds of rugelach- one with honey and nuts and one with raspberry jam. I also made extra crispy gingersnaps. Today I will probably make chocolate peppermint bark and maybe some snowflake sugar cookies or if I am feeling really ambitious, Icelandic sugar cookies (which are made with this elaborate Quilt square set of cookie cutters I bought in Iceland).

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Sehkmet posted:

My mother had this weird little tradition growing up. Every year, without fail, we'd make twelve kinds of cookies/treats/bars/whatever - because, you know, there are the twelve days of Christmas. We would make huge trays for my parents' workplaces, smaller plates for the neighbours, etc etc etc.

Well Mom's getting old, I moved away, and between distance and arthritis we don't really get a chance to do that. She stopped baking, and I took up the mantle. I already posted some of these pictures so bear with me; as I type there are pumpkin spice cookies baking away, and once they're cooled they're getting hit with brown butter frosting.

Shopping for butter:

Most of the smaller-amounts I picked up at my local Wegmans (gently caress I love that store, it's the best part of living in :911:), but for the bigger stuff I went to the local BJ's, which makes me laugh dirtily whenever I tell people I'm going to BJ's. I'm immature, whatever.

So this is what I ended up with:

Notables:
- 20lb flour
- 5lb white sugar
- 4lb light brown sugar
- 8lb unsalted butter
- 2 dozen eggs

... and a whole pile of other stuff. What I am doing with all of that is this:

Basically it's a lot of family traditions, some of my own additions, and experiments - the stollen and the pumpkin cookies are new additions.

Since my job has changed to where I now get my weekends off, and I have more vacation time than I know what to do with, I decided that at the beginning of the month I'd take my yearly time off for this. My burnout has been mighty, so when I booked these three days off to bake about three months ago, it was definitely something I was looking forward to. Just me, some form of media (Christmas carols, podcasts, Netflix, whatever) and these:

One does all the hard work, and the other just bitches and gets underfoot.

And the husband to be my quality control and dish-bitch when he's home.

Monday's achievements were pretty basic.
- doughs made for sugar cookies, chocolate sugar cookies, gingerbread, icebox cookies
- filling made for peppermint patties

I'll be posting more pictures as I go along, but let's use this thread as a place to talk about all their baking for the holidays!

As some people have asked me: Are you crazy for doing all this? I probably am, yes. But there's little better than having people look forward to what I can make. :chef:

I hope you went to Sam's club or costco. That much stuff would probably save you 50-60 bucks if you bought in bulk.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
Yeah, the big quantities of things I went to BJ's for (Costco-esque): flour, butter, eggs, sugar, chocolate, cocoa, nuts, etc. Otherwise it'd have been nutty-expensive.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Sehkmet posted:

Yeah, the big quantities of things I went to BJ's for (Costco-esque): flour, butter, eggs, sugar, chocolate, cocoa, nuts, etc. Otherwise it'd have been nutty-expensive.

Have you ever tried ordering online for the not so big things? My wife just a buys all the groceries online and they deliver right to your dooe. Vons does it and StatersBrothers and with a coupon the delivery service is free.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

So my mom says I'm cooking the toffee I keep trying to make too fast. We're at a high altitude and I guess that fucks up candy making. My mom is a rad candy maker, so I'm heading over there and she is going to help me today. Apparently I have to slow it the gently caress down. Will post pictures if the batch I make with her turns out. And then I'm making the toffee hazelnut blondies someone posted in the picture food thread.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Echeveria posted:

So my mom says I'm cooking the toffee I keep trying to make too fast. We're at a high altitude and I guess that fucks up candy making. My mom is a rad candy maker, so I'm heading over there and she is going to help me today. Apparently I have to slow it the gently caress down. Will post pictures if the batch I make with her turns out. And then I'm making the toffee hazelnut blondies someone posted in the picture food thread.

What recipe are you doing

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I've tried a couple. First I tried one with coconut milk and it burnt. I think it was 1 cup white sugar, 1.5 cups light brown sugar, Earth Balance, and 3/4 of coconut milk. Then I simplified and I've been doing 1 cup white sugar, 1 cup earth balance, and 1 tbsp water. The internet swears that earth balance works in toffee making. Everything I try burns.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Since water boils at a lower temperature at altitude, anything with a lot of sugar burns faster. It's probably just a matter of adding extra liquid and taking the time to keep an eye on it; I'm not a candy-maker, though, just a guy who likes to bake, so my knowledge is centered on things like baking bread at 5300 feet.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Should I add water, then? I'm at 1,048 m (3,438 ft) above sea level. A friend that bakes gave me a recipe that is just water, sugar, and malt vinegar.

docviagra[bteg]
Nov 6, 2001
I'm a little later than I would usually be with this but I've tried today to bake a traditional Christmas fruitcake. There will be a celiac and two vegans knocking about over the festive period so I've followed this http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/vegan-christmas-cake. It's my first go baking like this but I decided to throw caution to the wind and make some changes..

I soaked the dried fruits (golden sultanas, currents, sour cherries, cranberries, dates etc) in a significant amount of brandy then replaced the water with brandy in the recipe, then chucked a bit more brandy in. I used a dark muscovado sugar instead of soft brown, and used a mixture of Clementine, satsuma and lemon instead of the orange. I put a bit more flour in because the brandy led to it being a bit wet. I had no mixed spice but put in ground have, nutmeg, allspice cinnamon and ginger, and a little more than specified..

The mixture tasted decent and baked in about 3.5 hours (uncovered).. It's cracked a wee bit but within tolerances and it will be iced.

It looks a wee bit darker than in this image.

E: more pics anyway

docviagra[bteg] fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 10, 2014

Princess Nebula
Aug 15, 2013

Made gingerbread cupcakes last night. They could have done with 1/2 cup molasses instead of 1/4 cup, but goddamn they are still incredibly loving delicious and a nice alternative to regular gingerbread cookies which I always recall as hard in the texture zone.

Cream cheese icing duh.

PS: You know why there are three missing in the bottom pic. I know you know.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Princess Nebula posted:

Made gingerbread cupcakes last night. They could have done with 1/2 cup molasses instead of 1/4 cup, but goddamn they are still incredibly loving delicious and a nice alternative to regular gingerbread cookies which I always recall as hard in the texture zone.

Cream cheese icing duh.

PS: You know why there are three missing in the bottom pic. I know you know.

Share your recipe! I want that food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

LivesInGrey posted:

Since water boils at a lower temperature at altitude, anything with a lot of sugar burns faster. It's probably just a matter of adding extra liquid and taking the time to keep an eye on it; I'm not a candy-maker, though, just a guy who likes to bake, so my knowledge is centered on things like baking bread at 5300 feet.

I love you. I threw together a batch last night and added a bunch of water and I was finally successful. I will now smash it to bits and make hazelnut toffee blondies.

Edit:

GLORIOUS DAIRY FREE HAZELNUT TOFFEE BLONDIES

Uhhh no that is my cat. Let's try again:

Echeveria fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 11, 2014

• Locked thread