Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I got into an assigned seating argument in the Tech Nightmares thread and argued for the "against" policy.

It's just another example of solving a problem that doesn't really exist, adding a layer of tech to the process, loving with me if I want to pay in cash and what it's truly doing as near as I can tell is to try to eliminate even more lower paying jobs. The entire ticket booth at my local theater was closed the last two times I went it was kind of depressing.

Also, had a thing where we had bought our seats for Spider Verse and bumped into my son's friends and their family and, of course, the kids wanted to sit together. Fortunately, we are able to pull it off but it was still needlessly irritating.

I can count on one hand the number of times in my life that my movie group was forced to sit apart from each other. It was always an early release blockbuster but somehow we plowed through it. Nothing like having to pull out ticket stubs in total darkness and figure that out too in the event of a conflict in seating assignments. It's not like a sporting event or a concert with 40,000 loving people to sort through.

What I'm saying is I do not like it.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

Out of all movie genres, comedy is the one that holds up the least over time. Even stuff that doesn't become offensive through the lens of time just tends to get not funny. Ands it's not even a case of "you already know the jokes" usually, its just stuff gets unfunny usually.

Comedy is just so subjective and "whats funny" so contextual, largely based on the times and evolves so fast that the framing changes so fast. More so than horror, even, which I'd say is the 2nd most subjective genre. I think it's why so few horror or comedy films get nominated for Oscars or turn up on Top 100 Movies lists. A lot of comedy also takes at aim at current events or references pop culture that just gets lost on audiences as those things basically cease to exist.

I think that "what's funny" and "what's scary" are the hardest targets to hit. "What's exciting" in an action film, "What's dramatic" or "What's sad" kind of span generations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kind of wild for DC of all people to decide that "no, this movie is a giant piece of poo poo that we can't possibly release".

And now it really makes me want to see it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

claw game handjob posted:

Audioboom seems to be the new host.

Thanks for this. I have this one bookmarked and is the one I use

https://www.whmpodcast.com/whmprime

Most (but not all) of the episode links are dead though. The Patreon still seems the same

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Angela is so great. I wish they'd make her a regular member of the cast.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

She’s good in doses but I think she’d get on my nerves if she was there all the time. I think she gets too high when she’s on.

Maybe. I just know I enjoy all the episodes she's on and she really adds to the show every time. Might be a thing, though, where like you said she works better in small doses. Kind of like certain Late Night Show recurring characters. But I've never heard an episode where I thought she made it worse.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

What an excellent day for an Exorcism.

Always love the October month and the Halloween intro.

The guys seem to be back on their lately after some hit or miss episodes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

"Dogsaw"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Hitchcock impression in the Psycho episode reminds me of Lorne Michaels,

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I always like the episodes more when I've seen the actual film and the Batman Begins one delivered for me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Gyges posted:

SMG loved Man of Steel

So did I

Funny to me that in the Batman Begins episode that for all the voice work they do, they largely bounce off the single most mockable and notoriously distracting thing in this film (and the whole trilogy), which is the motherfucking Batman growl. It's a weak spot here and only gets worse in the next two movies. I expected a lot more riffing on that aspect but, other than that, still a great episode. Hopefully, they'll do the whole trilogy.

They also never touched on Nolan's propensity for absolutely terrible sound mixing. I don't know why he does what he does in that regard and, even though it works better in a theater, gently caress me if I don't absolutely have to keep the volume remote nearby whenever I watch any of his movies at home. The music and sound effects rattle the paintings off my walls and wake the neighbors but any dialogue is really hard to hear; and that's not even taking into account things like Bane's weird voice just as it is.

Also, as great as TDK is, I agree with Steven that this is the best film in the trilogy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Red Rox posted:

Now that my son is old enough, we’ve been watching through some of my fav films, including the Nolan movies. Batman Begins is my fav of the trilogy too - it’s a tighter film and come on you can’t beat a good origin story. My son preferred The Dark Knight. But I can’t bring myself to show him the third movie - I heard there was a decent fan edit out there but I haven’t been able to find a copy.

FWIW, my kid thinks Rises is the best of the three.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

I also do not quite get why people complain about Nolan's sound mixing. I have never had a problem with it, but I also watch most movies at home on my own sound system (because i loving hate the 'THEATER EXPERIENCE!' for the most part.)

That's actually where it's the worst for me. Rattles my dishes off the cabinets and my paintings off my walls whenever the music kicks in or an action sequence is happening. I seriously have to keep the remote handy when I watch any of them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Beetlejuice episode was great

I don't know if the guys are on a roll or if it's just that they're doing movies I've actually seen - which I always prefer - but they've been giving me a lot of entertainment recently. I mean, they always do and have for a long time but, lately, they've been really crushing it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I requested Phantom of the Paradise because not only is it loving great but I think it's cheesy enough that the guys would have a lot to work with. Not sure whether it should be for WLM or WHM movies since even though it kicks rear end, it was a complete box office bomb. I went WE LOVE.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

weekly font posted:

Tiptoes is a movie I would have thought for sure they’ve covered by now. I think I’m going to call in Drop Dead Fred after Crabin referenced it on the Beetlejuice ep. There aren’t many movies with disgusting shitmen but DDF has possibly the worst of them and my partner claims she watched it all the time growing up.

Freddy Got Fingered?

Drop Dead Fred bums me out because I absolutely loved The Young Ones when I was younger and was psyched for one of those guys to break out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I remember enjoying "Blast from the Past" a long time ago

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

...I could have sworn they already did this.

Now I'm having a real Mandela-effect moment because I could vividly remember them talking about Jeff Daniels and his entire SWAT team getting destroyed by that booby trap

Same...god drat.

They did Speed2 so wtf am I falsely remembering swearing to god they did Speed 1 on WLM?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Is the Dusk TIl Dawn episode going to be uploaded at some point or is it strictly livestream?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Agree that The Fugitive was a pretty good WLM that had me laughing out loud a lot. Also Night Game was funny and makes me want to watch the movie. Never heard of it.

Beginning to think that my enjoyment of an episode largely hinges in me having seen the film as opposed to how "on" the guys are.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I was listening to the How Did This Get Made podcast episode of "Over the Top" and it cracked me up when an audience member pointed out that the kid's name is Mike Hawke

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I feel like that, in total, these guys easily deliver $5/month worth of entertainment for me. I just wish that the paid tier shows would get rid of the ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Looking forward to Beneath the Planet of the Apes.

I love the original (and the modern ape trilogy) but Beneath is one of the weirdest, most disjointed, "missed the entire appeal of the original" sequels I've ever seen. It's utterly bizarre. The only sequel from around roughly the same time period that did such a strange swerve was The Exorcist 2 I think.