Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I found WHM thanks to this thread, added it on a whim, first listened to the Judge Dredd episode (this was during the most recent Summer Rerun) and have been listening to it since, both new and old episdoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cyron posted:

HW being a disgruntled dad of a loser frat boy who all he want to do is watch 60 minunts in the den is always great.

As well as anytime HW debates projecting his presidential power against the minutae of pop culture.

"Tellin' ya Bar, we gotta do something about these Karate Schools, Bar!"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Juggy!

precision posted:

You've gotta be making GBS threads me.

So as bad as that is, it was used in the 90s X-Men cartoon as well (in one of the few episodes where the Juggernaut is around and specifically attacking the Mansion.)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
They did it a few times for Speed 2, which was enjoyable.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ghost emoji posted:

"I could be a scientist Mark"

"This watermelon represents an atom, and this sledgehammer represents the Large Hadron Collider! Kersplat! See you in the lab, you son of a bitch!"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

painynumbs posted:

I love it.

I guess if you never saw it, you probably wouldn't guess a bug movie for kids with Woody Allen in it would also include a shockingly violent battle scene.

The main villain also bites it visibly on screen by falling from a high height and slamming headfirst into a large tree root. Antz is oddly brutal.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
And at least one ant being vaporized by a magnifying glass-focused beam of sunlight.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Baka-nin posted:

Oh and I really the love the bit where Bale's nemesis is getting visibly angry in the middle of the street while denying that he has feelings, and on the contrary it is Bale who is having the feels.

and as far as the plot is concerned, he's absolutely correct

"Dystopian ruling body is actually corrupt and hypocritical" isn't a new concept, so I don't think that part is weird.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Baka-nin posted:

Yeah, that isn't what's happening in that scene, its the opposite in fact. The guy is correct that Chirstian Bale has been rebelling but Bale has framed him so, he defends himself, but even though his character is supposed to be still on that magic drug that suppresses emotions, he denies the accusations by visible and obvious frustration. Its part of Equilibriums overall sloppiness, when its not doing a cool action scene or a melodramatic flashback its really not interested and is just biding its time till it gets to another shootout scene.

See you said in the middle of the street so I was thinking it was the scene where Brandt is visibly arresting Preston (Bale's character), kicking him around and telling everyone in the area "LOOK AT THIS loving TRAITOR", not the scene afterwards where he finds out that Preston swapped guns with him at some point to set him up and his protestations to the contrary as he's being dragged away. Especially since in the street scene he's chewing all the scenery as hard as possible. So it sounds to me like you've mixed two different scenes together.

Also keep in mind earlier DuPont snaps at Preston when he thinks he's not being forthcoming enough on his progress on finding the Resistance, complete with table pounding. My point being that this kind of contrarianism isn't much different from how it is in Fahrenheit 451 (the chief keeps and reads books), or Brave New World (the ones in charge frequently look at or review otherwise banned media). I don't consider it sloppy, per-se.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 20, 2017

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

enigmahfc posted:

I still laugh, especially at the website they listing getting weirder and weirder.

PrisonPlanet.fart.yogurt/pizza.knuckles.tv

PrisonPlanet.trees/poptart.web

Thought the Retroactive episode was great especially for the sound impression of Jim Belushi's "walk-n-strut" and the return of the M. Emmet Walsh impressions.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of which...which episode had Louie Anderson and George Lucas as office cubemates?

I think it was "Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I can do a Rider Kick, Mark!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

I just watched the clip from Transformers 3 where Optimus Prime is getting the poo poo beaten out of him by Leonard Nimoy bot, then gets the upper hand and literally blows his brains out, then Megatron, who had saved him, offers a truce, to which Prime says "nope" and loving murders him too. I have no idea who these movies are for, the combination of idiot baby toys with loud ugly action complete with robots being basically disemboweled is such a weird match.

It gets worse. In 4 (Age of Extinction) he forces the Dinobots at swordpoint to fight on his side. Like there's a long fight where he's basically yelling "I'M TRYING TO SAVE YOU" while beating the poo poo out of Grimlock (who of course doesn't have his idiosyncratic speech patterns and thus is indistinguishable from any other of these walking hunks of metal that look like a knife store exploded) and then goes "JOIN OR DIE" while threatening to behead him. Naturally they do, and the Autobots are all like "Man Optimus is so awesome" when he literally press-ganged/conscripted a bunch of robots into their war. It's a really big departure from "Freedom is the right of all Sentient Beings". Of course as has been pointed out, Bayformer Optimus is an unhinged psychopath. 4 is the worst-rated Transformers film yet still the 16th highest grossing movie of all time. Who is watching these? The only reason I know about the scene I mentioned is because I worked at a Best Buy for a time and that was the movie they played in front of the Magnolia Home Theater department for what felt like 2 months straight.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 15, 2017

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Sure, but I thought he stayed died for quite a while after the animated movie? Like, for the purposes of the movie he was straight up dead. And then for a while after that in the show.

Did he come back in that incarnation of the show? Or not until Beast Wars? (Transformers "canon" is so weird to try to follow.)

Beast Wars actually takes place before Transformers due to time travel shenanigans. So Optimus Prime is there, he's just in stasis lock (robot coma), and even then he almost dies. I don't know much about Transformers outside of Beast Wars but I do recall it basically being that Optimus gets killed off in the movie, then he gets brought back at the end of the season of the TV series following said movie due to fan backlash.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Corek posted:

you could have a podcast episode just on The Return Of Bruno and how awful it was

You could also get an Animation Damnation or two out of Bruno The Kid.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Michael Caine might also be up there

The Hand, The Last Witchhunter, and Jaws 4: The Revenge are all I can recall off the top of my head, what else was there?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Well ok that one you can't blame me for forgetting

bobkatt013 posted:

Shock to the system, mr destiny, on deadly ground

These less so.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I listen to audiobooks at 1.25x to 1.5x speed since I can still basically follow them and said audiobooks are 40 hours long otherwise, so I don't think it's that strange to do it for podcasts especially if you have a large library of them. When I drove 90+ minutes to and from work 5 days a week (combined) I could get through a weeks worth of podcasts no problem, nowadays I don't do that anymore so sometimes it becomes harder to get through everything, but I'm fine with having a backlog.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

duz posted:

I Don't Even Own a Television covered RPO early in their history.

I read that one of Spielberg's changes was to remove all references to himself and drastically reduce the references to properties he worked on so it'd mostly be references to other people's movies. I hope that's true because any reduction in references would be an improvement.

Never forget that the author is describing his own car as well as the protagonist's car.

"I'm not sure how to make this nerdy enough so I'm going to make my license plate 'Ecto 88' even though that makes no sense as no Ghostbusters or BTTF movie came out that year so either I'm a complete idiot or a Nazi" - Ernest Cline, probably.

EDIT: Listening to the "I Don't Even Own a Television" episode about it, and the intro is exactly what happened to me. A friend who's opinions I mostly respect recommended/gifted me the book and I spent a week being pissed off at him thinking it was a great book when it's wish fulfillment fantasy on the part of a person who thinks surface-level 80s knowledge should be the most important thing for saving the world getting a lot of money.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 5, 2018

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's a vaguely Ghostbusters-themed DeLorean. The Ghostbusters car was the Ecto-1. The DeLorean in BTTF had to go 88mph to time travel. Hence, Ecto-88.

It's dumber than dog poo poo, but I can at least follow the thought process.

Well at least you thought harder about this than I did once I formed a really bad conclusion out of it, fair play to you. I can't believe I missed the most obvious and benign explanation like that.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

The riddles aren't even clever in universe. Like the world knows everything they need to know about the Willy Wonka stand in (he was a huge, unlikeable nerd who liked video games and comic books and d&d and every bit of 80's American pop culture) and they can't figure out what it means when the riddle refers to the key being stuck in a "tomb of horrors" which is the name of literally the most well known dungeons and dragons adventure module

Yeah like as the book went on I kept wondering why I knew every reference being made. If Ernest Cline actually lived in the 1980s shouldn't he be dropping something that isn't obvious or surface level? I'm pretty sure that only happened once (for me) when he made a reference to the arcade game Black Tiger. That's it. Everything else was really obvious or really banal, and then capping off the whole thing by having to quote all of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, a thing that has been used as a joke by everyone from The Simpsons to Weird Al. It's like he was afraid to actually try to be clever because he was worried about making it inaccessible despite the fact that this would automatically be inaccessible to anyone who isn't a huge goddamn nerd who absorbs pop culture through nostalgia and memes.

EDIT: Also the times he spends half a chapter making a checklist of "Things in the 1980s I liked"

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 5, 2018

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

Also how the nerdman won the internet and untold riches by being as vapid, superficial and pop culture obsessed as Willy Wonka but his final postmortem message is "enjoy reality"

"Enjoy Reality now that you are rich enough to do so"

Fake edit: gently caress, I forgot about President Cory Doctorow and VP Wil Wheaton. Hilarious*

*not actually hilarious

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

Like the villains' plan is essentially to privatize the internet and charge more for people's abilities to access the vr escapism world but then the moral of the story is to enjoy reality, I legit don't get it

Nothing about the world of RPO makes sense if you think about it for more than zero seconds. Apparently more than one city has been annihilated in a nuclear explosion at some point but nevermind that poo poo, do you remember PAC-MAN?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

Touhou intellectual property figure importantly in the book's climax

I think you meant Toho (Godzilla) as opposed to Touhou (bullet hell games), as well as stuff you can't even show in the US thanks to the shambling corpse of a copyright troll called Harmony Gold

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 6, 2018

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Deleter posted:

The Trump/Alex Jones bits are old but they always put a new spin on them every time so I'm fine with them. I'd really want them to just go more and more absurd with it tbh.

Yeah I'm really starved for another ridiculous url like "prisonplanet.news/poptart", I enjoy the absurdity

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 14, 2018

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm either Leaving Las Vegas or Kiss of Death.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I need more whms. I'm almost all caught up and I'm going to be traveling in the near future. What are some classic episodes I can grab from the archives? I think I've already listened to like 99% of them but when you've gone through that many, they start to blur together.

Which reminds me...in a recentish episode Steve started saying "What ever WHAT EVER" in a sort of Gallagher voice, what was the context of that? It pops into my head from time to time.

Think that was the Lethal Weapon 4 episode with him poking fun at Joe Pesci's awkward slang usage in it

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Have these guys ever done any of Tyler Perry's garbage movies? I'd love to hear their brains collectively turn to goo as they try to understand how these films could be financed, made, and distributed.

I know it's probably low hanging fruit but I think it would still end up being pretty great to hear.

They did Alex Cross but I'm guessing that's not what you meant :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elderbean posted:

That one is also one of the most blatant "this was originally another movie" scripts because it's basically a straight up slasher but pinhead shows up sometimes. I was under the impression that someone wrote a script about VIDEO GAME MURDERS due to the explosion of MMOS in the early 2000s but then no one wanted it so they made it Hellraiser.

I was going to say the original intent of the script probably was a casualty of Stay Alive (that Frankie Muniz movie about a killer video game) being terrible but that came out a year later so who knows really.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Billy Gnosis posted:

Could it just be a "We Love Movies" month?

Or revisiting movies from their first year of podcasting or something?

Both of those might annoy listeners.

Having gone back and listened to a lot of the old episodes I'd be fine with them redoing some of the first 10 or so, because they sorta left the recaps incomplete (though admittedly them not fully explaining what happens in Deadlock/Wedlock did make me want to watch it so maybe that's a point in their favor)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like that the whole gamut of prank calls from the Jerky Boys have now become a running gag. I never knew I wanted to hear an Arnold impersonation going "Hello, sizzle chest" until the T2 episode.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 8, 2018

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I loved their bit of if Nick Nolte was in Unbreakable, from the Another 48 Hours episode.

"THEY CALLED ME MR. GLAAaaAAaaAASSSSS!"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This week's Gleep Glossary was worth it for learning that Steve is the one human being who liked Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi

I thought my friend from high school and I were the only ones :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, this episode gets loving dark. It's incredible.

I'm about halfway through it I think and every time I think they hit the bedrock of darkness they just break on through that floor and keep going. It's pretty hilarious.

Edit: also like how they accidentally came up with half the plot of Perfect Dark while trying to make the clone president part better

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 26, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

I played endless weekends of Teras Kasi with my brother and friends and that was a terrible loving game. Worse than the Episode 1 beat em up one.

I don't really know if I can ever bring myself to consider it "terrible" because my friends and I had fun with it, but I won't claim it's a great game. Though it did have its moments, like one time winning a fight as Luke in the Dagobah stage, he does his post-win pose and quote, then falls into the swamp because he got positioned to ring-out after the fight. Or stuff like Darth Vader being able to dodge projectile weapons (because The Force), but if you used Han's seeker shot attack Vader just shuffles back and forth to dodge shots going over his head...which then turn right around and smack him in the back. Or debates whether Luke's pallette swap that puts him in ROTJ attire makes him more powerful than his default (because nerds).

And also a Tusken Raider named "Hoar" because what the gently caress are we even doing.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Speaking of, the book version of Shadows is hot garbage people have fond memories of because they haven't gone back and read it since they were teens.

Like 80% of it by volume is spent focusing on the bad guy(who is a date rapist lizard man) being smug about his brilliant plans and the remainder of it is a weird and misogynist portrayal of Princess Leia

People want to make date rapist lizard man canon again and it's like, dude, no, Thrawn being canon was semi-okay but this is a bridge too far

I know Xizor is allegedly supposed to be a reptilian alien but he looks more like someone saw The Mandarin from the Iron Man cartoons that were on at the time and was like "what if that, but in space". So he's more like a Date Rapist Yellow Peril Man. Getting super turbomurdered by Luke + Friends and also Vader is barely good enough for him.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Which planet would be Canada?

Naboo. Plenty of forestry, swampland, beautiful waters (if you're in BC), and the people have a democratic government but also a queen for some reason. Also environmentally conscious (unless you're from Alberta) and nominally peaceful.

"I wonder if there's beer in the core?"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Liberal Idiot posted:

It is hilarious how many times one of the main characters takes a moment to be amazed at how much Dash Rendar reminds them of Han Solo in Shadows of the Empire.

"Ace Solo, what a guy" :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

https://twitter.com/AaronPhipps_/status/1108223681568878592

How dare he make me choose between Gallagher and Trickster.

Goddamn, M. Emmet Walsh vs Nick Nolte, that's a choice I don't want to have to make.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm also a bit surprised William Fichtner isn't on there but then again they only have the "YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS ARE DEAAAAD" line they love to trot out versus a lot of these which just go all kinds of places.

Also I think next year I have to Listener Request one of the GI Joe movies just so I can get more of their impression of Cobra Commander dealing with menial office tasks and auditors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Violator posted:

I was listening to the Battlefield Earth episode and they had some jokes that made me remember a kids show from the 90s where it was some kind of contest with a maze and a giant stone head or something. Anyone know what I’m talking about? It may have been a time challenge you had to make it through or an obstacle course and I think the giant head talked.

Legends of the Hidden Temple; the talking head was named Olmec (voiced by Frank Welker's discount alternative, Dee Bradley Baker).

Edit: Beaten