Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I feel like in the newer episodes they go off on longer sidebars / repeat the jokes more often in the same episode. And I couldn't be happier. It's always great how after a few minutes usually Andrew will just go "SO IN THE MOVIE" and try to get them back on track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

How are the commentary tracks (Nemesis/Chud/Sith/Sucker Punch)? And is it supposed to sync up with the movie at all? I really want to listen to the Sucker Punch one but A) money and B) I definitely don't want to actually watch Sucker Punch.

Edit: less so the money factor because I just found upon further searching it's $3 on cdbaby, which is much easier to pony up than $10 on itunes.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Corek posted:

That's up there with ~clinkclinkclinkclinkclink~ and ~ohmygodimgonnakillemohmygodimgonnakillem~ in top WHM sound effects.

Sorry, but we all know Tommy Lee Jones and ~jackjackjackjackjackjackjackjack~ wins.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I love that last "season" on WHM we had awesome running gags like Keanu's roommate Brian, Gallagher saying he can play different roles, etc. Hoping for WHM Season 7 we get further appearances of Joint Smokin Stan Lee and Poltergeist house woman.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Haven't listened to this week's yet but am super excited. And in the vein of the earlier discussion about the guys and their liberal attitudes / crappy fans:

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/793503051248177153

I like that they're entirely comfortable losing listeners (albeit dumb ones).

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Dmitri-9 posted:

BvS isn't a movie, it is just a series of scenes put one after another. SEVENTY-FIVE 9/11 Jesus Superman is more grim and dire than anything in Watchmen.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Captain Hotbutt posted:

But the BvS episode is drat near perfect.

I still laugh at the thought of towards the end when either Steve or Andrew just yells "IT'S SO. loving. STUPID!"

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

This Piccolo he's a ... he's a pickle-man!

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I never knew Christopher Lambert was an Ernest character!

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I would pay a goon cold hard cash to give me a fan edit of 4 that is only any scene with Stanley Tucci. I might even go so far as to say if you haven't seen it, it's worth watching just for getting to see scenes like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNJbAJcVCGc

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I'm listening to a bunch of episodes from the first 50 since I'd avoided them for a while (less movies I recognized mainly). Of course they're great, but goddrat Steve admitting during the Boys and Girls episode that he used to go to a website called "Encyclopedia of Lesbian Movie Scenes" is one of my biggest laughs ever from the show.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I see you and raise

https://twitter.com/paulysolo/status/918657071314296832

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I've got it by the way

Easy Rider 2: The Ride Home

*podcast and thread collapse into singularity*

I think I’ve listened to that episode more times than any other. It’s such a perfect mix where both the outrage and the fun they’re having are both maxed out.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

precision posted:

I think the odds of them doing an onscreen for it are really high, they've done one for every(?) DC movie so far. They know their audience lusts for comic book blood.

I think I saw an Andrew tweet saying it'd be an on-screen soon and they just needed to work out scheduling.

Along that topic, I am 95% sure that it was WHM (Andrew specifically) in a very old episode who mentioned that a common saying among teens was how "I'm wicked thirsty" meant horny. I'd like to both thank as well as curse WHM for actually enabling my brain to get that "joke" during Justice League.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I'll still frequently relisten to some of the earlier HDTGM episodes, long before the non-stop live ones. Ones where the movie is so unbelievably stupid like Trespass and 88 Minutes still make me laugh. Also, looking through its episode list and I forgot about this:

Ep #92 - The 1st Annual Howdies Pt. 2
Ep #91 - The 1st Annual Howdies Pt. 1

Like Vagabundo said, a running joke is OK. Dedicating two entire episodes solely to a self-masturbatory celebration of your own running jokes is not.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

precision posted:

I would 100% listen to a one-off or spin-off Patreon-only podcast where they do nothing but talk about music, especially 80s/90s punk and indie bands. Ideally there would be an entire episode on Mojo Nixon.

Along those lines, they did say on twitter that they would do more one-offs / side projects if the Patreon ever becomes profitable enough that they can quit their jobs. I don't necessarily see it ever getting enough for provide four full time salaries, but we can dream.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

God, being able to hear Andrew's live first time reaction to the end of Cloverfield Paradox was one of my favorite show moments just for how genuine it was.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

Oh man, I had blocked out I Want To Believe out of my memories. GOD what a piece of poo poo that was.

I had to go to Wikipedia because I could not bring myself to believe that the title wasn't a joke for the Boss Baby episodes. My god . . .

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'll admit I'm a bit confused as to why their Scarlett Johansson sounds like Justin from Cyber Seduction colon His Secret Life.

I thought it sounded way more like their Dr Loomis from Halloween.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Easy Rider 2 always gets my vote because they're all having so much fun, and it's less yelling at how bad it is and just being incredulous that it's a thing which exists.

Haha, and apt for today: "The sky was crystal blue, just like 9/11"

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Deadguy2322 posted:

I gave them a shot, but I’m out. American podcasters need to grow up and realize nobody cares how much you hate Trump, unless your podcast is about politics. I want to hear about lovely movies. If I wanted to hear about lovely governments I could watch the news at home.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yessssssssssssss, come on Friday :getin:

God I can’t phone post properly but they have a FB post from an hour ago and in the comments they either confirm it or else it’s a 100% misdirect. But I think we all know.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I’m pretty much the same age as the guys but had never heard of JibJab. I had to look it up and OH MY GOD this is some of the most unpleasant stuff I’ve ever seen.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I went in thinking "ok this another Collateral Beauty adjacent type oscar grab" but man this is on another level.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I laughed so hard at the immediate transition from “and then Mellisa McCarthy bites some puppet’s cock off” right into the little Spanish flea ad music.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

You don't?

ONLY NINETIES KIDS WILL KNOW

Seriously, how does anyone not know ALL of the TGIF theme songs by heart?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Was literally about to post that. That's a good upcoming month. I cannot wait to hear the rage during the Nexus.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Can someone who does listen to Blank Check name one or two standout episodes for those of us who might want to check it out (besides the aforementioned Book of Henry)?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Remind me what episode is the buddy brigade in

Going off description, appears to be 408 Prince of Persia.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

"THEY'RE CALLED PARADEMONS!"

I always laugh at that mainly because I felt the exact same when listening, sad that comic book expert Steve Sajdak couldn't find the word. Of course I was just jokingly mad, and not "write into a podcast angrily" mad.

Also they mention Max Payne in this week's ep as a possible stay tuned. I've flirted with submitting that for Listener Request Month for a while, but I always come back to it being in the "not a movie" camp.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I like fun. When it's, you know, fun. One of my major bugaboos about podcasts is overly long unfunny bits/derailments. :shrug:

How do you listen to the main show???????

But in all honesty, try it for one month paying the $8 level and if you really hate it just cancel. I'm not going to try and debate funny / not funny because that's pointless, but there are definitely times where they'll stop and do impressions back and forth for an entire minute or two or go on tangents about the actors. If having to skip poo poo like that is more annoying than the extra few bucks, take a pass. I personally love the overly long bits and derailments so I'm on the $8 level forever, but it's understandable if it's not your fav.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I know Eric reads this sometimes so I just wanna say: Angelica was hilarious and I hope she's on again soon

If you follow them on twitter, the way they were all posting a day or two ago makes is seem either A) they already have plans to do so and are being coy or B) all seemed genuinely excited at trying to plan another ep

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

An audible HELL YEAH from me for Animation Damnation. Incredibly pumped.

Episode 445 —Friday the 13th (2009)
Episode 447 — Final Destination 3
Episode 448 — The Human Centipede (First Sequence)
Episode 449 — Child's Play (1988) - Live at Thalia Hall in Chicago!
Episode 450 — Monster Squad

Patreon Episodes:

Patreon Exclusive We Love Movies Episode 446 — The Shining
Animation Damnation — The Simpsons: "Treehouse of Horror V" (s6, e6) *a special Animation Damnation WLM!*
The Nexus — TOS: "The Apple" (s2, e5) & TNG: "The Measure of a Man" (s2, e9)
Gleep Glossary: A Star Wars Story — Labria the Devaronian
Patreon Q3 Commentary: Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

extremely online posted:

I respect that the guys are working hard to grow their brand, and I hope the WHM empire can become a full-time paying gig for all of them if they want it, but I really don't think it's a show that needs guests. Occasional insights from disaster movie expert Justin J. Case are great, sure, but the chemistry between the four of them is what I tune in for.

Yeah, one guest every like two months is probably fine but not more often. It does mess with the flow.

But counter point: make Angelica Bastien the fifth mic because their chemistry on Species was amazing and want more of that energy they all had.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

drat . . . I thought it was just going to be "wasted potential" bad but this is a whole other level.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, if the $8 level only had the Nexus, I would still pay it. It's just good.

Speaking of that holy poo poo this coming month's lineup is so stacked (which of course it would be for We Love Movies) that I can't decide which I'm most excited about but it may very well be the Nexus.

Episode 456 — Die Hard with a Vengeance with Jon Gabrus
Episode 457 — The Rock: Live in San Francisco
Episode 458 — Star Wars: Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
Episode 459 — Gremlins
Episode 460 — Mad Max: Fury Road

Patreon Exclusive We Love Movies — Star Wars: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
Animation Damnation — Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964, Rankin & Bass)
The Nexus, WLM Full Episode Exclusive — Star Trek: First Contact
Gleep Glossary: Uncle Owen & Aunt Beru
We Love Movies Commentary Track: Predator (1987)
The Mandalorian Half Hour — Episodes 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1212867232306532352?s=20

:getin:

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Please let's not turn this into the 1000th "let's hate on the new Star Wars (however legitimate some grievances are)" thread the forums has. Or at the very least, wait until the On-Screen is actually out.

Hyped as hell for Angel Has Fallen, for both Nick Nolte voice but also everything else. I've seen all three films in theaters and they rule.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I certainly hope that we'll see President Nerd again in the future. This is a fun episode.

This is honestly a testament to how good "yes, and" can be when we nearly missed having this get developed if not for Steve saying "YOU KNOW I don't think we got into that enough" and they it was at least 5 straight minutes of greatness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Haven’t listen to the ep yet, but I also feel like none of them were ever really PC gamers at all. They’ve talked tons about console poo poo when they were younger, but it at least would make a little sense if they were never into Doom growing up.