Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

It's almost bowl season everyone! That time where we all sit by the fireplace, share stories, spread love and goodwill, and watch Rice get the poo poo kicked out of them by some SEC tirefire that just wants to go home and be with their family.

I kind of wanted this to be a pre-bowl season thread to talk/laugh about some of the bowl games and highlight what's changed in terms of sponsors, tie-ins, venues, etc, as well as maybe discuss some cool games that happened in that bowl's history or talk about that time like thirty people went because it was in loving Boise during a rainstorm. Maybe as sort of a corollary to Koop's bowl projection thread, where this thread is more for "well, Arkansas's likely going to the Belk Bowl. What does that entail?"

A handy Format should you choose to use it:
Name
Conference Tie-in
Former Sponsor
Current Sponsor
Venue
Trophy
Notable Bowl Festivities
Memorable Moments
Gifts to Players (as detailed as you can find. Some bowls don't disclose it)

I'll start with one that's near and dear to my heart: The Duck Commander Independence Bowl.

Conference Tie-In: ACC vs SEC

Former Sponsors: Advocare (that MLM scheme Drew Brees and Aaron Murray shill), motherfucking POULAN WEEDEATER

Current Sponsor: Duck Commander, maker of duck calls, homophobia, Islamophobia, and 3.99 tat at your local WalMart

Venue: Independence Bowl in Shreveport, Louisiana.

The stadium is garbage and located about two feet from I-20, the stands flood during rain, the bathrooms haven't worked in four years, and Shreveport has living conditions, accomodations, and tourist attractions on par with 1993 Mogadishu.

Trophy

Tho now it's probably a Si chia pet or something.

Notable Bowl Festivities:
-December 23rd: The "Big Game Show" where members of both teams will compete in game-show style competition straight out of a substitute teacher's lesson plan in high school.
-December 26th: The Independence Bowl Parade which as of 2009 when I went literally ended in a Kroger parking lot
-the morning of December 27th (Game Day): Fan Fest

Memorable Moments: Georgia helped fire Mike Sherman in 2009. Air Force's Falcon flew away one year against Georgia Tech (trying to escape Shreveport) and to the best of my knowledge never returned.

Gifts to players: When it was sponsored by Advocare, the players received:
-a watch
-a skull cap
-a football

That's it. This year will likely be the same with the addition of "The best of Si Volume One" and a Bible.

So goons, what are some bowls we should all be excited about?

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

My Noles, supported by gods large and small, are playing Oregon. It will own.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Aside from me selfishly wanting the Bruins having a chance to send the seniors out on a good note, the Alamo Bowl should be a legitimately good matchup, whoever wins. I think of Bill Snyder as the Wooden of K-State football and I always dig when two tradition-rich schools meet up.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That Fan Fest looks like the processing area for a concentration camp, but an authoritarian regime nice enough to provide slides for the kids and all the free Coke you can drink.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
You can't just mention Shreveport and not mention the smell of Shreveport.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I was at the Independence "Snow Bowl"

It was weird experiencing hell freezing and somehow making it even more hellish

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN

Allahu Snackbar posted:

You can't just mention Shreveport and not mention the smell of Shreveport.

The scent of desperation, hopelessness, despair, and swamp gas.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

SaltLick posted:

Was that the Miss State / Texas A&M one? That was impossible to watch on tv.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

archangelwar posted:

Was that the Miss State / Texas A&M one? That was impossible to watch on tv.

Much like every Independence Bowl

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

SaltLick posted:

Me too! I was numb, but it was one of the most entertaining games I've ever seen.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm looking forward to the duck bowl, because I have fond memories of that terrible stadium and the thought of it being used for any measure of prestige is hilarious and depressing.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I never actually went to the Orange Bowl when it was around so someone tell me how lovely it was for nostalgia ' s sake.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Strawberry Panda posted:

I never actually went to the Orange Bowl when it was around so someone tell me how lovely it was for nostalgia ' s sake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5YPiBx9MJs

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The moment that renewed my faith in Americans' taste in music.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Incoherence posted:

The moment that renewed my faith in Americans' taste in music.

Even the 5 seconds you hear of the song are performed so poorly and they look like dumb asses doing their stupid dance.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Reminder that the SA Bowl Pick-em league is up and running. Confidence points are used, first games are played early on Sat, Dec 20th so hurry up and get in NOW NOW NOW so you have a reason to care about the Gildan New Mexico Bowl, you degenerate gambler.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Popeye's Bahamas Bowl is my new favorite D-grade bowl. It's got everything!

-Sponsored by a corporation that does not operate in the Bahamas
-Paid for by Bahamian citizens who couldn't care less about football
-Contains not one, but two directional state schools (Central Michigan and Western Kentucky), who finished 7-5
-Played on Christmas Eve in a stadium that seats 15,000 people
-Will presumably force both schools to eat their tickets because they are unable to find many wealthy alums of MAC and CUSA schools who can both afford to fly to the Bahamas for Christmas to watch a bad football game and have the desire to do so.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Aside from me selfishly wanting the Bruins having a chance to send the seniors out on a good note, the Alamo Bowl should be a legitimately good matchup, whoever wins. I think of Bill Snyder as the Wooden of K-State football and I always dig when two tradition-rich schools meet up.

Kansas State's "tradition" mostly consists of getting the poo poo beat out of them by the Big Eight, and then doing okay/good when the Big 12 came around (with a brief return to eating curbs aka the Ron Prince era which was actually a golden era compared to the pre-Snyder times)

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Here's what happened the last time Miami and South Carolina played (1987):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FPpbe2-ie0

We've apparently refused to schedule them ever since, but now, the Duck Bowl has brought us together once again.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

skaboomizzy posted:

Gildan New Mexico Bowl, you degenerate gambler.

SPEAKING OF THE GILDAN NEW MEXICO BOWL, a little bit about our favorite "New Mexico has a football stadium?" game:

Name: Gildan New Mexico Bowl!

Conference Tie-in: MWC v. C-USA. This year we have 9-4 Utah State and 7-5 UTEP

Current Sponsor: Gildan, makers of all those dirt-cheap tshirts teams give away to get people to watch an Atlanta Hawks game. You know the ones, with the tiny team logo and GIGANTIC car dealership logo. Looking at you, UGA Gymnastics. Fuckers.

Venue: University Stadium. UNM's stadium which just installed synthetic turf and otherwise is entirely unremarkable.

Trophy

Straight out of Pottery Barn

Notable Bowl Festivities
-RIGHT NOW (12/17): Welcome Dinner at this place:

-typical stuff otherwise. Hospital visits, fan fest (In the University Stadium parking lot!), etc

Memorable Moments: There was a cool game in 2012 where Arizona scored twice in the final 49 seconds to beat Nevada 49-48. Connor Halladay did some cool poo poo last year too.

Gifts to Players
-Gift suite
-iPod charger (lol)
-8 GB USB
-Oakley Breadbox sunglasses
-cap
-Oakley Fine Knit beanie
-Oakley Flak Pack XL backpack
-Gildan stadium blanket

Preview (stolen from SI):

Stanley Kay posted:

The New Mexico Bowl will come down to whether UTEP can find success on the ground. Despite a rash of injuries among the linebacking corps, Utah State’s rushing defense ranked 56th nationally, allowing 172.5 yards per game. Expect Aggies defensive coordinator Todd Orlando to stack the box and force UTEP to beat his team through the air, as the Miners strongly prefer the run: In seven wins this season UTEP has rushed for 1,855 yards with 21 touchdowns; in five losses it has totaled just 697 rushing yards with six scores.

However, Utah State’s ability to execute such a game plan is another matter entirely. Though it allowed an average of only 4.8 yards per play this year, best in the Mountain West, its defense showed cracks in the regular-season finale against Boise State. The Broncos gashed the Aggies for 283 rushing yards in a 50-19 rout. How Utah State’s defense fares against UTEP will demonstrate whether that lackluster showing was an anomaly or something more indicative.

Much like New Mexico: boring and bland as hell, featuring two teams nobody cares about! Yay!

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 18, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Arizona/Nevada game loving owned

The bowl trophy owns

That wraps up things I know about the New Mexico Bowl

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
:siren: BREAKING INDEPENDENCE BOWL NEWS: :siren:

quote:

Missy Robertson will sing the National Anthem prior to kickoff of the 2014 Duck Commander Independence Bowl, presented by CenturyLink. Missy sang the National Anthem at the 2014 Duck Commander 500 at Texas Motor Speedway in April.

Joining Missy in the pregame festivities, Uncle Si Robertson will be involved with the coin toss.

Following the game, Duck Commander president and CEO Willie Robertson will present the trophy to the winning team.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!
WKU is in a bowl game for like the second time ever so sure why not I'll halfass a thing I guess.

Name: Popeyes Bahamas Bowl

Conference Tie-in: C-USA vs MAC — this year is Central Michigan (7-5) vs. Western Kentucky (7-5)

Current Sponsor: Popeyes, natch

Venue: Thomas A. Robinson Stadium, Nassau:

For some reason, there's now a bowl game at a 15,000-seater stadium with a track running around it in the Bahamas. It is named after a Bahamian track star, apparently. The Wikipedia article on the stadium mostly only mentions the Bahamas Bowl itself and also the time FIFA kicked the Bahamas soccer team out of the World Cup qualifiers because they were renovating the stadium.

Trophy: I mean, I assume it has one, but I can't find any pictures of it

Notable Bowl Festivities: A youth football clinic, apparently? Also a beach party or something, but really I get the feeling that with this bowl the point is mostly that you're in the Bahamas. Except it's being played on Christmas Eve in a foreign country between two teams who are probably not even going to get the tiny-rear end Bahamas stadium filled, so whatever.

Memorable Moments: This bowl is brand new! However, the schools involved have actually played each other in a bowl before. It was in Detroit, in a blizzard, and the stadium was mostly empty, and WKU lost.

Gifts to Players: A backpack and a cap. But also a gift suite I guess.

Basil Hayden fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 18, 2014

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I get to photograph the military bowl :toot:

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
The Motherfuckin' Potato Bowl

Conference Tie-in: MAC vs. Mountain West. This year: Air Force (9-3 after going 2-10 last year) vs. Western Michigan (8-4 after going 1-11 last year)
Former Sponsor: Crucial.com, MPC Computers (both related to Micron), Roady's, uDrove (wtf)
Current Sponsor: Idaho Potato Commission (our state has all kinds of crop commissions, including a barley one, God knows why)
Venue: Albertsons Stadium. Picture is from the Boise Weekly alternative newspaper.

Trophy: Last year they changed it from a giant glass bowl full of potatoes to a trophy that just has the above logo.
Notable Bowl Festivities: They go bowling. In Meridian. loving whoop dee do.
Memorable Moments: Boise State beat Louisville unexpectedly in 1999. In 2006, Miami suffered the indignity of having to play here but at least they won. In 2009, Idaho won a 43-42 shootout over Bowling Green that would have been cool if it were anyone but Idaho.
Gifts to Players: I think they're doing the gift box things again... I don't remember how it went last year.

My workplace is helping to sponsor and host the bowl game and they gave us a 30-second ad on the scoreboard. We worked with San Diego State last year and this year we are working with Western Michigan.
Go the Other Broncos!

"Please kill me."

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Idiot Kicker posted:

The Motherfuckin' Potato Bowl

Conference Tie-in: MAC vs. Mountain West. This year: Air Force (9-3 after going 2-10 last year) vs. Western Michigan (8-4 after going 1-11 last year)
Former Sponsor: Crucial.com, MPC Computers (both related to Micron), Roady's, uDrove (wtf)
Current Sponsor: Idaho Potato Commission (our state has all kinds of crop commissions, including a barley one, God knows why)
Venue: Albertsons Stadium. Picture is from the Boise Weekly alternative newspaper.

Trophy: Last year they changed it from a giant glass bowl full of potatoes to a trophy that just has the above logo.
Notable Bowl Festivities: They go bowling. In Meridian. loving whoop dee do.
Memorable Moments: Boise State beat Louisville unexpectedly in 1999. In 2006, Miami suffered the indignity of having to play here but at least they won. In 2009, Idaho won a 43-42 shootout over Bowling Green that would have been cool if it were anyone but Idaho.
Gifts to Players: I think they're doing the gift box things again... I don't remember how it went last year.

My workplace is helping to sponsor and host the bowl game and they gave us a 30-second ad on the scoreboard. We worked with San Diego State last year and this year we are working with Western Michigan.
Go the Other Broncos!

"Please kill me."
How can you talk about the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl and not post Robert Turbin?

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

How can you talk about the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl and not post Robert Turbin?

Oh crap, I forgot to mention the NFL players who came through our little bowl game. Matt Ryan and Mattias Kiwanuka whipped our asses in 2005 and Colin Kaepernick played in the 2008 game. Other NFL players that came through include Chris Redman, Luke McCown, Seneca Wallace, Heath Miller, Demaryius Thomas, Darrius Heyward-Bey, and Torrey Smith.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Idiot Kicker posted:

Oh crap, I forgot to mention the NFL players who came through our little bowl game. Matt Ryan and Mattias Kiwanuka whipped our asses in 2005 and Colin Kaepernick played in the 2008 game. Other NFL players that came through include Chris Redman, Luke McCown, Seneca Wallace, Heath Miller, Demaryius Thomas, Darrius Heyward-Bey, and Torrey Smith.

Adam Mue--

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The first football game I attended was the 2004(?) Idaho Potatoes (then MPC Computer Bowl) game between Virginia and Fresno State.

They were giving away tickets for like $5 each.

It was a cold day.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The other day I called out Zaxby's and Church's for failure to have a bowl game like Chik-Fil-A and Popeye's.

I apologize to Zaxby's, as they are the sponsor of the Heart of Dallas Bowl

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Name The buffalo wild wings CITRUS BOWL
Conference Tie-in B1G vs SEC #25, and an obviously superior team, Minnesota, takes on #14 Missouri.
Former Sponsor Capital One
Current Sponsor Buffalo Wild Wings
Venue Citrus Bowl Stadium in beautiful Orlando, Florida
Trophy Can't find a better one, outdated sponsorship
Notable Bowl Festivities There's a parade in downtown Orlando, woo! Also some fun gatherings in local parks apparently
Memorable Moments 1956/1958, Florida, the pieces of poo poo they are, refused to let two teams play unless it took out it's black players. In 1990/1, #2 GA Tech with National Championship hopes blew out Nebraska. 2015, Minnesota plays in its first Jan 1st Bowl game since the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Gifts to Players A...$447 Best Buy Gift Card? Oddly specific amount of money. Some form of watch, and a athletic T and long sleeve.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Sash! posted:

The other day I called out Zaxby's and Church's for failure to have a bowl game like Chik-Fil-A and Popeye's.

I apologize to Zaxby's, as they are the sponsor of the Heart of Dallas Bowl

Zaxby's Clogged Artery of Dallas Bowl

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Gifts to Players A...$447 Best Buy Gift Card? Oddly specific amount of money. Some form of watch, and a athletic T and long sleeve.

There's a capped max worth on bowl gifts, so a lot of bowls give out a few specific items, then gift cards for the balance.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
just wanted to remind everyone that you're welcome for wazzu taking one for the team in order to give you one of the best bowl games of last season to start bowl season off. it was a master class in coug'n it and i hope you all appreciated it to the same degree that it made me want to deep throat a bayonet. i'll watch this year's new mexico bowl to extend the courtesy to other bad teams enjoying a postseason opportunity

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Dec 18, 2014

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

SPEAKING OF THE GILDAN NEW MEXICO BOWL, a little bit about our favorite "New Mexico has a football stadium?" game:

Name: Gildan New Mexico Bowl!

Conference Tie-in: MWC v. C-USA. This year we have 9-4 Utah State and 7-5 UTEP

Current Sponsor: Gildan, makers of all those dirt-cheap tshirts teams give away to get people to watch an Atlanta Hawks game. You know the ones, with the tiny team logo and GIGANTIC car dealership logo. Looking at you, UGA Gymnastics. Fuckers.

For some reason I thought this was sponsored by the paint company. So much for branding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
The Russell Athletic Bowl: Yes, we're still a brand of clothing!

Teams Playing: #17 Clemson v Oklahoma
Conference Tie-In: ACC v Big 12
Former Titles: The Blockbuster Bowl, Carquest Bowl, MicronPC Bowl, Mazda Tangerine Bowl, Visit Florida Tangerine Bowl, Champs Sports Bowl
Date Formed: 1990
Trophy:

Stadium: The newly rebuilt Orlando Citrus Bowl

Gifts: $447 Best Buy gift card and shopping trip, a watch, and a performance athletic shirt!!!

This will be Clemson's 3rd overall appearance at this bowl since its inception, and first appearance since 2005. Their record at this bowl sits at 1-1 with a win against Colorado in 2005, and a loss to Texas Tech in 2002.

This will be Oklahoma's first appearance at this bowl.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 18, 2014

• Locked thread