Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
I am of the opinion that was a really very insightful article that would help many people to actually pursue improvements to society instead of figuratively blowing off their own goddamn feet while screaming hyperbole.

Because that really isn't going to help anyone. In fact, it rallies people against you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

UP AND ADAM posted:

I'm glad it helped you.

You're assumption is incorrect, but if I'd needed that sort of help I'd have liked to think it would have.

Unfortunately, as several here seem to have illustrated, some will read this- or not actually bother and say they have perhaps- and assume it's some clever ruse of the racist patriarchy trying to keep them from reaching that mythical level of miserable and crazed that will somehow make the world better.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Effectronica posted:

Frankly, I would rather have you outside the tent pissing in than inside the tent pissing out.

I'm sure many others feel the same about many others in the tent. As do I.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Effectronica posted:

No, like, I don't loving care about the vast numbers of people alienated away from leftism because of this, even if they're in the double digits. Many of those people have no real sympathy for leftism like Kyrie, have broken brains like you, or can be brought back in with alternatives. What's more important for me are the people being led down into a sucking void of despair and learned helplessness.

Would it pain you to learn I would rather no one be led into a sucking void of despair and learned helplessness either? Maybe you can write it off as a broken clock being right twice a day, ye paragon of mental health.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Effectronica posted:

I never said that you were a bad person, or mentally unwell, so no, it's not going to pain me, go ahead and say that, with extra snide.

Okay, can I quote you as background for forums opinion then? I have a deadline for QCS posts coming up.

I'm... pretty sure you have actually. Still, suit yourself. Read an extra layer of snide into my last post.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Blue Star posted:

All you guys going on about the left driving people away and hurting people: can you explain what exactly you mean by that? Who is being driven away from leftist causes and activism, and why?

Everyone who has not yet drunk the cool-aid. The left-leaning who don't see "being as radical as possible" as being the solution and are attacked by 'their own' for it. And, I know this is going to invite great ire from some, moderates who might otherwise be sympathetic or supportive.

Extremists on both sides tend to hate moderates just as much if not more than their ideological opposites and tend to attack them with almost as much fervor. The result of this is to drive said moderates to choose a side- most often to the opposition of their attacker's in self-defense.

Why the math of this should be so perplexing to some is beyond me.

You can bully people into line within a very small community, but the moment you try to bully a larger community you are going to find it much less effective to outright counterproductive.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Dazzling Addar posted:

i am personally more interested in a utopian world wherein society does not eat itself alive as important strategic resources such as "fresh water", "fish for eating", and eventually "dry land" gradually dwindle to nothing

unfortunately i don't think i'm going to get my wish so instead, here i sit, laughing bitterly at people who use the word groupthink as more permafrost sloughs off into the sea like so much dead skin

I am actually rather curious what your purpose in espousing your nihilistic philosophy is? If it spreads, it doesn't solve any problems. The natural reaction to accepting 'the only war that matters is lost the world is ended' would seem to be apathy or hedonism which either does nothing to help or quite likely makes things actively worse.

Is it just to grab a bit of an ego boost by bragging about how you alone see things as they truly are on the way to sticking your head in an improbably still gas-fueled oven?

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Bonus points to the thread for the people seriously delusional enough to believe MLK's efforts to reach the better natures of the 'privileged' and motivate them to become better people in any way compare to radical 'If we call them all Shitlords enough they'll change everything to the way we like it' approach.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

UP AND ADAM posted:

I hate that these people make an argument that I say they are making. GRrrrrr.

Radicals are just like MLK, how dare you tarnish my comparison of my noble deeds to his!

(On a more serious note I will grant I am guilty in my previous post of reducing other arguments to a strawman. That was bad. But there really IS no comparison. He killed 'em with kindness in the sense 'an enemy made friend is an enemy no more' a lot of people here seem to forget that second part in favor of shrill righteous indignation. Could still learn something from Mr. King.)

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Space Whale posted:

I completely understand your logic and reasoning. I think it's bullshit.

I'm not a kid being scolded or someone arguing over anything remotely objective. Don't present it as such.

I respect your efforts to encourage a more rational approach to progressive issues that might actually result in positive change rather than just excessively trying the patience of those willing to listen, but trying to defend the use of the term 'gooks' locks you down into a silly and indefensible position. So you could have chosen your words better! No one's perfect.

Meanwhile some of these goons are getting aroused over finally maybe sort of seeing a racist in their midst, on whom it would be open season to work out their frustrations on.
(I don't believe you are one any more than everyone else in the thread, for the record. Just frustrated.)

The Snark fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 8, 2014

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Space Whale posted:

The point is that it's about making someone backpedal and using the sight against them indefinitely, or to drag it up whenever they please, or need it.

I'm not advocating racism. I'm also not stupid. Apology just results in chumming the water, and they focus on tearing someone down for the slight and don't bother with anything else. It's a shut down. It's chaff. It's running interference. I'm not going to just let everything derail without pointing it out, since its an example of the nonsense I'm sick of.

I'm not a whipping boy. Address that poo poo in a p.m. and leave the thread to the actual subject matter.

I do like how slope is still o.k. though.

Alas, I did not edit in time to be clear.

You're giving the impression that this gets to you. That, I fear, is chumming the water a lot more than saying 'Yeah I goofed.' Besides, I do appreciate something this derail brought up. I've never heard slope being used as anything but as describing an incline. Gook, however, I have never heard in any other context.

Not that I've heard it very often anyway. The sort of word I'd expect to hear used only by someone's stubborn WW2 Vet Granpappy.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD6qtc2_AQA

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

England Sucks posted:

It's not a us vs them mentality. It is reality. Trying to communicate and find common ground with these kinds of people is impossible. They do not react to intelligence. They react to power pure and simple.

Beyond that the vast majority of them do not want common ground with anyone. They are stuck in a us vs them mentality of their own. We can try and pretend they are not but that would be a waste of time. You can not reach these kinds of people once the brainwashing is done it sticks. The media has made sure of that.

Feel free trying to waste your time communicating and speaking the facts to people whose very nature and upbringing leads them to ignore the facts. We've tried it before. We know how it works out. See Obamacare.

There is no reasoning. There is no common ground. The only hope left is either violent extreme revolution that destroys the entire fabric of this country from every government entity and legal binding document ever written; or using the exact same tactics used by the right: media control and brainwashing of the retarded public with religious and patriotic messages; for the greater good.

Go watch Snowpiercer. The system is broken. You can not save it. It can not be worked for any greater good. It must be destroyed.

I almost took this seriously. The final line should have been a warning, thank to you whoever bought their avatar for the rest.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 9, 2014

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Job Truniht posted:

This is such a lovely cop out argument. Maybe next time you can try arguing with us instead of trying to shame us into submission for no good loving reason. Political instability and political insolvency are not the products of radicalism. They are the result of decades of pushing unsustainable policy, milquetoast reform, and compromise. The worst thing, literally the worst thing, that could ever happen is that the pendulum between stability and violent revolution stops swinging.

So I take it you are of the impression that every so many decades there should be a violent revolution?

Have you ever lived in a country where that happens?

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

SedanChair posted:

"Check your privilege"

"no"

"Check your privilege"

"no"

"Check your privilege"

"n-no"

"Check your privilege"

"no"

"Check your privilege"

"I don't want to check it"

Would've been funnier if I wasn't fairly sure at this point Sedan Chair actually believes it boiled down to this. Wouldn't be the first to seriously compare their tactics favorably to MLK's. They wouldn't, in fact, even be the fifth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Typical Pubbie posted:

Something did happen, though. The American people got to watch a cop kill a guy and get away with it. Even my hardcore conservative family members who had been crowing about "race baiters in Ferguson" were stunned by the decision not to indict Garner's killer. We need body cameras on every patrol officer and on every officer serving a warrant.

People do have a point when they say body cameras hardly matter if, when what is effectively a murder is caught on camera, the responsible parties are not made to answer. Eric Garner's death calls for greater reforms than that, it calls for an inquiry as to WHY his killer(s) were not indited and into all of the errors that led to this tragedy. It's one of the most valid causes for protest I have seen in some time.

• Locked thread