Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
http://www.mcgilldaily.com/2014/11/everything-problematic/

quote:

People who belong to oppressed groups are just people, with thoughts ultimately as fallible as anyone else’s. They aren’t oracles who dispense eternal wisdom. Ironically, this principle of infallibility, designed to combat oppression, has allowed essentialism to creep in. The trait that defines a person’s group membership is treated as a source of innate ethical knowledge. This is to say nothing about the broader problem of how you’re supposed to decide who’s a source of innate knowledge. Certainly not someone who innately “knows” that homosexuality is disgusting and wrong, but why not, if you’re simply relying on private revelation rather than public criteria?
... It is an ominous sign whenever a political movement dispenses with methods and approaches of gaining knowledge that are anchored to public revelation and, moreover, becomes openly hostile to them. Anti-intellectualism and a corresponding reliance on innate knowledge is one of the hallmarks of a cult or a totalitarian ideology.
Anti-intellectualism was the one facet of this worldview I could never fully stomach. I was dogmatic, I fell prey to groupthink, and I had a crusader mentality, but I was never completely anti-intellectual. Ever since I was a child, the pursuit of knowledge has felt like my calling. It’s part of who I am. I could never turn my back on it. At least not completely. And that was the crack through which the light came in.

Personally, this essay afforded me a bit of peace of mind after butting heads with some very intelligent, very pissed off activist friends. I'd like to say up front that it shouldn't be taken as supporting social or any other conservatism, especially not any sort of Men's Rights perspective; the author is still a queer activist. I remember that there were quite a few talented activists on SA in the LF days. I'm curious if any of y'all might've had similar experiences to those of the author of the above piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
ReV VAdAUL, How on earth did you use that quote and make that analogy? She writes that gay views on homophobia "more important"; you write that that equates to "women's experiences of being women are irrelevant." Yes, some poorly educated and hateful people will misread her, but that's always the case with any public rhetoric.

I also see absolutely nothing wrong with the argument about otherkin, which no one responded to substantively. Are you responding to the fact that otherkin are just obviously wacky and no one needs to take them seriously? If so, that makes me question your viewpoints on the mentally ill. Her point is that if you don't take every group who claims oppression seriously ("they're denying me my right to be a little fox, the human-bodied-privileged scum!"), why would you automatically take other groups' claims of oppression as fact? Automatically, meaning, without engaging your own judgement (which you more than likely do with regard to otherkin).

Regardless, I appreciate y'all's comments on both sides of the argument.

I'd like to add a personal example about not being able to trust the viewpoints of oppressed peoples. The example of the homophobic gay person, while rhetorically sound, was pretty hypothetical. Anyway, I worked in immigration advocacy for a couple of years. Some of the most virulently anti-amnesty people (amnesty meaning, providing a path to citizenship or at least decriminalization of being unauthorized/undocumented) were those immigrants who had arrived to the US in the last 5-7 years and who had successfully obtained documentation and authorization. They had to pass through a poo poo system with widespread, clearly evident racism, and they wanted them illegals to get the same lovely treatment. Just because those documented immigrants were linguistically (most of them were Spanish-dominant), racially, and otherwise oppressed, didn't mean that I was going to become anti-amnesty just to adhere to the viewpoints of oppressed people.

To throw in a language-based example, many speakers of indigenous languages in Latin America, even monolinguals, believe their native languages to be worthless and that their children should learn Spanish or English. They're oppressed, but I don't agree that the source of their oppression is their mother tongue itself (rather than society's widespread discriminatory attitudes toward it), which should be discarded.

Am I failing as a leftist?

Mortley fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 3, 2014

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

ReV VAdAUL posted:

....If one fails at one of the criteria one becomes one of the bad ones. ...

This is precisely the attitude that the article is arguing against. You're reading a strictness into the piece that's simply not there. They're literally suggestions for avoiding depression as a result of your political views; they're supposed to help activists keep on fighting the good fight.

She's arguing against the "if you're not with us, you're against us!" mindset, and you're saying "she's not with me, so she's against me!"

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
I dropped out of the discussion, but I enjoyed reading this a lot. This was the first time D&D has made me laugh since LF. Thanks again, y'all.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Sorry, I know this was from a few pages back (grad school and teaching keeps me from keeping up) but

GlyphGryph posted:

So the problem becomes convincing them that you can provide this benefit (no disruptive protests in cities with strongly accountable police forces, getting positive marks from some independent body, people throwing appreciation events instead of protesting if they're in a good city where something like this happens, if you get powerful politicians on your side maybe funding will be tied into some trackable manner of accountable departments, if you get media pundits on your side you get ignored or lauded as 'one of the good ones' while others are attacked). This might not be palatable to the left radicals who are really just seeking an opportunity to get mad in public, but it's one possible effective strategy.

Wait, is what's bolded above seriously something that the utterly disorganized left thinks that it can control?

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

sausage eyes posted:

All it is a a rhetorical tool to explain structural oppression through individual experience.

It is not a theory...it goes nowhere and if you want to apply it as a theory on a grand scale you have to necessarily talk about bullshit like attractive people privilege that no one wants to do and makes a mockery of serious analysis.

This was one of my favorite threads in LF - "explain yourselves, sex havers!" - accusing anyone who had ever had sex of discrimination. After all, if you are at all sexually attractive or good at sex, sleeping with you is a benefit. And if you distribute benefits based on things that people have no control over - the symmetry of their faces, broadness of their hips or shoulders, etc. - you're being discriminatory by definition. It's one of the reasons that I consider egalitarianism a goal always worth striving for but which is absolutely unachievable (and not desirable to achieve). This is a definite IMHO though.

The Insect Court posted:

Racism was(and is) used to create a false sense of shared identity between poor whites and white elites so the latter court exert social control. That's hardly a novel or controversial observation.

Anti-racism in the form of so-called privilege theory plays a similar role in creating an illusory connection between the black proletariat and the black haute bourgeoisie. It serves to create a form of false consciousness by pretending that Eric Garner and Henry Louis Gates or Barack Obama have meaningful shared interests.

I actually agree with your perspective, but I have to call you out for the meandering clusterfuck of language in the bolded section. "Serving to create a form of false consciousness by pretending" is called "making people think" or just "lying".

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Gantolandon posted:

"Here's why you really should sleep with me to be a good feminist!" - an LF goon discovering importance of intersectionality.

The possibility of anyone saying what you put in quotes is exactly why I said that utterly thorough egalitarianism WASN'T desirable.

Mortley fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 8, 2014

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Gantolandon posted:

It's actually better than McGill's essay, as it describes the problem more clearly.
Besides all the boring and distracting stuff at the beginning about the dude's preferences for certain television actors, the extended Vampire's Castle analogy is very silly.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Helsing posted:

Well I guess whatever uses this thread had have run their course but I guess that on some level this clusterfuck of a discussion is kind of instructive.

Do you really think any political forum would look much better? The internet doesn't exactly bring out the best in most people when it comes to debates like this one and the right wingers and liberals in D&D don't exactly distinguish themselves in terms of ideas or personal conduct.

Yeah, discussing politics online is kind of like democracy: it's godfuckingawful, and better than all the alternatives (i.e. boring and alienating your friends and/or never discussing politics).

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Space Whale posted:

I realize you're probably still pissed at me but I agree with this 100%, not that I want my sentiments to it to make it look bad by association.

I wanted to agree with Job Truniht but I was hoping he would go back and edit that post. I can't follow exactly what was being said.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
I know the consensus was that this thread derailed repeatedly and went to poo poo, but the last 5 posts have followed exactly what the article in the OP recommends - in activism, look for concrete policy recommendations which are informed by theory rather than political vaporware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Yeah, "there was once an instance of a problem after a policy was enacted to counteract that problem" is not exactly a reason not to focus on policy.

I also used to really question the systems approach to politics, though. I don't want to give a bunch of details, but one of my friends works on energy policy in DC and went to an Ivy League school. I'm almost certain that he was trained by neoliberal technocrats, and when we argued, I had just read "A Brief History of Neoliberalism" by Harvey.

My friend basically approaches a problem like "how do we set the price of electricity in a certain market?" as an issue of computer modeling. You set parameters - e.g. "don't let corporations exploit the system" - and the computer spits out a way to structure the costs that is ideal.

"Policy as market efficiency" is of course one of the hallmarks of neoliberal thinking, and the point-by-point of his final policy recommendations were out of my wheelhouse. I had one point of disagreement with him - I said, "what you're doing is political, in the sense that it is an argument about the ideal way to run society. You should think of it as political, not only as an engineering problem." He disagreed, saying that there was simply a best way of doing things, like there's a best way to build a bridge.

I guess what I'm thinking through here is - there's a distinction to be made between focusing on policy in discussing politics and disregarding entirely the core issues, right? My friend didn't want to consider economic justice in the creation of his model.

edit: thanks for your input Guy; very interesting.

Mortley fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 14, 2014

• Locked thread