Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Mortley posted:

Here are some random questions that might start a discussion.
What's it like when something really sad happens, like a family member dying? How do you feel when you see people who drink too much? What event or emotion if any has kept you awake at night? What's it like trying to date? What are your red flags? How are your finances? How do you feel about your ethnic and cultural background?

I'm told that I'm a pretty stoic and calm dude by the people around me so I'll try and give you my two cents. Any given time of day I'm generally sitting just to the happy side of neutral. Content I'd say. The best way I can describe it is it works sort of like a pendulum. Most of the time I'm feeling fine, but the pendulum swings around if I'm happy, sad, angry, frustrated, jealous, anxious, etc. But no matter where it goes given some time it returns back the center.

I've had ups and downs, victories and disasters, but time heals all wounds.

As for your question

1. Depends on the circumstances. When my grandfather died I was angry and sad because he died from a medical mistake. I'm still a little sore over it, but it's in the past and can't be changed and so that wound has scared over mostly. Like a dull ache. When my grandmother died I was happy and sad. She had Alzheimer's and didn't recognize us anymore and had no idea why she was in the Alzheimer wing of a nursing home and simply stopped eating. I was sad that she was gone, but happy that wherever she was she wasn't living the hell of Alzheimers.

2. I mainly just feel sad that I can't help them.

3. Either anger or creativity. If something made me angry enough, generally someone being poo poo to another person, I'll stay awake for an extra hour or so stewing on it. Very rare though. If my brain is churning over something I want to write or make then I'll also have trouble falling asleep.

4. I've dated a few times, but it never really worked out due to lack of chemistry.

5. My finances are fine. I have a lot of debt from school, but I'm budgeting to chip away at them and throwing spare money at them when I have some while saving enough for myself so I can eat out every once in a while or go to a movie or buy a video game or something.I figure I can throw every spare dollar at them and be miserable for 8 years or live a little and take 10 years.

6. Don't have an ethnic background. My family is originally German, but that's going a long way back.

I am curious why you're focusing on people who have never suffered from depression or anxiety. The other people in the thread that have been through it and come out again would be a wealth of knowledge and can compare and contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Mortley posted:

Thanks, last two posters. To the last guy: oh yeah I totally agree that the compare/contrast with other people who went through periods of emotionally instability is invaluable, especially for people like me, but that's the thing: I posted this out of genuine curiosity and not the desire for help. It's super easy to get people who've been through therapy to talk about their feelings, but it's super rare for other people to do so.

Ah gotcha. Let me know if there's anything else you want to know.

• Locked thread