Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just started a rewatch based on this thread. Despite all the good British dramas of the past couple years this still might be my favourite TV we've made this decade. The first two eps of s1 are two of my favourites but 'White Bear' is absolutely the best so far imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
White Bear is one I always thought might not work as well for Americans as it does for Brits. Do they really have tabloid justice to the extent we have here?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone who doesn't know much about the tabloid justice stuff in White Bear should know that in the early 00s a bunch of people vandalised the home of a paediatrician because they got confused between that and 'paedophile'

(its pronounced 'pee-doe-file' over here not 'ped-o-file')

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
seems somewhat silly to make a new thread 1. months from the episodes actually airing and 2. right after this one had already been bumped

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I keep meaning to post more about the episodes I saw but forgetting. I'll try and find the time later. I saw the episodes Nosedive, San Junipero, and Shut Up and Dance, in that order. The first ep is the Schur/Jones scripted one and is more overtly funny - kinda feels like if the show had actually had an American remake, but a good one. Second is very different in tone from any other BM episode while third is very much in the style from the past two seasons. I think the third was my favourite - Jerome Flynn is hilarious in it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did you just bump a thread after 24 hours to bitch and whine about spoilers in a post that contains no spoilers? Literally get out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vitamin P posted:

It's always horrible. The stories are good and there are lovely moments in some episodes, but they all end either on a horrible twist or just the gut wrenchingly unpleasant logical conclusion of the narrative.

just fwiw, flashy_mcflash, this is why i feel SJ doesn't really feel like Black Mirror. I have a lot of thoughts on the ending, but I'll save them until the episode's been out a few days.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yo other than maybe swapping merits and christmas that's my exact order, nice

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
everyone make sure to hang out in IRC so i can spoil some episodes for you 10 minutes before the end

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sepinwall is cool on the new season: http://hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-black-mirror-glitches-in-its-transition-to-netflix

His thoughts on SJ are similar to what I said earlier too, wrt how I thought it was unlike Black Mirror. He also considers it the best one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
from the article:

quote:

Without revealing too much about its story, the biggest twist is that it's a Black Mirror episode that shows a new piece of technology working the way it's meant to, and in a fashion that at least provides real benefits for some, even as the story points out its pitfalls. In moments, it's almost shocking in its optimism.

come on, man.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's unlike Black Mirror because of it's optimism, but it's like Black Mirror because

It's also more human than most of the new installments. The better Black Mirror episodes tend to offer a strong balance of character drama along with the social satire — "Be Right Back," for instance, is about how our online profiles are no substitute for our actual personalities, but it's also an intimate story of grief and loss — but only a few of the new ones ("San Junipero" and "Playtest" in particular) seemed as interested in the people as the technology.

I guess it's up to you to decide if technology's impact on humanity or straight up pessimism is Black Mirror's ethos. There's arguments to be made for both, but I think the former is both more interesting and a more useful concept of what the show is supposed to be.

I never said it was completely unlike the rest of the show in any way. I said tonally it was different from other episodes, and the optimism (as well as willingness to show this technology in a positive light) is what I was referring to.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Relevant: http://dresdencodak.com/2009/09/22/caveman-science-fiction/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Usually midnight western, 3am Eastern, 8am UK, etc

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahaha Shut Up and Dance will break you all

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My main issue with San Junipero is that it makes a really strong argument for why she chooses not to live there forever, with all the stuff about her dead husband, but then she just does anyway? With nothing shown to change her mind, she just isn't doing it and then is yay the end?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't super impressed by Playtest overall - I think it works better in individual moments than when you look at the big picture. The lead character really sucked but the dude from Everybody Wants Some is such a likeable actor that it balances out. The Bioshock reference was a cute moment though.

Now onto Men Against Fire. Is this episode set in the Wayward Pines universe?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I considered the ending of Shut Up and Dance during that scene people have mentioned at the beginning, but then totally forgot about that with everything else going on.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't sure what the point of it was at first, but I think the idea is meant to be if 4chan activist internet vigilante types who do stuff like post people's addresses were to go further in their methods.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Screenwipe is how I originally came across Brooker back in 07 or so, and it still holds up as an incredibly funny and astute series.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tatsujin, you mind being a little more careful with the spoilers? I still haven't seen Hated in the Nation yet :(

Men Against Fire is crazy over-obvious but I did like it once the twist is actually revealed. I feel the same as whoever said the subject appeals to them even if it is portrayed in a heavy-handed manner. It's an important topic and I'm glad it got its day in this season without going uber-political.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are you calling the protagonist "actively offensive" because he gets something about Harry Potter wrong?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dangerdoom volvo posted:

its cool that people all over are already way on board w/ the events of shut up

we already had some sociopath on board with white bear itt so it's hardly surprising

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

unlawfulsoup posted:

You are entitled to your opinion naturally, but I didn't see him in any way being offensive and I think he was just meant to be relatable (somewhat) character. It just seems like an odd criticism that a black mirror character has to be twisted/detestable or some kind of minority. He was just a vessel on how the lamest dudes psyche sort of collapsed in upon itself in a kind of interesting way.

My larger issue is that it was kind of pointless, it is an interesting concept but they simply went nowhere with it.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think they just have a different definition of "offensive" to the rest of us because their posts baffle me a lil bit.

Watching 6 now. The gently caress is with the bees

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why do so many people want a Karin spinoff? Her character is absolutely miserable. No fun to watch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
First half of Hated in the Nation was ok but 51 minutes in and this just became really loving stupid and awful

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Final third of Hated in the Nation was the best but it's still the worst by far. The mixture of a complete lack of subtlety in the main theme, a technological feature that thematically doesn't connect to the whole twitter thing at all and makes the whole episode way goofier and dumber, and a dour, humourless lead character meant barely any part of it worked for me.

So 431526, I think.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone mentioned earlier that the robot bees in Hated in the Nation are meant to represent the internet hivemind. I did consider this, as well as how people can "swarm" a hated person on social media, but as was also mentioned it was just too heavy-handed. Plus I think I just find "robot bees that kill people" too inherently stupid.

I really want someone to explain to me why they enjoyed watching Kelly Macdonald's character. She had no personality at all and was so rubbish :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought he was a bit younger too. But I don't think it takes away from the episode - Bicyclops' reasons for why it's effective still hold up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

f1av0r posted:

How can you call the dude from playtest insufferable? Like, he's pretty much just a friendly easy going guy. If he's insufferable I'd be interested to know what sufferable looks like.

he doesn't have a encyclopaedic knowledge of the harry potter boy wizard series therefore he's an irredeemable shitlord

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the fact there were already people going to those depths just to feel anything doesn't bode well for the future of the world.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
but shut up and dance IS a dark comedy episode, still, despite being bleak

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

(which is why I find it so absolutely weird people honestly try and pretend that, like, Hated in the Nation fails because it's too "out there". So you're telling me that being able to make an exact duplicate of someone based off their social media postings, a dystopian future where people perform exercise solely to earn completely meaningless faux currency, the ability to block someone in real life, a town where everyone in it is an actor and they wipe criminals' minds daily solely to subject them to horrible trauma for societal amusement/revenge, and a cartoon character getting elected as the leader of a country are all totally believable, but techno bees isn't? Uh huh)

the issue with the techno bees isn't that they're too "out there", it's that they're goofy and dumb

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like Film Crit Hulk a lot usually but his article on Black Mirror is a piece of poo poo it's basically "why isn't this show woke, 0/10"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Danger posted:

It sounds like the main misstep in that Film Crit Hulk example is not picking up on UK tabloid culture, instead linking it to Black Lives Matter for some reason.

w/r/t White Bear, absolutely. and then when he was confronted on it he just went "but Black Lives Matter is a thing in the UK too!!!!" ignoring the fact the episode is coming up to four years old.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wanna specify that, despite the gimmick, I think he's one of the best film and TV writers on the net. But I can't loving believe how much he missed the mark there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Griefor posted:

I still find it weird that so many people complain that it is silly, because even though it is, most episodes are if you think about it too hard. My guess is that it's more about different things breaking suspension of disbelief for different people.

Yep, that's exactly what it is. I can buy most of the silly stuff this show throws at us but robot bees are a totally different breed of silly, and don't feel suitable for Black Mirror at all.

e: gently caress how does someone manage to post before me EVERY SINGLE TIME I think I'm fine not having to quote the post immediately above

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sure but it's probably more clinic in Switzerland than shotgun blast to the face

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
for real. it's comparatively stinky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Arguably a mediocre scandinavian thriller meets x-files ripoff pilot is far less aspirational than the show's usual thing, but whatever floats your boat