Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I think Arnold's 'I AM... A MACHINE' scene in T3 is quite good as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Axetrain posted:

Elderly Schwarzenegger getting shoehorned into this is really giving me the vibe that they are just going to churn this out without effort to cash in on nostalgia bucks (again).

Edit: Well effort is a bit unfair to the actual craftsmen who will work on this, but overall it looks to me like quality is not a priority. Still I can hope, IMO T2 is the best action movie ever and I even liked t3 somewhat and thought its biggest problem was being a follow up to the best of the best and really just being sorta generic (salvation can die in a fire).

Honestly, if the film is just some vehicle to get Arnold back playing the role that made him famous, I'd support it for that. The dude probably loves it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I was being facetious (hard to tell, I know). Once there's a second terminator sent back it goes from "It was a last ditch effort by the machines to stave off defeat" to "apparently they can use time travel as much as they want."

In T2 (the script), I think it was 'We sent Kyle back, then the others went back and then we blew up the time machine' or something like that.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

INH5 posted:

I guess that makes some sort of sense, though the fact that these sorts of narrative contortions are required to reconcile the two stories does not suggest a well maintained continuity.

And this is without even touching on the giant mess of how exactly does time travel work in this universe, and if time travel changes the past* who was the father of the John Conner that sent Kyle Reese back "the first time around," and oh no I've gone cross-eyed.

I've literally never understood this criticism of time travel. John Connor was always fathered by Reese because Reese always went back in time. Nothing was ever really changed. The whole criticism that there must be an original timeline where John had no father (what) is purely because we see the film from an outside perspective, I guess?

It only gets confusing when you bring T2, T3, T4 and such into the mix.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Also, TSCC was legitimately good and could have been great if it hadn't been caught in the writer's strike. It did have some big problems though. It's interesting because the series had a fair few of the people being T3 in it and it feels like they took a lot of the ideas from T3 and made them better and more realized.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

INH5 posted:

I was talking specifically about T2 and the problems its story creates in regards to reconciling it with T1. T1 by itself has consistent time travel rules. It's the other parts of the franchise that bring up awkward questions. A lot of which goes back to the original movie being written without any intention of ever creating sequels.

True enough.

Can someone answer me why the Terminator franchise is weird with legal stuff? Like how TSCC could basically use everything except T-800s and the word 'Terminator' in character dialogue?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

INH5 posted:

Personally, I'm not so sure about that. Every other important character has been recast at least once. At this point, John Conner has been played by 6 different actors in various parts of the franchise (7 if you include an infant used in one scene of T2). The fact that Arnold's characters have never been recast makes him exceptional, more than anything.

On the other hand, the failure of Salvation and TSCC might suggest that Terminator really does need Arnold to succeed. I certainly imagine that it would have been difficult to get people to invest in the new movie if Mr. Schwarzenegger hadn't been on board.

Sure, but John Connor ages. He goes from a kid to a man. The Terminator... not so much.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

I had very little hopes for TSCC but the show I think turned a corner when it brought in Derek and new Cromartie. The three dots story I think derailed the show pretty hard and once you get out of that story it improves a lot, again.

Sure, the idea of there being rogue Terminator units, alternate timelines, future war stuff and what not could feel like fanfiction, but I think it really did expand a lot of concepts of Terminator mythos to something much different than a movie franchise would ever give it the time or the chance to explore.

The thing about TSCC is that, sure, it has a bit of a fanfictiony feel, but it doesn't really come up with anything new or contradictory but builds on concepts introduced in Terminator 2. For example, rogue Terminators - isn't that precisely what the T-800 is once he's able to write his own programming? After all, there has to be a reason why Skynet deliberately disabled that functionality. Let's say the T-800 had survived after the steel mill, or had been active for much longer... how would his distinct machine intelligence have evolved?

TSCC tries to grapple with those sorts of ideas.

The issues with the show come from its plotting and how it was written both in the middle of a huge strike and in the midst of the 'MYSTERIOUS CONSPIRACY MYSTERY' plots phase of the early 2000s (see also: Heroes, Lost, Battlestar Galactica). This is the biggest flaw in the show.

It really did give the ideas exhibited in the films a bit of a exploration and breathing room. For a TV series version of the Terminator mythos, it was really quite good. It was, however, radically different to what I imagine people expected from a Terminator TV series and when that combined with the plotting issues of the show, really hurt it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Shadoer posted:

However I agree, it's main problem was the plotting and that it came in a bad time with the writers strike. That period in Season 2 where there was like 3 poo poo episodes in a row just killed ratings, somewhat undeservedly as a bunch of pretty good episodes came right afterwards.

Those would be the two 'Skynet town' episodes and then the episode that was literally 'it was all a dream!' right?

Yeah. Those were horrid.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

INH5 posted:

I've recently been rewatching Season 2, and I can confirm that at the very least, Riley being from the future must have been planned from the beginning, because they were dropping hints from the very first episode that character appears in. Rewatching Season 2 after you know about the later reveals is a very different experience because of things like this.

That's a common misconception. The string of navel-gazing episodes happened after the show was moved to the Friday Night Death Slot (which means the writing was already on the wall by that point), and they did not appear to cause exceptional rating decreases. A TSCC fan once did a detailed analysis of the ratings and concluded that the series showed a steady decline in ratings throughout its run, that this was because it just wasn't the sort of show that could succeed on network TV, and that the writer's strike is the only reason the show got more than one season, because it left it with virtually no competition when it started out.

But regardless, I don't think those episodes were a good move on the writers' part. They must have known that the show's future was in jeopardy at that point, so those episodes would have been better spent actually developing the plot and hopefully wrapping things up before the end. Not that anything actually was wrapped up in the end.

Or was it?

Someone on this Forum posted:

Future John Connor was supposed to be this legendary guy who rose up to fight the machines but the machines knew nothing about him. How's that possible?

This is how:
Conner shows up from nowhere and becomes a legend.
The Machines send someone back in time to try and kill him in the past but they haven't got any idea where to look so go after a list of people that could be his mother.
This leads to his birth.
Skynet keeps trying to send terminators back to kill him as a kid but all that does is force John to be trained at an early age in guerilla warfare, leadership and other legendary soldiery stuff.
This also results in a young John Conner being sent to the future armed with future knowledge and a legendary soldier skill-set to lead the rebellion and force skynet to send someone back in time to try and kill him.
Because he was sent to the future as a kid, Young Skynet is never able to find out about him.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I don't know. It's like when people complain that TSCC had 'too much religious symbolism' but don't mention the swathes of it in T1 and T2. Terminator films are incredibly political and you can always just - I don't know - not respond to SMG's posts?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Full Battle Rattle posted:

From the terminator wiki.

Yeah, it comes from the Terminator Vault book that came out recently. It only works when you consider T1 and T2. T3, T4 and TSCC all don't work with that premise. I personally like it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Except in terminator 1 skynet was about to be destroyed by the resistance. If it could take action to increase it's chances of termination then not using the time machine at all would also count as an action.

Also wouldn't all these changes to the timeline end up changing its personality considering that nature of it's development is changed as well.

Except the first T-800 had to go back in time to fulfil its role in the loop.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I'm not sure if I'd call Robert Patrick 'average' looking. He's very distinctive in appearance as the T-1000 despite being really bland at the same time. It's like, you'd never look twice at him, but once you know what he is you can pick him out incredibly easily.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

He was fast enough to catch up to the motorcycle (once it was moving), too, in some of the takes. He was running really drat fast.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Off the top of my head the poo poo that aint in the original movie:

- Sarah talking to Reese in the mental ward
- T-1000 scouring John's room and also killing the dog
- Cutting open the T-800's head and removing the chip
- T-1000 loving up towards the end (getting stuck to/copying railing/floor grating)
- Dumb future ending

Probably missed some bits.

and i think the stuff with terminator trying to smile and assorted things in the desert is part of that director's cut stuff, too

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

As a kid I didn't mind it, but watching T2 in recent years it always seemed weird that the T-1000 would mimic Sarah Connor but wouldn't, you know, terminate her when it had the chance.
I mean yeah it's probably James Cameron coasting on the "Rule of Cool" because goddamn is it badass having the real Sarah ambush the T-1000 from behind and then fire that shotgun until it runs dry.

You could maybe say that the T-1000 didn't want to run the risk of John coming across his mother's body and therefore knowing that the T-1000 might take her shape?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

If you think about it, T2 actually refutes the idea that destroying Skynet is the best way to change the future, because if the T-800 was able to learn to value human life, presumably Skynet could be reworked to the same end.

the tv series plays with this idea during its second season

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I find it weird that people think the Terminator in T2 should kill, like, a dozen people when it would be trying to maintain as low a profile as possible in the interest of protecting John Connor. It doesn't help the mission if he runs the risk of getting all the cops in the LA area after him because he cut a swath of destruction across the city getting there.

I showed the first two films to my girlfriend, one after the other. She had no knowledge of Terminator whatsoever. She thought the T-800 was the bad guy (or working with the T-1000 'because the film is about two Terminators') up until he told John to get down. The fact that he wasn't killing people didn't enter her mind, because he was still stabbing people and giving that one guy pretty severe burns.

It works really well as-is and having the T-800 tear through civilians in the mall with "reckless abandon" and "defy it's no command" demonstrates a surprising lack of understanding the character of the Terminator. It is not a person. It follows orders to the point of tearing off its own limbs. Even when given the ability to think for itself, it is still beholden by coded commands that render it unable to self-terminate. "I know now why you cry, but it is something I can never do" is the key phrase and the whole trick of the film is that it puts the audience and John in the same POV, of seeing the killing machine as an ideal father.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I'm not missing your original point because your original point is stupid. The Terminators in the first two films are completely different with a completely different set of objectives.

Maybe you can tell me why a super-logical machine given a mission to defend a young child for what seems to be an indefinite period of time would risk attracting significant amounts of police attention by killing people in a biker bar and in a shopping mall? These are public places and while it isn't the age of smartphones and Internet, a six foot dude in black leather on a motorcycle probably wouldn't get too far if he was leaving a trail of bodies in his wake with "reckless abandon".

I'm not even going to mention that a Terminator is not a character that should be associated with the term "reckless". Terminators are exacting and precise. You act like the Uncle Bob Terminator should be offended by people putting out a cigarette on its chest when the action can't do anything to hurt it - and the act of ignoring it might even be more helpful to its goals!

The Terminator is designed to kill, yes, but while Terminators are extremely single-minded they are not stupid. In the first film, the Terminator is there to kill every Sarah Connor in the city and there is little that the police can do to stop it. In T2, the Terminator is there to protect and how can it protect John Connor if the police are hounding it?

All it would take is one bullet hitting John to change the future.

It maintains as low a profile as possible. Your original point would create a completely different film. The fact that the Terminator has a different mission is what completely alters its character. This should not be hard to understand.

John gives the Terminator the order not to kill because he - and we, the audience - know what Arnold might start doing at the drop of a hat. We don't need to see something in the film we already know and which the characters already have reason to believe.

There is precedent for that behaviour. It's called the entire first film and the fact that it approaches violence without a care in the world in the second film.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Like, I get that's it one thing to try and engage with SMG's critical discourse which takes a completely different way of looking at film, but you could at least try to understand basic things like characterisation and how the film is built demonstrates it without explicitly telling you things and how the film plays upon existing audience expectations to assist with that. Like, this is basic stuff.

An intelligent machine - which the Terminator is, even if not strictly self-aware - should and does demonstrate different tactics based on its primary objective. In the first film, this is to kill. In the second film, it is to protect.

It absolutely doesn't matter that 'Arnold wanted to be a good guy' or whatever. Maybe he did. It doesn't matter one iota because the film tells you everything you need to know about why the T-800 specifically isn't killing people.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Before the movie came out, I thought Christian Bale was a great casting choice for the character of John Connor. But he wasn't. Because his character did almost nothing in the entire film except play straight man to Terminator With a Heart of Gold and worry about what's to come.

I'd say he's a drat sight better than what's his name in the new one.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Was Sam Worthington really so bad in Salvation? I rather liked his character, it just probably shouldn't have been in a Terminator movie. Plus they should've done something more interesting with him like 1) not bullshit restore his body 2) have him struggle with his programming to show that he's actually a robot and 3) keep the ending where he replaces Connor.

I always thought it was weird that, like, there's this part where half of his face gets blown off and instead of doing the classic half human/half endoskeleton face, they kept the normal eye on the metal side of his face. It screams of some sort of 'No, Mr Worthington needs to have his whole face on display for this movie!'

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Watched the first Terminator again for the first time in years, and it somehow escaped me that Arnold spends most of the movie with his eyebrows singed off. Weird.

I always had something of a different response. For a lot of T1, I'd be sitting there thinking 'Why does Arnold look so weird and creepy?' And, yeah, I suddenly realised that his eyebrows had been singed off. He looks like a completely different person.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

In the original script, Skynet was preserving elements of the human race or something like that.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I'm kind of sick of this idea that showing hypothetical images (ie, dream sequences of various kinds) makes film less professional. It's one of the bigger things dragging blockbusters down, IMO, if you don't get into the deeper underlying factors like "the producers have no idea what the gently caress they're doing".

I don't mind the scene but, really, it doesn't add anything to the film. It's maybe the only scene from the Director's Cut that I think you could leave out with no ill effect. We already know that Sarah wants to get out and find John - we don't really need her hallucinating Kyle Reese, even if it is a nice moment.

Dream sequences don't really tend to tell the audience anything new.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Or T1 is a closed loop and Reese is always the father because he has always been the father. :science:

It's obviously this.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Pops Ghostly posted:

That's impossible. Time Travel is somewhat feasible, but the closed loop theory is not. I don't understand why people can't seem to grasp this simple fact.

Please tell us more, Doctor Time Travel. :allears:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Pops Ghostly posted:

No he is not. Ultimately Kyle was just one soldier of many. If he didn't get the assignment, it would have been someone else. Maybe they would have fallen in love, maybe not. But Sarah would have had sex and given birth eventually. Even if she just went around having one night stands in order to get pregnant. Cameron is a feminist. He understands the power of womanhood and celebrates it. Sarah is the true hero of the Terminator franchise. Cameron understands that humanity's salvation lies in the hands of women, not men or cyborgs.

"The audience has to want to gently caress her."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Exactly. There's no need to invent a string of fathers, since Reese fits the narrative set in the movie.

One wonders how Sarah would have raised John to be set for the future war when I don't see how a waitress in LA would have the right skills or knowledge.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I've always seen it as a series of branching timelines as opposed to 'alternate'. But Terminator 1 always happens. Kyle is always John's father. Speculating about an unknown Connor father is kind of ridiculous.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

This is true, but this just suggests he hasn't thought it through. The extra scene turns him into a similar character to Hammond in Jurassic Park. A good man, an optimist, who accidentally dooms us all.

Yeah. I really like the scene for that reason.

I'm also pretty sure I've never seen the original cut of T2, only the Director's Cut.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Well since he left it on the floor, and you picked through it like garbage. If its not there in the movies, that's pretty much fan fiction land. It got cut for a reason and it was for necromancy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQwjojvRNI4

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I'm throwing some fuel on this fire.

Hey, SMG! Did you check out the lyrics for the song in the Genesys trailer? They seem to fit perfectly with your anti-Capitalism reading of the Terminator series, strangely enough.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

That guilt theory of yours is interesting. In the Terminator Vault, Cameron said that's basically why everything happens how it happens. Skynet defends itself when people try to turn it off, then wants to ensure that it is never created as a consequence of feeling guilt.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I think James Cameron said that he envisioned that Terminators had a heart and stomach sort of deal inside their body to provide nourishment for their skin, but it doesn't seem to have ever really gone anywhere. Like others have said, I always thought Terminators were a short infiltration job - they're not long term spies, they just look human enough to get inside a bunker and start shooting.

Also, these Genesys screenplay rumors going around the Internet sound incredibly disheartening, wow.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It's something like...

When Reese is being sent back in time, John Connor is attacked by the T-5000 - which is a cloud of nanomachine Terminators (or something)! Reese has to watch Connor get turned into a new sort of Terminator from the inside out as he is sent back in time. Connor has been heavily implied to be the big bad guy of the film and is apparently sent back in time to ensure Skynet's rise.

http://www.terminatorfiles.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6122

edit: http://screenrant.com/terminator-5-genisys-plot-details/

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 21, 2015

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It certainly leads me to understand why they cast that guy in that role, however.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

I glanced at these for a minute and all things considered, there's something about the film I haven't heard a lot about. I'm spoilering in case. Given all the promotions for the film, the use of - - Matt Smith - - in the film hasn't been talked about all that much.

However, watching the trailer after reading some of those, at about the 53s mark, a figure that looks like blurry Smith in the background when everyone is watching them send Kyle back turns and looks right at John. If the description/rumors from those links are accurate, and what is shown is what I think it is, I'm surprised the filmmakers chose to go that direction with them.

Well, looking at what you suggested... the head snap-to-look motion of that figure is very Terminator-esque!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

They are seriously pushing "hey guys this is really truly honestly a Terminator movie" with all the blatant references in shots and lines. Probably immediately followed by an assumed "...unlike Salvation".

Also, because it's a trailer, it has that stupid loving "there's a storm coming" in the middle of the "can't be reasoned with" quote which annoys me in comically over-the-top ways.

The trailer looks pretty good, in my opinion, and it definitely feels like Terminator. I'd be pretty excited for it if I hadn't read those leaks. The continued lack of Matt Smith in the trailer, however, makes it definitely seem like the leaks are legit. :smith:

• Locked thread